Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:11 am 

It's relatively under-used in music, i look for music that uses DARK pipe organ or dark (special) keyboard layers that make you feel like youre in a crypta, dark church or graveyard. I'm talking Horror atmosphere here. Can be cheap sounding too (like stormcrowfleet by Skepticism)

I made a topic some while ago about Goth music in which i searched something pointing in that direction (but with Deathrock) but didn't get much out of it. I'm not looking for just Metal, throw at me whatever you got. Could be even ambient stuff.

I know about Lychgate but they are too progressive and fast for my taste. I know about Cradle of Filth (obviously) and i'm not searching for Traditional Doom Acts who use Hammond Organ.
Just pure simple BLEAK/DARK atmospheric music. The most i found was in Funeral Doom, but i'm looking also for something little bit more accessible (nothing against Funeral Doom, but i wouldn't listen this Genre when i'm out on the way to something)

Here are some examples what i'm looking for:

Youtube: show

Got something for me?

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 pm 

Ukrainian project Moloch's album "Meine Alte Melancholie" may be of interest to you. It's a dark ambient/dungeon synth album that primarily features a dark organ sound to create a nice and dark subdued atmosphere.

https://molochukr.bandcamp.com/album/me ... elancholie

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 pm 

Also, check out Russian act Humandeath. Strange, minimal and inhuman organ music. I love it, but I can understand it may not be to everyone's taste.

https://archive.org/details/gt245Humandeath-IcedShore

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:28 pm 

Check out Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:31 pm 

Mystifier's third album? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDRE-OVqAtE

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 am 

I just found this album (https://www.legacy.de/exklusives/2137-e ... omnia.html), especially the track " Funeral Begotten" is kinda what i'm looking for. Hear that chanting and organ? So perfect. It's like you take the soundtrack of THE OMEN and mix it up with Black Metal.

@Unity Midnight Syndicate and Nox Arcana are great. Now this combined with other styles of music would be perfect

Diplomate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:58 pm 

I replied to you in your goth thread, but I now see what you were looking for. Those bands fit somewhat, but if you are specifically looking for gothic/crypt atmosphere, you definitely need to look into the neoclassical darkwave genre. I'm surprised Dead Can Dance's Within the Realm of a Dying Sun is not mentioned here, most bands (in any genre) who have a gothic sound are influenced by them. Nox Arcana is good for this, as Unity mentioned, also check out Dark Sanctuary (very depressing, I don't usually listen to them) and Elend.

My favourite band of this genre is Dargaard, but they are a little bit lighter and more fantasy-oriented compared to the other bands in this genre. Still, maybe you should check them out:

Damballah wrote:
I just found this album (https://www.legacy.de/exklusives/2137-e ... omnia.html), especially the track " Funeral Begotten" is kinda what i'm looking for. Hear that chanting and organ? So perfect. It's like you take the soundtrack of THE OMEN and mix it up with Black Metal.

@Unity Midnight Syndicate and Nox Arcana are great. Now this combined with other styles of music would be perfect

Do you know about Tristania? Perhaps they are not dark enough, but to me they are the best band with gothic/church atmosphere.

Abigor's Nachthymnen also has a medieval/gothic atmosphere, and it's black metal. The female singer and vocalist/keyboardist on some of their albums are from Dargaard.

If these examples aren't dark enough, then you should stick with funeral doom or black/doom. There's nothing darker than that.

Update: I have just found you are Austrian, you probably already know about Abigor and Dargaard then.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:01 am 

@Diplomate

Yeah i'm austrian, i knew them. That Abigor Album is indeed my favorite of all the Abigor albums.

Thanks for your recommends.

I just don't like that Tristiania music-concept. I know a lot of bands who call themself Gothic Metal use that concept but female vocals and acoustic guitar is not what i'm looking for. It's way too much on the "romantic" side of things. I'm looking for pure dusty crypt stuff. Like the very beginning of this song:
It feels like an army of demons open a portal in a church and grab you. very horrific sounding. Thats my jam! When i heard the beginning of this song i thought to myself " i never heard something as bleak like that"

Diplomate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:49 am 

Damballah wrote:
@Diplomate

Yeah i'm austrian, i knew them. That Abigor Album is indeed my favorite of all the Abigor albums.

Thanks for your recommends.

I just don't like that Tristiania music-concept. I know a lot of bands who call themself Gothic Metal use that concept but female vocals and acoustic guitar is not what i'm looking for. It's way too much on the "romantic" side of things. I'm looking for pure dusty crypt stuff. Like the very beginning of this song:
It feels like an army of demons open a portal in a church and grab you. very horrific sounding. Thats my jam! When i heard the beginning of this song i thought to myself " i never heard something as bleak like that"

I got you. In that case, unfortunately, I don't think you'll find what you want outside of metal. Usually those gothic/goth/neoclassical darkwave bands aren't looking for an extreme horror sounds, more like mildly creepy and romantic, as you said. Perhaps you could look into the dark ambient genre, I think the bands you are looking for reside there. And search for more funeral doom and bleak black metal, of course. :)

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:50 pm 

This is what corpses rise from the grave to.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:28 am 

droneriot wrote:

This is what corpses rise from the grave to.

I bought that album when i was 14, still have it on my shelf. It's a great record and especially this song is my favorite on the whole album. But when the more ambient part fades off, it's just old school death/thrash. But yeah, the keyboard segments are what i'm looking for.

I found Amartia by Pantheist which sounds kinda like it:

Also the Band ILLIMITABLE DOLOR:

But Funeral Doom gets a bit tidious after a while and some of it lacks in agression. I want those keyboard segments in ass kicking music

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 am 

Rotting Christ - Passage To Arcturo
(feels like the inside of an old, dusty crypt)

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 am 

Damballah wrote:
I just found this album (https://www.legacy.de/exklusives/2137-e ... omnia.html), especially the track " Funeral Begotten" is kinda what i'm looking for.

While listening to this song, Lychgate come to my mind

https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/ ... glass-pill

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:29 am 

Have you tried Indesinence and their Vessels of Light and Decay album?

My collection

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:33 am 

deopisi wrote:
Damballah wrote:
I just found this album (https://www.legacy.de/exklusives/2137-e ... omnia.html), especially the track " Funeral Begotten" is kinda what i'm looking for.

While listening to this song, Lychgate come to my mind

https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/ ... glass-pill

Thanks, i followed that band sincethe first album just out of curiousity but they don't do it for me. They are way to progressiv for me. Too much dissonance and complex song structures.

@CrushedRevelation thanks i will check them out

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:50 am 

Also try Cemetary of Scream's first demo.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:52 pm 

Very original sounding band, horror like atmosphere but also sombre. Maybe what you're looking for. Check out their first two albums. Great for autumn too.

Vampyrique
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 pm 

metal:

Comedie Macabre - Blasphemia
Comédie Macabre - Agnus Dei (EP)

goth and deathrock:

Sopor Æternus - Es reiten die toten so schnell... (demo)

Radio Werewolf - A Symphony of Terror (aka their unreleased debut album)

Fear Cult - Your Darkest Romance

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:18 am 

@ miskatonic79 and Vampyrique

Thanks a lot, good songs that fit the atmosphere i'm looking for.

Especially The Equinox Ov The Gods are really blowing me away. They have that creepy haunting atmosphere (just listened the first two albums).
I like their deep goth-rock kinda voice, their Metal is neutral enough to not be counted into any subgenre style to take over, and their keyboards are on the perfect thin line between kitsch and serious great.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 pm 

Glad you liked them!! Yes, EOTG were such an original band, very cool sound. I haven't come across any other bands that sound like them.

Reply to topic