Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:18 pm 

Hello.

I'm looking for rock/metal songs/albums with an interesting rhythm section (prominent and dextrous fast/mid-tempo drums with uncommon time signatures and *more or less* noticeable bassline) and simple guitar melodies/riffs (which play a background supporting role or are used as an additional musical instrument to create a little variety here and there).
Some additional electronic music and keyboards are also allowed.
I'd prefer songs with clean vocals, nothing too aggressive/extreme.
Examples:
The Dismemberment Plan
https://youtu.be/UCYjv1W-KyM
https://youtu.be/olx95np3GTA

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:45 pm 

umm, your description had me interested, and then I clicked the links and they're nothing like what I expected... :/ I don't hear the "dextrous" fast drums on either, for.ex. I can do that lazy shuffle while making a sandwich.

if you're looking for stuff similar to the ones you posted, try The Police. I prefer the first two albums.

and let me know what you think of this

or this :D

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:29 am 

aloof, thanks for your time and for the recommendations, and I'm sorry that my examples disappointed you.

I've picked these songs in order to clarify the dominance of the rhythm section, the unusualness of the time signatures, and the simplicity of the guitars.
But, again: mid tempo drums are also very welcome, and I'm not looking for anything too fast/extreme. There are some moments on "The Face of the Earth" that sound faster, - that's enough for me.
And it's just not easy for me to find examples that are fast yet not too aggressive.

This song works (it's the borderline of aggressiveness for this request):
https://youtu.be/U6Yr0aZJyM0 (there is some catchy bassline that gets lost without headphones).
There is an amazing bassline on "Walking On The Moon", but the drums are lost in the mix / aren't loud enough.

The drums on "Love Like Blood" are more standard, but they are loud and dominant, and there are very interesting bassline and simple guitars, - therefore this song is the closest to what I'm looking for. I like it a lot.

The guitars on "Final Gates" are kinda distracting, but the bassline and drums are good.

Last edited by ~Guest 427139 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:40 am 

I'm starting to think you are IN The Dismemberment Plan and this thread is your cunning plug :p

thanks for listening to my recs. spend more time with The Police. their records are old, and Sting hated the drummer, but they have some incredible drum tracks, most notably on "Message in a bottle"...

will see if I think of anything else you might like. how bout "Locust" by Psychotic Waltz? I assume you know Rush?

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 pm 

Well, I know almost nothing about this type of rock/metal music, so my request was based on this thread:
https://rateyourmusic.com/board_message ... msg4410056
And yes, the albums "Emergency & I" and "Change" by The Dismemberment Plan are the closest to what I'm looking for. I don't want too aggressive punk/post-hardcore stuff, and I'm not really into progressive/math rock/metal guitar stuff either.

Thanks again for the recommendations! :)
Unfortunately, I know nothing about Psychotic Waltz and Rush, I'll check them out.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 am 

Try some Night Verses, their drummer is crazy

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:19 am 

i suppose you're familiar with primus and yes? (tho' maybe not if you haven't heard rush...)

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:11 am 

I thought of Primus too.

And this weird alt rock project, Kai Orion:
https://youtu.be/CrrnxrcqJdU

Maybe the Krautrock scene is worth investigating too... Check out this compilation for instance, to make you an idea:
https://youtu.be/qKpCKBfazX8?list=PLmTJ ... fqAgXhJJH8

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:36 pm 

Olika wrote:
The drums on "Love Like Blood" are more standard, but they are loud and dominant, and there are very interesting bassline and simple guitars, - therefore this song is the closest to what I'm looking for. I like it a lot.

If that's the closest, how about a prog metal song that follows a similar kind of rhythm but has a lot more drum work:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:22 pm 

Rompestromper, joppek, Morphine1873, droneriot, thanks a lot for your time and for the help.

About Rush, Yes, and Primus: I have to admit that my knowledge of this kind of rock music are close to zero. *shame*
[I've just always been into atmospheric/depressing side of things (like Anathema, Katatonia, Opeth's ''Damnation'', some albums by Pink Floyd, some post-rock music.., and that's all).]

Rush and Yes have such the impressively extensive discographies.. I like that ''Roundabout'' song by Yes, - the sound of the drums is loud enough and there is very interesting bassline, plus the vocals are very soft and beautiful.
I'll listen to both projects in more detail.

It will take some effort to get into those weird vocals/lyrics by Primus, but the mix of the drums, bass, and guitars on the album "Sailing The Seas Of Cheese" fits perfectly into the request. All those rhythms are very catchy, and this album has a 'nervous' mood that's similar to some intense songs from "Emergency & I", - I like it.

A description of the genre ''Krautrock'' seems promising and relevant to this request, I'll take a look at it.
Morphine1873, thanks for the tip and for the link to that compilation.

I find Kai Orion's music and vocals very atmospheric and beautiful, and those drums are quite interesting.

About Night Verses' albums: I very much enjoy all the mid tempo parts/songs with gentle clean vocals, but their fast and intense songs are way too extreme, aggressive, and chaotic for this request.

Both songs by Psychotic Waltz have very good drums, and I like them a lot, but ''Locust'' fits better because it's less aggressive.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:55 pm 

Might seem a strange suggestion, but there's a few Limp Bizkit songs that could be of interest. Obviously they're derided for their nu metal material, but they've got some more laid back songs too. Perhaps the drums are more straightforward than you'd like, but there's some cool stuff going on with the rhythm section regardless. Of course, you'll have to put up with Fred Durst to enjoy it (not a problem for me, but it is for many :-P )

Spoiler: show

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:27 am 

i think you'll also like the claypool lennon delirium (newer, less weird and mellower project of primus' vocalist/bassist)

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:57 am 

lordcatfish, thanks for the recommendation and for the examples.
I heard about Limp Bizkit but never really listened to their music.
There are definitely some very good basslines, and the drums are quite noticeable, too. I especially like the song "Re-Arranged".
The only problem with vocals I have is the electronic effects on "Everything (Explicit)", - I just don't like electronic vocal effects/processing at all. The rest of the vocals are good.

About The Claypool Lennon Delirium: it's more complicated for me musically, but I definitely can get into the vocals quite easily.
There are some interesting drums, and the bass sounds so amazingly loud and clear. I love it.
joppek, thanks again for the recommendation.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:51 am 

glad you liked a coupla of the songs I suggested... you might also wanna try Warlord and Fates Warning (both featuring Mark Zonder on drums, he's a very special drummer). the guitars and vocals also go ape on both bands, and the bass is not prominent in the mix (depsite both bands having awesome bass players), so maybe not what you're after though...

~Guest 427139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:02 am 

Yes, it would be perfect if there weren’t so many guitars, but I actually enjoy their mid tempo songs. aloof, thank you for the recommendations, I'll listen to both bands in more detail.

Bands like Warlord and albums like "Parallels" by Fates Warning are closer to what I'm looking for because they aren't too aggressive, and they have some idea about 'normal' song structure and sense of melody (even if it distracts from the rhythm section), so I can understand and enjoy the music, while I can never get into songs like this, for example, - https://youtu.be/oyh9CQTdV_k, - and even the vocals and loud bass don't help that much, it's just too chaotic to me.

Reply to topic