Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:25 pm 

I'm looking for bands that play technical death metal with high doses of dissonance (Ulcerate) and/or post metal influence (Nero di Marte). I also like the latest Gorguts releases but I'm not really looking for stuff like Obscura or From Wisdom to Hate. Stuff that I already know that might be similar to what I'm looking for: Zhrine and Karmacipher.

Thanks in advance!

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:36 am 

beyond terror beyond grace sound so much like ulcerate, they might as well be a cover band

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:18 am 

That I can remember right now:

Ulsect
Ad Nauseam
Phobocosm
Artificial Brain
Ufonaut
Crator
Baring Teeth
Convulsing
Brood Of Hatred
Intonate
Redemptor

Maybe not all of them will be exactly what you're after, but they're all worth checking out, trust me.

Andylicous
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:01 am 

I can really recommend Noctambulist:
https://helterskelterproductions.bandca ... desolation

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:51 pm 

Thanks, I'll check all the bands I don't know!

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:04 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Thanks, I'll check all the bands I don't know!

Let me know what you think, and let us know if you find any more good stuff.

Gorguts and Ulcerate are two of my all time favorite bands (along with Immolation, who I believe are also a huge influence on this entire sub-sub genre of technical dissonant death metal), as well as their blackened cousins like Deathspell Omega and Dodecahedron.

Granted I'm not all the time in the frame of mind for this kind of demanding music (I don't blast Obscura in the car when I'm driving to the supermarket) but it's one of my favorite "types" (?) of metal.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:19 am 

- Beyond Terror Beyond Grace are OK but there's something about the drums I'm not completely sold.

- Ulsect are great, I was already familiar with them and I love Dodecahedron too.

- I wasn't familiar with Ad Nauseam and I really enjoyed Nihil Quam Vacuitas Ordinatum Est
- Pretty much what I was looking for, thanks!
- Phobocosm are a little too cavernous for what I'm looking for but I'll probably come back to them when I want some new abyssal death metal.
- Artificial Brain are great, specially Infrared Horizon.
- Ufonaut? Do you mean Entropia? I haven't been able to find Ufonaut in the archives.

I'm checking Crator now, will check the rest of the stuff when I can. Thanks again!

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:05 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
- Ufonaut? Do you mean Entropia? I haven't been able to find Ufonaut in the archives.

What an idiot... Sorry man, my bad!! Entropia is the band, Ufonaut is the album... they have more but I'm only familiar with this one!

Ad Nauseum is sick! Can't wait for a follow up!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:44 am 

therealvivs wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

What an idiot... Sorry man, my bad!! Entropia is the band, Ufonaut is the album... they have more but I'm only familiar with this one!

Ad Nauseum is sick! Can't wait for a follow up!

Don't worry. I like them a lot, the next one is cool too, a bit more psycodelic and prog than Ufonaut but still cool. The first one is not so good, it sounds a lot more postrock-ish.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:57 am 

You likely already know them but a couple I havent seen mentioned Pyrrhon and Flourishing.

Another short lived band that might fit (though they are a bit more grindy) would be Okazaki Fragments

https://okazakideath.bandcamp.com/releases

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:59 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Pyrrhon and Flourishing.

Fuck YES.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:39 pm 

- I liked Crator. Maybe a bit too showy but enjoyable. I need to give it more spins though.
- Baring Teeth were ok too but the slower sections of their last album doesn't hit as hard as they should.
- I've known Convulsing for a while and there's something about them I don't really like but I can't put my finger on it. I think it may be the Porcupine Tree covers which are prett stupid if you ask me but I'm not sure (I really like some Porcupine Tree albums but I really don't need to listen to death metal covers of their songs).
- I didn't like Brood Of Hatred.
- Intonate sound great so far. Maybe too Gorguts/Obscura but I've enjoyed what I've listened from their album. Will keep listening for sure.
- Redemptor weren't bad but it's not what I'm looking for, too groovy for me.

- Noctambulist sound great but the "album" feels way too short. Wish it was at least 40 minutes or so.

- Okazaki Fragments are cool but not what I'm looking for, too "technical grindcore" for me.

- Pyrrhon: i actually remember enjoying them a lot but I haven't listened to their most recent stuff. Thanks for reminding me!
- I already knew Flourishing but they never grabbed me so maybe it's time to revisit their albums.

Overall I enjoyed most of what was posted, thanks for all the recommendations!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:52 am 

joppek wrote:
beyond terror beyond grace sound so much like ulcerate, they might as well be a cover band

Really? I've only heard Nadir, but it doesn't sound very much like anything by Ulcerate. It's roughly in the same genre, but they're really exploring completely different sides of it. The similarities boil down to technical, fast drums (which Nadir has much less emphasis on), and some dissonant riffs (which is certainly the bread and butter of Ulcerate, whereas for Beyond Terror Beyond Grace it's simply a basic element that they build other things upon). I admit that the first three minutes or so of Nadir could be an Ulcerate demo that had the lead guitars removed, but the album progresses to be much more melodic.

Throane should be pretty much exactly what you're looking for, I think. Especially if you're more into the atmosphere of Ulcerate than the sheer speed and technicality.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:30 am 

i suppose i was a bit too hyperbolic with that, but imo it's quite clear that ulcerate is by far their #1 influence, and the lesser emphasis on the drum theatrics could be explained by their drummer not being as good (which is hardly a criticism given the insane level of skill we're talking about)

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:01 pm 

Not really familiar with NDM but I got you covered on Ulcerate.

Disentomb's latest album sounds like Ulcerate doing brutal death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6nFXXcJXf4

Svart Crown also has that dissonance you are looking for along with a ritualistic & blackened edge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzQkizIJXU (NSFW cover art)

Ingurgitating Oblivion is another hidden gem. I think they are more ambitious than Ulcerate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFlkwqvOaOo

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:51 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Not really familiar with NDM but I got you covered on Ulcerate.

Disentomb's latest album sounds like Ulcerate doing brutal death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6nFXXcJXf4

Svart Crown also has that dissonance you are looking for along with a ritualistic & blackened edge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzQkizIJXU (NSFW cover art)

Ingurgitating Oblivion is another hidden gem. I think they are more ambitious than Ulcerate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFlkwqvOaOo

I'm not aware of Disentomb, will rectify that soon, however Svart Crown and Ingurgitating Oblivion are very good bands, both well worth checking out.

I'd also like to mention the band Sutrah.
They have only one album, but it became one of my favourite death metal albums of recent times by far. It's heavy, powerful, technical and dissonant and superbly written, with it's own vibe and particular atmosphere. The musicianship is top notch. Totally forgot to mention them on my first post. Maybe not exactly what OP is looking for right now, but well worth investing your time nonetheless.

https://sutrahmetal.bandcamp.com/album/dunes

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:05 pm 

Thanks! I already knew Ingurgitatin Oblivion, I just jorgot to mention them. The last album was fine.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 am 

What about Plebeian Grandstand? Might be up your alley...

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:14 pm 

maybe https://shabti.bandcamp.com/album/trembling-and-shorn but it is a bit more blackened

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
What about Plebeian Grandstand? Might be up your alley...

I already know them. Their second album was cool. Thanks anyway!

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:48 pm 

I walked into this thread and found Pyrrhon and this is some good shit.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:25 am 

I had to bookmark this thread to come back for some of the names I wasn't familiar with. I actually really liked Brood of Hatred. I'd call it post-death metal. It sounds like someone took the same approach to Be'lakor as Altar of Plagues took to black metal when making Mammal, if that makes any sense. It's not similar to Ulcerate, and it's only slightly similar to Nero di Marte, but I definitely like it for many of the same reasons, if that makes sense either. :lol: Anyway, thanks for the recommendation.

New Ulcerate about to drop too (in April), as a heads-up.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:54 am 

Ok, not trying to be a necromancer or anything, but I really wanna mention the album Devouring Ruin, by Wake. It's ridiculously good and easily AOTY candidate.
I'm not even going to bother trying to describe it, let alone review it. Just go listen to this thing, it's a beast.
People into the kind of crazy, abrasive, technical, dissonant and atmospheric sound played by all the bands mentioned in this thread would do well to check it out.

https://wakegrind.bandcamp.com/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:04 am 

therealvivs wrote:
Ok, not trying to be a necromancer or anything, but I really wanna mention the album Devouring Ruin, by Wake. It's ridiculously good and easily AOTY candidate.
I'm not even going to bother trying to describe it, let alone review it. Just go listen to this thing, it's a beast.
People into the kind of crazy, abrasive, technical, dissonant and atmospheric sound played by all the bands mentioned in this thread would do well to check it out.

Don't worry about necromancing in this case, new recommendations are helpful to anyone reading the forum or following this thread.

I'll check that out (once I'm done listening to Paracletus)!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:06 am 

therealvivs wrote:

Yeah, the new Wake is pretty cool. A bit more "post rock" than I was hoping for but definetely great.

Also, you guys are going to love that new Ulcerate album.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:35 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Yeah, the new Wake is pretty cool. A bit more "post rock" than I was hoping for but definetely great.

Is it? I'm into song three now, and it's been pretty full-on assault so far.

I'm reminded of Kaleikr and Ulsect, mostly, and a little bit of Zhrine. Sounds really good!

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:36 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Oh boy oh boy!! You got a glimpse of it or you heard the entire thing already? Can you elaborate a bit on how it compares to their body of work?

On a completely ridiculous side note... I love the overall track length they seem to have settled in with last few albums. Not the overly long 10min plus borefests of unnecessary bloat that plenty of bands aim for and fail to deliver, and yet with loads more room to explore and expand than, say, your typical 3-4min death metal tunes. I do believe the aforementioned album by Wake also benefited from this, given they've decided to grow from being just a simple grindcore band. It was my first contact with said band and I wouldn't have guessed they were a pure grind outfit. Hopefully they continue in this direction in the future and continue to grow and incorporate different elements into their sound.

Anyway, I digress... Can't wait for new Ulcerate. Man, 2020 is killing it!!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:52 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Is it? I'm into song three now, and it's been pretty full-on assault so far.

I'm reminded of Kaleikr and Ulsect, mostly, and a little bit of Zhrine. Sounds really good!

It never goes full Deafeaven but songs like Torchbearer dwell a bit too much on the melodic side. I was hoping for a more dissonant approach but I'm loving it anyways. And yes, it also reminds me to those bands but with a modern grindcore/crust touch.

therealvivs wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Oh boy oh boy!! You got a glimpse of it or you heard the entire thing already? Can you elaborate a bit on how it compares to their body of work?

It's pretty much what you'd expect from Ulcerate. Everything sounds very Ulcerate but with minor changes in their approach to keep things fresh. Just like they announced it's a bit more melodic than the past two albums but I'm not sure to what extent it's due to the riffs and compositions or just the production. It's like a cross between the Destroyers of All and Shrines of Paralysis. I'm still diggesting it and it's going to take a lot of spins but I can tell you it's full of beautiful melodies I was not expecting. It has a more melancholic and decadent aura than their previous stuff and maybe a bit less of dissonance. This is the song I'm liking the most so far but maybe it's because I've listened to it a few more times since it was the first single.

In terms of quality, it's definetely better than Vermis and Everything is Fire. Only time will tell if I like it more than The Destroyers of All and Shrines of Paralysis. It's my album of the year so far along with the new Nero di Marte, which I also think it's great. Just listen to this if you still haven't:

To sum up other stuff I've been really digging these past few weeks, I ordered the Ad nauseam album before this whole pandemic madness started and got it in the mail a few days ago. Insane stuff, the ending of Into the Void Eye is some of the most crushing and emotive stuff I've listened to lately:

Ilwhyan also reminded me I love Zhrine. They were supposed to record an EP last year but these guys always take a lot of time to finally record stuff. Unortheta is one of my favourite albums and they are great live. I wish there was more stuff like this. I mentioned them in my first post but now I realize I should have clarified they are pretty much the kind of music I'm looking for.

I've been listening to the Wake album a lot too.

Devouring Star are also great, a bit more on the dissonant black metal sound but it their first LP may appeal to some of you:

Other stuff that's already been mentioned and I'm revisiting:

I realized the last Altar of Plagues album can fit this thread too:

Ilwhyan wrote:
joppek wrote:
Throane should be pretty much exactly what you're looking for, I think. Especially if you're more into the atmosphere of Ulcerate than the sheer speed and technicality.

I forgot to mention Throane are cool but they remind me more of Amenra than the stuff in this post. I've also seen a few live videos that were awful and I have to admit that put me off a bit.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:47 am 

Also, maybe Krallice? They used to be really cool, not sure what happened to them but they have a fe albums that have that dissonant/post metal feeling I'm looking for.

This one may appeal to those of you more into technical death metal. It's not what I was looking for and I guess some of you will enjoy it more than I do.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:15 pm 

Devouring Star is really good stuff.
They have two full lengths if I recall. Definitely more black metal than death and way more cavernous than bands like Nero Di Marte, but excellent stuff nonetheless.
Krallice is a band that, on paper, ticks a lot of boxes for me, and I remember liking what I've heard, however briefly. I just never got to fully dive into them. Anyone care to recommend a good starting point?

If you can stomach your dissonance in a black metal package, I have something that might be up your alley...

https://gevurah.bandcamp.com/album/hallelujah

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
They have two full lengths if I recall. Definitely more black metal than death and way more cavernous than bands like Nero Di Marte, but excellent stuff nonetheless.
Krallice is a band that, on paper, ticks a lot of boxes for me, and I remember liking what I've heard, however briefly. I just never got to fully dive into them. Anyone care to recommend a good starting point?

If you can stomach your dissonance in a black metal package, I have something that might be up your alley...

https://gevurah.bandcamp.com/album/hallelujah

Years Past Matter is my favourite Krallice album (and the last one I enjoyed, after that I couldn't get into any of their stuff).

https://krallice.bandcamp.com/album/years-past-matter

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:49 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
(...) after that I couldn't get into any of their stuff.

why is that?
I'll take your advise anyway and start with this one.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:27 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
(...) after that I couldn't get into any of their stuff.

why is that?
I'll take your advise anyway and start with this one.

It's like they stopped writing songs for their albums or taking the project seriously. I always get the feeling their newer stuff is kind of improvised and most of it sounds like unfinished demos of what they used to do. Even the covers seem kind of lazy. I don't know how to explain it better.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:15 pm 

It's very well explained already, actually. I'll start with the one you mentioned and work my way backwards.
Let me know if you dig Gevurah!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:07 pm 

therealvivs wrote:

They have two albums an an EP. Through Lung And Heart is an excellent Svartidauði-style package, with a completely unique style of harmony that reminds me of some religious choral stuff. I reckon it's not by coincidence that they sampled some choral stuff for the intro and outro of the album. It's an outstanding record with a vein of true genius in it.

Antihedron and The Arteries of Heresy are more death/doom influenced, crawling, suffocating stuff. Sadly I felt that the music lost something in the transition, and especially the latter (the second full-length) seems to be recycling black metal tropes more than is good for one album. Overall, they are definitely a black metal band that has more in common with bands like Svartidauði than Ulcerate or Nero di Marte.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:29 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

They have two albums an an EP. Through Lung And Heart is an excellent Svartidauði-style package, with a completely unique style of harmony that reminds me of some religious choral stuff. I reckon it's not by coincidence that they sampled some choral stuff for the intro and outro of the album. It's an outstanding record with a vein of true genius in it.

Antihedron and The Arteries of Heresy are more death/doom influenced, crawling, suffocating stuff. Sadly I felt that the music lost something in the transition, and especially the latter (the second full-length) seems to be recycling black metal tropes more than is good for one album. Overall, they are definitely a black metal band that has more in common with bands like Svartidauði than Ulcerate or Nero di Marte.

Yeah, they later turned into a more straightforward black metal band. I never really understood why, the album and the demo were great. I also dig their newest stuff but they're like a completely different band. I included them because they have slower doom/sludge parts and dissonance that could fit this thread.

therealvivs wrote:
It's very well explained already, actually. I'll start with the one you mentioned and work my way backwards.
Let me know if you dig Gevurah!

I remember enjoying Gevurah back in the day but there was something about the album that never made me want to relisten to it again. I'll have to check them again. If you like that kind of black metal be sure to listen to Situs magus if you're not familiar with them (I'm getting a bit off topic here but I don't think there's much death metal like what I'm looking for that hasn't been mentioned yet).

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:04 am 

Setentia are cool, they sound a bit like Wake and obviously Ulcerate. They are from New Zealand too and their first album is "pay what you want" on Bandcamp. Death metal/post metal. I don't think they have been mentioned yet.

https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -transcend

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:33 am 

Oh man, this thread just keeps on giving!

I remember hearing Setentia mentioned before alongside Ulcerate and those alike, but I dunno why I never checked on them and therefore forgot about their existence. Will rectify that.
By the way, I listened a bit to Anachronism and it does sound cool, but like you mentioned, it lands more on the tech death camp. Still solid, though.
Never heard of Situs Magus before, ever. Will investigate.

Now, not to derail the thread even more down the black metal rabbit hole, but you might enjoy these two bands, given they share many of the common traits here debated. From Iceland and France respectively.

Carpe Noctem https://carpenoctem.bandcamp.com/

Drastus https://drastus.bandcamp.com/album/la-croix-de-sang

Also... Is it a stretch to include Veilburner in here? They are not exactly the poster boys for dissonance, not like Ulcerate or Deathspell Omega at least, and their sound is hard to catalog, a weird black/death hybrid.
I absolutely love these guys (it's a duo) so I'll pimp them whenever possible! The samples and spoken words might not be for everyone, but IMO they suit the overall bizarre and outlandish atmosphere. Top notch musicianship and an absolute monster of a vocalist. People shower Mikko and Mortuus with praise, and while I absolutely love 'em both, I think Chrisom deserves the same amount of recognition. Truly unique band. Give them a listen if you haven't yet!

Veilburner https://veilburner.bandcamp.com/

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
Oh man, this thread just keeps on giving!

I remember hearing Setentia mentioned before alongside Ulcerate and those alike, but I dunno why I never checked on them and therefore forgot about their existence. Will rectify that.
By the way, I listened a bit to Anachronism and it does sound cool, but like you mentioned, it lands more on the tech death camp. Still solid, though.
Never heard of Situs Magus before, ever. Will investigate.

Now, not to derail the thread even more down the black metal rabbit hole, but you might enjoy these two bands, given they share many of the common traits here debated. From Iceland and France respectively.

Carpe Noctem https://carpenoctem.bandcamp.com/

Drastus https://drastus.bandcamp.com/album/la-croix-de-sang

Also... Is it a stretch to include Veilburner in here? They are not exactly the poster boys for dissonance, not like Ulcerate or Deathspell Omega at least, and their sound is hard to catalog, a weird black/death hybrid.
I absolutely love these guys (it's a duo) so I'll pimp them whenever possible! The samples and spoken words might not be for everyone, but IMO they suit the overall bizarre and outlandish atmosphere. Top notch musicianship and an absolute monster of a vocalist. People shower Mikko and Mortuus with praise, and while I absolutely love 'em both, I think Chrisom deserves the same amount of recognition. Truly unique band. Give them a listen if you haven't yet!

Veilburner https://veilburner.bandcamp.com/

Great fan of Carpe noctem, Zhrine are basically Carpe noctem + death metal + a bit of melodic experimentation. Overall I'm a great fan of the Icelandic bands that have been popping these past few years but I think that's a topic for another thread.

I really enjoy Drastus and their last album was amazing even though they are straight up black metal in my book and not related to this thread. I've seen Jamie Saint Merat (Ulcerate's drummer) name them a few times these past few days (Facebook + this article http://www.brooklynvegan.com/ulcerates- ... pUiOhixLtY)

As for Veilburner they definetely have their own thing going on but I can't really say it's my cup of tea, not sure why.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:32 am 

Karmacipher new album next month:

Not a great fan of the production.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next