Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:14 am 

I used to listen to brutal death metal a lot when I was a teenager. But I stopped listening to most of the bands because for the most part brutal death metal bands are Suffocation rip offs. I much prefer Black, Thrash, Doom, non-brutal Death and Classic Metal. I want to get into more Brutal Death Metal. I can count all the brutal Death Metal albums I still listen to on 2 hands.

I find bands like Vomit Remants, Internal Bleeding, Dehumanized, Devourment (and all their clones), Pyrexia, Origin, Beheaded, Broken Hope, Inveracity and Lividity to be decent but not great bands. I used to listen to most of these bands but not anymore. They are not bad but whenever I hear +95% of brutal death metal I would rather listen to Suffocation or Dying Fetus. Hate Eternal, Krisiun (and basically every Brazilian blasting band) are often labelled brutal death and those bands are very boring. I am not a big fan of goregrind either (though I do like 3 Carcass albums). I am also lo longer a fan of Mortician, Impetigo, Gorgasm or Last Day's of Humanity.

Here are some bands/albums I really like that are considered brutal Death:
Dying Fetus
Suffocation
First 2 Cryptopsy
Lykathea Aflame
Nile (but don't recommend me any bands that sound like Nile, I have heard pretty much all of them)
Defeated Sanity (Psalms)

Recommend me the best albums you know. Preferably albums with at least a few reviews that have a +85% rating so I know for sure they are good albums. I only want to hear the best of the best.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:11 am 

I'm not a huge BDM fan, so when i enjoy and album that isn't a None So Vile, Bloodthirst etc etc... it's a little miracle.
Cytotoxin's second album Radiophobia is one of those cases, technical as hell but still well written, their last album is also very good too.
Katalepsy's Autopsychosis was also a fun listen and it was very well received by the community

Probably other users can give better suggestions, but those two are worth a shot

wraithlike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:32 pm 

seconding that Katalepsy album and thanks for reminding me it exists because now I have to revisit it.

Regurgitation's Tales of Necrophilia is fucking phenomenal and doesn't get enough praise. Reminds me a lot of early Suffocation, though there is this touch of melancholy in it all that you rarely see in this kind of music.

Pyaemia's Cerebral Cereal is a classic.

Blasphemer's On the Inexistence of God is really something. It's quite relentlessly and honestly over the top even for the genre.

Mutilated's Devirginated Genital Pulp is really thick sounding BDM that seems to have drawn a lot from The Bleeding era CC. It's good stuff, although honestly it's a bit too gross out for me and some of the samples included in it are just terrible.

It's been a long time since I deep dove into BDM but I used to be really into it, if I think of more I will share it.

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:38 am 

I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations for you, just wanted your opinion. I'm a huge Suffocation fan. Mostly their first 3 albums and the EP, but I do enjoy some of their later stuff as well. You mentioned Dying Fetus as one of your fave brutal death metal bands. What do you consider to be their best albums? I'm not familiar with them enough to know where to start.

Thanks!

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
I used to listen to brutal death metal a lot when I was a teenager. But I stopped listening to most of the bands because for the most part brutal death metal bands are Suffocation rip offs. I much prefer Black, Thrash, Doom, non-brutal Death and Classic Metal. I want to get into more Brutal Death Metal. I can count all the brutal Death Metal albums I still listen to on 2 hands.

I find bands like Vomit Remants, Internal Bleeding, Dehumanized, Devourment (and all their clones), Pyrexia, Origin, Beheaded, Broken Hope, Inveracity and Lividity to be decent but not great bands. I used to listen to most of these bands but not anymore. They are not bad but whenever I hear +95% of brutal death metal I would rather listen to Suffocation or Dying Fetus. Hate Eternal, Krisiun (and basically every Brazilian blasting band) are often labelled brutal death and those bands are very boring. I am not a big fan of goregrind either (though I do like 3 Carcass albums). I am also lo longer a fan of Mortician, Impetigo, Gorgasm or Last Day's of Humanity.

Here are some bands/albums I really like that are considered brutal Death:
Dying Fetus
Suffocation
First 2 Cryptopsy
Lykathea Aflame
Nile (but don't recommend me any bands that sound like Nile, I have heard pretty much all of them)
Defeated Sanity (Psalms)

Recommend me the best albums you know. Preferably albums with at least a few reviews that have a +85% rating so I know for sure they are good albums. I only want to hear the best of the best.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:46 am 

just chiming in to recommend scent of flesh (FIN). personally I'd pick their roaring depths of insanity album.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:28 am 

For me, Disgorge's "Consume the forsaken" is a pinnacle that hasn't been matched thus far, so it is my sole recommendation for you. I cannot imagine any BDM group to get closer to perfection than Disgorge did on there. It also happens to be the album I've listened to the highest amount of times in an uninterrupted row.

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:32 am 

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I'm not a huge BDM fan, so when i enjoy and album that isn't a None So Vile, Bloodthirst etc etc... it's a little miracle.
Cytotoxin's second album Radiophobia is one of those cases, technical as hell but still well written, their last album is also very good too.
Katalepsy's Autopsychosis was also a fun listen and it was very well received by the community

Probably other users can give better suggestions, but those two are worth a shot

I am familiar with that Katalepsy album. I used to listen to it. I remember liking it. I will check it out again.

Cytotoxin's is very good. I listened to the first song. That does not sound like a Suffocation clone at all. The band I have heard that sounds the most like this is Spawn of Possession. I like them.

wraithlike wrote:
seconding that Katalepsy album and thanks for reminding me it exists because now I have to revisit it.

Regurgitation's Tales of Necrophilia is fucking phenomenal and doesn't get enough praise. Reminds me a lot of early Suffocation, though there is this touch of melancholy in it all that you rarely see in this kind of music.

Pyaemia's Cerebral Cereal is a classic.

Blasphemer's On the Inexistence of God is really something. It's quite relentlessly and honestly over the top even for the genre.

Mutilated's Devirginated Genital Pulp is really thick sounding BDM that seems to have drawn a lot from The Bleeding era CC. It's good stuff, although honestly it's a bit too gross out for me and some of the samples included in it are just terrible.

It's been a long time since I deep dove into BDM but I used to be really into it, if I think of more I will share it.

I do like that Regurgitation album but I don't remember finding it that interesting. But I will check it out again.

Pyaemia is quite good. Part of me says these guys are a little generic but when I listened to them I really enjoyed them so I can't really say there is anything wrong with their music. They have Disavowed members, but Pyaemia is much better. I think this band is worth listening to.

Blasphemer is quite nice. These guys are very technical. It seems most of the best brutal DM bands are very technical as well.

I like that Mutilated album but the samples are so bad I can't even listen to it. Their samples are WORSE than Morticians. Especially the sample on "her spaded anus."

Endarkening wrote:
I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations for you, just wanted your opinion. I'm a huge Suffocation fan. Mostly their first 3 albums and the EP, but I do enjoy some of their later stuff as well. You mentioned Dying Fetus as one of your fave brutal death metal bands. What do you consider to be their best albums? I'm not familiar with them enough to know where to start.

I like every Dying Fetus album but I have not listened to reign Supreme or Wrong One to Fuck With much but they are very good albums. I listened to Dying Fetus the most when I was very young in 2007 and 2008. I have listened to the albums Inflatulation with Malevolence (demos/compilation) and Purification to Violence quite a lot but they are inferior albums to the later stuff. I don't listen to War of Attrition. Stop at Nothing is good but inferior to their best stuff.The albums I listened to them the most are Destroy the Opposition and Killing on Adrenaline. Start with those 2.

DecemberSoul wrote:
For me, Disgorge's "Consume the forsaken" is a pinnacle that hasn't been matched thus far, so it is my sole recommendation for you. I cannot imagine any BDM group to get closer to perfection than Disgorge did on there. It also happens to be the album I've listened to the highest amount of times in an uninterrupted row.
[/quote]Both the Mexican Disgorge and US Disgorge are decent bands. But I always found them a bit uninteresting. But it is has been probably over 5 years since I last listened to them.I checked out their albums again. I listened to this band again and it is very good. But the problem is it reminds me of other bands I have heard. Still I would say it is way way above average.

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:22 pm 

I saw Katalepsy mentioned here a while back and thought I'd chime in with some more info on them. I've heard a lot of their albums and have yet to be truly let down. If slam is your thing, the Musick Brings Injuries EP is amazing. They switched to BDM later, and the album I'd recommend from that era is their newest, Terra Mortuus Est. It's heavy but doesn't skip out on the groovy riffs.

Putrid Pile's albums are all pretty good, and I'd recommend Collection of Butchery as a good starting point to dive into their material.

I don't know if you'd consider them brutal death metal, but Aborted deserves a mention as well. In particular, The Saw and the Carnage Done. That shit was great.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:10 pm 

you mentioned devourment as decent, but not great, and i'd definitely agree up until their last album from 2019 which was fantastic, so give that a chance if you haven't

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:00 pm 

I don't really have much to say, just wanted to empathize how much I like Nile, specially Annihilation and Those Whom. They really don't have any bad albums except maybe Ithyphalic.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:12 pm 

Most of the really good stuff imo has already been mentioned but one gem that always flies under the radar is "Remnants of a Cannibalistic Debauchery" by Exulcerate. It has surprisingly clear production, great vocals, and still have tons of hooks and great songwriting old school death metal sound not just your modern day chug "ugh ugh" slam brutal death band.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:18 am 

Death Metal Help Thread

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.