Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
worm king
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 pm 

Hey guys, just a few weeks ago the cog in my brain clicked over and I can now begin to appreciate and like death metal. After years and years of "just not getting it" I'm beginning to feel this shit! So far I'm digging Death, the new Possessed, some bloodbath, some Vader, etc. I am definitely digging some newer bands like Gatecreeper and Blood Incantation but here's my problem - I Get pissed off listening to it because while the music is dope, I cant really hear the vocals so I end up feeling frustrated. Why would you spend time crafting lyrics If you're just going to have them turned down so low we can't fuckin hear them?

Can you guys turn me on to some bands similar to Gatecreeper (for example) but that have more understandable

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:11 pm 

A few classics I'd recommend if you don't know them already are Master, Macabre, Pungent Stench, Bolt Thrower, Benediction and Massacra. Off the top of my hat those are the first couple of bands I can think of where you wouldn't need a lyric sheet if you didn't have one because the singers are easily understandable.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

worm king
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:22 pm 

Cool thanks I'll check those out!

worm king
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:24 pm 

Is bolt thrower understandable though?! Haha I've tried them a couple times and again, the music is great, but the vocals seems buried in the track to me...

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:08 am 

worm king wrote:
Is bolt thrower understandable though?! Haha I've tried them a couple times and again, the music is great, but the vocals seems buried in the track to me...

Pretty understandable IMO. Try Those Once Loyal.

ksevile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:43 am 

I recently gave Malevolent Creation's Retribution and The Ten Commandments albums some solid listens and I found practically every vocal on there easily discernible. Definitely look into that album as its a killer formula packed within, and although I'm not familiar with the remainder of their work, I'm assuming their subsequent albums should have the criteria you're looking for. One also that just popped into my mind which you're probably familiar with or have heard by now would be CC's Eaten Back to Life. I hope this is helpful for you.

worm king
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:43 pm 

Awesome thanks guys ✊

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:24 pm 

worm king wrote:

I was going by enunciation alone, some of the bands I mentioned do have albums that aren't perfectly produced but they're the exception rather than the rule.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MetlaNZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:47 pm 

worm king wrote:

I just listened to Warmaster and perfectly understandable to me. Give it a bit more time maybe. I'd also recommend Morbid Angels 1st 4 albums, old Pestilence, 1st 2 from Entombed, Dismember, 1st 3 from Deicide and Carcass.

Reply to topic