Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:14 am 

I've been extremely interested with them for awhile now and heard some songs here and there but if I'm looking to get all the way in with these guys, where exactly do I start? According to the "rating" on each album, it would seem I need to start with "Graveward" or the "Ghastly Funeral Theatre" EP. So what does the counsel of M-A say.

Currently Reading: Eragon | Currently Playing: Elden Ring

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:41 am 

Depends what are you looking for: for their more wacky, proggy style the best is without doubt Imaginary Soniscape, followed by Hail Horror Hail (who still retains some BM elements), Ghastly Funeral Theatre, Scenario IV and then In Somniphobia.
For the more symphonic material Scenes From Hell and Hangman's hymn are the albums to check out, and at last for the early black metal period there is the classic Scorn Defeat, followed by Infidel Art.

Starting from Grawevard they changed guitarist and the quality took a little drop, but both albums are still worth checking out.
I realize that I've namedropped almost all their discography, but due to the style changes and overall quality writing almost everything is worth a spin (if not more!)

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:26 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Depends what are you looking for: for their more wacky, proggy style the best is without doubt Imaginary Soniscape, followed by Hail Horror Hail (who still retains some BM elements), Ghastly Funeral Theatre, Scenario IV and then In Somniphobia.
For the more symphonic material Scenes From Hell and Hangman's hymn are the albums to check out, and at last for the early black metal period there is the classic Scorn Defeat, followed by Infidel Art.

Starting from Grawevard they changed guitarist and the quality took a little drop, but both albums are still worth checking out.
I realize that I've namedropped almost all their discography, but due to the style changes and overall quality writing almost everything is worth a spin (if not more!)

Namedropping all of the albums is completely fine with me. The type of layout you gave me above is pretty damn good so thank you for that. I'll probably start out with Imaginary Sonicscape and work from there.

Thanks again and I'll keep ya updated with what I think after I listen to a couple, if that's okay with you.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:39 am 

Absolutely fine! They are a big favorite of mine, but some of their albums are so different, to the point that they appeal to very different type of fans. Going trough their discography it's a bit of an adventure... let me know how's working for you!

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:53 am 

I'm a huge fan of black metal but also love the wacky type of prog that comes with certain genres. I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy what Sigh has to offer so I'll keep ya updated throughout the week.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:38 pm 

I tend to be of the opinion that it's best to listen to their albums chronologically. It'll put their experimentation and deviations into non-metal influences in a context that'll make much more sense to the listener.

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:17 am 

I'll probably do that as well after I randomly go through the discography. When did they start to use the non-metal influences, would you say?

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:06 pm 

IxI_KILLING wrote:
I'll probably do that as well after I randomly go through the discography. When did they start to use the non-metal influences, would you say?

They started to experiment quite a bit already with with Ghastly Funeral Theatre, but took it about a hundred steps further with Hail Horror Hail. But they've always incorporated weird stuff in their music, like the wild The Flower Travellin Band inspired solo in A Victory of Dakini from their debut. Which most certainly is a love/hate part of the song. I love it, but a lot of people seem to dislike it quite a lot.

If you were to listen to just one Sigh album I'd probably recommend Hail Horror Hail, but that's just because it is my personal favorite. But you cannot go wrong with Sigh imo, even though I do understand why certain albums are rather hit and miss with people. Such as Gallows Gallery, which is my all-time favorite heavy/power metal album. The original version, with the muddy, garage band production is just beyond cool. Weird, experimental, ridiculously catchy and with an incredible amount of depth in the songwriting.

Anyway, have fun going though their discography.

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:45 pm 

Thanks so much, YesIam. I will most definitely update ya'll tomorrow after I give "Imaginary Sonicscape" a spin tonight at work, or a couple spins if I enjoy it that much. Honestly, for me, I enjoy the roller-coaster that certain bands give so that solo you speak of, I might enjoy it.

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:22 pm 

"Imaginary Sonicscapes" was most definitely a roller-coaster ride. I gave it a listen last night at work and from top to bottom, I was very impressed and completely caught off guard by some of the sections they put together. All in all, I can't wait to check out the rest of the discography in the coming days.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:19 am 

IxI_KILLING wrote:
"Imaginary Sonicscapes" was most definitely a roller-coaster ride. I gave it a listen last night at work and from top to bottom, I was very impressed and completely caught off guard by some of the sections they put together. All in all, I can't wait to check out the rest of the discography in the coming days.

Nice! that one is the most out of there, except maybe Scenario IV (which is very, very overlooked) and it's "spiritual successor" In Somniphobia. the other albums are still crazy, but not at that level :lol:

Reply to topic