Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Sponge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:54 am 

I have been a huge fan of all sub genres of metal music over the last 20 years that I have come across. Over the years every now and again I make an attempt to try and discover new metal music that I like, however I often do not ever find new music that I like. Below are some of my top favorite metal bands besides the obvious that usually shows up in top 10's and such around the web.

• Jinjer
  • Nightwish
  • Slipknot
  • Beartooth
  • Spiritbox

Out of the 4 bands listed, only the first 3 have a discography where I enjoy at least 90% of the material they create. The latter have only 1 or a couple songs that I enjoy. There are so many different things that make a metal song enjoyable for me, however I believe there are a few pieces that are mandatory in order for me to even enjoy the song.

1. Screaming, growling, & belting. Any songs that are 90% of this I will 100% hate, unless the words are clearly audible. So clarity is a huge deal for me in the screaming. For example these are songs with screaming I enjoy:

Slipknot songs like

Beartooth

Examples out of the plethora of bands I have found that I do not like that do this.

2. Instruments. I enjoy any combination of instruments, in fact the more uncommon use of instruments I find even more enjoyable because it is different. For example Nightwish uses a lot of uncommon instruments in The Greatest Show on Earth or The Islander (live), and throughout their music as a whole. Slipknot doesn't do anything crazy but they don't mind using a keg and such as a drum every now and then. I like this stuff, and wouldn't mind more. However if its just plain old guitar, drums, base, singer, that's fine too.

3. Power. I enjoy bands where the vocalist or lead vocalist has a lot of power. They can hit low screams, high screams, have clarity, and a wide vocal range preferably. Tatiana Schmayluk, Floor Jansen, & Courtney LaPlante have powerful voices with great range, and great cleans. Corey Taylor & Caleb Shomo have decent cleans most of the time, and also have pretty strong male vocals. They have great melodic voices when needed. These are the kind of vocalists I like and want to find more of. No pig squealing I can't hear a single lyric in your 8 minute song vocalists. I find female fronted metal bands to be some of the best vocalists I have found so far. I do not know of many male vocalists that I think are generally both a good singer, and a good screamer.

4. Languages. I would prefer bands that speak English, or their songs are almost entirely in English. I am not sure if any metal bands out there blend languages like Jinjer does for example in Retrospection.

I hope this is specific enough to narrow down my thoughts, I can be more specific if needed.

Last edited by Metal_Sponge on Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:14 am 

Nickelback?

Metal_Sponge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:53 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Nickelback?

That's not metal at all, and also not good in general.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:03 am 

Metal_Sponge wrote:
1. Screaming, growling, & belting.

That complicates everything indeed.

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:19 pm 

But "Under Grass and Clover" is a jam though.

Dude these criteria are giving me a headache.

Wait, so if a song has 80% growls, it's ok? (joking) And wouldn't it depend if the growls are done well or not, or are you anti harsh vocals through and through?

And, no...pig.....squeals?!

Seriously though, you could try Ensiferum. They have harsh vocals, kinda. But they're pretty damn clear as far as harshes go. If you dig that, Kalmah, Norther and Wintersun are all pretty good.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:18 am 

eh, that's some requirements... :lol:

The first band i've tought of it's Soilwork, if by some reason you missed them: their instrumentation is fairly standard (except maybe for the heavy synth usage on some albums) but their singer is competent in both growls and cleans and their songs are in english.
If you are not familiar with them you can try albums like Natural Born Chaos, The Ride Majestic... and see if they are your thing

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:44 pm 

Metal_Sponge wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
Nickelback?

Just gonna point out that of the bands you listed and liked only 1 is on the archives. Based my rec around that.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:31 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Metal_Sponge wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
Nickelback?

Just gonna point out that of the bands you listed and liked only 1 is on the archives. Based my rec around that.

You shouldn't be too harsh on the guy, he's got two actually (yes, Slipknot is on here).

// I still think his post is an extremely elaborate attempt at trolling //

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 am 

^There's a Slipknot, but not the Slipknot he's referring to.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:12 am 

Oh, right, I see now :D

wraithlike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:42 pm 

Anaal Nathrakh is like 70% screaming, 30% gorgeous soaring choruses. I don't know if you'll like it but who knows maybe stepping outside your comfort zone a little will get you more comfortable with the genre.

Reply to topic