Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:14 am 

I’m new here but I’ve been reading reviews here for years now. I just want to ask you guys if you could recommend me bands or albums that are close to or sounds like in the style of Opeth’s Orchid or Morningrise albums. I’m talking about twin harmonized guitar riffs that is catchy and melodic ala Iron Maiden but heavy as well with some melodic parts and with maybe some acoustic passages thrown in and some epic/atmospheric feel as well. I’m talking about songs like “In the mist she was standing” or “Twilight is my Robe” or “Black Rose Immortal”. Those styles with the harmonized guitars doing different riffs or notes that blends with each other. Or just melodic riffings like songs like Dark Tranquility’s Lethe and Edge of Sanity’s Velvet Dreams. I really love this two albums and is probably my all time favorites just because I love the style and the feel of it and I love melodic style thrown in with or after the heavy and thrashy parts that’s why I am into melodic black metal like Dissection or Lord Belial or Dawn.

I haven’t encountered any band or album in this style really eventhough I know there’s a few Opeth inspired bands out there. The closest I can say that relates to this style is Dissection’s Storm of the Light’s Bane and some songs off Edge of Sanity’s Purgatory Afterglow(songs like Of Darksome Origin and Elegy and intro to Silent).

I hope you could help me with this cause I have been looking for a long time now and thank you to all of you.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:06 pm 

Check out
* Katatonia - Brave Murder Day and if you like it then check also For Funerals To Come and Dance Of The December Souls
* I always thought that Ikuinen Kaamos - The Forlorn was Opeth inspired (debut)
* Thy Serpent - Death MCD and only this MCD also had a nice Opeth vibe.

Oh, and finally there is the German Opeth: Scythe (https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Scythe/426)
Absolutely stunning band. You can buy their 5-CD bundle for 25 Euros at Witches Brew bandcamp page (clearance sale as the label is closing down): https://witchesbrewthrashes.bandcamp.co ... -cd-bundle

Interesting that the CDs can be found on youtube now. There were basically nearly no uploads for albums 2-5 until last year.

Full 2nd CD:

Full 3rd CD (features oldest demo songs, hence quite raw and not Opeth like):

Full 4th CD:

From the 5th CD:

Debut:

Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:58 pm 

peterott wrote:
Check out
* Katatonia - Brave Murder Day and if you like it then check also For Funerals To Come and Dance Of The December Souls
* I always thought that Ikuinen Kaamos - The Forlorn was Opeth inspired (debut)
* Thy Serpent - Death MCD and only this MCD also had a nice Opeth vibe.

Oh, and finally there is the German Opeth: Scythe (https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Scythe/426)
Absolutely stunning band. You can buy their 5-CD bundle for 25 Euros at Witches Brew bandcamp page (clearance sale as the label is closing down): https://witchesbrewthrashes.bandcamp.co ... -cd-bundle

Interesting that the CDs can be found on youtube now. There were basically nearly no uploads for albums 2-5 until last year.

Full 2nd CD:

Full 3rd CD (features oldest demo songs, hence quite raw and not Opeth like):

Full 4th CD:

From the 5th CD:

Debut:

Damn! That Scythe band was pretty good and it really does sound like Opeth they even have clean vocals and everything. Great band. I’ll definitely order that 5CD bundle before it’s too late.

Ikuinen Kaamos sounds a lot like early Opeth too but with a little more black metal feel to it, something I wanted more from those early Opeth albums. They incorporate blast beats too so that’s definitely a plus.

Thy Light is pretty good I love that De.pre.suicide demo of theirs and I get what you mean they have that depressive melodic feel with their riffs to it. I’m gonna check out that MCD later.

I love Katatonia’s Dance of December Souls and yes they do have some parts where it has that melodic Opeth feel to it. Definitely gonna check out Brave Murder Day I’ve been meaning to check it out since Mikael Akerfeldt is a guest vocalist in that album.

Thanks a lot man you were a lot of help. Now I have new favorite albums to listen to specially that Scythe band. Impressive stuff. Hails to you man. :headbang:

Edit: I misread that Thy Serpent part haha. That made me look stupid. Oh well. I listened to that Thy Serpent MCD and I must say it’s really very close to that Orchid/Morningrise style of harmonized riffing and overall captures the vibe. Pretty good recommendation. Thanks again man. You’re a savior I’ve been waiting for a reply for days I was thinking Opeth don’t get no love around here haha. Cheers!

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:52 pm 

Thanks for providing feedback. Yeah, Scythe is fantastic. Sometimes their stuff is blocking my HiFi for days. And good that you support the label owner with an order.

Enjoy the music. Cheers.

Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:01 pm 

Yeah I mean it’s too early to decide to buy all 5CDs but it’s a bundle for 25 euros only so might as well grab it. Haven’t bought any cds lately honestly though. Yeah I listened right away when I read your reply so might as well give my feedback to compliment your effort to help out. Have a good rest of the day/night man.

Reply to topic