* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:42 am 

Hello.

1. *I apologize in advance if the request is too vague*
Lately I've been listening to some atmospheric black and atmospheric black/doom metal albums a lot and I've realized that I really enjoy listening to songs that have alternation between parts with intense blastbeats (or blastbeats + fast guitar playing) and slower, calmer parts in these subgenres of metal music.
From my listening experience, the vast majority of the songs in these subgenres have more predictable transitions between all the slow and fast parts, i.e. the music flows really well (in contrast to some progressive extreme metal songs that have very complex/chaotic structures), plus, to me, all the styles, sounds, and moods on these songs are well-combined and they complement each other (in contrast to... hmm, I think the huge difference between styles and moods on metal-related songs by maudlin of the Well is definitely one of the strangest and the most unnatural ones I've ever heard).
In addition, many of ''from slow to very fast tempo or vice versa" songs in these subgenres of metal music are relatively accessible for me so listening to them does not feel exhausting (in contrast to listening to this kind of song in death/doom metal subgenre, such as the songs "The Tree of Life and Death" by Disembowelment and "Creation (Through Destruction)" by Esoteric, - they are very impressive and interesting musically, but I rarely listen to them because the sound and the mood/atmosphere on these songs are too extreme for me).

So now I'm looking for more bands/albums that have songs similar to these:
https://imperceptum.bandcamp.com/track/ ... sciousness
https://imperceptum.bandcamp.com/track/ ... ular-storm
i.e. atmospheric black and black/(funeral) doom metal songs that sound and feel very atmospheric overall and have a few relatively long slow or slow+mid tempo parts, and that also have ~2-4 parts with very fast, intense, and prominent drumming (live or programmed).

2. I'm not really sure if such a vague and subjective request is allowed here... Could anyone here recommend me one or two of your the most favorite metal songs (in any subgenre) that, in your opinion, have well-balanced alternation between slow and very fast parts?
(It's ok if these songs are more extreme than the Imperceptum's songs from the first part of my request, or if they have more complex structures, - I'll give them a try anyway).

Thanks in advance.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:38 am 

Hope Drone is kinda like that, if it's fast enough for you. They're atmospheric black metal, or post-black metal. I think the band might be named after Godspeed You! Black Emperor, but they aren't post-rock in the slightest - there's just that vaguely uplifting feel in some of the riffs that a lot of post-black bands have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4MkoBdgqs8

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:17 am 

Swallowed are known for their wild speed changes. They play really wild death/doom.

https://swallowed.bandcamp.com/album/lunarterial

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:29 am 

I'm probably too old school for the recommendation but this is what I thought of first was the live version of The Burning of Sodom and Bolt Thrower - Cenotaph

Stripped, Raped and Strangled maybe?

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

SafassThin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:39 pm 

'Funeral Hymn' and 'Another Day of Despondency' by Ataraxie can fit your description. Otherwise you can try Bethlehem 'Dictus te necare'.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:09 pm 

Spoiler: show

This isn't death or black metal, but really grindy sludge metal that goes from painfully slow to blisteringly fast and spastic sections.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 2:05 pm 

Ilwhyan , Gravetemplar , Dungeon_Vic , SafassThin , TheUnhinged , thank you for the recommendations. :)

I've listened to the song "Unending Gray" by Hope Drone, and this song works perfectly for me.
I love the sound of the music and the atmosphere in general (and the long song duration is a plus); the parts with fast drumming are very impressive, the slow parts are very sad and beautiful, and all the styles and moods work well together. Plus the "from slow to very fast" 'build-up'-like speed changes on the second part of the song are just awesome.
The style of this band definitely fits into the first part of the request. Looking forward to listening to their albums.

And many thanks, the moderators of Recommendation Central, for letting me to have such a broad request about the most favorite metal songs with this kind of speed changes, this is very helpful.
At first, I just wanted to ask about atmospheric black and atmospheric black/doom metal songs (that are similar to the Imperceptum's ones) in the black metal help thread, but when I tried to describe the request and to explain the reason/the way the songs in these subgenres work so well for me, I realized that I don't have a variety of examples to compare because I know very few bands that have songs like these in other subgenres of metal music. So I decided to ask for the recommendations in order to listen to some songs that have both slow and very fast parts in other subgenres and to find out/figure out how they work for fans of these subgenres (and maybe to find some bands that are relatively accessible for me (both musically and lyrics/imagery-wise) and to try to get into their songs/albums).

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I'm probably too old school for the recommendation but this is what I thought of first was the live version of The Burning of Sodom and Bolt Thrower - Cenotaph

Old school-related recommendations are absolutely ok. I like the style and the sound of the song "Cenotaph", and the song "The Burning of Sodom" is also very impressive musically.

Any subgenres and styles of metal music are welcome, but I need to add some clarification to this part of the request (Sorry, I should have mentioned this in the description of the request):

sjal wrote:
It's ok if these songs are more extreme

Music and vocals can sound as extreme as possible, but as for song titles/lyrical themes/album covers, songs/albums with violent or misogynist/racist/and the like lyrics/imagery are absolutely unlistenable for me, so, please, don't post any songs/albums with these kinds of song titles/lyrics/album covers.
Songs from albums like these - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=128292 are also absolutely unacceptable here.

Thanks.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:17 am 

I think The early albums of The Ruins of Beverast are built around these kind of slow/fast drumming parts. More on Rain Upon the Impure maybe. As far as Black Doom goes, this band is very recommendable anyhow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpC92yFe0I

Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:34 pm 

This album by Atmospheric Black Metal Russian band Путь (Pathway in English) is pretty good and got me at first listen. Check it out:

There’s a few more I can think of but some are Depressive Suicidal Black Metal so the lyrics might not suit you. I’ll try to think of some that might be applicable to you.

Meanwhile, Here’s some favorite songs of mine from other sub genres that mixed slow and fast parts:

Opeth - Drapery Falls(starts slow with a fast midpart)
Opeth - Black Rose Immortal (not all the way fast but a lot of tempo changes with a very slow Atmospheric acoustic part in the Middle)
Emperor - I am the Black Wizard(Very good transition from fast to slower to an eerie slow version of the fast/main riff)

These are the more popular ones I can think of that got me into the Atmospheric Style of extreme metal and you’ve probably heard it but oh well, I think more later.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:32 am 

Answering more the 2nd part of your post, one of my absolute favourites that transitions from slow to fast is Malachi - Ivory Walls. The band's usually described as atmospheric sludge or doom mixed with crust punk:

I could also add black/doom band Creeping as a more extreme example:

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:49 pm 

Morphine1873, Mystic_Stylez, DeadKid, thank you for the recommendations. :)

Sorry for the late reply, and I hope it's okay that I don't comment all of the songs/albums from the second part of the request... I always try to give comments on recommendations in order to make my requests more specific and clear, but the second part of the request is very broad and subjective, and I've mentioned all the details about music/lyrics that are important for me personally, so I really hope it's OK.
I am very grateful for the recommendations, but I need more time+efforts to get familiar with them.

Morphine1873 wrote:
I think The early albums of The Ruins of Beverast are built around these kind of slow/fast drumming parts. More on Rain Upon the Impure maybe. As far as Black Doom goes, this band is very recommendable anyhow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpC92yFe0I

Yes, "Rain Upon the Impure" is such an amazing album, and the songs from this album fit perfectly into the first part of the request: there are many relatively long slow/mid tempo atmospheric parts, the parts with fast drumming are very intense, and all the music flows really well. I love the sound of the music as well.
Thanks for mentioning it! I was able to get into this album, and I should definitely listen to this project more often.

Mystic_Stylez wrote:
This album by Atmospheric Black Metal Russian band Путь (Pathway in English) is pretty good and got me at first listen. Check it out:

This is an interesting album, and yes, the style of the music is quite accessible for me. I love the sound of the music and all the atmospheric/melodic parts, and the parts with fast drumming are also great, plus the music flows really well, too.

Mystic_Stylez wrote:
There’s a few more I can think of but some are Depressive Suicidal Black Metal so the lyrics might not suit you. I’ll try to think of some that might be applicable to you.

I am not really familiar with Depressive Suicidal Black Metal, but as for depressive/suicidal lyrics in general, it really depends... some songs work really well (as an emotional outlet), some of them are way too desperate or hateful for me, but in general I don't mind this kind of recommendation.

Mystic_Stylez wrote:
Meanwhile, Here’s some favorite songs of mine from other sub genres that mixed slow and fast parts:

Opeth - Drapery Falls(starts slow with a fast midpart)
Opeth - Black Rose Immortal (not all the way fast but a lot of tempo changes with a very slow Atmospheric acoustic part in the Middle)
Emperor - I am the Black Wizard(Very good transition from fast to slower to an eerie slow version of the fast/main riff)

These are the more popular ones I can think of that got me into the Atmospheric Style of extreme metal and you’ve probably heard it but oh well, I think more later.

Yeah, Opeth was one of 'a gateway to more extreme metal' Swedish metal bands for me, and this band is still one of all-time favorites. :)
I like the styles of these songs as well.

The song "I am the Black Wizard" by Emperor is very impressive, but this band is too extreme for me.

Some feedback on previous recommendations:

I've listened to the songs "Reverence Through Darkness", "Arterial Mists of Doom", and "Black Aura" by Swallowed, and they are definitely one of the most extreme songs I've ever heard. The speed changes are indeed very impressive, but the vocals and the sound of the music are something else... way too aggressive and sinister.

The album ''End of Nothing" by Rune has such a strange, dark/sad electronics/ambience on the slow parts, I wish there were more metal albums that have atmospheric parts with this kind of sound.
The mood and the vocals are too extreme for me so I'm not sure if I can get into this album, but all the guitar+drum playing and speed changes are soo impressive, I think it was one of the most exciting listening experiences I've ever had.

Reply to topic