Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tulcakelume
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:00 pm 

I've listened to a bunch of songs by this band (mainly their 2013 compilation), but I don't hear the folk elements that many say they have. The only song where I could clearly hear some folk elements (in this case, flute) was in this one:

Maybe it's more apparent in the singing style? I'm not familiar with japanese traditional singing, so I could be missing that aspect.
Or maybe it's some guitar melodies that are folk-inspired in a subtle manner?

I would like some help in pointing me to albums or individual songs where the folk elements are clearer, or if my two previous points are indeed what these folk elements are.

Tulcakelume
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:04 am 

Bumping it to the first page for a new attempt.

Velzath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:55 pm 

Tulcakelume wrote:
I've listened to a bunch of songs by this band (mainly their 2013 compilation), but I don't hear the folk elements that many say they have. The only song where I could clearly hear some folk elements (in this case, flute) was in this one:

Maybe it's more apparent in the singing style? I'm not familiar with japanese traditional singing, so I could be missing that aspect.
Or maybe it's some guitar melodies that are folk-inspired in a subtle manner?

I would like some help in pointing me to albums or individual songs where the folk elements are clearer, or if my two previous points are indeed what these folk elements are.

Yeah, the use of traditional folk instruments is rare in this band. You could probably fit all the songs with those elements on 1 or 2 albums (for reference, they have 16 full lengths and a number of non-album tracks on EPs and singles). The majority of the "folk" is as you say the melodies and singing style. Kuroneko sings a form of traditional singing called Enka. There's also the backing shouts that the male members do from time to time.

It'll take me some time but I can dig those songs out for you. I'm always down for an Onmyou-za binge. Here's one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVSDmJmJfU

Enka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1DVnyyb8U8

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:11 pm 

They're like Falconer, the folk it's in the melody, not the instruments (although arguably Falconer does sound more folkish than Onmyoza)

Tulcakelume
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:37 am 

Thanks for the input!
Velzath, you can dig those songs out if you'd like, since you're familiar with the band, I would really appreciate that. Such a large discography is not easy to tackle!

Reply to topic