Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:47 am 

Hey guys,

I was recently listening to some YouTube videos detailing the Hindu pantheon and it got me thinking that Hindu mythology (as with many other ancient mythologies) is pretty fucking metal. But the issue that brings me here arises from the fact that outside of Rotting Christ, Nile, and Melechesch, my knowledge of bands that focus primarily on non-Western mythologies (the Bible or Nordic Paganism) is sorely lacking. I'm sure there are tons of bands which cover other mythologies, and I want to know the best ones of them. I'd prefer any suggestions to be black and/or death metal.

Thanks in advance!

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:14 pm 

First and foremost, you have to listen to Dolorian's Voidwards. Mythology request aside, it's hands down one of the greatest metal albums ever, a solid 10/10.
Furthermore, in their case, the spiritual subject (buddhism) carries —or at least seems to— a weight beyond novelty.

Darkestrah deals with Turkic myth. Never clicked with me, but they're quite highly regarded.

Yamatu's Shurpu Asaru nails the aesthetic aspect in presenting an exotic (Summerian) mythology. Unfortunately, the music's nothing worth writing home about, run-of-the-mill bedroom bm.

Akvan deals with Iranian myths. Incorporates folk instruments, but again, the music is rather average: atmoblack with the vocals mixed in too loud. There are some cool riffs here and there, but it's not something worth coming back to.

I bring those last two up because even if the music is so-so, there's still some entertainment value in delving, if only once, into their worlds.

Have you also considered Western, non-European mythologies/religions?

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:34 pm 

Finnish band Whispered have lyrics about Japanese mythology other things Japanese. This takes me to Sigh, of course...

There's bands with lyrics about Inca culture and mythology, fir example (Kranium come to my mind first, even though they are in Spanish).

ThrashTilDeath530
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:33 pm 

Chthonic is from Taiwan and their lyrics revolve around Taiwanese legends/mythology. Pretty good melodic black metal too.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:37 pm 

Gonin-Ish are from Japan, while they talk about "Japanese literature" according to their MA page, the reference of Japanese myths is unavoidable:

Reply to topic