Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:37 pm 

Type O Negative and mid era The Gathering aside.

Looking for stuff like this - please help! Thanks in advance.
I need it heavier with the synths. More like the first album, but Aegis is another close example I can think of.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:03 pm 

Ah, this is right up my alley. Ethereal gothic metal is one of my favorite styles of music to listen to. If these don't work, let me know what it's lacking and I can probably pull some others out of my hat that might be better. :)

Spoiler: show
As Divine Grace - Lumo

The Sins of Thy Beloved - Lake of Sorrow (perhaps a bit death/doomier than what you asked, but very synth heavy, atmospheric, and ethereal)

Lacrimas Profundere - Burning: A Wish (very similar to that album from The Blue Season)

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:21 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
Ah, this is right up my alley. Ethereal gothic metal is one of my favorite styles of music to listen to. If these don't work, let me know what it's lacking and I can probably pull some others out of my hat that might be better. :)

I already know these albums, and they really do fit when thinking about it. Thanks!

I need that overt dream poppy/ethereal wavey influence, as you can hear in the Blue Season album, with being less rooted in doom or death doom. Something like as if BMD-era Katatonia listened to even more Cocteau Twins and British goth rock, and left out the death doom influences. Do you know anything that might fit? Or something else you've thought of maybe?

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:16 am 

Switchblade Symphony comes to mind. Not metal, but it's gothic, ethereal, poppy to some extent. Some songs can be really ominous and dark, it's certainly darker than The Blue Season. There's not much keyboard though, it's a rather organic sound, but when it's used it sounds really good too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoSikq5y8yw

the whole album this song is out of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYb3t1t31Ek

The Mist of Avalon is a metal band that do have a TON sound, but sharper; check them out too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YRGkeWSw98

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:13 pm 

raspberrysoda wrote:
I need that overt dream poppy/ethereal wavey influence, as you can hear in the Blue Season album, with being less rooted in doom or death doom. Something like as if BMD-era Katatonia listened to even more Cocteau Twins and British goth rock, and left out the death doom influences. Do you know anything that might fit? Or something else you've thought of maybe?

See, it's tricky because when I think of ethereal wave, I think of how it was incorporated into more atmospheric doomy stuff like The 3rd and the Mortal, Trees of Eternity, or Flowing Tears & Withered Flowers in their "Joy Parade" era! :)

Alas, let me give this another shot. The vocal styles may not match that album from Blue Season or Aegis, but musically, I would consider them to closer fit what you have in mind.

Diabolique - The Black Flower (gothic rock/metal with smooth deep cleans and a warm shoegazey/dream poppy tone)

Cybele - Brightly Blackhearted (atmospheric gothic metal/rock that alternates between pretty straightforward goth riffing with mid-range singing, to more ethereal sounding passages)

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:11 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
blahblahblah

Thank you so much man! The Cybele stuff is exactly what I'm looking for. I already know Diabolique, and it fits too :)

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:20 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
stuff

thank you so much! really liked what you sent.

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:07 am 

Give these a go as well. Some songs might work better than others for you.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:58 am 

Here's a couple...

Tiamat - Atlantis as a Lover (from 'Deeper Kind of Slumber' album):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMDMAjquKhM

On Thorns I Lay - Feelings (from 'Crystal Tears' album):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kAEINNh94k

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:27 pm 

I honestly don't know too much stuff that's influenced by ethereal wave since it's already very niche. But as a big enjoyer of the ethereal wave subgenre of goth rock, I do know some metal bands that make use of those influences. Out of the ones not mentioned here:
- I can hear some ethereal wave influences on Tristania's World of Glass.
- Latest Draconian album Under a Godless Veil has quite a bit of ethereal wave influence.
- A little bit of a wild card, but for a pure black metal band Nocte Obducta have a lot of ethereal wave elements. Listen to the song November for example. Their Nektar albums are good examples of progressive black metal with ethereal influences.
- That song reminded me of another band called Novembre. They are a mixture of many styles of metal (doom, death, gothic, black, progressive). And they also have a lot of dream pop and ethereal wave influences. Check out their Novembrine Waltz album, for example.
- Dolorian are a doom metal band with black metal and ethereal wave/goth rock influences. Their second self-titled album is probably the most ethereal, although the others are influenced by that stuff too.
- You should check out Alcest and the whole blackgaze stuff.

Also, I have never heard of the band The Blue Season, thanks for mentioning them. They sound nice, I should check them out.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:02 pm 

The complication is that the OP mentions ethereal wave, but is looking for synthesizers. Ethereal wave is generally more driven by guitar soundscapes. It's darkwave that's more keyboard-heavy. So finding a balance is kind of tricky. I'd have mentioned Draconian and similar bands, but they're still heavily rooted in death/doom, which the poster was trying to shy away from. Though their earlier albums have less guitar and more keyboards. There's a ton more that can be mentioned if you go into ones that pull from death/doom. Or even just ones that are very ethereal, but it comes from guitars and vocals rather than synthesizers.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:00 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
The complication is that the OP mentions ethereal wave, but is looking for synthesizers. Ethereal wave is generally more driven by guitar soundscapes. It's darkwave that's more keyboard-heavy. So finding a balance is kind of tricky. I'd have mentioned Draconian and similar bands, but they're still heavily rooted in death/doom, which the poster was trying to shy away from. Though their earlier albums have less guitar and more keyboards. There's a ton more that can be mentioned if you go into ones that pull from death/doom. Or even just ones that are very ethereal, but it comes from guitars and vocals rather than synthesizers.

Yeah, it's kind of hard to understand what OP exactly wants. I just gave some examples of metal bands that are heavily influenced by ethereal wave. Keyboards and synths are of course not a part of ethereal wave, so my recommendations don't contain that. Overall OP's request is a little bit strange because if you like ethereal wave so much why won't you listen to it instead of a diluted metal version of that?

My only other recommendation to OP is to check out some real ethereal wave bands like: Autumn's Grey Solace, Love Spirals Downwards, Lycia, Drab Majesty, The Chameleons. Honestly, I used to love bands like Tristania, ToT and so on, but after I heard the real ethereal wave sound they were basing their gothic elements on, they don't look so great in comparison. Even Type O Negative is basically a ripoff of Lycia grafted onto a doom metal base (Peter Steele even admitted that).

Oh, there's also a band called The Birthday Massacre which is neither metal, nor truly gothic rock/ethereal wave, more like synth pop with elements of those genres. But maybe OP will get something out of that.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:21 pm 

A bit further out from the requirements (not as much synth), but here's some more stuff that's dark and heavy (may not be strictly "metal" as per M-A) and atmospheric and dreamy, if not necessarily overtly gothic. Let me know if any of these are interesting.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:25 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
A bit further out from the requirements (not as much synth), but here's some more stuff that's dark and heavy (may not be strictly "metal" as per M-A) and atmospheric and dreamy, if not necessarily overtly gothic. Let me know if any of these are interesting.

All of them aside for the Chelsea Wolfe song. The second and third were my favorites. Super cool stuff, thank you!

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
My only other recommendation to OP is to check out some real ethereal wave bands like: Autumn's Grey Solace, Love Spirals Downwards, Lycia, Drab Majesty, The Chameleons. Honestly, I used to love bands like Tristania, ToT and so on, but after I heard the real ethereal wave sound they were basing their gothic elements on, they don't look so great in comparison. Even Type O Negative is basically a ripoff of Lycia grafted onto a doom metal base (Peter Steele even admitted that).

I listen to these bands, but it's the metal crossovers I'm looking for. I agree Type O is pretty much a Lycia ripoff :)

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:06 pm 

raspberrysoda wrote:
I listen to these bands, but it's the metal crossovers I'm looking for. I agree Type O is pretty much a Lycia ripoff :)

So what about Dolorian/Novembre/etc.?

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:03 am 

funeralravens wrote:
So what about Dolorian/Novembre/etc.?

Novembre is pretty much it. Dolorian is also really good, but a bit too metallic for the sound I'm looking for.

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

Reply to topic