Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:32 pm 

The title: I am looking for black metal that mixes martial influences on their music.

So NSBM has been around for what? over 20 years? I'm baffled that no band yet has properly mixed black metal with martial music in a bombastic, inspiring way. Except that truth be told I've not been following the genre these last years, so I'm hoping I'm wrong and now we actually have it?

The closest I can think of is Hate Forest's Battlefields, but it's really just a short 3-song album with some interludes, and the rest of their disco is basically normal black metal
Other example is Spite Extreme Wing, which captures the feeling: a more to the upbeat side black metal album which kinda sounds like what martial military music does, sorta like "inspiring the soldiers positively" if that makes any sense. But although the feeling is there, the actual martial bits are very mild and focused on the interludes, making their albums seem more like upbeat atmoblack with some martial industrial interludes here and there.

I wanted something that actually merged both, if that makes sense? Something that wasn't just black metal with ns related lyrics and imagery but actual martial music mixed with black metal? Is there any band that succesfully (and consistently) managed to do it nowadays?

Notice I'm citing the NS here just because it's what I would suspect to be more keen to mix martial music and black metal, it doesn't HAVE to be NS. In fact it'd be even better if it didn't, but I don't really mind any lyrics. All I want is this weird martial black mix. any recs?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:17 pm 

VII Batallón de la Muerte takes cues from martial music, but it’s focused on the choral/anthemic (perhaps fitting your idea of an uplifting, inspiring sound) aspect of it rather than any drum beats.

Vichy leans into the martial/industrial side; you’ll get the marching beats, but be ready for some rather harsh sounds.

Both are fantastic bands, by the way, regardless of fitting the specific request.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:30 am 

Maybe N.K.V.D. ? I think checking out industrial black metal in general is likely to yield you some desired results. If you find something, consider letting us know cause i too want to hear some martial/black metal ::)

Camouflageman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:04 am 

I would recommend a very interesting project – Vyšehrad – not on metallum. It's black metal that also plays martial industrial and combines both in some songs. He even has an album purely in the military ambient, martial-industrial/noise genre.

Songs from his current album featuring martial drums: https://vysehrad.bandcamp.com/track/slatina-moor
Here a purely martial industrial track: https://vysehrad.bandcamp.com/album/bat ... for-europe
Or a combination of both from older albums: https://vysehrad.bandcamp.com/track/slunovrat

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:45 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
VII Batallón de la Muerte takes cues from martial music, but it’s focused on the choral/anthemic (perhaps fitting your idea of an uplifting, inspiring sound) aspect of it rather than any drum beats.

MUCHACHOS AHORA NOS VOLVIMOS A ILUSIONAR QUIERO GANAR LA TERCERA QUIERO SER CAMPEON MUNDIAL.

I second the VII Batallón recomendation, its argentinian NSBM tho if you don't mind that stuff. Pro 70s Videla's National Reorganization Process. Very martial, very military style aesthetic, really far right band.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:13 pm 

Only one I could think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5LDua40i8

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:38 pm 

Have you listened to the Arditi/Marduk compilation? They collaborated together to make this militaristic Neo fascist black metal sounds, it's all very alt righty, but I understood that this is the kind of music that you are looking for.

Disclaimer: Lyrics and themes of these kinds of bands are pretty fucked up overall, I don't support any of the views of this kind of bands and arguably Arditi isn't a metal band, more of a Neo atmospheric, military marches, Italian fascist band. Not so sure why we can't have metalcore/deathcore or industrial metal in the archives, but we have this kind of bands there, which couldn't be farther from metal.

Reply to topic