Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:59 am 

Didnt really know which general thread this would beling to. As described looking for metal with female operatic vocals pretty much exclusively, no backing choirs or alternating with more traditional cleans. Doesn't necessarily even have to be symphonic metal. 'Beauty and the beast' style is OK though I'd prefer if any growls were the less frequent of the partnership.

Don't worry about posting anything you might consider too obvious (besides Nightwish) I'm sure there's probably lots of bands I heard over a decade ago which fit this criteria that I've totally forgotten about.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 am 

If you're open to music beyond metal, you should look into the genre called "neoclassical darkwave". I can recommend a band called Dark Sanctuary, it's mostly "female operatic vocals", but they also have a little bit of backing choirs and male speech. I don't think you'll find a lot of bands with purely operatic vocals and nothing else going on, Nightwish don't fit this description either. Anyway, here's one of their more vocal-oriented songs, although the instrumentation by this band is also top-notch, much better and more impressive than any symphonic metal band.

Unfortunately, I can't really recommend any metal bands that fit your description, because these bands either have vocals that are not operatic (The Gathering), or the music is subpar and too poppy (pretty much all of the female-fronted symphonic metal bands). I guess you could check out Sirenia's latest 3 albums, Emmanuelle Zoldan is an actual opera singer and the music is at least listenable, even if it's not as good as their early stuff. Maybe also Xandria starting from Neverworld's End, when they became a Nightwish clone.

Edit: Oh, forgot to say that Dark Sanctuary's Metal album fits your bill actually. It contains metal renditions of their songs and may be an entry point into their non-metal music (it was for me).

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:36 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Didnt really know which general thread this would beling to. As described looking for metal with female operatic vocals pretty much exclusively, no backing choirs or alternating with more traditional cleans. Doesn't necessarily even have to be symphonic metal. 'Beauty and the beast' style is OK though I'd prefer if any growls were the less frequent of the partnership.

Don't worry about posting anything you might consider too obvious (besides Nightwish) I'm sure there's probably lots of bands I heard over a decade ago which fit this criteria that I've totally forgotten about.

Pythia

Whispering Woods

Poemisia

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:55 pm 

Here's some melodic doom stuff with lead operatic soprano singing.

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:38 am 

Folterkammer - female operatic with some BM shrieks (one singer). One of the best albums of 2020, regardless of style.

WulfKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:14 am 

When I first heard the Folterkammer record, I swore it was Nina Hagen on vocals.

That record is sublime.

Seconding the Dark Sanctuary materiel, also.

Reply to topic