Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MorbidSaint69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:00 pm 

Orchid by Opeth is one of my all time favorite albums. I cannot begin to explain how important and unique it is to me. Nothing I've heard ocmes close; even the other Opeth albums sound like a completely different band to me. Do you know any other albums like Orchid? Some things I'm specifically looking for that resemble it are: the melodic almost power metal riffing, the random rock and roll riffs, acoustic interludes, and meandering and/or long compositions, as well as the general atmosphere of it. Early Katatonia imo comes close with atmosphere, and Amorphis does so in some of their riffs, but they're not quite "there". Also not only I hope it sounds like Orchid, but that it expressely does not sound like other Opeth. Does this exist?

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 3:08 pm 

Check out
* I always thought that Ikuinen Kaamos - The Forlorn was Opeth inspired (debut)
* Thy Serpent - Death MCD and only this MCD also had a nice Opeth vibe.

Oh, and finally there is the German Opeth: Scythe (https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Scythe/426)
Absolutely stunning band. You can buy their 5-CD bundle for 25 Euros at Witches Brew bandcamp page (clearance sale as the label is closing down): https://witchesbrewthrashes.bandcamp.co ... -cd-bundle

Interesting that the CDs can be found on youtube now. There were basically nearly no uploads for albums 2-5 until last year.

From the 5th CD:

Full 2nd CD:

Full 3rd CD (features oldest demo songs, hence quite raw and not Opeth like):

Full 4th CD:

Debut CD:

MorbidSaint69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:56 pm 

[quote="peterott"]Check out
* I always thought that Ikuinen Kaamos - The Forlorn was Opeth inspired (debut)
* Thy Serpent - Death MCD and only this MCD also had a nice Opeth vibe.

Oh, and finally there is the German Opeth: Scythe (https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Scythe/426)
Absolutely stunning band. You can buy their 5-CD bundle for 25 Euros at Witches Brew bandcamp page (clearance sale as the label is closing down): https://witchesbrewthrashes.bandcamp.co ... -cd-bundle

Interesting that the CDs can be found on youtube now. There were basically nearly no uploads for albums 2-5 until last year.

Thanks for the recommendations, but these aren't what I'm looking for. I can hear the Opeth influence on all 3 albums I've heard so far (The Forlorn, Death and On My way Home), but I expressely said I do not want it to sound like Opeth, I want it to sound like Opeth's Orchid. There's an abbysmal difference there. Are any the other Scythe albums anything like Orchid, or should I keep looking somewhere else?

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:14 am 

I thought "Season of the tall pines" (CD5) is extremely similar to Orchid, which is my favourite Opeth too. That one and CD4 (Decay), while the first 3 are sounding as if Opeth recorded something between the Crowley Demo '90 and Orchid in '92 (means Scythe needed a longer phase than 2 years to reach the level of Orchid) - if it's clear what I mean.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:02 am 

Do you know Obsequiae? I reckon they could be what you're after. I know they're technically black metal, but I always got a vague BM atmosphere from Orchid anyway. The melodies, the atmosphere, the acoustic interludes all fit the bill.

https://youtu.be/40ivTqlsg98

Edit:
I've just spent the morning listening to all 3 of Obsequiae's album, and I'm even more convinced this is the closest you'll get to something that sounds like Orchid. Yes, there's more BM and less prog/rock influence, but the melodies, interludes and atmosphere are spot on. IMO.

MorbidSaint69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:17 pm 

balbulus wrote:
Do you know Obsequiae? I reckon they could be what you're after. I know they're technically black metal, but I always got a vague BM atmosphere from Orchid anyway. The melodies, the atmosphere, the acoustic interludes all fit the bill.
Quote:

Quote:
https://youtu.be/40ivTqlsg98

Quote:
Edit:

Quote:
I've just spent the morning listening to all 3 of Obsequiae's album, and I'm even more convinced this is the closest you'll get to something that sounds like Orchid. Yes, there's more BM and less prog/rock influence, but the melodies, interludes and atmosphere are spot on. IMO.

Thank you very much! I can definitely hear a lot of Orchid vibes in all 3 albums. The atmosphere is there at times, and the riffs are certainly Orchidish for the most part; the thin guitar tone helped a lot, too. It has way more tremolo picking and blast beats than I would want, but generally it's what I was looking for. Thank you!

Reply to topic