Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:59 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm looking for something similar to Sepultura's Morbid Visions / Bestial Devastation. Possibly an album that has a slightly raw blackened thrash or death/thrash sound. I know that the Cogumelo Record label is not well known but their quality of music is what I'm searching for. Not on all albums of course.

early Vulcano should do the trick

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:13 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Last night I saw Toxik with Mike Sanders do World Circus in its entirety and it ruled. I've always enjoyed that album, but I have a feeling I'll be spinning it constantly now. I'm going to need to revisit Think This because I never got into that one as much, but perhaps it will grow on me now that I've heard a few songs from it live.

I didn't realize before this show that Sanders isn't actually their singer anymore. He agreed to do these 3 Canadian dates only. They also didn't announce before the tour that they were doing all of World Circus. And supposedly they never rehearsed because they brought some guy from Canada's west coast out to play bass, so he couldn't rehearse with them. But even Sanders said he didn't really get to rehearse either. Somehow it was flawless. Josh Christian is easily one of the best guitarists I've ever seen live, and Sanders sounds every bit as good as he did on the album.

That's awesome!

Yeah, this whole thing is strange because Charlie Sabin's departure was pretty much not made public. I only was made aware of it when they announced a new box set with re-recordings done by a new singer (the guy from Xenophile, a promising new thrash band). Apparently it took too much of Charlie's time and he couldn't commit to Toxik because he owns his own business. The reason for Mike's departure was never given, though it's good to see that they're all apparently on good terms.

Very strange that they did this show with a fill-in bassist. Who does that for music this technical?

Yeah, Josh is amazing and truly underrated in the metal scene. Hopefully they will put out more releases, play more shows, and get more recognition.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:37 pm 

Best Polish thrash album?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:41 pm 

Kat's 88 album (er... odech something something) and the next one (Bastard), which is techier/proggier would be my picks.

Check also Turbo (1986 - 1990 if you ask me) and Wolf Spider (Kingdom of Paranoia) and I'd say you're pretty much covered.

Magnus' debut is also very cool, proper deathrash.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:14 pm 

Ok - as a Polish thrasher let me get a shot at this. Go with these:

Kat - Oddech Wymarłych Światów (probably the best Polish thrash album bar none. Metallica-influenced but still savage, powerful and thrashy)
Turbo - Ostatni Wojownik (this one is Turbo's straight-ahead thrash album in the style of early Flotsam and Jetsam)
Astaroth - Gloomy Experiments (amazing tech-thrash album!)
Wolf Spider - Kingdom of Paranoia (even more tech-thrash - this one is probably even better than the Astaroth one!)
Magnus - I Was Watching My Death (in the Slayer/early Sepultura style of deathrash - vicious and brutal!)
Geisha Goner - Catching Broadness (more middle-of-the-road thrash with lots of technical flair)
Egzekuthor - Hateful Subconsciousnes (rawer, powerful and aiming toward death metal but still thrashy)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:06 pm 

Thanks, man! I will raise several Polish beers from the Polski Sklep round the corner to those! I'm familiar only with Kat's heavy metal stuff (the 1985 album is fucking great!), I just got Turbo's debut, too. The Astaroth album is already in my collection, but shamefully, I've never given it proper attention (it was a £5 deal on amazon, so it's been waiting until I was in the mood). There's some names I've never heard of there, too, so that should be good fun. :)

I have Turbo's 1990 album, Dead End, it's good but not great, I'd say. I prefer them when they were channeling Accept.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:24 pm 

Kat's earlier heavy/speed stuff is great also but that album is probably their best one as far as pure songwriting quality goes. Really great stuff. Turbo's debut is pure heavy metal and they went a heavier/speedier route on their third album (Kawaleria Szatana) which is also great but not thrashy. The one I reccomended is pure Flotsam-Jetsam thrash in best possible manner with some good old Polish wild attitude.

Dead End is a good record in the Slayer/Sepultura vein but the songs are not as good as on Ostatni Wojownik.

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:38 pm 

Speaking of Wolf Spider, the rest of their early stuff is also really good - Drifting in the Sullen Sea was always my favorite. Even if it's not quite as thrashy as Kingdom of Paranoia, it's definitely their most adventurous.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:02 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

I was going to recommend Turbo - Epidemie, but it looks like Mr. Vic has convinced me that I need to check out Kat.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:10 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I was going to recommend Turbo - Epidemie, but it looks like Mr. Vic has convinced me that I need to check out Kat.

Epidemie is a good album but does not sound like Turbo at all - it is something more akin to a Wolf Spider album. Do not get me wrong its solid but nothing spectacular. Go with Kat or something I listed above.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:12 pm 

If it helps, here are all my Turbo reviews. I have a Wolf Spider one as well on a subsequent page. Admittedly I didn't review any more Wolf Spider because I found them so boring.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/GeneralZ ... of-art/16/

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:16 pm 

Ah. Got ya. Funny how you rated Ostatni Wojownik and Last Warrior kinda differently - this is more-or-less the same album.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 am 

Zdan wrote:
Ah. Got ya. Funny how you rated Ostatni Wojownik and Last Warrior kinda differently - this is more-or-less the same album.

I'll revisit those reviews. I probably listened to all those albums in the span of two days.

"Epidemie" is the only one I've come back to for enjoyment.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:21 am 

Funny because most people do not like "Epidemie" much. If you like it try Kat "Bastard", the Astaroth album I mentioned above and the Geisha Goner album.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 am 

Zdan wrote:
Funny because most people do not like "Epidemie" much. If you like it try Kat "Bastard", the Astaroth album I mentioned above and the Geisha Goner album.

I didn't really like Astaroth or Geisha Goner.

From my reviews:

Astharoth

Gloomy Experiments (1990)

Pretty intense riffing at times but overall not as brutal as, say, Dark Angel. Some progressive rhythms at times with the rhythm guitar and the drums. Raspy atonal thrash vocals. A lot of speedy sections. Solos are a bit odd and aren't as advanced as the riff work. Some of the instrumental melodic guitar runs sound like they might appear on some Shrapnel guitar shredders solo album, though not quite as technical as that might sound. I think the production is one of the things that really holds this release back.

Not very coherent or catchy.

Favorite tracks:
None in particular but nothing really stands out as bad

This album might appeal to fans of Invocator or Aspid.

IIRC I listened to Geisha Goner and decided not to even bother trying to review it. But it's been a while since I've heard it.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:25 am 

Zdan wrote:
Funny because most people do not like "Epidemie" much.

I'm a sucker for stuff in the Toxik vein, and that album is their closest to that style. Plus the guitar/drum work on there is quite adept.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:32 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Zdan wrote:
Funny because most people do not like "Epidemie" much.

I'm a sucker for stuff in the Toxik vein, and that album is their closest to that style. Plus the guitar/drum work on there is quite adept.

Got ya. Not many things in that vein on the Polish scene where the most focus was on rawness and brutality. Try Kat and "Bastard" - that might be your alley (although no high vocals).

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:20 am 

Zdan wrote:
Got ya. Not many things in that vein on the Polish scene where the most focus was on rawness and brutality. Try Kat and "Bastard" - that might be your alley (although no high vocals).

I'll check em out.

The Czech scene has some really great underrated thrash stuff, even better than the (surprisingly good) Polish scene. I wonder why no one talks about it. Stuff like:
Anachronic - Lame Gart And... (1993)
Asmodeus - Prosincová noc blíže neurčeného Roku
Scenery - The Drowning Shadows of Mankind
Mindwork - Into the Swirl

The Netherlands was also an underrated hotbed for prog thrash too.
Altered Moves Two
Genetic Wisdom
Osiris
Expulsion
Mystrez
Paralysis
Virtual
Decision D
Pestilence
Sacrosanct

Not sure why these regions gravitated to progressive thrash and others didn't.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:31 pm 

Any Voight Kampff fans here? I just bought their new album and am giving it a spin. Not sure I enjoy this as much as the debut.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:56 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Any Voight Kampff fans here? I just bought their new album and am giving it a spin. Not sure I enjoy this as much as the debut.

Tried to get into them based on a recommendation from a friend of mine. Too technical for my tastes and too hard to follow.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:47 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Tried to get into them based on a recommendation from a friend of mine. Too technical for my tastes and too hard to follow.

I really enjoyed the debut. Several good cuts on that one.

This new one is really dull, only one song I enjoyed: Fires of Orc.

Sounds cold and sterile but not as technical as I see people saying all over the web.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:14 pm 

Yeah - I got a cold, mechanical feeling from them and not in a good way. The music was almost anti-catchy.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:40 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Yeah - I got a cold, mechanical feeling from them and not in a good way. The music was almost anti-catchy.

Yeah, there is something weird about it.

In their defense, they sound nothing like any other retro-thrash acts around today and aren't trying to copy Vektor.

Even though they are often compared to Death and Coroner they really have their own style.

And apparently they all came from a metalcore band before doing this? Almost too hard to believe. I don't hear any traces of that whatsoever in their music.

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:43 am 

I haven't heard their debut, but I got major Obliveon vibes from the recent album. They're a decent band, not one my favorites.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:46 am 

For those that like the technical, melodic style that Sylosis and Anterior (among others) put out, check out Lucis Absentia. They're very similar to Sylosis but I can't stop spinning them.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 pm 

I'm looking of albums that are old school death/black fused with thrash metal. Something like Mutilator, Sarcofago, or early Sepulture.

Last edited by ~Guest 118084 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm looking for old school death/thrash metal albums. Something like Mutilator, Sarcofago, or early Sepulture.

Try Magnus (from Poland) - I Was Watching My Death. Rabid, furious death/thrash like those you said (with a dose of Demolition Hammer).

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:23 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm looking of albums that are old school death/black fused with thrash metal. Something like Mutilator, Sarcofago, or early Sepulture.

Sadus - Swallowed in Black
Protector - A Shedding of Skin
Thanatos - Emerging from the Netherworlds
Agressor - Neverending Destiny
Solstice - (any)
Hellwitch - (any)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:24 pm 

TimeDoesNotHeal wrote:
I haven't heard their debut, but I got major Obliveon vibes from the recent album. They're a decent band, not one my favorites.

They're nowhere near that technical (or good) TBH. But I legitimately enjoy that debut and have spun it many times. This new one is such a disappointment.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:40 pm 

Hey guys. I've never posted here, but I need some recs. I got into metal years ago through thrash, so it's always been dear to me. However, I've heard very few albums or bands that I like after 91 or 92. Surely I'm missing out on some stuff though. Is there any stuff you guys would recommend that is from recent years? I do like Vektor but I'm not a massive fan. I really love that second Dekapitator album, and Witchtrap are awesome. Power Trip are pretty cool too. I like a production that isn't too polished. Most classic bands I like the first album or two, but I've made some exceptions.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:53 am 

Antichrist (swe) 's two albums are true scorchers and not overpolished, don't miss them! :)

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:29 am 

Distillator has really grabbed my attention. Dutch band. Huge Vektor influence without the toxic love/hate vocals and a bit more straightforward. Excellent stuff:

Distillator - Swarm Intelligence

I've also been enjoying Chemi-Caust's album, nothing groundbreaking at all (quite the contrary) but it works well.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:08 pm 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
Hey guys. I've never posted here, but I need some recs. I got into metal years ago through thrash, so it's always been dear to me. However, I've heard very few albums or bands that I like after 91 or 92. Surely I'm missing out on some stuff though. Is there any stuff you guys would recommend that is from recent years? I do like Vektor but I'm not a massive fan. I really love that second Dekapitator album, and Witchtrap are awesome. Power Trip are pretty cool too. I like a production that isn't too polished. Most classic bands I like the first album or two, but I've made some exceptions.

Check these out:
HYPNOSIA - Extreme Hatred (a bit like Kreator or Sadus)
ELIMINATOR - Breaking the Wheel (like a more technical Kreator or Sodom)
TEMPLE OF BLOOD - Overlord (my band, most similar to something like Annihilator I guess)
SUICIDAL ANGELS - Eternal Domination (a bit like Kreator I guess, noticing a pattern?)
VOIGHT KAMPFF - More Human than Human (fans of Coroner or Death will probably like this one)
TESTAMENT - The Gathering (probably the top thrash album since its heyday)
EXODUS - Tempo of the Damned (great comeback record)

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:02 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
TimeDoesNotHeal wrote:

They're nowhere near that technical (or good) TBH. But I legitimately enjoy that debut and have spun it many times. This new one is such a disappointment.

Yeah, I should've clarified that I didn't think they're nearly as good as Obliveon, and that I was reminded of some of the more boring parts of Nemesis.

MayanWarrior86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 am 

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this band yet but if anyone wants some blackened thrash metal with a kick of punk, here's a cool band from Brazil called Orgia Nuclear. They just released their debut full-length album this year.

https://orgianuclear.bandcamp.com/album ... ull-length

MayanWarrior86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:51 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I've been browsing around the youtube channel New Wave of Old School Thrash Metal and found tons of stuff I like.

So I'm sure that I want to explore thrash metal in greater depth. Can someone recommend some bands for a level 2 listener. Level 1 of course being someone who has heard Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth etc.

Thanks in advance.

I notice you're based in India. I know they're a bit more underground but would you be familiar with Exalter by any chance? They're a Bangladeshi band in the vein of Sepultura and Sodom. I'm sure you might like them.

As for level 2 metal, try out
Razor
Hirax
Sacrifice
Blood Feast
At War
Darkness
Whiplash
Infernal Majesty
Forbidden
Vio-lence
Violent Force

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:09 pm 

MayanWarrior86 wrote:
Razor
Hirax
Sacrifice
Blood Feast
At War
Darkness
Whiplash
Infernal Majesty
Violent Force

To me, those bands are like level 3-5. I assume we are using "level" to refer to their popularity.

MayanWarrior86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:46 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
MayanWarrior86 wrote:
Razor
Hirax
Sacrifice
Blood Feast
At War
Darkness
Whiplash
Infernal Majesty
Violent Force

To me, those bands are like level 3-5. I assume we are using "level" to refer to their popularity.

Assuming if bands like Testament, Exodus, Kreator, etc are level 1, I'd figure at least Razor and Hirax to be level 2. I guess the others in 3-5 might be true though.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:04 am 

MayanWarrior86 wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I've been browsing around the youtube channel New Wave of Old School Thrash Metal and found tons of stuff I like.

So I'm sure that I want to explore thrash metal in greater depth. Can someone recommend some bands for a level 2 listener. Level 1 of course being someone who has heard Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth etc.

Thanks in advance.

I notice you're based in India. I know they're a bit more underground but would you be familiar with Exalter by any chance? They're a Bangladeshi band in the vein of Sepultura and Sodom. I'm sure you might like them.

Razor
Hirax
Sacrifice
Blood Feast
At War
Darkness
Whiplash
Infernal Majesty
Forbidden
Vio-lence
Violent Force

Well, no I'm not familiar with them. I was just going through a death metal phase but now I'm back into thrash. Let me listen to your recs and I'l l relate my feedback here.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:08 am 

Btw, I found a really cool thrash band here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYBSk9 ... R7zd5lni95

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 136  Next