Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:56 pm 

So one of my favorite things to do when I am with my girlfriend is introduce her to new music. She also returns the favor and got me into some good classic stuff and so we take turns on who does the music in the car.

A song that I like seems to resonate with her a lot, and I want to find new music (or already known music to my ears that I might overlook) that is similar in style, tone and catchiness to this particular tune.

The song is The Last Frontier by Keldian. It has everything, a big epic chorus, an amazing guitar solo, very well done vocals and plenty of riffs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1XvEa0aY40

While I am at it, her favorite styles of music tend to be classic rock and classic metal. Of course I am playing a lot of that stuff, and sometimes stuff of mine in between. I once played a funeral doom song, The June Frost by Mournful Congregation (it isn't very long) and she said it was in 3/4 time. She used to be a drummer!

So, on top of Keldian-like sounding bands, give me some good overlooked 80s sounding classic metal bands.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:58 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
plenty of riffs!

you're joking, right? :D

good song, but it's basically europop... try Europe (the band), Stratovarius, etc.

oh, and
Youtube: show

Spoiler: show
she used to be a drummer!? this can't end well :p

W0lfsBl00d
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:48 am 

Black Majesty and Excalion came to mind when I popped on that Keldian song. But as for my recommendations, that are in that realm, I go with Visigoth's 2018 album, Conqueror's Oath, to any fan of heavy or power metal. And also Unleash the Archers latest album, Apex, is a damn monster as well, absolutely badass melodic death/power metal band.

And I see youre into Dio, definitely check out Diviner's new album,Realms of Time, it's like Iced Earth and Dio had a baby. Ironflame is clearly Dio influenced as well, they had an outstanding 2018 album, Tales of Splendor and Sorrow.

Other recent stuff I'd recommend that's in a heavy and/or power metal realm:

Ravenous E.H., Eat the Fallen
Judicator, The Last Emporer
Wings of Destiny, Revelations
Thornbridge, Theatrical Masterpiece.
Myrath, Shehili

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:54 am 

Hmmm, have you tried listening to the most recent Pharaoh album? It's pretty melodic.

Reply to topic