Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:19 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Unrelated: did anyone else notice Howie say in the Best-of 2000s Poll thread that he's rerecorded ...And Rome Shall Fall with a new vocalist and has new demo material in the works? I mean, ...And Rome Shall Fall is a great album as-is, but it happens to also have a terrible drum sound and there's something about the production in general that always felt a bit off to me, though it's hard to put my finger on. Either way, a different take on the tracks with another vocalist would be interesting to hear if nothing else.

I had a listen to Eternal Winter last night to suss out the new vocalist and the dudes bloody talented but what's up with the David Defeis impressions??!! I really hope he gets his own thing going with Cauldron Born cause he's clearly got the chops but the world doesn't need another Defeis.
As for the rerecording... why? Just reissue it. I'd like to know the reasoning for this. I've been listening to that album since it came out and it is what it is warts n all. Reissue it so new fans can get it cause you know people are still gonna want the original despite the rerecording. I want new stuff dammit.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
I had a listen to Eternal Winter last night to suss out the new vocalist and the dudes bloody talented but what's up with the David Defeis impressions??!! I really hope he gets his own thing going with Cauldron Born cause he's clearly got the chops but the world doesn't need another Defeis.

You know that David DeFeis did guest vocals on track 9, right? Surely you must have heard that one. :lol:

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:17 pm 

Yeah, I saw Howie's Cauldron Born update. Obviously I love ...And Rome Shall Fall (it was my number one album of that decade poll), but I'm really excited to see what Howie and crew do with the re-recordings. I fucking love how over the top Eternal Winter are, and feel like Matthew Knight is an excellent fit. Kind of a match made in heaven. I am lucky enough to own the ...And Rome Shall Fall CD, so it'll be a blast to compare the two versions to each other.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:05 am 

colin040 wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:

You know that David DeFeis did guest vocals on track 9, right? Surely you must have heard that one. :lol:

Hahaha yeah I actually fell asleep about half way through the album. The vocals on the first track were all over the place and not in a good way but he toned it down for the others I heard. I went back and heard track 9, nuthin special, the duet didn't do anything for me (David Defeis' vocals and songwriting have been average to fuckin terrible since at least 2010). As a longtime fan of Cauldron Born (I've namedropped them a few times around here), I REALLY don't want squeaks, squawks and 1000 different vocals going on in Cauldron Born songs. But hey, ultimately it's up to Howie and the band, and ultimately I don't have to buy it if I don't like it, pretty bloody simple really.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:09 pm 

Has anyone heard the 2021 Golden Core remaster of Legend's (NWOBHM) self titled debut? I'm wondering how it compares to the remaster done for the Monster Records comp back in 2002.

I'm really disappointed in those bonus tracks though. Couldn't even put the full EP on there? I'm guessing the other two tracks will be the bonus to Death in the Nursery. The Monster Records comp got both full lengths, the EP, and the previously unreleased demo on 2 discs.

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:13 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
colin040 wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:

Hahaha yeah I actually fell asleep about half way through the album. The vocals on the first track were all over the place and not in a good way but he toned it down for the others I heard. I went back and heard track 9, nuthin special, the duet didn't do anything for me (David Defeis' vocals and songwriting have been average to fuckin terrible since at least 2010). As a longtime fan of Cauldron Born (I've namedropped them a few times around here), I REALLY don't want squeaks, squawks and 1000 different vocals going on in Cauldron Born songs. But hey, ultimately it's up to Howie and the band, and ultimately I don't have to buy it if I don't like it, pretty bloody simple really.

Doomicus, thanks in advance for your continued support! I will have the CDs by the second week of July. I will make an announcement soon.

Howie

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:48 am 

New Pharaoh rules, as expected. They never rest on their laurels, do they?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
New Pharaoh rules, as expected. They never rest on their laurels, do they?

It's definitely in the albums of the year running for me at this point. A grower because of just how thoroughly developed it is.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:35 am 

I can't imagine much topping the Pharaoh album for me. Just so fucking good. Nobody really writes like them. There's just a kind of dextrous melodic craftsmanship that you don't always get with metal and it comes with this real personal DIY kind of feel that a lot of really cool bands have.

Helloween surprisingly came close though. A splendid piece of metal. Just everything you want in PM right there.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:40 am 

I'm not the biggest connoisseur of Japanese power metal or even power metal in general, but Anelas' 2020 debut Time to Change is REALLY fucking good. Unlike most of the Japanese power metal that seems to get mentioned around here, these guys aren't particularly neoclassical or "flowery," I have no idea what fellow countrymen to compare them to, I'd say the biggest comparisons my not-so-knowledgable about power metal mind can make are Iron Maiden and Helloween. I also heard a little bit of Priest in at least one song and Thin Lizzy in another song, but those influences are dwarfed by the Maiden/Helloween influences. There's a real epic flair to the songwriting in a lot of the songs (mostly in the first half of the album) that remind me of bands that typically have "epic" in their genre tag on this site. The only downside to this album for me is the vocals aren't too strong, but they're not too bad either. The vocals are not at all DIckenson or Kiske like, they stick mostly to mid-range and his accent is quite noticeable. The guitars fucking RULE though.

Basically if you like not-so flowery power metal and like it mostly for the guitars, definitely check it out.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:17 pm 

New Helloween will likely be my album of the year, but I need more time with the new Pharaoh.

Just dropped a new solo track today, featuring the drummer from Adamantis behind the kit. It's an ode to classic speedy power metal, some of you folks may dig:

Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:48 pm 

That was pretty much excellent, Mr Man! Give me an album anyday.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:15 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I'm not the biggest connoisseur of Japanese power metal or even power metal in general, but Anelas' 2020 debut Time to Change is REALLY fucking good. Unlike most of the Japanese power metal that seems to get mentioned around here, these guys aren't particularly neoclassical or "flowery," I have no idea what fellow countrymen to compare them to, I'd say the biggest comparisons my not-so-knowledgable about power metal mind can make are Iron Maiden and Helloween. I also heard a little bit of Priest in at least one song and Thin Lizzy in another song, but those influences are dwarfed by the Maiden/Helloween influences. There's a real epic flair to the songwriting in a lot of the songs (mostly in the first half of the album) that remind me of bands that typically have "epic" in their genre tag on this site. The only downside to this album for me is the vocals aren't too strong, but they're not too bad either. The vocals are not at all DIckenson or Kiske like, they stick mostly to mid-range and his accent is quite noticeable. The guitars fucking RULE though.

Basically if you like not-so flowery power metal and like it mostly for the guitars, definitely check it out.

Interesting...sounds kind of like Liege Lord travelled a few years forward in time and abducted mid-90s Tobias Sammet to do the vocals. Sounds pretty good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:30 pm 

Just heard there's supposed to be new Seasons of the Wolf stuff in a few weeks plus another album early next year. Here's hoping it'll all be killer.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Just heard there's supposed to be new Seasons of the Wolf stuff in a few weeks plus another album early next year. Here's hoping it'll all be killer.

Wicked.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:04 pm 

On metalcrypt.com I just read a review of Marta Gabriel's (Crystal Viper) debut solo album, which releases July 16. It's a cover album and the songs are all by female fronted metal bands, really cool idea I thought. Having no original material I guess disqualifies her from having a page on this site, so I wanted to give a heads up in case someone misses out on this record for that reason. "Metal Queen" originally by Lee Aaron here:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:31 pm 

Element_man wrote:
Just dropped a new solo track today, featuring the drummer from Adamantis behind the kit. It's an ode to classic speedy power metal, some of you folks may dig:

Just heard the track, count me in as far as this project goes. Really fresh, Riot-ish speed metal with a little bit of Vicious Rumors thrown in (to my ears). Shit fucking RIPTS! Great job.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:14 pm 

New Portrait song just dropped. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I'll have to give it a couple more listens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCmak39UYLw

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:23 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
New Portrait song just dropped. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I'll have to give it a couple more listens.

Great track, nothing to think about here. And once again, it's easier to appreciate the song if you don't watch the video.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:31 am 

I didn't think I'd ever say something like this, but they might actually be better as a Mercyful Fate worship band. At least on Crossroads, I think they managed to really capture some of what made Mercyful Fate SO good.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:08 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Yeah, I saw Howie's Cauldron Born update. Obviously I love ...And Rome Shall Fall (it was my number one album of that decade poll), but I'm really excited to see what Howie and crew do with the re-recordings. I fucking love how over the top Eternal Winter are, and feel like Matthew Knight is an excellent fit. Kind of a match made in heaven. I am lucky enough to own the ...And Rome Shall Fall CD, so it'll be a blast to compare the two versions to each other.

My problem with the re-recording is mostly that I thought they really nailed the vocals on the original. The instrumental side sounds much better, the original sounds like they were recorded underwater, but man, after hearing ...And Rome Shall Fall, did ANYONE think "gosh, this is good, but if only the vocals were a little more over the top." The new guy is actually pretty great when he sticks to the midrange, but he really overdoes the warbles at the high end and it really spoils some of the choruses for me. "Finder of the Black Stone" is a prime example.

Not to dump on it too much, it definitely has its merits and I'll be picking up a copy for sure. It's just not the "definitive version" I was hoping for, where we can all safely chuck the old version in the trash (or Recycle Bin, if you're using Windows). Each does some things better than the other.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:47 am 

Yeah, "Finder of the Black Stone" is the one song where I was like "Damn, the original is just straight up better than this." Based on the thread in MetDisc, it sounds like most other people enjoyed the high warbles (well, two people did, at least), but I also think they're the one thing that kind of spoils it a bit. I think overall it's better than the original (largely due to the world of difference production-wise), but yeah, it's definitely not "the definitive" version. Honestly, though, I think I'd rather have two different versions to listen to for slightly different moods rather than just chucking the old one in the trash. But that's just me.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 am 

"Finder of the Black Stone" may be my favorite on there, guess I gotta hear the old one then.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:21 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
doomicus wrote:

My problem with the re-recording is mostly that I thought they really nailed the vocals on the original. The instrumental side sounds much better, the original sounds like they were recorded underwater, but man, after hearing ...And Rome Shall Fall, did ANYONE think "gosh, this is good, but if only the vocals were a little more over the top." The new guy is actually pretty great when he sticks to the midrange, but he really overdoes the warbles at the high end and it really spoils some of the choruses for me. "Finder of the Black Stone" is a prime example.

Not to dump on it too much, it definitely has its merits and I'll be picking up a copy for sure. It's just not the "definitive version" I was hoping for, where we can all safely chuck the old version in the trash (or Recycle Bin, if you're using Windows). Each does some things better than the other.

I'm honestly hugely into over the top and unorthodox performances, so the vocals on the re-recordings really do it for me. I think in the end I'll end up preferring the new versions, but I'll definitely be revisiting the original regularly as well. I love that I get to nerd out on both releases. I can understand those that do find Matthew Knight too over the top, though, as he sort of fits in an acquired taste niche zone.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:24 pm 

I think Knight is the good kind of over the top, he really adds a lot to this I feel.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:56 am 

I've just finished Angel Dust's To Dust You Will Decay and man, it's a funny album, I'll tell you that. The first few tracks are solid-as-hell and then suddenly ''The Duell'' appears and BLOWS EVERY OTHER FUCKING TRACK AWAY WITH ITS USPM-ESQUE RIFFS. Seriously, what the hell were these guys thinking? It's as if the band suddenly ditched their Germanic flavors and exchanged it for some Helstar-esque power/thrash mania.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:28 am 

Gotta say I didn't know what to make of Realm - Endless War for a bit, but it's really growing on me when I've been able to really sit down and concentrate on it. These songs have a lot of character to them.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:37 am 

Yeah that's a great album. Super chaotic speed/thrash with some USPM vibes thrown in as well, the energy is insane. You should check out the "Perceptive Incentive" demo as well, in a similar vein I'd say though perhaps not quite as intense. Stay away from the sophomore album though, Realm are on the long, long list of bands with great debuts and shitty follow-ups, unfortunately.

EDIT: Unrelated, but forgot to mention I just heard the new Blacksword album that came out officially today (though it's been on the NWOTHM Youtube channel for a few days), and it's an excellent follow-up to The Sword Accurst. Took 11 years to come out, and it's not quite as weird and technical as the debut, but the power and songwriting ability are definitely still there. Glad they got things back on track as I remember hearing, sometime circa 2012, that they had gone in the direction of "groove-era Overkill with violins," which is fucking terrible. Thrilled that shit didn't stick and they returned to their roots.

EDIT 2: Looking at the reviews for Realm's second album, I'm not sure if I just had a wildly different opinion of it than everyone else or if I'm confusing them with someone else. Was thinking it was truly terrible so maybe I am confusing it. Will have to revisit the second album and reevaluate I guess.

macmoney wrote:

Last edited by Jophelerx on Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:44 am 

I've never really heard anything like "Eminence" in particular. It's got this balladesque quality but is still quite thrashy and complex at the same time. Lyrically it's a surrealistic nightmare. Powerful song.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:54 am 

Yeah that song in particular always reminded me of the first Psychotic Waltz album (think "I of the Storm"), which is the highest of compliments for me. "Surrealistic nightmare" is a pretty good description, both lyrically and musically. Crazy track for sure.

macmoney wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:36 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
EDIT: Unrelated, but forgot to mention I just heard the new Blacksword album that came out officially today (though it's been on the NWOTHM Youtube channel for a few days), and it's an excellent follow-up to The Sword Accurst. Took 11 years to come out, and it's not quite as weird and technical as the debut, but the power and songwriting ability are definitely still there. Glad they got things back on track as I remember hearing, sometime circa 2012, that they had gone in the direction of "groove-era Overkill with violins," which is fucking terrible. Thrilled that shit didn't stick and they returned to their roots.

It's different but still good. Much more europower direction than USPM on this one, which is OK as it takes more from the aggressive end than the Christmas Chorus end (Manticora is the first comparison I thought of). I heard the "Groove with violins" thing too and yeah this isn't that. AFAIK Alex Avdeev (who used to post here under LunaticAsylum) was the big USPM fan on the first album, and he's not involved anymore. He did a couple of demo tracks with Cryptic Ones years ago, which I liked, but nothing more ever came of that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBq-UoF-Sto

Anyway for me the new Blacksword isn't as good as the debut, it's more polished and not as bizarre/interesting, and I'm always going to prefer USPM to even the best europower, but fuck it, the thing still bangs. I'll be throwing some rubles their way.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:49 am 

Finally decided to give Metal Church's Masterpeace a shot again yesterday and to my surprise it's actually rather good. The material sounds a bit heavier than the previous two Howe albums did and while David Wayne sounds slightly awkward here and there, I've managed to warm up to his vocals. Still, part of me wonders how this album would have ended up like had Mike Howe still been in the band at this point.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:30 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

It's different but still good. Much more europower direction than USPM on this one, which is OK as it takes more from the aggressive end than the Christmas Chorus end (Manticora is the first comparison I thought of). I heard the "Groove with violins" thing too and yeah this isn't that. AFAIK Alex Avdeev (who used to post here under LunaticAsylum) was the big USPM fan on the first album, and he's not involved anymore. He did a couple of demo tracks with Cryptic Ones years ago, which I liked, but nothing more ever came of that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBq-UoF-Sto

Anyway for me the new Blacksword isn't as good as the debut, it's more polished and not as bizarre/interesting, and I'm always going to prefer USPM to even the best europower, but fuck it, the thing still bangs. I'll be throwing some rubles their way.

Yeah, it's got more Europower influence than the first album, but it's definitely beefier and more complex than most Europower (including Manticora, I would say, although the comparison is fair). Probably not quite as cool and unique as the debut but still cool stuff for sure. I've heard those Cryptic Ones tracks before, I liked them as well, a shame it never spawned anything else. But yeah glad Blacksword got somewhat back on track here either way!

macmoney wrote:

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:38 am 

Hello.
I'm looking for heavy metal bands, either traditional or more recent, that sound similar to acts like Exciter, Hell, Helstar, Enforcer, Burning Witches and so on.

Thanks.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:28 am 

MDL wrote:
Hello.
I'm looking for heavy metal bands, either traditional or more recent, that sound similar to acts like Exciter, Hell, Helstar, Enforcer, Burning Witches and so on.

Thanks.

Some of those bands sound quite different from each other. For bands similar to Helstar, try Magnabolt, Latent Fury, Assalant and Sacral Rage.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:56 pm 

Man these Satan's Host albums where they were essentially playing extreme metal with Conklin wailing over-top are so badass.

https://moribundrecords.bandcamp.com/al ... e-of-satan

I can't believe I missed this one.

The later ones after this are cool too - been a bit since I spun those ones as well.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:03 am 

I would 1000% be more into extreme metal if the vocalists were more like Conklin and less like...well, everything they're currently doing.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:11 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I would 1000% be more into extreme metal if the vocalists were more like Conklin and less like...well, everything they're currently doing.

What does ''currently doing'' mean, anyway? Seems like a vague statement to make.

Is anyone here familiar with Weaponlord? They were a recent USPM band and although I've yet to give their only album a proper spin, what I've sampled RIFFED pretty fucking hard.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:11 am 

Anyone know where you can still find Fireaxe's albums? I kept thinking of them and it's been fucking ages since I heard them. Website's gone though.

Edit - I contacted the guy and he sent me all of it through Box. Very cool. I do remember this now that I'm listening again. Very much in the old weird US mode. Passionate and bizarre stuff.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:54 am 

colin040 wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
Is anyone here familiar with Weaponlord? They were a recent USPM band and although I've yet to give their only album a proper spin, what I've sampled RIFFED pretty fucking hard.

These cats were great. Saw them live a few times (once doing all Running Wild covers) and was a blast every time. Shame they broke up. Bassist is in Skelator now and one of the guitarists runs a recording studio in the Seattle area.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616 ... 624  Next