Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:00 am 

Sir, you've saved my life! I totally forgot their name even though it's a fantastic album. Thank you!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:25 pm 

I want a new Pharaoh album yesterday.

New Sacral Rage track sounds tight.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:19 am 

Pharaoh is basically the last band I am still waiting for to put out something new. Wipes the floor with pretty much every other new band for me anyway. I've played their last two albums regularly since they each came out.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:46 am 

The last album was really cool, I thought the prog influences were well-done and not overbearing. I need to check a couple of their pre-2008 albums, as well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:29 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
The last album was really cool, I thought the prog influences were well-done and not overbearing. I need to check a couple of their pre-2008 albums, as well.

You'd probably like Longest Night. That one is usually a favorite among USPM fans - I like it but not as much as the later ones.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:42 pm 

Yo, Longest Night fucking smokes.

PsychoGoatee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:40 am 

So I love Cauldron's new album, big fan of that band in general. Saw them live again the other day too, man they rule. Anyways, just read the review of New Gods posted on here, I don't quite agree with all of it, at least, I find it surpising to see this album called glam metal. I do love early Dokken etc, and for sure that's one influence for Cauldron, they even do a cool "Paris is Burning" cover live. But overall they do have some doom and gloom in their sound, so to me they seem more like heavy metal overall. And the guitarist often wears an Angel Witch shirt, they have a wide range of 80s influences.

But, that said, I do love glam as well, sleezy stuff that is good like Crashdiet I like. The review said "better than anything that the old glam guard will release this year.", which made me wonder, am I missing out on a bunch of decent glam metal bands? Or at least, heavy metal bands somewhere in the ballpark of Cauldron that may also have some of these influences? I also love Enforcer, who are very upbeat speed metal, bit different. Thanks!

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:35 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Hm, preview track for the new Sacral Rage album is out, "Necropia". Gotta say I'm kind of underwhelmed. It's fine, certainly not bad at all, but it's one of those annoying midpaced tracks that's just sort of...there. It has plenty good ideas but it lacks energy compared to the first album. I'd probably be a lot more positive about it if my expectations weren't sky-high going in, but I can't help but be a tad disappointed.

Still gonna buy the new album though.

I felt it was a bit meandering at first listen but now it's grown on me. The riffs are fantastic and the structure is pretty cool now that I've gotten a handle on it. I'm sure the whole album won't be midpaced.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:47 am 

PsychoGoatee wrote:
am I missing out on a bunch of decent glam metal bands?

You ought to check out Crazy Lixx. Not metal, but lots of Dokken.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:15 am 

If anyone remembers Saboter from Greece (a dark heavy metal band that was enthusiastically recommended to me by Sacral Rage's singer), I had posted some of their stuff sometime ago, they just released their new video for the upcoming album "Architects of Evil" (out in November). And it's pretty damn good! They now have on lead guitar the dude who sings and plays guitar for Rapture (rabid deathrash) and the drummer of Dephosphorus, Thou Art Lord and a gazillion more bands (he is a monster...).

Anyway, here it is:

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:55 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
If anyone remembers Saboter from Greece (a dark heavy metal band that was enthusiastically recommended to me by Sacral Rage's singer), I had posted some of their stuff sometime ago, they just released their new video for the upcoming album "Architects of Evil" (out in November). And it's pretty damn good! They now have on lead guitar the dude who sings and plays guitar for Rapture (rabid deathrash) and the drummer of Dephosphorus, Thou Art Lord and a gazillion more bands (he is a monster...).

Anyway, here it is:

Thanks for the heads up here, really liked this track!

How's everyone doing? I remember this thread being more active late 2000s'/early 2010's. I used to lurk here A LOT in my teens, many of the older guys here were crucial in helping my discovery and metal journey. Anyways, lots of good traditional metal to look forward to on the very near horizon.

Vultures Vengeance full EP in a couple days, Black Viper and Hitten on the 14th. Ironflame later this month too. Lots of really good stuff to bite down on.

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:59 pm 

Am I the last one to know about the new Cirith Ungol album? Lindstromm and Baker and Garven all working together again, the cover art for the single is FLAWLESS. I've got a really good feeling about this.

Edit: Black Viper you said?? FINALLY!!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:27 pm 

Marcohateshipsters wrote:
How's everyone doing? I remember this thread being more active late 2000s'/early 2010's. I used to lurk here A LOT in my teens, many of the older guys here were crucial in helping my discovery and metal journey. Anyways, lots of good traditional metal to look forward to on the very near horizon.

Vultures Vengeance full EP in a couple days, Black Viper and Hitten on the 14th. Ironflame later this month too. Lots of really good stuff to bite down on.

Good mate, thanks for asking.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hitten album, the previous once was dope.

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:51 am 

Excited for new Hitten. Great news!! New singer for them on this album.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:52 pm 

The new Vultures Vengeance was quite good, I had a fun time reviewing that one.

I have a friend with the preview copy of Hitten and from what I hear it's solid! The preview track would suggest as much. Looks like they're moving away from speed metal influence and more towards that early 80s rockin' sound. It's a shame since I far prefer the speed metal myself, but none-the-less it should be good.

Black Viper had me worried just looking at the track list given their style and the fact that there's multiple 7+ minute songs, but the lone teased song is one of those 7 minute tracks and it's a nice listen as well!

I'm just glad the 2nd half of this year is much stronger than whatever we got to start out with.

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:49 pm 

(Not in reply to any specific recommendation request...) I recently got Citron's 1979-2017 box set and am absolutely loving it. If you like old-school metal/rock with an Eastern European flavor, I highly recommend.

Here's one of their older albums:

And here's a song from their newest album:

Citron has a couple members from Kreyson which I'm also a big fan of and recommend. Kreyson is more on the power metal side of things than Citron. Both bands sing in Czech which I really enjoy.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:00 am 

Okay, yeah, that new Sacral Rage track is fantastic. I need the whole album.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:15 pm 

Oblarg wrote:

Their debut was one of the best albums of 2015, hands down. The teased track is superb as well, sounded a lot more Toxik/Watchtower/Realm to me than the previous Helstar worship we had. Reminded me of Deadly Blessing in a way - a cross between tech thrash and USPM.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:21 pm 

Oblarg wrote:

Their debut was one of the best albums of 2015, hands down. The teased track is superb as well, sounded a lot more Toxik/Watchtower/Realm to me than the previous Helstar worship we had. Reminded me of Deadly Blessing in a way - a cross between tech thrash and USPM.

Honestly, I didn't hear their debut as Helstar worship so much - but the new track certainly sounds more deliberate and progressive (which is really something, because the debut was already twisted and progressive as heck). I'm psyched.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 am 

Perhaps worship is too strong of a word, but it's clear to me Helstar were the main influence in Sacral Rage's debut. It sounds like Helstar are just a small piece of the puzzle now and the Toxik/Watchtower/Realm is coming out in full force instead.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:17 pm 

So, another entry in the seemingly unending stream of really good shit coming out this year:

The fusion of trad metal riffs/melodies and alt/goth rock atmosphere is something I wouldn't have thought I would enjoy but holy shit am I digging this.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:53 am 

That Idle Hands EP is really something. Trad metal riffs and a goth sensibility that is not overtly campy. Just great atmospheric metal with RIFFS. Love it!

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 am 

Idle Hands is one of my favorite releases so far this year! I didn't think I'd like it either, but it's been such a pleasant listen. Hitten was super solid but I far preferred their speed metal style on the last one to the hard n heavy Dokken-type of stuff they're doing now.

Black Viper is finally out too and available on their bandcamp for a listen if you can't find it. I'm loving it so far, but I need more listens and time to digest it. Speed metal ala Agent Steel, Ranger, Exciter, etc. Sounds very German influenced and at times flirts with that speedy USPM sound.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm 

My turn to thank for the heads up for the Black Viper! Loved the demo, loved the first track and by the first sound of it I'm gonna love the whole thing.

As for Sacral Rage and Necropia, I'm taking back my early statement that it's my least favorite track (that I still loved). It's now in my top 3. Songs rotate for favorite but the cool thing is I am listening to the whole thing constantly and the fact that I keep changing favorites is not only pleasant but it also confirms that it's an album that has a lot of replaying value and discovering new details. Certainly top 3 release of the year for me and we'll see.

I've also kinda settled to a mix of the first two albums by Visigoth that make an entire album's length :P I will be putting the second in my top list for sure, I've spun some songs from it in ridiculous numbers.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:17 am 

So, I was very much not impressed with Haunt's debut EP; it was boring and flat, a real case of "great aesthetics let down by inferior music." Frustrating.

I'm glad to report their debut full-length is much better. The songs are faster, the riffs are more intricate and melodic, and everything gels nicely. Solid piece of metal.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:51 pm 

Now this is some great stuff: The Devils from Brazil. Old school, yet timeless. And something so unusual for metal as stellar bass work!

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:52 am 

I actually liked the Lumnious Eyes EP from Haunt. Their newest album did absolutely nothing for me however. I think I might have to give it another shot since some of my friends also dug it.

I've been jamming to Black Viper a fuckton and the album is just really, really good. I think it's a definite in my top 10 this year. Shouldn't have expected anything less from that line-up.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 am 

Black Viper is getting better with every listen. Also, I think it gets really epic towards the end.

Started spinning the new Satan as well. 3/3.

Awaiting the new Saboter and a new video from Sacral Rage soon.

This is a FINE year.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 pm 

Haunt's EP had charm and was more enjoyable for me. The new album has better riffs but it's less differentiable from the rest of the herd now.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:09 pm 

I've only heard the first two songs from the new Satan album so far. I honestly didn't like Into the Mouth of Eternity at all, with the wonky main riff leaving me actively annoyed. Cruel Magic has another oddball riff, but it works much better.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:46 am 

New song released from the new Sacral Rage! Samsara (LCE):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl6ZJYggEHU

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 am 

Yeah, so, Sacral Rage are amazing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:10 pm 

Not totally sold on Sacral Rage yet, but they're definitely talented and starting to grow on me. Not a fan of that type of super clean production for this style, and it reminds me of a more polished up Sacred Oath or something while not being as fun as them - but the writing's good and I am definitely starting to see the appeal. That Samsara song was cool.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:37 pm 

I have tried Illusions In Infinite Void a couple of times and now this, but they have yet to really click with me. A different production might help, but I think my main hang-up is in the riffing. Their guitarists have a lot of ability, but it just hasn't had much of an effect on me. Perhaps they will at some point but until then the rest of it is not strong enough for me to enjoy it anyways.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:05 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
Haunt's EP had charm and was more enjoyable for me. The new album has better riffs but it's less differentiable from the rest of the herd now.

This is more or less where I stand with it.

RE: Sacral Rage - Do you guys enjoy Deadly Blessing, Realm, Helstar? Because Sacral Rage are essentially the newcoming of those bands - a blend of technical thrash, speed, and US power. I personally love it, these guys have been knocking it out of the park for me (HAIL HELLAS). The 2015 release was more or less my favorite album that year and this one will almost definitely make my top 10.

Ironflame should be up for purchase on the 29th so keep your eyes peeled for that. Pressing is only 300 LPs IIRC so it's probably going to go quickly just like the debut. Not interested in shelling out $60 from a scalper so I'll be certain to snipe that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:08 pm 

Nothing has beat Seasons of the Wolf this year for me yet.

Sacral Rage have chops. I guess I just prefer a meatier, thicker sound as opposed to the super polished, clean type they have. And I usually tend to gravitate towards different styles so it's a personal preference I suppose. But I get why people are enamored with it.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Nothing has beat Seasons of the Wolf this year for me yet.

Sacral Rage have chops. I guess I just prefer a meatier, thicker sound as opposed to the super polished, clean type they have. And I usually tend to gravitate towards different styles so it's a personal preference I suppose. But I get why people are enamored with it.

This one did absolutely nothing for me unfortunately. Top of my year is still Solstice - been waiting on that what feels like forever and I'm glad they delivered so well. Varathron (although not in this thread's mandate) also very highly impressed me. Traveler demo up there too. I'll have to see what the last few months bring before I make any hard judgments yet.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Yeah, so, Sacral Rage are amazing.

Yeah, the new track clicked with me way more than the first one did. Sounded more cohesive, and with more energy than before. Feeling more confident about the album now.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 pm 

I enjoyed that Seasons of the Wolf album. It was probably the first big release in the genre this year. Chevalier put out my favorite material so far this year though. Too bad it's only a 3 song EP. Satan is up there pretty close to it. Gonna second Varathron as well since Marco brought it up.

RE: Sacral Rage - Do you guys enjoy Deadly Blessing, Realm, Helstar? Because Sacral Rage are essentially the newcoming of those bands - a blend of technical thrash, speed, and US power. I personally love it, these guys have been knocking it out of the park for me (HAIL HELLAS). The 2015 release was more or less my favorite album that year and this one will almost definitely make my top 10.

Illusions was a pretty good album. I like the style, but the album itself never did much for me.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:17 am 

Did anyone else catch the silly 5-6 seconds where Sacral Rage count to our death in the new track? Takes away from what is otherwise 100% a killer song. Sounds like Greek Sesame street to me LOL

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 579, 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585 ... 624  Next