Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:24 am 

Alright, I'll try and be on topic too...!

Anyone heard Etruscgrave? Been listening to Tophet a lot recently and it's basically the answer to why Dark Quarterer lost their way a little after the second album. Same guitarist, similar sounding vocalist, and it reminds of that album a lot. Great stuff. I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned anywhere, but some of you guys here should dig them.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:22 am 

I just came upon this band on youtube, Area 55, and their style is about 100% Bruce Dickinson solo material, without being copy cats. But, on their homepage they describe themselves as "alternative metal". Sure there are a few chug tendencies, very few, but it's all metal. It makes me wonder if we have come so far that it's seen as "alternative" for some to play just plain heavy metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvWqH7t6L6Y

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:19 pm 

Opus wrote:
I just came upon this band on youtube, Area 55, and their style is about 100% Bruce Dickinson solo material, without being copy cats. But, on their homepage they describe themselves as "alternative metal". Sure there are a few chug tendencies, very few, but it's all metal. It makes me wonder if we have come so far that it's seen as "alternative" for some to play just plain heavy metal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvWqH7t6L6Y

Can’t find Area 55 on MA. Have they been deemed not metal enough?

priestofiron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 am 

Whoever recommended Wrathskeller here, THANK YOU! This is the USPM I have been searching years for!! Muscular riffing, garage sound, 80's based, high pitched capable vocalist and badass lyrics. Now, is there anything else out there similar to these guys? Lesser known bands that got lost over time?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:47 am 

priestofiron wrote:
Whoever recommended Wrathskeller here, THANK YOU! This is the USPM I have been searching years for!! Muscular riffing, garage sound, 80's based, high pitched capable vocalist and badass lyrics. Now, is there anything else out there similar to these guys? Lesser known bands that got lost over time?

CAULDRON BORN?
SLAUTER XSTROYES?
early GOTHIC KNIGHTS?
ENCHANTER?
MATTHIAS STEELE's first album?
SCREAMER - Target: Earth?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:31 pm 

Opus wrote:
I just came upon this band on youtube, Area 55. It makes me wonder if we have come so far that it's seen as "alternative" for some to play just plain heavy metal?

I heard two songs, did not like it much. nor did they sound "plain heavy metal" to me... they're in the band queue. for 3 weeks now :D

priestofiron wrote:

hard to say where your cutoff point for "lesser know bands" may be... have you heard Oliver Magnum? Damien Thorne? Thatcher? (yes, that's a band) plus ToB's recomms...

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:00 am 

aloof wrote:
. nor did they sound "plain heavy metal" to me...

What else would you call it?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:05 am 

Right, so this is the latest find from the Greek true obscure steel watchdogs: A lone American from LA of all places delivers this chaotic, lyrical, Lordian Guard-ish, done-in-the-bedroom(?) piece of STEEL with a very distinct vocal performance that really is something else. There is plenty you can say against it (drum machine, production, the length; 25 minute song?) but there is also something really special about it, lots of heart. There is a naivety and "ignorance of danger" as we say in Greece that results in something very unique and quite frankly very charming, if this is your sort of thing.

Definitely stands out and worth a listen:
Deceiver of the Blind - Heaven's Vengeance Boils in My Heart

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:40 pm 

Opus wrote:
aloof wrote:
. nor did they sound "plain heavy metal" to me...

What else would you call it?

well, "plain heavy metal" to me is accept and loudness and lizzy borden (except for MoD), and that's nowhere near it. even if you add "modern" or "melodic" in front, I still don't like them. one of the songs I heard was closer to 3 doors down... let's see if they make it in :)

priestofiron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:07 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
priestofiron wrote:

CAULDRON BORN?
SLAUTER XSTROYES?
early GOTHIC KNIGHTS?
ENCHANTER?
MATTHIAS STEELE's first album?
SCREAMER - Target: Earth?

I'm familiar with all these groups but I did revisit Gothic Knights, they were close in style, so thank you man! You always have good recommendations!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:26 pm 

aloof wrote:
well, "plain heavy metal" to me is accept and loudness and lizzy borden (except for MoD), and that's nowhere near it. even if you add "modern" or "melodic" in front, I still don't like them. one of the songs I heard was closer to 3 doors down... let's see if they make it in :)

I didn't ask if you liked them, I asked what you would call them.
If a band in 2020 sounded like Accept or Loudness (I presume you are referring to 80s Loudness?) I would call it 80s metal or trad metal, possibly retro heavy metal. If it sounded like Lizzy Borden I would call it USPM. This doesn't sound like any of that to me.
And "modern metal" doesn't age very well.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:52 pm 

priestofiron wrote:
I'm familiar with all these groups but I did revisit Gothic Knights, they were close in style, so thank you man! You always have good recommendations!

Thank you sir!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:04 pm 

Opus wrote:
aloof wrote:

I didn't ask if you liked them, I asked what you would call them.
If a band in 2020 sounded like Accept or Loudness (I presume you are referring to 80s Loudness?) I would call it 80s metal or trad metal, possibly retro heavy metal. If it sounded like Lizzy Borden I would call it USPM. This doesn't sound like any of that to me.
And "modern metal" doesn't age very well.

first of all, I did not intend to offend you. you posted a band, made a comment, I listened to the band, commented on your comment... :) that's what forums are for.

I would need to listen to the whole thing to tell you with some confidence "what I would call them", which I won't do because I did not enjoy the 2 songs I did hear and thus I won't waste an hour of my time on them... :/ "sorry".

if they get accepted on m-a, you can see an informed opinion on the matter on their page :)

also, give them the axe and love you to pieces and menace etc. no way are USPM, at least the way I perceive it. again, "sorry". rod of iron, me against the world, flesh-eater USPM? :/

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:13 pm 

priestofiron wrote:

I might have mentioned Wrathskeller here before, they're pretty cool. I'm not entirely sure who to compare them to - while they don't have a terribly unique sound for trad. heavy/blue collar USPM, I'm having trouble thinking of any specific bands they sound like. I think Oblivion is pretty similar to some Wrathskeller tracks, particularly the Quest for Power demo. Heathen's Rage is also not too far though it's not as dark/menacing. The Fight til the End demo comes to mind (though probably because that's the main thing of theirs I'm familiar with). Oh, and Warhead's 1984 demo comes to mind too, all just fun heavy/power metal that's a bit rough around the edges, maybe you haven't heard of them though.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

priestofiron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:08 pm 

I should have known it was you! You're the master of USPM!! Anyways, thanks for referring Warhead!!! Never heard of these guys,really liking it! And like most USPM, they just have one or two demos lol!

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:51 am 

Usually I'm not that into "happy sounding" power metal.

Stumbled across this by chance.
This stuff is TRULY NEXT LEVEL song writing, holy shit!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:11 am 

during the Keep it True livestream yesterday Glacier debuted a new song

its p cool

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:52 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
during the Keep it True livestream yesterday Glacier debuted a new song

its p cool

This is better than their 1985 EP. By far.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:13 am 

Yeah that is a pretty sweet Glacier track, cooler than what I remember their old stuff being like though admittedly it's been awhile since I've listened to them, might revisit based on this. Another thing to look forward to in almighty 2020!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:00 am 

Couple new Idle Hands tracks just came out - they were originally written for the Don't Waste your Time EP, but weren't recorded in time. They're every bit as good as everything else they've put out.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:15 am 

So I've got two separate CD copies, which are two different pressings, of Kamelot's The Black Halo and neither of them play in my computer's CD drive, as the computer doesn't even recognize it's in the disk drive. One of these CDs plays fine in my car CD player, the other I haven't tried in my car yet. Only one other CD in my collection doesn't play on my computer's CD drive, and it does play in my car.

Is this an example of an album that came with that copyright protection or whatever it was called?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:00 am 

Oblarg wrote:
Couple new Idle Hands tracks just came out - they were originally written for the Don't Waste your Time EP, but weren't recorded in time. They're every bit as good as everything else they've put out.

So fucking terrible, then? Thanks for the warning!

OOOOUUUGHHH!

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:50 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
So I've got two separate CD copies, which are two different pressings, of Kamelot's The Black Halo and neither of them play in my computer's CD drive, as the computer doesn't even recognize it's in the disk drive. One of these CDs plays fine in my car CD player, the other I haven't tried in my car yet. Only one other CD in my collection doesn't play on my computer's CD drive, and it does play in my car.

Is this an example of an album that came with that copyright protection or whatever it was called?

My CD reads 2005 Steamhammer SPV 69572 and it plays and rips fine in my windows 10 PC

bjskid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:29 am 

For fans of Angra, Avantasia, GloryHammer, Rhapsody and related.

Aquaria, Power Metal band formed in 2002. Two solid albums released and they are working on third album this year.

Luxaeterna, released in 2004.

Shambala, released in 2007.

Discography is also available on Bandcamp:
https://aquariaofficial.bandcamp.com/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:37 am 

Oh man I used to play their second album a lot when I was in high school. They had some good stuff. Thanks for the heads up about bandcamp.

edit: Their first album is new to me. This is some really euphoric, gloriously happy stuff for sure. Digging it...

Last edited by Empyreal on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:37 pm 

Is your day utter shit? Want to have something to cheer you up? Well, behold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fip5P4y4Yck&t=2m38s

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:18 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Is your day utter shit? Want to have something to cheer you up? Well, behold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fip5P4y4Yck&t=2m38s
Thanks man. This is Metal Boomer Decay in its most raw, unchecked form. JP and I must have watched that hilarious "Psychodrama" like three times when we were living together.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:37 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:

My CD reads 2005 Steamhammer SPV 69572 and it plays and rips fine in my windows 10 PC

One of mine seems to fit this listing on discogs, judging by the matrix code: https://www.discogs.com/Kamelot-The-Black-Halo/release/616013

On the front of the CD and the spine of the cover it says SPV 085-69572 CD.

My other one seems to fit this one:https://www.discogs.com/Kamelot-The-Black-Halo/release/12389119

On the front of the CD itself it says SPV 69572 (like yours) but on the spine of the cover it says SPV 085-69572. The discogs listing even makes note of this. Can you confirm whether or not yours has the 085 on the spine? Or compare your matrix number to the one on discogs? Matrix number: [Sonopress Arvato logo] 51357777/80000802 21

Thanks for replying!

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:10 pm 

One of mine seems to fit this listing on discogs, judging by the matrix code: https://www.discogs.com/Kamelot-The-Black-Halo/release/616013

On the front of the CD and the spine of the cover it says SPV 085-69572 CD.

My other one seems to fit this one:https://www.discogs.com/Kamelot-The-Black-Halo/release/12389119

On the front of the CD itself it says SPV 69572 (like yours) but on the spine of the cover it says SPV 085-69572. The discogs listing even makes note of this. Can you confirm whether or not yours has the 085 on the spine? Or compare your matrix number to the one on discogs? Matrix number: [Sonopress Arvato logo] 51357777/80000802 21

Thanks for replying!

I bought the CD for $0.99 at the local record store, used and in a generic case. So unfortunately I don't have the cover.

The matrix number on the back of the CD matches this [Sonopress Arvato logo] 51357777/80000802 21

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:08 am 

Any heavy/power metal bands that balance technicality and shredding and actual riffs like this song does? I've yet to hear any typical shred guitarist sound this restrained (at least for Yngwie) so I don't think I'm after neoclassical metal recs.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:35 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Any heavy/power metal bands that balance technicality and shredding and actual riffs like this song does? I've yet to hear any typical shred guitarist sound this restrained (at least for Yngwie) so I don't think I'm after neoclassical metal recs.

Spoiler: show

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:02 pm 

I made a playlist of "life affirming" songs, the cheesiness is pretty much off the charts but I love some of these tracks. Did I miss anything obvious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woW7Dm ... LGRUbC3rgQ
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:11 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I made a playlist of "life affirming" songs, the cheesiness is pretty much off the charts but I love some of these tracks. Did I miss anything obvious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woW7Dm ... LGRUbC3rgQ

Helloween's I Want Out
Thanks, Temple of Blood, will check these out.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:55 pm 

New demo with Claymorean, nice!!!!
Love the guitar tone

They also made a kick-ass Virgin Steele cover recently

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:38 am 

Orden Ogan is back at it. This new song was released a couple of days ago. I'm not too keen on this kind of "This happened, and then that happened" lyrical style, but they still sound like themselves; punchy riffs, catchy hook, loads of energy. Sign me in for the new record.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm 

Randomly stumbled upon a band named Anathorn - they epic heavy/speed metal from Slovakia...out of all countries!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:52 pm 

I do a weekly internet radio show, and this week I'm doing a bloc dedicated to Greek trad metal. In digging around, I've re-discovered some old gems and interesting artifacts, like Vavel's self-titled album from 1986. While the vocals aren't great as a whole, there are some really interesting ideas present.

How many metal bands were using keys like this in 1986?

There's also the promising Leviathan, who sadly released just two songs on a split called Metal Gear.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:10 am 

^ That Vavel album is interesting - definitely sounds like some early power metal.

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:53 am 

Dullahan wrote:
Orden Ogan is back at it. This new song was released a couple of days ago. I'm not too keen on this kind of "This happened, and then that happened" lyrical style, but they still sound like themselves; punchy riffs, catchy hook, loads of energy. Sign me in for the new record.

Ah, thanks for that. That's certainly an Orden Ogan song, all right. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. Should be fun. :-D :-D

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 pm 

I saw that this random prog/power band Dimhav have good reviews for their debut last year so I start listening...DANIEL HEIMAN ON VOCALS?!?!?!?!?! HE'S BACK?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 602, 603, 604, 605, 606, 607, 608 ... 624  Next