Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:31 pm 

Here's an English (!) band that played USPM (!!) in the early 90's (!!!)

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:36 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Does anyone know an album that sounds similar to Dragon Fodder's "March of the Mites"? I kinda like the sound there, and I'm doing it to try and get into power metal this year.

From what I heard it definitely sounded like power/thrash to me. The closest things I can think of to this riffing style are Destiny's End and MaelstroM. Here's a song from each to try out.

Destiny's End: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jJ3qY4 ... Q9MXnqhfh4

MaelstroM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3XZ5zWD8K8

If you like those I can recommend some more similar stuff.

colin040 wrote:

I see your English USPM from the early 90s, and raise you...more English USPM from the early 90s! ;o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmDQNCDvDug

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:58 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
I see your English USPM from the early 90s, and raise you...more English USPM from the early 90s! ;o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmDQNCDvDug

Cool vocals, but the track doesn't do much to me otherwise.

You're familiar with Dream Child? They're quite USPM-esque, too, even if they're from freakin' France. :p

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:26 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Does anyone know an album that sounds similar to Dragon Fodder's "March of the Mites"? I kinda like the sound there, and I'm doing it to try and get into power metal this year.

From what I heard it definitely sounded like power/thrash to me. The closest things I can think of to this riffing style are Destiny's End and MaelstroM. Here's a song from each to try out.

I gave both Destiny's End and MaelstroM a listen, and I liked them both. I especially loved the vocals on Destiny's End. :love: :np: :hail:

Would love to see more recommendations from the power/thrash genre.

Check out my reviews

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:51 am 

Τhe two Destiny's End albums are amazing, try them both.

If you liked the vocals and the style then go for the original: Helstar's A Distant Thunder (1988) and Nosferatu (1989), same singer, similar style, even better songs. Nosferatu imo is one of the best metal albums ever recorded. The riffwork is just godly.

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:48 pm 

Don't forget to get the Joe Floyd mix of DE's Transition album, far superior mixing. It used to be available for download here but I think the page has been removed?

http://unvanquishablefalcon.blogspot.co ... s-mix.html

Here's one of the tracks on youtube at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwoBhvTPDFk
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:41 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

I gave both Destiny's End and MaelstroM a listen, and I liked them both. I especially loved the vocals on Destiny's End. :love: :np: :hail:

Would love to see more recommendations from the power/thrash genre.

Some of my other top power/thrash recommendations:

Matthias Steele - Haunting Tales of A Warrior's Past
Manilla Road - The Deluge
Militia - Fiend of Misery
Slauter Xstroyes - Free the Beast
Shelton Chastain - The Edge of Sanity
Ballistic - Ballistic
Fatal Violence - Ashes Tell No Tales
Krystos - Walk Through the Inferno

And as Dungeon_Vic mentioned, those Helstar albums are in a similar vein and feature the same vocalist as Destiny's End, James Rivera.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:08 pm 

Add Diamond Head's Coffin Train alongside Glacier for old bands fucking killing it in 2020. Another polished but totally kickass, old-school album.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:39 am 

Word! Diamond Head's Coffin Train was a fucking brilliant release, certainly one of the best of its year (which was 2019 actually!) and Belly of the Beast was one of my most played tracks of the year as well. Special mention to Rasmus on vocals, after Sean Harris left, the band always felt like "half" but dammit this guy delivers, what a voice and such excellent vocal lines! And at some songs I swear, he really channels Chris Cornell!

Listened to Dragon Fodder a bit, nice stuff. The closest I thought of was Crescent Shield actually, which is funny because it's Dan De Lucie's band, the guitarist from Destiny's End. Amazing band, totally worth your time, both albums. And if you like that, then you can also look into New Eden and Onward.

But I think some nice, heavy US Power or power/thrash in general will also do. So, if you haven't come across them yet, try Liege Lord - Master Control, Vicious Rumors - Digital Dictator, Hittman - Hittman (also their 2020 comeback is very good), Forte - Stranger than Fiction, Lizzy Borden, Agent Steel (all eras), and I think Flotsam and Jetsam also fits the bill (and the first two are two of my favorite albums of music ever). Paradox and Artch from Europe should also hit that sweet spot.

Yesterday I spent some time listening to Velvet Viper's Respice Finem.
That is the band Jutta Weinhold of Zed Yago formed after they disbanded, released two great albums and then went away till 2018 and the album in question. Produced by Kai Hansen, so I had an extra reason to check it out. Now, Jutta is my favorite female vocalist and I consider her a LEGEND (she is 73 years old) so, I was really curious what she could do. Surprisingly, the album is very good. Old school heavy metal that feels very authentic. Unique vocals (she has lost a bit of her otherwordly power but still is most fucking impressive). I would definitely recommend it.

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:32 am 

The first song I heard was the title song and in the beginning I was like "damn, they found just a dead-ringer for Harris." Other times he's slightly raspier and more 'modern' but he really does a great job. And I love that the songs all just have the underpinning of that classic-style groovy riff.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:00 pm 

If anyone's looking for some super badass prog/power - then behold!

Lazarus Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:04 am 

Daniel Heiman from LOST HORIZON is back!! Warrior Path upcoming new album is out next month and first 2 songs revealed are simply awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dWWm0XLKv0&t=5s

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:10 am 

colin040 wrote:
*Wicked Rich album*

This is bloody marvellous! Absolutely spiffing! 10/10, if you consider it a demo, which I do.
The drummer is probably the least proficient drummer I have heard in metal, but he still manages to do a good job. Would have been great to hear these guys with a proper production, a bit more work on the arrangements and a more creative drummer. I love the singer though, how he just goes for it. That's metal!

colin040 wrote:
If anyone's looking for some super badass prog/power - then behold!
*Eternal Flight*

I was just about to post about this. Really good stuff! The first albums sounds a bit like Circle II Circle.

Quacksha
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:53 am 

colin040 wrote:
more English USPM from the early 90s!

The singer, when he goes into the raspy territory, sounds almost like Chris Boltendahl from the first three Grave Digger records. I hear a good portion of great David Wayne as well.

Last edited by Quacksha on Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:15 pm 

Opus wrote:
I was just about to post about this. Really good stuff! The first albums sounds a bit like Circle II Circle.

Not familiar with that band...always thought they were more symphonic based ala later Savatage. Feel free to link something to prove me wrong! :)

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:56 pm 

Here's proof:

Also, check out the new band Zak is in, Archon Angel.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:49 pm 

Lazarus Steel wrote:
Daniel Heiman from LOST HORIZON is back!! Warrior Path upcoming new album is out next month and first 2 songs revealed are simply awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dWWm0XLKv0&t=5s

Nice! For some reason his last return with Dimhav ended up being kinda forgettable to me. Maybe the material just wasn't that well written? I need to go back and listen again.

This definitely sounds more "traditional" anyway, in the LH sort of vein.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:32 am 

Opus wrote:
Here's proof:

What? This sounds nothing like Eternal Flight.

Opus wrote:
Also, check out the new band Zak is in, Archon Angel.

That song sounded sappy as hell. No thanks! :p

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:50 am 

I always try those later Zak Stevens things and he always sounds good, but the music never even touches the hem of Edge of Thorns' robes. Just sad really.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:08 pm 

Man, I was totally blown away by this EP from a band called Upper Echelon, released in 1984. Never reviewed, never even heard of the band before. But this thing has a grade-A shrieker, aggressive riffs, fairly complex songwriting in a couple of the tracks (especially for '84) - the full nine yards really. Probably very high second-tier stuff - I'd recommend any fans of heavy/USPM check it out!

Also, since the thread seems kinda dead, what has everyone else been listening to lately? Anything heavy/power/speed that's caught your attention recently?

PS. Looked back through the thread and noticed I missed Colin posting that Dream Child track, that's pretty rad stuff! It does sound pretty USPM-esque, albeit with cheesy keyboards and a super-polished production. Ultimately I'd say it feels closer to Queensryche than Fates Warning (as was suggested in the Similar Artists tab), but that's just one track, and it was still fairly enjoyable. Vocalist definitely rules! Will investigate further.

PPS. Dream Child doesn't sound much like Arch-era Fates Warning, at least, but since I'm less familiar with their later material I suppose that could be more similar. Just an afterthought.

macmoney wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:52 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
PS. Looked back through the thread and noticed I missed Colin posting that Dream Child track, that's pretty rad stuff! It does sound pretty USPM-esque, albeit with cheesy keyboards and a super-polished production. Ultimately I'd say it feels closer to Queensryche than Fates Warning (as was suggested in the Similar Artists tab), but that's just one track, and it was still fairly enjoyable. Vocalist definitely rules! Will investigate further.

PPS. Dream Child doesn't sound much like Arch-era Fates Warning, at least, but since I'm less familiar with their later material I suppose that could be more similar. Just an afterthought.

Nah, Dream Child don't sound like any era of Fates Warning. The second album is good, too, a bit more proggy and consistent from a stylistic point of view, but the highlights aren't quite as great as that of the debut. But yeah, overall the band had a beast of a vocalist.

And check out that Eternal Flight track I had linked earlier...it's basically what the second Dream Child album should have been. Riffy prog/power that's a bit more ''modernized'' but still really fucking good.

Oh and a fun fact: the Dream Child guitarist was the same guitarist of Rhapsody for many years. :lol:

EDIT: Otherwise I've been listening to a lot of Saber Tiger - especially the more recent albums. They're a cool band, but also a weird one: debut is still my favorite of them and the few albums that follow seem really inconsistent whereas the latter stuff sounds much more consistent and cohesive, even if they might sound a little too safe at times. Still, given the style of prog/power that's hardly a thing nowadays I probably shouldn't complain about the band playing it safe...I mean songs like these are pretty damn killer.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:00 am 

Check out speed metal project Merciless Law from Chile!
This guy is one of my top solo guitarists lately!
Here's his first demo song:

I am distance-producing his upcoming album.

Follow on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Merciless-Law-104435141479421

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:38 am 

in_the_sign_of_metal wrote:
Do you need band recommendations for that project?

Hey I guess I didn't see this post. I don't have very strong representation from France or Finland (power metal). If you know of any gems from those places, I'd appreciate it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:50 pm 

This Warrior Path with Heiman is a pretty fun album. Heiman doesn't shriek like he used to anymore, understandably. But something about these vocal lines really made me want to come back to this today. He's got a feel for hooks and a great tone I think. And man they got a real beefy, muscular guitar tone and some cool riffs.

edit - this has some pretty nifty stuff on it. Clever, heavy and propulsive stuff.

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:22 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
Hey I guess I didn't see this post. I don't have very strong representation from France or Finland (power metal). If you know of any gems from those places, I'd appreciate it.

For France, I'd recommend:

Fairyland - Of Wars in Osyrhia; Ultra fluffy sounding power metal featuring the voice of Elisa C. Martin (of Dark Moor fame). Very catchy stuff if you can stomach the keyboards.

As for Finland:

Excalion - High Time; "Enter a Life" is a good song, the rest of this record is pretty good too.

Force Majeure - Saints of Sulphur; I only really know one track from this record but it's Finnish and power metal, so there you go.

Thaurorod - Coast of Gold; The song "Power" off this one is high on my list of best choruses of all time. Cool album, too.

Some other pretty unknown bands from around the world you might not have yet would be:

Pathfinder (Poland), Seven Kingdoms (USA), Cellador (USA), Heimdall (Italy), Wisdom (Hungary), Keldian (Norway), Noble Beast (USA)
and Instanzia (Canada)

Good luck on that guide!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:33 pm 

I want to like that new Warrior Path more than I do so far, some tracks seem pretty good and some seem forgettable. Gonna keep listening though.

Thaurorod is one of my fav recent power metal albums along with both albums from Frozen Crown, can't wait for more from them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:42 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I want to like that new Warrior Path more than I do so far, some tracks seem pretty good and some seem forgettable. Gonna keep listening though.

Some of the tracks in the middle are downright ambitious; reminds me of Maiden doing their epic stylings. And the riffs are very good. I think they might be able to do even better next time but a lot of it has really grown on me.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:14 pm 

Can anyone recommend bands similar to Mercyful Fate, and by that I mean stuff that has quite twisting and sophisticated compositions like how MF does?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:25 pm 

Demon Bitch and their alter-ego band White Magician. They capture the swirling madness of Fate so well. Demon Bitch also have wild vocals, where as WM is a little more subdued in that category (but not the instrumentation, at all).

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:55 am 

Yeah, Demon Bitch is a great suggestion, I'll go ahead and add Sacred Oath's first album as it combines Mercyful Fate's sound with power/thrash riffing in a really cool and unique way. Also check out A Tortured Soul's Lucifer's Fate album, amazing stuff, the vocalist is really versatile and every track is compelling. The band are very much influenced by Mercyful Fate.

macmoney wrote:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:02 am 

Sorry for the double post, but I've finally decided at this point to release a preliminary version of my Comprehensive Guide to USPM. It's not 100% done, but almost everything I still need to add is pretty minor. There's also the possibility I just forgot something, so feedback from anyone is greatly appreciated. If you do find this helpful, or think for any reason it's not helpful or could be done in a better way, please let me know! Thanks in advance to anyone who provides any kind of feedback, and I hope this helps some folks get into USPM/get into more obscure bands in the genre! Without further adieu, I present:

JOPHELERX'S COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO USPM

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:08 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Yeah, Demon Bitch is a great suggestion, I'll go ahead and add Sacred Oath's first album as it combines Mercyful Fate's sound with power/thrash riffing in a really cool and unique way. Also check out A Tortured Soul's Lucifer's Fate album, amazing stuff, the vocalist is really versatile and every track is compelling. The band are very much influenced by Mercyful Fate.

Sacred Oath is great. I always find the Mercyful Fate sound one of those that is so idiosyncratic and unique that I don't want imitators. But Sacred Oath manage to do their own thing and were just one of those unique original acts themselves.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:50 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but I've finally decided at this point to release a preliminary version of my Comprehensive Guide to USPM. It's not 100% done, but almost everything I still need to add is pretty minor. There's also the possibility I just forgot something, so feedback from anyone is greatly appreciated. If you do find this helpful, or think for any reason it's not helpful or could be done in a better way, please let me know! Thanks in advance to anyone who provides any kind of feedback, and I hope this helps some folks get into USPM/get into more obscure bands in the genre! Without further adieu, I present:

Cool list...surprised Saber Tiger doesn't get mentioned. I definitely hear quite some USPM in their debut and since you've also mentioned bands outside of US/Canada, it would be a worthy addition, I think.

EDIT: Had you checked that Dream Child debut album by now? It's also quite USPM-ish at times.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:14 pm 

It's been awhile since I've heard Saber Tiger, though from what I've heard I don't remember a lot of USPM in their sound, I'll have to re-investigate. Thanks for mentioning, I will make sure to do so.

I've downloaded that Dream Child but haven't heard it in full yet. Got a lot of music on my plate at the moment. Will hear it before too long. It did sound pretty USPM-ish so I probably will add it.

macmoney wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:18 pm 

Saber Tiger quickly got more progressive over time, but the debut definitely sounds USPM-ish...and they were fucking good at it, too - I think these tracks will convince you enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBYkN4HHook (a bit like a muscular/heavier Vicious Rumors?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC4cq-hik3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_o2qaF5OPQ

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:55 pm 

That first track is pure heavy metal (aside from the tasty solo), kind of WASP-ish to my ears. The second and third tracks definitely have a lot of USPM in their sound though. And definitely makes me want to check them out again, the songwriting is definitely strong on that album if those tracks are any indication. I mainly think that the size of their discography intimidated me, and then I basically forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder!

macmoney wrote:

wildcard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:20 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:

I love this!!! Thank you!! There was one missing that came to mind and I wanted to reach out and see if had heard it and didn't think it made the grade so to speak. That would be Solar Eagle https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Solar_Eagle/13354

Would you love to hear your thoughts. I have the comp that Skol Records put out and think it's awesome and fits a lot of the bands on your list.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:23 am 

Solar Eagle is one I was on the fence about, mainly due to not really liking the vocals. The guitars are quite cool. Note when I say on the fence, I mean on the fence between whether to add them to "worthwhile" or "highly recommended." I had meant to evaluate them sooner but I'm listening to them again now and will make a decision soon.

Your post also reminded me that I'd somehow forgotten to include Apollo Ra, so I just added them to the list too.

EDIT: Added Solar Eagle to highly recommended! I think I had mostly been listening to the demo and the EP is quite a bit better to my ears.

macmoney wrote:

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:25 am 

Jophelerx wrote:

Not a bad effort but I strongly disagree with you about Warlord and Chastain, they're both far better than a lot of the bands that made your list. As for Elixir, they're British heavy metal to the bone, I don't hear any US influence in Son of Odin at all.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:53 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

Not a bad effort but I strongly disagree with you about Warlord and Chastain, they're both far better than a lot of the bands that made your list. As for Elixir, they're British heavy metal to the bone, I don't hear any US influence in Son of Odin at all.

That's fine, I'm only one person and everyone has their own tastes, I knew many would disagree with me. That's why a forum like this where everyone can express their own opinions and talk about their favorite albums and whatnot is such an important thing. I do have to say I'm a bit surprised in regards to Elixir though, I just listened to that album last week and I hear quite a lot of US influence in the sound - failsafeman's review title "Son of Omen" sums that up well, I think, just as much of a USPM sound to me as Omen or other similar bands like Attak or Twisted Tower Dire. But again, that's fine, ultimately at the end of the day everyone is going to have their own opinions. I really appreciate the feedback anyway!

Also, was listening to Tyrant's Too Late to Pray yesterday at work, and I realized if similar bands like Skullview, Sleepy Hollow, or Salem's Lot can be considered USPM, that album really can as well, especially on some of the more triumphant tracks like "The Nazarene" and "Into the Flames," so I've added that to my list as well. Their other albums are more trad metal (though I don't think I've actually heard King of Kings, not in a very long time at least), but Too Late to Pray seems at least half USPM to me.

EDIT: Actually, I do just want to clarify that I almost added Chastain to the "worth hearing" section, and I'm not 100% sure one or more of their albums might not make it there in the future upon future relistens, I just find them incredibly repetitive and it feels like listening to the same song over and over to me, the guitar and vocal performances in the band are great, I just find the songwriting fairly bland. In the case of Warlord, I just can't stand them at all. Never understood the appeal for them really, though I know they're beloved by many.

macmoney wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 607, 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613  Next