Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:40 am 

Could I get some recommendations for some good Heavy/Doom hybrids?

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:38 pm 

Finally got a good chance to listen.

As for Manowar, I certainly needed to give the debut a re-listen. It's excellent, better than I remember, but rather too rockin' in vibe for my current quest.

I hadn't considered looking towards doom-labelled bands, but The Gates of Slumber is definitely a keeper! And Enforcer and Sleepy Hollow, man that's some good stuff. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It's like a more muscular epic doom metal; I wish more of that stuff leaned toward this uspm/doom sound.

Salem's Lot sounds very promising, it's a real shame we just have that one demo!

I know Tyrant, yeah. Too Late to Pray is perfect, of course.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:25 pm 

Glad to hear you enjoyed those recs! Since I recently mentioned them in regards to similarities to Tyrant, might as well go ahead and check out Coven's Worship New Gods as well, it's not quite as muscular but I think it's got a similar enough vibe that it might be something you'd dig. Other than that, though, unfortunately there's not really a lot out there in that muscular, barbaric, doomy USPM sort of strain (that I've heard, at least.) Definitely a cool "microgenre," I remember being super hungry for it too several years ago when I first heard Legends of Valor.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:09 pm 

For heavy/doom hybrids that are crushing, Dantesco has been keeping my attention lately. Also the Smoulder debut is pretty damn great too. And last but not least, the new Crypt Sermon is goddamn amazing!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:36 am 

Pellinore wrote:

Sorcerer!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:12 am 

Pellinore wrote:

[/quote]

Is heavy doom epic doom? If so, there're many of them.
If the focus is on guitar solos, "positive" moods and manly attitude - to sum it up roughly, they are much less; it's sometimes just a little more or a little less in the balance that makes the difference.

Crypt sermon is a good example of a band that evolved from plain epic doom toward doom-ish heavy metal. I prefer the debut.

Right now, I'm thinking of these two that could be labelled "heavy doom hybrids" (if I understand the label correctly): Below and Evangelist

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:43 pm 

I meant a hybrid and combination of Heavy Metal and Doom. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:46 pm 

You might dig Nomad Son.

Victor Griffin's In Graved is good too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:05 pm 

Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings is a shitload of fun for this ominous, horror-themed epic power metal type of stuff... it's got an exciting raw quality to it that some bands have early on which is just cool. Great for a beginning to this Halloween season I think. I went back to some of their later material though and it's still pretty disposable. But at least BO is killer.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:43 pm 

Yeah Burnt Offerings and Horror Show are really the only Iced Earth albums worth a damn, in my opinion. Matt Barlow is a fantastic vocalist, but Jon Schaffer has the problem of being...Jon Schaffer. Too much repetition of the same simple riffs, it just sort of all blends together to me after a while. Admittedly I haven't heard much of their newest incarnation with Stu Block, but I can't imagine Schaffer's just suddenly started writing a ton of amazing riffs, so mweh. I really just stick to those two albums (and the first D&W) when it comes to Iced Earth/Schaffer.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:48 pm 

Yeah I gave up on them after Dystopia, which everyone seemed to love, did absolutely nothing for me. They were one of those bands who basically just had the one sound. Horror Show was also good - gonna play that again soon too. If Barlow could've been in a band like Morgana Lefay or something it could've been amazing.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:04 pm 

How can you guys not like Night of the Stormrider?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:54 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

I prefer the Days of Purgatory rerecordings. The original vocalist just doesn't fit at all.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:46 am 

I thought that album was bad from the time I got into metal and that never seemed to change. Just too dry for me. Plus it didn't have Barlow.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:00 am 

There's a couple of tracks on Dystopia that really blew me away: The opening track and Dark City. The rest of the album is middling but I would rank it as Stu Block's best performance with IE.

I would agree that Stormrider is dry. There's stretches of monotone riffing and I zone out while listening to it.

The s/t is my favorite though. It's a heavier Maiden with grotesque vocals. Gives it a very foreboding atmosphere. I'm glad Schaffer has been revisiting that material lately.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:29 am 

You're all nuts. Matt Barlow is overrated - give me Gene Adam or John Greely on vocals instead and yes, the first two Iced Earth albums is also where its at. Schaffer's guitar playing is certainly no favorite of mine, but I think that sort of thing works on the first two albums. Burnt Offerings has a cool opener and final track, but what happens in between is boring as shit - perhaps because it's rather slow and plodding compared to the first two records.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:22 am 

colin040 wrote:
You're all nuts. Matt Barlow is overrated - give me Gene Adam or John Greely on vocals instead and yes, the first two Iced Earth albums is also where its at. Schaffer's guitar playing is certainly no favorite of mine, but I think that sort of thing works on the first two albums. Burnt Offerings has a cool opener and final track, but what happens in between is boring as shit - perhaps because it's rather slow and plodding compared to the first two records.

Overrated based on?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:23 am 

colin040 wrote:

I think Burnt Offerings has the right combination of dark melody and thrash riffing to get me interested. It's over-long a bit but all those songs are killer. "Burning Oasis" and "Creator Failure" aren't totally fucking cool to you?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:02 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Overrated based on?

Based on my intellectual observational skills obviously.

In all seriousness though, I don't think he's that good. His range is quite something, yes, but I also get the idea he tries too hard to ''sell'' his vocal melodies if that makes any sense...Gene Adam and John Greely weren't really singers, but rather vocalists and while they both lack technical skill compared to Barlow, they're more fun to the ears for me - especially that Gene Adam with those freaky shrieks! :lol:

Empyreal wrote:
I think Burnt Offerings has the right combination of dark melody and thrash riffing to get me interested. It's over-long a bit but all those songs are killer. "Burning Oasis" and "Creator Failure" aren't totally fucking cool to you?

Well, no.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:21 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

It really never did anything for me since the first time I heard it, and I've heard it several times since. Once in a while it gets a good idea going but just buries it in dull, repetitive riffing and the vocalist really just doesn't seem to add much, the vocal lines pretty much just follow the (not great) riffs the whole time without adding a new melody, and nothing exciting really ever manages to emerge for me over the duration of the album. Just how it is for me. The versions with Barlow are a little better but the riffs/vocal lines just aren't very engaging to me as far as the songwriting itself, so I don't think adding a better vocalist really fixes the underlying problem. I'm aware most disagree with me on this but really, I'd probably take any of the Barlow albums over it.

The self-titled album is okay and definitely better than Night of the Stormrider but still leaves me feeling pretty underwhelmed. I wouldn't mind it if someone put it on but probably not something I'd actively listen to.

macmoney wrote:

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:02 am 

Night of the Stormrider rules. The Path I Choose, Angels Holocaust, the s/t, great album... But my favorite is Burnt Offerings. And I am surprised nobody mentioned Last December, perfect song.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:51 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
And I am surprised nobody mentioned Last December, perfect song.

It’s a fine song but I’m bummed it’s become the only token BO song that they will play live. Most likely because Schaffer hates the album for whtever reason and it’s the shortest one on there. Shame because stuff like Diary and Creator Failure are so much more interesting and ambitious. At least Alive in Athens has a few of those BO deep cuts.

I’ve been revisiting a lot of IE stuff and I still truly love their first 3 albums. Not really USPM-related in the slightest, more like epic, long thrash, especially Stormrider which is basically just symphonic Bay Area thrash. The debut has a more melodic, trad metal feel at times, and BO has a lot of interesting doom vibes in the riffs and even a dark, death metal atmosphere with some of the solos. Creator Failure and Burning Oasis remind me of an evil Solitude Aeternus at parts.

I’d just like to take the time to shout out one of the most underrated Iced Earth songs, fucking Mystical End. One of the most fun and catchiest things they’ve ever done, and the only song on Stormrider to sound a bit like USPM. Seems to have been totally forgotten because it’s one of the only songs to never be re-recorded or played live, along with Curse the Sky.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:10 pm 

S/t is the best! Solid USPM. Haven't cared for anything else I've heard from them, unfortunately, because I'm always down for good US power/thrash (like Destiny's End).
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:10 pm 

Not in reference to any specific request, but I recently got Classica's three albums and they're really enjoyable - particularly their second one. If you dig old-school prog/power metal, I recommend these Hungarians!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:53 pm 

Saint Deamon are cranking out some fairly badass Swedish power metal like you used to get in the '00s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1li7GFow3DE

Jan Thor Grefstad's still got it.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:32 pm 

Really digging this Idle Hands full length. Definitely a worthy heir to late-period In Solitude.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:29 pm 

I can't get over how good Thaurorod and Frozen Crown are. I want more modern Europower like these bands.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:30 pm 

Thaurorod is maddeningly inconsistent (that last album was a real banger, though), and Frozen Crown is maddeningly mediocre (aside from exactly one incredible song per album). Maybe if both bands were at their best at all times, I would agree, but they're not there yet.

Personally, I'm holding out for more Euro-power bands like Control the Storm, Dialith, and NorthTale.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:20 pm 

Thaurorod's last album was great... they're still such a new band and it seems like they're really hitting a stride. I definitely hope we get more of their stuff. "24601" was one of the best songs in this genre in ages.

Wasn't huge on Frozen Crown last time I tried though. Vocal melodies just seemed weak. Fun guitars though.

The new Excalion single "Trust" is amazing though. Marcus sounds better than on the last album and it's faster and heavier than usual for them. Can't wait for the new album Friday.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:38 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Control the Storm, Dialith, and NorthTale.

Control the Storm was pretty good, though probably a little too Disney-ish for my taste. Great singer though.

NorthTale was very retro. Reminds me of old Freedom Call, Mob Rules and Halloween.

Dialith is sounding pretty fucking good. Nice cranking heavy riffs and ominous vibe. Vocals aren't that distinct maybe but she's got chops.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:39 pm 

Yall need to give Frozen Crown another shot, I think they have awesome vocal melodies across both albums. I'll check those bands out.

edit: yeah this Control the Storm is indeed pretty "Disney" lol. Not sure about it. Dialith sounds good though, so does Northtale although a bit generic.

Excalion never made an impression on me but I'm listening to some tracks from the new album. The singer sounds like the Tarot dude a lot and that's a good thing for me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:07 am 

Their late '00s albums had a very pop-ish sheen to them, while the newer ones so far are emphasizing the heavy metal influence from bands like Tarot - it's a noticeable difference. I think the change in singer did it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:17 pm 

I actually made it for that Riot City album earlier this week. I think they really do rather suck. The music's not awful but way too "by-numbers" for anyone's good and the singer as everyone realised - including them, seemingly - is just crap for the most part.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:24 am 

Acrobat wrote:
I actually made it for that Riot City album earlier this week. I think they really do rather suck. The music's not awful but way too "by-numbers" for anyone's good and the singer as everyone realised - including them, seemingly - is just crap for the most part.

Nope. Album rules.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:03 am 

Acrobat is right; that album was weak as hell. I just have no time for that kind of shit anymore.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:40 am 

I never understand why anyone made a big deal about that album.

Another month, another new over-hyped metal band.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:31 pm 

Do you lot like Tanith? I just got their album today, seems cool.

Iced Earth are a weird grower for me, actually. I hated that stuff ten years ago and now I found I'm down with pretty much all of their 90's stuff. Stormrider is quite unique and has their most impressive moments on it, perhaps, the debut is surprisingly nuanced and I love the weird "bug guy" vocals, Burnt Offerings has a really cool atmosphere to it, as well. Something autumnal and dark about it and Barlow is a great vocalist. The Spawn one is a lot more stripped down but it's actually probably as good as BI for me. 'The Hunter' sounds like Paul Stanley fronting Metallica whilst they cover a Leatherwolf song. I like it.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:50 pm 

Well, I think the second track revealed from the BG orchestral album is a lot better than the first one, Hansi does some really vicious harsh vocals and there's just generally more hooks and a better flow to the song. Hoping this is more indicative of the album's quality than the first track, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough! Does feel kind of weird to call it "Blind Guardian," though, when really it sounds more like "Hansi's solo project." Maybe Frederik did some percussion, but like...do Marcus and Andre do anything on the album? Maybe Hansi let them do some backing vocals to make them feel included? Dunno.

Edit: I know Hansi and Andre collaborated on the songwriting so it's not exclusively a "Hansi solo project" but if he doesn't perform on it then it still feels weird.

macmoney wrote:

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:16 pm 

Anyone know Vikings from Germany? They released some nice stuff in the 90's, and came back last year for a new album... this doesn't sound too bad IMO. I don't know what to make of the vocalist.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:11 am 

All you 'eavy metal maniacs ought to know that the first three Atomkraft releases have been reissued by Displeased records. I'd wanted to hear the debut for over a decade now and it's very cool. Motorhead and Venom meets a more conservative melodic sense, combined with ace bass playing and obscure sounding production. It's sort of a missing link between melodic NWOBHM and the more extreme stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598, 599 ... 624  Next