Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:53 pm 

^ Black Majesty's albums don't sound too overproduced to me. Most of them are probably under produced if anything.

Kamelot's classics like Karma or Epica, or even Black Halo, don't sound crazily over-produced to me either.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:08 pm 

This is a weird request for me to answer, because I've never been able to pinpoint and "hear" things like triggered drums or ProTools wizardry. I have perfect pitch and I can't hear this shit.

I guess early Nocturnal Rites is what you're looking for...maybe?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm 

I think it's easy to know the general type of production he means, the ultra glossy type of sound many of those bands had back then. Freedom Call and Dragonforce, as well as others like Stratovarius, had that sound that could feasibly be too glossy for peoples' taste.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:05 pm 

The new Freternia album is great! Solid Swedish power metal with a bit of Blind Guardian thrown in. I haven't been so pleased with a power metal album in at least 15 years.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 pm 

Opus wrote:
The new Freternia album is great! Solid Swedish power metal with a bit of Blind Guardian thrown in. I haven't been so pleased with a power metal album in at least 15 years.

Thats high praise. So you think its there best release yet? I am a big fan of the other two.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:52 am 

Oh man, this new Lunar Shadow is really good. They seem to have really tightened up the sound and become more direct without losing the compositional complexity. Real epic, powerful guitars. New singer is an improvement, too - a more expressive voice it seems.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Oh man, this new Lunar Shadow is really good. They seem to have really tightened up the sound and become more direct without losing the compositional complexity. Real epic, powerful guitars. New singer is an improvement, too - a more expressive voice it seems.

You can say that again! Between this, Skelator's new one, and Amulet's The Inevitable War, just so much great stuff out these days.

Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:43 pm 

I'm looking for singers comparable to Matt Barlow from Iced Earth. The genre doesn't really matter that much. I'm just curious if there is anyone else out there like him.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:34 pm 

Getitback2u wrote:
I'm looking for singers comparable to Matt Barlow from Iced Earth. The genre doesn't really matter that much. I'm just curious if there is anyone else out there like him.

Have you checked out Cauldron or Pyramaze, or other bands he's sung for?

Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:41 pm 

Yes. I liked Cauldron. Not so much Pyramaze or Ashes of Ares unfortunately.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:40 pm 

Getitback2u wrote:
Yes. I liked Cauldron. Not so much Pyramaze or Ashes of Ares unfortunately.

That's pretty much where I am too.

I know I've heard similar singers somewhere before but I am drawing a blank now as to where.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:45 pm 

Dark at Dawn - Of Decay and Desire is a killer power metal album with similarly deep vocals - he's not a dead ringer for Barlow but I think fans of one could like the other. It's gloomy, gothic-tinged stuff like the better IE work with Barlow.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:01 pm 

Krystos's lead singer is probably about the closest I've come across to Matt Barlow - his delivery is a bit raspier/harsher but still fairly close. Start with 'Walk Through the Inferno.' Their style is also pretty close to Iced Earth's.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:29 pm 

I already know of Krystos. I personally don't here a resemblance, but maybe thats just me. Thanks for the reccomendation anyway.

Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:34 pm 

Dark at Dawn´s vocalist is pretty cool, though he doesn't sound much like Barlow and he doesn't do much more than bellowing, Just a small amount of clean singing and no mid or high notes. Still a pretty cool band though.Thanks for the recomendation.

Last edited by Getitback2u on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:02 pm 

With that said he does remind me of someone, I just can't figure out who.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:23 am 

The new Slough Feg album isn't doing much for me, sadly. "Being and Nothingness" is easily the star of the show, followed closely by the rerecording of "Headhunter" and the title track, yet everything else leaves me cold. The entire second half of the album just slides in one ear and out the other, with zero impact. It's not bad or unpleasant to listen to--it's just uninspiring. Sad times.

Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:09 pm 

I'm looking for bands that use galloping riffs frequently though not exclusively in their songs similarly to Iced Earth.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:44 pm 

Galloping riffs: see the above post - Slough Feg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhEb6NBZKBs

Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:05 pm 

Slough Feg is a great band but I should have specified that I"m looking for bands that are thrashier (and faster) than they are, more in line with the gallops on Iced Earth"s first three albums and their few thrashy post-Burnt Offerings songs. My bad.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:30 am 

Opus wrote:

Huh, never tried much of their stuff before (maybe a song or two years ago) but this is cool. Nice and heavy and yet fundamentally a PM album, no other influences. They're writing real riffs and songs rather than trying to be goofy or whatever like a lot of bands trying this style these days. I'm digging it.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:43 pm 

So many years ago I discovered the Pasadena Tyrant, and been enthralled by them ever since, always searching for a band that was close in sound, really to no avail. I'm looking for another band, perhaps lesser known that has a similar sound, especially during the song Beyond the Grave, particularly thE guitar riff/progression from 0:38 to 0:54. The only other band that I remember doing this was 80's Megadeth, but whatever this is, it fucking speaks to my soul man.

Beyond the Grave:

Babylon:

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 am 

Wrathblade's first album got uploaded to bandcamp:

http://wrathbladegr.bandcamp.com/album/ ... rlds-realm

Good, because a while back I couldn't seem to find a copy, ordered the CD from ebay, soon after got a message it was canceled since the guy couldn't find it! But now, sweet sweet epic heavy metal can be had by all.

Really good album, maybe better than its successor, maybe not.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:
So many years ago I discovered the Pasadena Tyrant, and been enthralled by them ever since, always searching for a band that was close in sound, really to no avail. I'm looking for another band, perhaps lesser known that has a similar sound, especially during the song Beyond the Grave, particularly thE guitar riff/progression from 0:38 to 0:54. The only other band that I remember doing this was 80's Megadeth, but whatever this is, it fucking speaks to my soul man.

Beyond the Grave:

Babylon:

Coven's Worship New Gods has some similar riffing to Tyrant, the closest to that song in particular is probably "Burial Ground." Unfortunately the vocals aren't terribly similar but still, might be something if you're not familiar with them. I'm guessing by now you've probably heard Skullview (hell, I might have recommended them to you before, I'm not sure), but the main riff of "Stone of a Thousand Spells" is quite similar to that one in "Beyond the Grave."

Oh, another one that you might not be familiar with is Ripper's And the Dead Shall Rise. I just realized the main riff of "Death Awaits You" sounds pretty similar to that one in "Beyond the Grave" as well, and the singer on that track and some others (they used a couple different singers on the album) sounds pretty similar to Glen May (minus any high shrieks sadly). The last 3 tracks on the album are pretty similar and have that same singer.

Hope one of those is good/new to you!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:18 am 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Wrathblade's first album got uploaded to bandcamp:

http://wrathbladegr.bandcamp.com/album/ ... rlds-realm

Good, because a while back I couldn't seem to find a copy, ordered the CD from ebay, soon after got a message it was canceled since the guy couldn't find it! But now, sweet sweet epic heavy metal can be had by all.

Really good album, maybe better than its successor, maybe not.

Love Wrathblade, one of the very best epic metal bands around. I would say I still prefer the first album of theirs by just a little.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:23 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
miskatonic79 wrote:

Beyond the Grave:

Babylon:

Coven's Worship New Gods has some similar riffing to Tyrant, the closest to that song in particular is probably "Burial Ground." Unfortunately the vocals aren't terribly similar but still, might be something if you're not familiar with them. I'm guessing by now you've probably heard Skullview (hell, I might have recommended them to you before, I'm not sure), but the main riff of "Stone of a Thousand Spells" is quite similar to that one in "Beyond the Grave."

Oh, another one that you might not be familiar with is Ripper's And the Dead Shall Rise. I just realized the main riff of "Death Awaits You" sounds pretty similar to that one in "Beyond the Grave" as well, and the singer on that track and some others (they used a couple different singers on the album) sounds pretty similar to Glen May (minus any high shrieks sadly). The last 3 tracks on the album are pretty similar and have that same singer.

Hope one of those is good/new to you!

Yeah you DID recommend me the first Skullview album, fucking BEAST and I would say top five discoveries for me of the last five years. It's the closest I've come to Conan the Barbarian in metal form and the damn heaviest. Well that and Manilla Road -Voyager. I do have both Ripper and Coven 13, but never really fully got around to them until now. You're right, very similar 80's reverb and atmosphere. This is VERY close to what I'm looking for. I may never find anything that beats Omen, Griffin, Liege Lord, Tyrant, ect but this sates the hunger so to speak. Thanks Jophelerx!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:16 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Yeah you DID recommend me the first Skullview album, fucking BEAST and I would say top five discoveries for me of the last five years. It's the closest I've come to Conan the Barbarian in metal form and the damn heaviest.

Try Cauldron Born

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 pm 

Try Dark Age if you haven't already.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:56 pm 

Have Dark Age on my ipod now and very familiar with Cauldron Born, but thanks anyways guys!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:37 pm 

I've never gotten Skelator, this new one aint doing much for me either. Amulet's decent, Idle Hands is a lot of fun, Mystik seems good, new Slough Feg has some good tracks.

Need to listen to the new Tanith more. Arch/Matheos, Evergrey, and Frozen Crown are all really good. What else is good from this year in heavy or power? Gonna check that Freternia out.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:05 pm 

Have you lot heard the Vultures Vengeance album yet? Italians do an obscure take on The Warning meets more epic metal. Fuckin' rules.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:24 pm 

I'll need to give the VV another spin. The Knightlore isn't hitting me like Where the Time Dwelt In did.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 am 

I'm playing Mirror - Pyramid of Terror right now. This is some serious air-guitar fuel. Don't know how I never heard of this before - I guess the name made them sound like some kind of Sabbath worshiping doom band or something. This is some great stuff. Real 70s style groove - reminds me of Seasons of the Wolf actually.

Amulet seemed alright - not exciting me much yet. Skelator I'd never heard before, and they write some pretty generic choruses. "Cast Iron" was a kick ass song though. Vultures Vengeance has some killer guitars, real grandiose and dense, but the vocals aren't doing it for me as much - it's a shame these epic bands can never match the kind of hooky vocal melodies John Arch used to write. This reminds me of the B-level bands from back in the 80s, or maybe a slightly sloppier version of Oracle. Not bad at all though.

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:32 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Have you lot heard the Vultures Vengeance album yet? Italians do an obscure take on The Warning meets more epic metal. Fuckin' rules.

It really does. To me it's one of those metal albums that just does many things right. Shame the vocals are a bit low in the mix though.

SOMEONE SCREEAAAAMS IN THE NIIIIIGHT!

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 am 

Mirror is definitely good stuff. I hadn't heard of them up until this new album dropped. The guitar work and vocals are both clear standouts.

Vultures Vengeance has a lot going for it. However, they really missed the mark with the vocal production. The songwriting is a little same-y but totally solid. It's fun swords & sorcery heavy metal with slightly less sorcery than the EP.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 am 

kytokinesis wrote:
Mirror is definitely good stuff. I hadn't heard of them up until this new album dropped. The guitar work and vocals are both clear standouts.

Yeah I checked out their MA page and apparently these guys have all done time in other bands, which makes sense - they seemed too good to just be out-of-the-blue. Still, though. Just so damn good. It's slightly more of a 70s sound than perhaps some bands touted here, but not in any way that dilutes the metal fist-pumping.

Between this and Arrayan Path, Cyprus has got some killer shit going on. Gonna check out some of the affiliated bands like this one called Armageddon Rev 16:6...

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 am 

Getitback2u wrote:

Manticora?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_QYRJ5ASCc
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:08 pm 

Not a bad band, but their singer doesn't sound much like Barlow to my ears. Thanks for the rec.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:43 pm 

Trying Traveler's debut again and I quite like the guitar sound and the vocals, which are a bit in the rough Tim Aymar type of school. Some parts sound pretty damn rocking and good. My issue is the writing - when they lean into an instrumental/lead section with the galloping, I just feel like I've heard it before a thousand times, in a more damning way than a lot of bands. They're super tight but I just find myself bored by those parts - not much creativity at all. I feel like they might get a lot better on subsequent albums.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:41 am 

I'm finding Dream Troll's new album to be stellar. Wasn't a fan of the debut, but the songwriting really improved here. It sounds heavily hard rock inspired and a little more mature. They channel their original bombast more tastefully to construct big hooks. And boy are there hooks here. Hooks for days.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597 ... 624  Next