Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:08 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Ex-Steel Prophet vocalist Rick Mythiasin doesn't seem to be doing too well. He posted this a few hours ago;

Quote:
This is the most boring fkn town ever, Denver is where it's at here it's a fkn trap, never thought I'd say this but at least in Roswell I was surrounded by family, even though they can hardly stand me, except for my beloved Aunt Mannie Porter whom I adore & miss very much, she is an amazing woman who is really the only one of my mom's siblings who can stomach me let alone listen to the stories of choas & madness that is my crazy fkn life, but me and my sisters & brother were all adopted, and I think they're relieved about that, I sure am, because I know I am a few fries short of a happy meal, and honestly if it all ends suddenly & violently, I've made my mark by releasing 14 albums, almost getting the slot in Pantera before Phil Anselmo, was in Masters Of Metal aka Agent Steel for a year, on Redemptions debut album, and yeah I fucked that one off too, but I had my reasons, my entire life has always been intense, painful, yet exciting until now, which finds me here in this desolate place of haters who have nothing better to do but fuck with my head, yet what these psychic douchebags fail to realise is that I'm on to them just as much as they're on to me, but I play along and pretend to be oblivious to there unwanted relentless assaults on my being, conscious and uncontiouslly, my life is just about over, I am just about out of fight or hope, unless by some blessing from my higher power & ansestry they send a true Magi/master who can lift me out of this sinking pit dispair & emptiness, but I seriously doubt that any guardian Angel will pity me at the last moment guid me to the light & my true destiny, because this sure isn't it, my talent going to waste as wither away in extreme drug addicted humiliation, not even giving a fuck anymore as 51 years is breaking me down and longing for the grave & succuming to the dark Archon Lords who have a tight grip on my soul, this is my final cry for help as I'm slowly dying if you are reading this HELP me Godamit!

Poor guy. Sounds like he needs rehab, a good support system, and a better relationship with God.

I used to tell everyone on music message boards he was the best around when I first heard him in 1997 or so. He really is one of the best metal vocalists. I really hope everything works out for him. In situations like this, I'm not really sure what I could do to help.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:12 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Virgin Sails just didn't have enough really strong, hooky moments. That kind of riff-salad technical stuff doesn't do much for me now.

Virgin Sails is about as technical as something like Cauldron Born or Slauter Xstroyes (at most) to my ears, certainly nowhere near the level of something like Psychotic Waltz or Brothers Grimm or 90s Holocaust (not that I'm trying to imply I know your opinion on any of those latter bands if you've even heard all of them)

You got me curious so I'm listening to it right now. I would not rank those the way you did, in terms of technicality.

Here is my take (purely in terms of most technical to least technical, not quality or songwriting or anything else):

Cauldron Born - BotC
Psychotic Waltz
Cauldron Born - ARSF & S&SHM
Slauter Xstroyes
90s Holocaust
Virgin Sails

BTW, I can't stand "power metal" that doesn't have real riffs and relies just on generic chord progressions with the occasional rip off Iron Maiden harmony inserted. That has to be one of my biggest metal pet peeves.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:19 pm 

90s Holocaust gets TECHNICAL? I know they get progressive, but TECHNICAL? I feel like we've hit a divergence in the way that Jophelerex is applying the term. I've never heard anything by Holocaust that I would call technical. If that's something they did, I am very very interested in specific recommendations. I thought they were like 95% mood and atmosphere building on those 90s albums.

Rick needs some help, and it sounds like he's not in the right place to get it. That would be a pretty sad post no matter who it was from. He's literally begging for help.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:28 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
BTW, I can't stand "power metal" that doesn't have real riffs and relies just on generic chord progressions with the occasional rip off Iron Maiden harmony inserted. That has to be one of my biggest metal pet peeves.

I don't mind that if the songs are good. But that wasn't what I meant if you're referring to my comments. I like clean, driving heavy metal riffs with good vocal hooks.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:46 pm 

Dude check out "Infinite Impossibilities" if you think nothing on Virgin Sails is hooky.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:52 pm 

Yeah I mean there's nothing too wrong with that, pretty good song and all, but it just isn't something that really sticks with me or grabs me per se.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
90s Holocaust gets TECHNICAL? I know they get progressive, but TECHNICAL? I feel like we've hit a divergence in the way that Jophelerex is applying the term. I've never heard anything by Holocaust that I would call technical. If that's something they did, I am very very interested in specific recommendations. I thought they were like 95% mood and atmosphere building on those 90s albums.

Rick needs some help, and it sounds like he's not in the right place to get it. That would be a pretty sad post no matter who it was from. He's literally begging for help.

Not especially much, now that I think about it. I believe The Sound of Souls gets a little bit technical but I guess I was conflating progressive and technical there, my bad. I'm not a guitarist to any extent so the line blurs in my head somewhat and I tend to listen to Holocaust when I'm in a similar mood for technical stuff like Psychotic Waltz so that's a large part of where that came from. To be fair, Empyreal also used the term "riff salad" which is not necessarily the same thing as technical, but I'll try to keep from mixing those two up in the future. The rest of that list is all technical to some degree, although Satan's Host certainly the least so. They are highly riff oriented, but as I just said I'm obviously aware those are two different things. Apologies for the mistake.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:07 pm 

No big deal at all, I could care less about terminology or mislabeling. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some kind of Holocaust album where Mortimer lost his god damned mind and just tried to kill his audience with riffs. That sounded fun. I like riff salad when the riffs are fucking killer.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:11 pm 

The Sound of Souls comes closest, think Dimension Hatross era Voivod. You might dig that one if you haven't heard it. Very riff-oriented with semi-harsh vocals. Primal is also sort of in that vein in that it's very thrashy and has semi-harsh vocals, but most of the ideas are a lot simpler.

macmoney wrote:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:21 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I like clean, driving heavy metal riffs with good vocal hooks.

What does that mean to you? I would argue that post-BotC Cauldron Born clearly has that.

Does that include bands like Onward?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:55 pm 

A few examples just from what I've been playing recently:

Lizzy Borden - Visual Lies
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Bruce Dickinson - Accident of Birth/Chemical Wedding

And my usual standbys like Tad Morose/Trail of Murder, Savatage, Riot's Thundersteel and Jag Panzer's Ample Destruction. Of course I like many other styles as I'm sure many of us do. But if I had to pick one 'thing' I can always get into, it'd be the general description I said above.

Haven't gotten around to hearing Onward. Will have to change that sometime.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:23 pm 

This was Onward's introduction to the Greek audience, for some reason everyone got ahold of an mp3 of this song. Or maybe it was included in a magazine compilation. Very cool stuff in any case. Especially for the time period it was released, very few people played this kind of music and even fewer got to release their work on a decent label. It was a weird revival of Helstar-type of metal, which made some people (alas, too few) very happy indeed.

Destiny's End has always been my absolute favorite in that department but Onward and New Eden were very welcome too. Michael Grant sings, who later played in Crescent Shield with Destiny's End's Dan DeLucie, so it must have been a very small circle indeed!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:39 pm 

Destiny's End debut rules so fucking hard. The next one is fun too but I think it's going to take more spins.

Remember me asking around about that Attila from the Netherlands? And their EP Violent Streets? I would recommend it, you guys. It's getting fairly regular spins around my way. I've got to say they surprised me. The music is a lot more ambitious than I expected! I will also say it tends to get better as it goes, especially into the second half. You know me, the vocalist isn't a star or anything. But he has some charisma and an odd character to his tone. The actual riffing gets a bit off-kilter in a way that reminds me of loose and lethal acts like Brocas Helm. Overall just a major surprise for me, this record.

Check out a tune, for fucks sakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Reh5CUtgw

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:56 pm 

I checked out that EP a few days ago, actually. I was completely on board with the riffage but the vocalist basically just ruined it for me. He doesn't seem quite as bad this time around, maybe I'll warm up to him enough that I can tolerate him. Those riffs do slay, for sure.

macmoney wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:01 pm 

That's fair and I'm not a bit surprised. He'll probably turn quite a few people away. He has a bit of a...squawk? to his sound.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:07 pm 

Today was a huge piece of garbage but I'm home with my baby, my bourbon, my bowl, and most importantly Dark Age is blaring on the stereo.

What's your all's go to "I've had a shit day and this album always cheers me up" record? Dark Age just does it for me. They embody everything I crave musically on this EP.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:17 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
What's your all's go to "I've had a shit day and this album always cheers me up" record?

For me, Screamer - "Target: Earth".

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:38 pm 

Manilla Road's Crystal Logic is probably the one that I go to most often in that situation. Guaranteed to have a huge grin on my face by the time I'm singing along to "Dreams of Eschaton."

macmoney wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:20 am 

Yeah, Crystal Logic takes me to that place as well. It doesn't leave me feeling completely drained the same way Open the Gates does.

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
What's your all's go to "I've had a shit day and this album always cheers me up" record?

For me, Screamer - "Target: Earth".

Still need to hear these guys. I've been confusing them with Assault my whole life, turns out.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:12 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Still need to hear these guys. I've been confusing them with Assault my whole life, turns out.

I've never heard of Assault. Check out the song "Visionary". If that doesn't do it for you, nothing will.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 pm 

Yeah Screamer are legit. Probably my favorite Queensryche worship band.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:51 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah Screamer are legit. Probably my favorite Queensryche worship band.

I don't see them that way. I think their guitar style is very unique, and drumming as well.

I think EN FORCE was more of a Queensryche clone band: https://tribunalrecords.bandcamp.com/al ... final-sign

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 pm 

Walls of Jericho never fails to cheer me up. So fucking fast and energetic. Heavy Metal Is the Law!

Target:Earth is a super fun album as well. Never occurred to me to compare them to Queensryche. I would have compared them to early Fates Warning I guess.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:30 pm 

I got turned off of Screamer when I first heard them years ago because their singer is definitely the most egregious and wonky Tate clone I've heard out of the glut of 80s/90s Ryche wake bands. Was a difficult listen, but I'd guess it would be more up my alley by now. Listening to En Force, their singer sounds almost exactly how I remember the Screamer dude, and it doesn't bother me anymore.

I guess I've come to appreciate Queensyrche a lot more in general, after long preferring Crimson Glory and FW.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 am 

I still can't fathom how people can call Bill Carter a Tate clone. Like him or not, he isn't cloying like Tate .... not at all. We're not talking about Chris Salinas (Power of Omens) here.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:00 pm 

I've said it again but Crows' The Dying Race is a really good example of melodic proggy power metal. Quite Queensryche inspired in parts, I suppose, although I prefer this record over any Queensryche record. Leszek "Leo" Szpigiel blows away Geoff Tate, too.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:27 pm 

WOW, HOLY SHIT!!! I've gone deep into the USPM well, but finally gave Solar Angel - Charter to Nowhere another listen. What the fuck, this one hit me hard on the second listen, years later! Does anyone know of any other bands who have bad ass riffs like on Chains of Gold at 1:09? THIS, THIS is what I love!!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:16 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Poor guy. Sounds like he needs rehab, a good support system, and a better relationship with God.

I used to tell everyone on music message boards he was the best around when I first heard him in 1997 or so. He really is one of the best metal vocalists. I really hope everything works out for him. In situations like this, I'm not really sure what I could do to help.

Temple Of Blood, maybe you can reach out and offer your support, that would be enough.

No kidding about his vocal prowess. This is the most convincing interpretation I've heard of Dreamer Deceiver yet

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 am 

Although to be fair, Fates Warning's SAINTS IN HELL is also right on the money as far as JP interpretations go.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:41 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I've said it again but Crows' The Dying Race is a really good example of melodic proggy power metal. Quite Queensryche inspired in parts, I suppose, although I prefer this record over any Queensryche record. Leszek "Leo" Szpigiel blows away Geoff Tate, too.

That's a really good album; I like it a lot and the Native American theme is really well done. It seems to get missed out a lot when people discuss Queensryche-inspired stuff (probably because they're German... but, hey, let's not forget Helloween's QR boner).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:20 am 

dunno if this has been posted in here but John_Sunlight posted it in another thread. God damn, this is some fantastic rough sounding amateur kinda simplistic but awesome epic heavy metal.

https://legendry.bandcamp.com/album/dungeon-crawler

Quote:
From a metal age undreamed of, comes forth LEGENDRY: an epic heavy metal band from Pittsburgh, PA that carries on in the tradition of Manilla Road, Omen, and Cirith Ungol, with a nod to the 70s prog sounds of Wishbone Ash, Yes, and Jethro Tull. All lyrical topics involve the epic works of Robert E. Howard, original tales of fantasy, and medieval history. Hear now the days of high adventure!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:38 am 

So, I've been spinning Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth lately and while I could have done without those huge amount of interludes certain numbers really stand out so far. Seems like it's an album with quite some emotional depth to it, yet it doesn't forget to rock out at times.

Torn = :drool:
When Sorrow Sang = :headbang:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:41 pm 

Yeah, "When Sorrow Sang" is probably my favorite song on there, the riffing is excellent and Hansi gives a great vocal performance. I CAN'T FORGET HER, HER FACE WILL NOT LEAVE, FROM THE DEPTHS OF MY SOUL I LONG FOR HER, AAAAAH AAAAAH AAAAAAHHHHHH!

Also, it's "Thorn," not "Torn." xP

macmoney wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 pm 

My bad. But yeah, ''When Sorrow Sang'' possesses so much energy it's crazy.

WHAT AM I NOW
BEYOND THE DAWN
HOPE'S TURNED TO DUST
AT AAAAAAAAAAAAAALL!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:53 pm 

Incidentally, while it seems neither When Sorrow Sang nor Thorn were played much, there happen to be one live version of each on YouTube, both of them sound pretty good! Of course, Blind Guardian have (almost) always sounded great live, one of the few bands that often has better live versions of tracks than studio versions, I think. Hansi doesn't get all the high notes on When Sorrow Sang but he gets quite a few. Thorn is pretty much perfect.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:57 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
dunno if this has been posted in here but John_Sunlight posted it in another thread. God damn, this is some fantastic rough sounding amateur kinda simplistic but awesome epic heavy metal.

https://legendry.bandcamp.com/album/dungeon-crawler

Quote:
From a metal age undreamed of, comes forth LEGENDRY: an epic heavy metal band from Pittsburgh, PA that carries on in the tradition of Manilla Road, Omen, and Cirith Ungol, with a nod to the 70s prog sounds of Wishbone Ash, Yes, and Jethro Tull. All lyrical topics involve the epic works of Robert E. Howard, original tales of fantasy, and medieval history. Hear now the days of high adventure!

Yeah it's fucking fantastic. Super retro, but with great, inventive, epic songs. It's just a joy to hear - the crunchy riffs, the loopy 70s prog solos, everything.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:01 am 

I saw them on FB recently and put a star next to their name for sure. Those album covers speak to me heavy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:07 am 

I can't get enough. The way they just go into near-jam sessions at the end of some of the longer tunes is glorious - though that makes it sound less focused than it is; it isn't like some kind of wandering mess or something. The shorter songs remind me a lot of mid-80s Manilla Road with the guitar tone and riff-hammer style.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:04 pm 

Yeah, obviously the Manilla Road tag on the Similar Artist tab didn't escape my notice. I love that they decided to cover Lords of the Crimson Alliance. Hoping to check them out soon, I might just go ahead and place an order through bandcamp next week when I get paid.

The cover art for Dungeon Crawler is so great, even more so because I'm just getting into the Dark Souls video game series and it looks EXACTLY like a scene from that game.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:40 pm 

Not into streaming the album on Bandcamp to sample it?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 566, 567, 568, 569, 570, 571, 572 ... 624  Next