Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:09 am 

My tattoo artist played in Old Wolf for awhile! I've always wanted to hear them for that reason alone.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:55 pm 

More new Visigoth! This one is a straight up banger that will no doubt be a blast to see them play live!

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:48 pm 

Finally... NEW SONG from CELTIC KINGS!!!!

I can finally present a song from the "legendary album" RRs fans have been asking about for years... And I've never been so nervous about uploading a song because I've also never put so much fucking passion into an album before.

This song doesn't even represent the majestic epicness of the album as a whole, this song functions more as a short fast and in your face speed metal attack more than most other songs on the album.

All I can say is that I am 100% satisfied with the song writing on this album... But I can't really say the same about the production, but believe me, I have whole-heartedly TRIED and TRIED and I just cannot get a better result than this. If it's ok for you, than I'm happy with that. If you don't like it, tell me what you dont like and maybe I can learn something from that.

Now it's time to move on!

Release date will be announced later.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 pm 

A minor quibble for me would be that it's slightly plastic and clinical sounding, almost like the second Destiny's End album (but not as bad). I could see giving it a thicker/rougher/chunkier and slightly warmer production more like DE's debut (or the wonderful Joe Floyd mix of the second album). It's not bad though, I wouldn't have thought anything of it if you weren't asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B059g3Igtkw

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzcvUiERazY

Dunno if that's right for the style/aesthetic you're going for, though, just a personal preference. Some great riffs and leads in your track!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 pm 

Looking for heavy/power/trad metal in the vein of Visigoth, Grand Magus and Eternal Champion. Particularly with a strong singer like the three I listed.

I know Sumerlands. Decent, but the singing is kind of buried in the mix a bit. Any recs would be a big help! Prefer retro bands, but old originals are of course welcome too. Thanks!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 am 

Check out Stone Dagger if you haven't, just a demo but it's AWESOME. Same dude from Magic Circle, which is also awesome heavy/doom.

Avalon Steel too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Vhu4Ep3ik

and Terminus, although I think they lose steam pretty quickly on their album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q5GU_cUD1c

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 am 

So I decided to give Blind Guardian's A Night at the Opera a go and it's surprisingly good to me. Big and complex, yet still entertaining despite not being a riff-y record. Hansi sounds pretty incredible thorough the record, even if I feel that the tons of vocal layers are a bit of a double edged sword.

cruedevil71
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Check out Stone Dagger if you haven't, just a demo but it's AWESOME. Same dude from Magic Circle, which is also awesome heavy/doom.

Stone Dagger is amazing. I bought the demo years ago but I just wish they would record a full length.
ETA
Weird, my post count is 1. I have been posting on and off for 10 years.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:58 am 

Yeah I bought the Stone Dagger tape a short while ago. It's really damn good. Shows where Journey Blind came from.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:50 am 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Looking for heavy/power/trad metal in the vein of Visigoth, Grand Magus and Eternal Champion. Particularly with a strong singer like the three I listed.

Definitely Argus. One of the strongest American bands going right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DQvjfCmtuk

You've probably heard Atlantean Kodex, but in case you haven't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRk7l5zf1U4

Cauldron Born is a bit older, but their first album is a stone cold classic of USPM. Their new stuff also rules hard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PG_WrZ5-Z0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayT0_BMN9nk

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:28 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:

Definitely Argus. One of the strongest American bands going right now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DQvjfCmtuk

You've probably heard Atlantean Kodex, but in case you haven't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRk7l5zf1U4

Cauldron Born is a bit older, but their first album is a stone cold classic of USPM. Their new stuff also rules hard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PG_WrZ5-Z0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayT0_BMN9nk

Ty for the recs. Yeah I know Argus. Listened to them some, but don't find them as good or as interesting as a Visigoth or Grand Magus. Singer isn't as good to me. Just a bit flat and not as powerful and doesn't string together as many memorable melodies as Jake or JB. I love the Visigoth EP partly due to its vocal harmonies, and also the power-thrash riffing.

Atlantean Kodex is one I do want to check out. I think I'll put them at the top of the list now. :)

Cauldron Born I've heard of and I love the name. Think I passed them over, but I'll bump them up too! Ty!

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:16 pm 

Maybe Hundred - The Forest Kingdom would be a good fit. Which of course leads you back to the Isen Torr record too. And Don’t forget the Graven Rite demo, anything Tarpey touches turns to gold it seems... hopefully new Iron Age this year as well.

Idk how he was an authority but the dude in Palmistry confirmed to me that there will be new Stone Dagger eventually. The doom scene crosses borders easily it seems, haha.

The Avalon Steel EP was really cool, I was hoping they’d record a full album but it seems like they’re breaking up. Still praying for a debut record from Hundred and Gatekeeper someday.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm 

Gatekeeper's debut LP is on the way, though I'm not sure when the guys plan to release it. I'm hoping for this year!

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:

I know Sumerlands. Decent, but the singing is kind of buried in the mix a bit. Any recs would be a big help! Prefer retro bands, but old originals are of course welcome too. Thanks!

Check out Heavens Decay. Project of former The Chasm/Acerus member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r3T8RWtPVQ

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 pm 

Check out Ice Vinland while your at it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Looking for heavy/power/trad metal in the vein of Visigoth, Grand Magus and Eternal Champion.

Have you all missed Dead Kosmonaut?! It's a real gem, featuring Hellbutcher from Nifelheim on clean vocals.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:48 pm 

flexodus wrote:
The Avalon Steel EP was really cool, I was hoping they’d record a full album but it seems like they’re breaking up. Still praying for a debut record from Hundred and Gatekeeper someday.

Where'd you hear they're breaking up? I talked to the vocalist on FB yesterday and he sent me a show they're playing couple months from now in North Carolina. Not evidence they're not breaking up, but I didn't get that impression. No clue though.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:36 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Liked this! I like speed/power metal and this sounds fresh and passionate enough to do the trick! I like your stuff generally, including Blazon Stone, the last one is in my list of 2017. Thing is, man I can't keep up with all the albums you have released with the various bands! Also, hopefully you will not take this the wrong way, I am wondering if spreading yourself over so many projects and bands that aren't that far removed musically, does not have an impact on overall quality. Kinda like King Diamond did both KD and MF in the mid90s... Only you do more!

Still, looking forward to your next stuff. :)

I like the production by the way. It's not BIG and beautiful but it suits the material and the guitars are hard hitting enough. I wouldn't know what it would take to make the drums and vocals just as bright and warm but a big studio with an experienced engineer would be my first guess! :P

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:11 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Liked this! I like speed/power metal and this sounds fresh and passionate enough to do the trick! I like your stuff generally, including Blazon Stone, the last one is in my list of 2017. Thing is, man I can't keep up with all the albums you have released with the various bands! Also, hopefully you will not take this the wrong way, I am wondering if spreading yourself over so many projects and bands that aren't that far removed musically, does not have an impact on overall quality. Kinda like King Diamond did both KD and MF in the mid90s... Only you do more!

Still, looking forward to your next stuff. :)

I like the production by the way. It's not BIG and beautiful but it suits the material and the guitars are hard hitting enough. I wouldn't know what it would take to make the drums and vocals just as bright and warm but a big studio with an experienced engineer would be my first guess! :P

Thanks, I totally understand what you're saying and dont blame at all. I've released a SHIT TON of crap.
Just look... here's a german die-hard fan who buys pretty much EVERYTHING I do (incl different vinyl colors), and since this picture even more shit has been released :lol:

Thing is: I do this because I really love to, but I'm also responsible for the entire production of the albums...
Which is a bad thing, because I've never been that good at mixing or mastering. But I really try...

So all my albums sounds mediocre productionwise. I'm aware of that and wish I could do better.

But once I have the funds for it I will start hiring somebody to mix my albums because it takes too much time, and gives too bad results, to do it myself.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:22 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
So all my albums sounds mediocre productionwise. I'm aware of that and wish I could do better.

Why don't you go to The Abyss and praoa?

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:12 am 

Nahsil wrote:
flexodus wrote:

Where'd you hear they're breaking up? I talked to the vocalist on FB yesterday and he sent me a show they're playing couple months from now in North Carolina. Not evidence they're not breaking up, but I didn't get that impression. No clue though.

Well their page on here has them listed as split up (albeit with an indeterminate time frame), and on their facebook I saw a flyer for a show that said "Hail the Winter King for the last time" something to that effect. I suppose that could be referencing a relocation of the band instead of a breakup?
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:34 am 

Opus wrote:
Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Why don't you go to The Abyss and praoa?

I'm lazy and cheap. :lol:

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:45 am 

Sounds like you need to have a talk with your label man, don't compromise your vision because of eagerness to release your stuff!

Since you also think that the production could be a lot better, it seems like you should direct your attention to seeking out a good studio and mixer to enhance and showcase your music. The Abyss is just one option. You have so many there! Simon Johansson's studio where Mike Wead also works (Solna), Andy LaRocque's (Sonic Train) which shouldn't be too expensive and these people have great productions under their belt. I am sure there are tons more. Just call them and ask for a price man, send them your new song and see what they do with that for a sample to see if it's worth it etc.

Don't make Rolf's mistakes! ;) Although his production jobs have been very bad lately...

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:31 pm 

Yup it's mostly a question about economy. Thanks for all suggestions! Will see what happens.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 pm 

I can't stop listening to Remnants of War. Fucking hell it's so perfect. Just dark as pitch, full of menace and muscle.

You guys ever listen to the Distant Thunder album from the early 00s? I played a few songs earlier and found it surprisingly engaging. Rivera sounds solid as fuck and the riffs were surprisingly engaging. Looked like it had at least one guitarist from Destiny's end. I know there was a positive review from Xeogred.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:55 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I can't stop listening to Remnants of War. Fucking hell it's so perfect. Just dark as pitch, full of menace and muscle.

A real underrated album IMHO.

Quote:
You guys ever listen to the Distant Thunder album from the early 00s? I played a few songs earlier and found it surprisingly engaging. Rivera sounds solid as fuck and the riffs were surprisingly engaging. Looked like it had at least one guitarist from Destiny's end. I know there was a positive review from Xeogred.

I didn't like that album at all. The name is misleading ... the guitar work sounds nothing like Helstar. I think without Rivera's vocals it would've sounded like any other power metal album of that era. Disappointing because that band had so much great playing skill and was putting on great shows at that time.

JLT77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:09 am 

Could someone recommend me some bands mainly 80s but I'll take 90s thrrough current as well. The bands can be obscure to commercial or straddle those lines. While I notice this thread is reserved for Heavy, Power, and Speed. Bands that have overlap with the Progressive (non-djent), Neoclassical, Thrash, and Doom (traditional/epic) genres. I find myself all over the boards when it comes to metal, excluding Black and Death.

Here's a list of bands i presently listen to (restricted to Heavy, Power, and Speed):

Black Death
Acid (some female fronted band from Belgium that reminds me of Warlock but heavier)
Accept
Helstar
Cirith Ungol (also see that they're labled as doom)
Manilla Road (they also can get doomy)
Helloween (mostly restrict myself to choice tracks from Walls of Jericho, and Seven Keys I & II)
Savatage
Riot
Crimson Glory
Warlock
Lizzy Borden (I'm soon not to listen to this one anymore, it sounds more like glam which I turned my back on a long time ago)
Dark Quarterer (perhaps it's more progressive)
Demon
Grim Reaper
Night Demon
Dark Star
Dio
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Mournblade (not sure if it'll be a keeper)
Gravestone (I'm willing to shell out big money for their two fuzzy "psychedelic" albums they recorded back in the late 70s)
Jack Starr (possibly more on the lines of Neoclassical)
Atomkraft
Anvil
Diamond Head
Metal Church
Queensryche (Tate era)

Some additional bands that I'm either not entirely sold on or need to give them another chance to make an impression on me:

Raven
Saxon
Tokyo Blade
Heir Apparent (are Nevermore and Sanctuary worth it when it comes to the Seattle metal scene?)
Grave Digger
Iced Earth
Running Wild
Gamma Ray
Fifth Angel
Jag Panzer

There's certainly other bands I could've mentioned but the names escape me.

AndySlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:47 am 

JLT77 wrote:
Could someone recommend me some bands mainly 80s but I'll take 90s thrrough current as well. The bands can be obscure to commercial or straddle those lines. While I notice this thread is reserved for Heavy, Power, and Speed. Bands that have overlap with the Progressive (non-djent), Neoclassical, Thrash, and Doom (traditional/epic) genres. I find myself all over the boards when it comes to metal, excluding Black and Death.
[...]

Somebody mentioned Destiny's End above. If you're looking for a more melodic, streamlined Helstar, look no further.

On a separate note, I saw this band called SkyEye live yesterday and they slew it. I've never seen anybody nail the Maiden/Dio vibe so well live, quite frankly. Very Maiden-esque HM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inj5KsNYkXA

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:56 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Hey Ced, I got an honest question for ya. Why don't you try to get a hold of Rock N Rolf and see if he'd be willing to perhaps check Blazon Stone out, maybe something might come out of it? I mean, it would be a dream come true as a fan if you joined Running Wild and got to help Rolf with some songwriting. Then maybe that would get the label to put some money behind the band and started to tour, find a great producer for a new album, with new life being breathed back into the band. Who would be a good pick for the drummer? Lastly, I loved Down in the Dark, almost perfect but it was missing that last, longer epic song. If it had it's own "Treasure Island type song" it would have been perfect.

Last edited by miskatonic79 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:02 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:

Since Visigoth and Eternal Champion are my two favorite new Epic Heavy Metal bands, I've been looking for more in the style and found some diamonds. First and best is Wrathblade, both albums of theirs kick ass!

The other is Sellsword. Maybe more on the Maiden side of things but very epic!

Another great band, Cromlech:

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:03 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
Gatekeeper's debut LP is on the way, though I'm not sure when the guys plan to release it. I'm hoping for this year!

By Odin I can't wait!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:32 am 

JLT77 wrote:

Here's a list of bands i presently listen to (restricted to Heavy, Power, and Speed):

Black Death
Acid (some female fronted band from Belgium that reminds me of Warlock but heavier)
Accept
Helstar
Cirith Ungol (also see that they're labled as doom)
Manilla Road (they also can get doomy)
Helloween (mostly restrict myself to choice tracks from Walls of Jericho, and Seven Keys I & II)
Savatage
Riot
Crimson Glory
Warlock
Lizzy Borden (I'm soon not to listen to this one anymore, it sounds more like glam which I turned my back on a long time ago)
Dark Quarterer (perhaps it's more progressive)
Demon
Grim Reaper
Night Demon
Dark Star
Dio
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Mournblade (not sure if it'll be a keeper)
Gravestone (I'm willing to shell out big money for their two fuzzy "psychedelic" albums they recorded back in the late 70s)
Jack Starr (possibly more on the lines of Neoclassical)
Atomkraft
Anvil
Diamond Head
Metal Church
Queensryche (Tate era)

Some additional bands that I'm either not entirely sold on or need to give them another chance to make an impression on me:

Raven
Saxon
Tokyo Blade
Heir Apparent (are Nevermore and Sanctuary worth it when it comes to the Seattle metal scene?)
Grave Digger
Iced Earth
Running Wild
Gamma Ray
Fifth Angel
Jag Panzer

There's certainly other bands I could've mentioned but the names escape me.

A lot of what you're describing is US power metal or adjacent (Helstar, Savatage, Crimson Glory, Queensryche, some albums from Manilla Road and Lizzy Borden) so that would probably be a good place to start. I'd recommend looking at some of the reviews penned by our resident USPM fans such as myself, failsafeman, Xeogred, and deathriderdoom. Also, to get you started, I'll briefly go over some of the more well-known / classic USPM bands / albums that weren't among those you mentioned.

Omen's Battle Cry is absolutely required for any USPM listener, barbaric and galloping greatness with an excellent vocalist.

Fates Warning's The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian are also classics, quite different from Omen, being on the more progressive and ethereal side of things, but no less excellent.

Cauldron Born's Born of the Cauldron leans more towards the progressive/complex side of things as well, but it's still quite muscular, sort of the best of both worlds. Some of the riffing is reminiscent of Helstar.

Liege Lord's Master Control is a top-tier USPM/speed metal album with incredible guitar wizardry and a very ballsy vocalist.

Screamer's Target: Earth is pretty similar to Crimson Glory's second album, and also one of the finest USPM releases of the 80s.

Griffin's Flight of the Griffin is fast and aggressive USPM with some great raspy shrieking from the vocalist.

These are some that I'd consider the best/iconic/representative albums of USPM, that should get you started and help you figure out what direction to head in.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Hey Ced, I got an honest question for ya. Why don't you try to get a hold of Rock N Rolf and see if he'd be willing to perhaps check Blazon Stone out, maybe something might come out of it? I mean, it would be a dream come true as a fan if you joined Running Wild and got to help Rolf with some songwriting. Then maybe that would get the label to put some money behind the band and started to tour, find a great producer for a new album, with new life being breathed back into the band. Who would be a good pick for the drummer? Lastly, I loved Down in the Dark, almost perfect but it was missing that last, longer epic song. If it had it's own "Treasure Island type song" it would have been perfect.

I wouldn't even try. Rock N Rolf is a lonewolf (ha-ha) and I doubt that Peter Jordan guy helps much except helping him with recording and solos (he makes some really good solos actually).

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:57 pm 

Ι really wish I knew what's up with Rolf. I've heard some wild rumors that I don't care to spread at all but at the end of the day what I get from the last two albums is cheapness. You can hear the quality somewhere there at the back (like Run Riot or Bloody island from Resilient) but the whole thing collapses because of that DEAD and FLACCID production that sounds it came straight out of a cheap PC. Like a demo. Half-hearted.

I don't know if he's a lonewolf but he certainly is selling his legacy short.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 pm 

Oh, c'mon, spread the wild rumours! :P

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:45 pm 

I wouldn't even try. Rock N Rolf is a lonewolf (ha-ha) and I doubt that Peter Jordan guy helps much except helping him with recording and solos (he makes some really good solos actually).[/quote]

Well, I'm sure it wouldn't HURT to send him a promo package of Blazon Stone. Who knows man, stranger things have happened.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:47 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Ι really wish I knew what's up with Rolf. I've heard some wild rumors that I don't care to spread at all but at the end of the day what I get from the last two albums is cheapness. You can hear the quality somewhere there at the back (like Run Riot or Bloody island from Resilient) but the whole thing collapses because of that DEAD and FLACCID production that sounds it came straight out of a cheap PC. Like a demo. Half-hearted.

I don't know if he's a lonewolf but he certainly is selling his legacy short.

I agree about the production on Rapid Foray but it actually was a SEMI return to form compared to the last two abominations before that. Who knows, maybe with the fourth try Rolf will give us another great album? Either easy I enjoyed Rapid Foray and it's definitely a grower. And yeah, I think Rolf needs to get rid of Peter Jordan and get Ced in!!

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:29 pm 

MammothRider wrote:

BIG announcement coming, probably end of the week. We've been working like madmen over the past few months. The LP recording schedule got dicked around so much that we ended up going into a different studio and laying down three songs for different releases, haha. But yeah lots of exciting stuff on the horizon.

New album has a mixture of old songs that we still play live that have been re-imagined by the new (and much more competent) lineup, plus a bunch of new shit. If you thought our old stuff was slow and boring and didn't have enough riffs or whatever then I bet you'll get a kick out of the upcoming single. The title track owes a lot to US/CAN metal from the 80s. It's also got some romp n stomp Isen Torr and Twisted Tower Dire bits plus a couple of the sprawling epic tracks a la Kodex and Solstice so I think it sounds pretty varied for a trad-metal album. We also have Jean-Pierre from Borrowed Time on vocals full-time which has done a lot for our sound. I think people familiar with our old stuff will be surprised (yet satisfied) and folks who weren't into the old stuff will find something to enjoy in at least a handful of the songs.

If anyone wants to hear a couple advance tracks or would like to review the album for MA or their own publication drop me a PM and I'll be happy to send you a link when stuff is available.

Changing the subject, I've been spinning the Sacred Blade/Othyrworld album and demos a lot lately. The demo from 1990 has my favourite stuff on it but all their material is pretty cool. A buddy of mine in central BC actually owns one of the guitars that Jeff used back in the 80's. It's a really badass relic.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:37 pm 

Element_man wrote:
We also have Jean-Pierre from Borrowed Time on vocals full-time

Sold!

Element_man wrote:
Changing the subject, I've been spinning the Sacred Blade/Othyrworld album and demos a lot lately. The demo from 1990 has my favourite stuff on it but all their material is pretty cool. A buddy of mine in central BC actually owns one of the guitars that Jeff used back in the 80's. It's a really badass relic.

I'm a ridiculously huge fan of this stuff. I've had the Othyrworld CD for years but I just recently got Of the Sun + Moon on vinyl. It's such an experience. The riffing is fucking phenomenal and not many bands were marrying hard edged NWOBHM with atmospheric touches like that. Also easily a top 5 all-time heavy metal photoshoot. With the fucking spaceship in the woods! Gah!

That demo material KILLS! He just kept getting better and better at delivering his vision.

I'm jamming Envoy of Death by Sarcofagus again. Highly recommended for fans of the earliest Road material, or anyone who likes the idea of 70s Priest riffing filtered through a bizarre as fuck Finnish crew.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:05 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
I'm lazy and cheap. :lol:

I'm just gonna throw a couple ideas and suggestions out there, keeping in mind that I don't know much about your personal situation and what you may or may not have already tried

You're located in Sweden right? In Canada we have government grants and non-profit organizations who provide funding to artists that apply. I'll be damned if Sweden doesn't have similar programs in place--in fact I'd imagine that they are even more numerous than ours. In Canada you have to fill out a grant proposal detailing your budget and promotion plans and it would be reviewed by a jury of industry professionals. This is one of the key ingredients to how the band Striker works.

A lot of these mixing engineers and recording studios have haggling room on their rates. Pitch a budget that you can afford to mixing engineers and they might be willing to talk, especially if they like your music. Get the engineer into a conversation, pitch them a budget and maybe leave yourself a little room on the top to meet a potential counter-offer.

You've come up with a pretty large body of work over the years and I'm sure you've amassed a pretty solid following in our little niche, have you done any crowd-funding yet? Or even tried going down a pre-order angle?

Do you keep track of your sales both in physical and digital forms? It's a good idea to compile this info. You can have it on hand and use this as leverage when negotiating with labels and whatnot.

Have you considered renting out your skills as a session musician for other bands? Since you do so much DIY stuff, I imagine you'd be able to work remotely pretty easily. Hell, a guy as prolific as you could possibly get some songwriting credits with larger bands. Guys like Chris Black from Pharaoh will ghost-write songs for larger bands on Century Media and whatnot.

Are any of your previous releases sold out and unavailable (and more importantly, still have some level of demand)? You could possibly take that to another label and re-licence a new edition and get some cash flow out of that.

Just some ideas for ya.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 569, 570, 571, 572, 573, 574, 575 ... 624  Next