rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:09 pm 

Why does that sound so heavy for PM

I like

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:30 pm 

Seasons of the Wolf is such a strange band. Total 70s holdovers in a lot of ways. His voice is amazing though, and their understanding of groove (in the REAL sense of the word) is phenomenal. I get an urge to listen to Lost in Hell and Nocturnal Revelation about once a year. I always dig it, but I always wish there were just a FEW MORE fast songs, and a few less songs overall. I still think their debut stands out as a really unique piece from them. It's shorter and darker than everything else I've heard.

God damn this track rips! I had to put on Lost in Hell immediately. I guess I'll be picking up their newest album. I wish the cover art weren't so tragic.

I think the number of tracks on each SotW album usually is a stumbling block for me. It's not even like there are clunkers, their albums simply become SO dense. Especially with a tendency to write more involved songs that develop and progress. I wonder if with each successive album they thought "Okay, this HAS to be the last one. Let's just put everything we got on it!". Can't blame them for wanting to go out with guns blazing, if that's the case.

So... I just ordered Onward's debut. Fuck man, it's so great.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:43 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
So... I just ordered Onward's debut. Fuck man, it's so great.

Total masterpiece! Unique but very well-crafted. Amazing riffs/solos, and vocal melodies. So glad Grant wasn't another Halford/Dickinson/Tate clone.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:51 pm 

I listened to about half the album with half an ear and I came away feeling like it might be an out and out masterpiece. I forced myself to turn it off so the second half would be a complete surprise. I can't wait to hear the whole thing. The riffing and guitar tone were of course the first thing that grabbed me. I'm surprised the guitarist isn't involved with anything else that I already love. He seems to be bursting with the kind of stuff I crave. That little jaunty main riff in 'Onward' was phenomenal. Can't wait to forget it and hear it again.

What's up with Reawaken? It looks like it has potential to be boring.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:12 pm 

Michael Grant is one of my fave metal vocalists of all time. He fronted some pretty incredible bands in his time. His passing was a shocker for sure. He is sorely missed. :metal:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:52 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I listened to about half the album with half an ear and I came away feeling like it might be an out and out masterpiece. I forced myself to turn it off so the second half would be a complete surprise. I can't wait to hear the whole thing. The riffing and guitar tone were of course the first thing that grabbed me. I'm surprised the guitarist isn't involved with anything else that I already love. He seems to be bursting with the kind of stuff I crave. That little jaunty main riff in 'Onward' was phenomenal. Can't wait to forget it and hear it again.

What's up with Reawaken? It looks like it has potential to be boring.

Reawaken is a step down from the debut, but has some amazing songs. For one, the production sounds far cheaper and the songwriting is more inconsistent. But check out "Where Evil Follows", "Eye of the Nightmare", "Night", and the title track.

Another thing I love about Onward is how not only technical the soloing was, but how super-tasty and catchy it is. Few metal bands have that these days. They truly had a unique sound. This band is one of the reasons I get tired of hearing people say in genre X that everything has been done. They lack vision and imagination.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:57 pm 

One of the few cool things I own metalwise, is the demo-cd of The Neverending Sun with a handwritten letter from Toby Knapp!
I really love that band!

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:56 pm 

Can anyone recommend power metal albums that sounds very specifically like Dragonland's Under the Grey Banner? Same type of fantasy lyrics and heaviness? I mean I love EVERYTHING about the album but unfortunately the other Dragonland albums don't sound anything like it. Freternia's two albums came close but looking for other underground stuff.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:55 am 

I found a band I think a lot of you would like. Unfortunately they only have one release and are now defunct:

Hierophant - Demo 09

I found them because they were compared to Temple of Blood and Agent Steel. Well, I don't think they really sound like that. They are not thrashy, as far as I can tell from this one song. Just USPM, similar to me to stuff like Talisphere, One of Sixx, Deadly Blessing, Heir Apparent, etc.

Here's where I found the one song I have heard: https://www.harmlessnoize.de/944.html

More info: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity ... mo2009.htm

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:29 pm 

New Portrait album is like a lot of isolated cool parts but nothing concrete. Shame. Their second album is still really cool.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 pm 

What are the best early Black Sabbath clones? The only ones I know are Orchid and they are not bad at all.
Any more suggestions?

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:48 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
What are the best early Black Sabbath clones? The only ones I know are Orchid and they are not bad at all.
Any more suggestions?

St. Vitus
The Obssessed
Trouble

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 pm 

Count Raven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGkn0_J_xiY

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:31 pm 

Paka01 wrote:
Any more suggestions?

I don't know if "clone" is the right word, but my two favorite Sabbath worshipping albums are:

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning
Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain

Maybe closer to a Sabbath clone would be Sheavy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:44 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Holy fuck, new Seasons of the Wolf!!!

I heard the first song and it was very cool - waiting to get the album to hear the rest. Apparently it's out in Feb here according to them when I messaged them on FB about it. I've waited so long already that I guess there's no harm in a few more weeks.

Once in a Blue Moon is still my favorite. The folksy stuff, the cranking heavy metal riffage and Wes' sneering - they just perfected everything on that one.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm 

Alright, folks. I need help. I'm getting the craving for some new blood, and I know you can deliver! I want non-stop, balls-to-the-wall, heavy, high-tempo power/speed metal like Persuader's Evolution Purgatory, Iron Savior's first four albums, or just about anything by Mary's Blood (another example).

Requirements:
- At least 9/10 of the band's songs must be uptempo. The occasional ballad is fine, but I ain't got any patience for mid-paced songs anymore. If the drums are phoning it in without any fills or rapid blasting, then their chances of tickling my fancy will be reduced.
- Must be fairly heavy. I want there to be a shit-ton of bass in the mix. Modern production preferred, as I want my ears to be blown out with sheer sonic force, not gently tickled by thin, wispy production.
- Likewise, the vocalists must be forceful and loud. Male or female doesn't matter, they just gotta be strong.
- It's gotta have hooks! Lots and lots of hooks! No dry, tasteless, non-Liege Lord 80s USPM, thank you.

I know you can find it, and I'll be waiting to hear it!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:40 am 

Spinning the new Seasons of the Wolf now. The first song sounds promising so far and that vocalist sounds like he hasn't changed a bit - that vicious snarl is still working. Man, this band is really immune to any trends it seems. :lol: I've written the band off as a song band, but perhaps I should revisit some of their entire albums a go again. With the exception of the debut I'd just get frustrated hearing their other records from the start to the finish with plenty of fillers popping up from time to time.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 am 

colin040 wrote:
Spinning the new Seasons of the Wolf now. Man, this band is really immune to any trends it seems. :lol:

Based on my cursory listens many years ago it didn't grab me but I did recognize they could not care LESS about any sort of music trend, even in the niche metal scene. I think that's why I respect them and would be willing to give them more of my time these days.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 pm 

Where are you spinning it from?

There's something refreshing about their particular brand of nostalgia. They started playing when their style was still somewhat current, then when they were putting out albums it was so retro it was alien, and now with the current revival trends, I imagine this new album may actually get them some long awaited recognition.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 pm 

They are incredible 70s holdovers who aren't afraid to do WHATEVER it takes to make a great song. I could probably cobble together two perfect records from all their songs. Unfortunately, I do think their albums tend to run long and personally all the midpaced stuff becomes a bit of a slog for me, when laid end to end.

Oskuldernas Eld by Witch Blade is very fun. I'm really not sure if it's anything more than that, though. It's 26 minutes of Swedish kids making raucous Swedish sounding heavy metal. A lot of hard-charging riffs, a lot of melody, and not a lot of quality singing.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/W ... eld/484417

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:27 pm 

Just found this debut EP by Argentinian band Sorcerer (via the youtube channel NWOTHM Full Albums,well worth subscribing to).

Fast epic heavy metal, if that makes sense. Spectacular singer, great guitarist, and great songs! I'm associating to Into the Mirror Black/Tad Morose.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:51 pm 

That EP is very, very good! The Sanctuary comparison is very apt. Riffs directly point to Rutledge!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 am 

Haven't cared about new Judas Priest in a long time, but this ain't bad. Dumb but fun!

the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:36 pm 

Has anyone else heard Outworld's 2008 promo release? It's a lot better than their s/t album: more instant, busier, yet less wanky sounding, as if the band figured to use similar ideas while keeping their songs shorter and more simplistic. God damn, this blows their s/t out of the water for sure. Why couldn't they at least record an entire album of this stuff before splitting up? :(

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:53 pm 

I prefer the album mostly, although that second track is pretty sweet. Definitely wish they would have continued to release material though.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:06 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
That EP is very, very good! The Sanctuary comparison is very apt. Riffs directly point to Rutledge!

Yeah wow, the riffage does really sound like Sanctuary without the white collar USPM-isms. I'm definitely into it.

On the topic of "fast epic metal" though, I think Hundred - Riders of Ardenland would be a better fit. Basically feels like speed metal Isen Torr at times. Really love that demo and want to hear more from those guys. It's a shame they can't release music at the same pace as the Storsson project.

my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:26 am 

Omen apparently released a new song a few days ago. Not sure how I feel about it yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1OOcIi ... e=youtu.be

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 am 

Not great, but honestly way better than I thought they could do now. The vocal lines are kind of weird but the riffs are good.

I dug out Axehammer's Windrider the other day and I'm digging it - there's zero fat on this album and everything is just rocking the fuck out. Shame they barely put out anything else. Tried some of their 2012 album but the production is really bad.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 pm 

flexodus wrote:
On the topic of "fast epic metal" though, I think Hundred - Riders of Ardenland would be a better fit. Basically feels like speed metal Isen Torr at times. Really love that demo and want to hear more from those guys. It's a shame they can't release music at the same pace as the Storsson project.

This is sweet! Reminds me more of Quicksand Dream if they sped up - that bass work and old school rhythmic sensibilities really evoke them to me. Not far from Isen Torr either, of course. Nice find, this is the best new epic heavy metal project I've heard in awhile. Good to hear the style still going strong.

Also those new Priest tracks had me pleasantly surprised. Firepower is merely decent, but Lightning Strikes is really, really solid, best song I've heard from them since Painkiller. Glad to see that old beast still has some life left in it!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:50 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Omen apparently released a new song a few days ago. Not sure how I feel about it yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1OOcIi ... e=youtu.be

Not bad at all. Decent musically...the vocalist is hit or miss but he's got some charm. Haven't loved any of their vocalists after Kimball, so I don't mind switching it up.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:21 pm 

Ι know the new vocalist Nikos personally, he is from the city I live in, he also used to sing for the band of one of my best friends. He is also the singer for Marauder, one of the more known heavy metal bands in Greece. He's got a very good voice, I think he can do a great job. He has a very similar timbre to DeFeis actually.

I wasn't crazy about the new song either, although it's a step-up from a lot of the stuff that they put out in the past many years. The songwriting is fine, it's the whole production that throws me off to be honest.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:53 pm 

You guys think Remnants of War carries a side-long concept on each half? I never noticed until today. My LP copy doesn't have lyrics, which probably stunted me in my realization. The first half, all four songs, flow effortlessly into each other, carry a strong lyrical theme throughout, and honestly is there a chorus at all on the first half? I don't think there is!

Am I the last to notice as usual? At this point I've come full-circle and I can honestly say I love A Distant Thunder and Remnants of War even more than Nosferatu.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:12 pm 

that new omen song is easily the best thing theyve done since the 80s

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:18 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
You guys think Remnants of War carries a side-long concept on each half? I never noticed until today. My LP copy doesn't have lyrics, which probably stunted me in my realization. The first half, all four songs, flow effortlessly into each other, carry a strong lyrical theme throughout, and honestly is there a chorus at all on the first half? I don't think there is!

Am I the last to notice as usual? At this point I've come full-circle and I can honestly say I love A Distant Thunder and Remnants of War even more than Nosferatu.

Interesting, Remnants of War is the one of their first four that I still can't get into. I'm not sure what it is, but it just goes in one ear and out the other. I do agree with Distant Thunder over Nosferatu although both are very good to great USPM.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:57 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Ι know the new vocalist Nikos personally, he is from the city I live in, he also used to sing for the band of one of my best friends. He is also the singer for Marauder, one of the more known heavy metal bands in Greece. He's got a very good voice, I think he can do a great job. He has a very similar timbre to DeFeis actually.

I wasn't crazy about the new song either, although it's a step-up from a lot of the stuff that they put out in the past many years. The songwriting is fine, it's the whole production that throws me off to be honest.

I actually really like the production. Not lo-fi by any means, but not ultra-modern sounding either. My problem with the song is that it lacks the singular, driving riff that made their old-school material SO good. That sort of lead guitar bit that pops up a couple of times is pretty nice though.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:49 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Can anyone recommend power metal albums that sounds very specifically like Dragonland's Under the Grey Banner? Same type of fantasy lyrics and heaviness? I mean I love EVERYTHING about the album but unfortunately the other Dragonland albums don't sound anything like it. Freternia's two albums came close but looking for other underground stuff.

closest i have are :
Bane of winterstorm : Last sons of perylin
Spoiler: show
https://youtu.be/ZKMMoMNzAlk

Lorenguard : Eve of destruction
https://youtu.be/YO9KgKOxJOY

Rhapsody of fire : Dark wings of steel
https://youtu.be/j3_OzLpBysU

Dark Moor : The Hall Of Olden Dreams
https://youtu.be/YWu7Orf97bE

Xandria : Neverworlds end
https://youtu.be/mATzrUDHXMk

Not so close but heavy and epic

Atlantean kodex : The Golden Bough
https://youtu.be/Gw2X2As76hs

Turisas : Stand Up and Fight, To holmgard and beyond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24bYlWqR4_o

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:38 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
You guys think Remnants of War...

Interesting, Remnants of War is the one of their first four that I still can't get into. I'm not sure what it is, but it just goes in one ear and out the other. I do agree with Distant Thunder over Nosferatu although both are very good to great USPM.

Remnants was a grower for me. Took a long time actually. I think it's partially because the first half is so free of hooks. If you don't pay attention it goes right by without notice. But holy shit when you dial in.

The second half was what kept me coming back originally. Dark Queen is over the top ridiculously great.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:07 pm 

I've gotten so used to hearing the remastered version of the first Diamond Head album that I forgot just how much better it sounds than the original. Am I Evil in particular becomes absolutely lethal with the added crunch.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm 

Goddamn this new Saxon album smokes. They just keep on delivering. There's an art to just writing these fucking crushing, grooving classic metal riffs and they have it down... every song on here rules. Especially this.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 570, 571, 572, 573, 574, 575, 576 ... 624  Next