Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:46 pm 

Refuge Denied is fucking epic. Veil of Disguise (man if you don't feel this you have no soul!) and Third War with that devastating bridge riff are my favorites but of course Battle Angels, Die for My Sins, the cover, Sanctuary, Soldiers of Steel are all classics. Needs some replays and VOLUME (to counter the thin production by Mustaine).

I think I prefer Into the Mirror Black myself but they're both 10/10 in my book, special shit. The remixed demos are also fantastic and I would perhaps recommend them because they have an even more passionate Dane and a thicker guitar tone thanks to the modern remix. Plus Dream of the Incubus which is pure US Metal fire.

I am torn between Digital Dictator and Welcome to the Ball for favorite Vicious Rumors.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:18 pm 

Digital Dictator is the clear winner for me when it comes to Vicious Rumors. Soldiers of the Night comes 2nd, I love that aggressive edge on those first two!

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:35 pm 

Some dark, punchy power metal I discovered at random. The songs can get a little long-winded, but seems like they were on the right track before disappearing into the void.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:51 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Some dark, punchy power metal I discovered at random. The songs can get a little long-winded, but seems like they were on the right track before disappearing into the void.

Hot damn, you weren't kidding! I mean, based on the album cover and the band/album/song titles, I assumed this was going to be "modern" style melodeath crap or possibly that "gothic" brand of watered-down symphonic rock that a lot of other modern bands play, but this is actually the real deal! The growling in the beginning is pretty mweh, but after that everything is great, the riffing/soloing is incredible, gives me some Persuader vibes, really epic stuff with a pretty strong vocalist as well. Dunno if the rest of the album will hold up, but I'm about to find out! Easily a 9/10 for me. Not quite USPM, so not all may like it, but definitely not the typical Europower shit either. Thanks for sharing!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:41 pm 

To the surprise of no one, Digital Dictator is my favorite Vicious Rumors. But they've had a ton of great albums throughout the years - I actually like Razorback Killers almost as much as the classic material, even if the first two tracks completely overshadow the rest of the album.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:41 am 

Razorback Killers is awesome and it made my top 5 that year but I don't understand how nobody comments on Right of Devastation, which is easily my favorite song on the album and the best thing VR did in the past years.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 am 

I should catch up on their later stuff. I think the last one I heard from them was over five years ago now. I remember liking Warball really well.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:50 am 

I'm in the same boat as you Emp. I have a tendency to ignore recent material from bands like this and default to classics, but then you have bands like Helstar and Attacker prove why that can be silly.

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:22 am 

so this band called Witherfall got announced for KIT, never heard of em but a lot of people are hyped about em apparently.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 am 

One of the very good bands of recent years. You might remember that their singer filled in for Warrel Dane for the last Sancturay tour and apparently will be featured in a new album as well. That added to their hype.

I had their debut in my best of list last year and their new one might also make it. They play very tasteful power/prog with some Nevermorian influences, definitely recommended.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:42 pm 

Been digging Fool's Game lately - heavy, propulsive modern metal without any of the bad gimmicks some people might associate with that. It's heavy/power but not overly retro style. Just some sweet, thrash riffs and badass clarion-call vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU9rHyv0WZ4

Huh I forgot I had reviewed this album years ago. Weird. I'd just thought of it again lately and realized I hadn't listened in ages.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:44 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
so this band called Witherfall got announced for KIT, never heard of em but a lot of people are hyped about em apparently.

Their music sounds nothing like what KIT normally features though. If it wasn't the peripheral association with Sanctuary, I think they would never have been invited there.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 pm 

Lol, so maybe Sanctuary are also playing? Anyway, if they suck, it's no loss - we just have a "beer band". I'll check 'em out at any rate.

I'm not a massive Vicious Rumors fan, but Welcome to the Ball always struck me as the moment wherein they upped their game ever so slightly and leered at the mainstream (I mean that in a good way, their style's always been somewhat polished). Very much comparable to Howe era Metal Church at that moment in time, albeit a much more shred-orientated band.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 pm 

Fifth Angel apparently released a new album last month? And Ed Archer is apparently not on it, even though he's currently in the band???

Checking it out on Youtube. Fairly bland so far. Dust to Dust has a decent chorus, but This Is War is one of the worse ballads I've heard recently; Just really whiny and impotent.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:02 am 

Fifth Angel's newest album is everything you'd expect from a comeback band signing onto Nuclear Blast. It's OK but very sterile. They have some good ideas here and there but it isn't worth hitting more than once IMO.

BuriedUnborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:46 am 

I can't get enough of Enlighted's 2010 EP "Time to Fly". It's so fucking frustating that they never recorded a full-length album.
Spoiler: show

Moshing: Dancing like a madman, perpetrating a frantic and violent dance which consists in jumping and whipping your body against other brainless idiots until you enter an irrational and brutal pyramid of pleasure.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 am 

Marcohateshipsters wrote:
Fifth Angel's newest album is everything you'd expect from a comeback band signing onto Nuclear Blast. It's OK but very sterile. They have some good ideas here and there but it isn't worth hitting more than once IMO.

I like the first two Fifth Angel albums well enough but they really weren't up to muster when they played live. Honestly, without the original vocalist - who oozed charisma - they're not the same to me, at all.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:58 am 

Xenophon wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Come at me with your early Maiden bands, please! No bad vocalists, please.

Baltimor - EEPOS is quite Killers-sounding.

https://baltimor.bandcamp.com/album/eepos

Thanks for the recommendation but I hated the vocals. I'm not looking for Phil Anselmo-esque vocals, but actual heavy metal singing.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:21 am 

Holy shit, I did not know this was happening in less than a month. So much hype!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:45 pm 

Too bad those vocals were ho-hum.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:43 am 

New Saboter videoclip from their new album:

I really like the verse and the way Antonis sings, the chorus I'm not so sure about, bit too Iced Earthy for me, not that that's by default a bad thing.

I do prefer the opener though (reminder):

And they now have the entire album streaming on bandcamp:

https://saboter2.bandcamp.com/releases

I will be listening to this very closely, they have the potential to make the year's list for sure.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:01 pm 

I'm looking for speed metal bands that have a "Motorhead" sound which consist of incorporating vocals similar to King Diamond, Harry Conklin, and/or Rob Halford.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:52 pm 

Lol, good luck.

Riot fans: thoughts on Born in America, please.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:04 pm 

It's alright. Rhett Forrester is a solid singer, but the songwriting is much less inspired than on the Guy Speranza albums or a good chunk of the Tony Moore albums. Every song feels like it's about twice as long as it should be. Sort of an interesting transitional period though, more metal than the Speranza era and with some early speedy touches.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:49 pm 

New Veonity out tomorrow. I've not been happy with new power metal bands in later years, but this is the real deal. Just like they used to make 'em at the turn of the century.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:07 pm 

What are Omen's 3 best songs? I just don't see what others are so impressed by with this band. I of course know "Ruby Eyes of the Serpent", but to me it's just above average and not great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
What are Omen's 3 best songs? I just don't see what others are so impressed by with this band. I of course know "Ruby Eyes of the Serpent", but to me it's just above average and not great.

Every track on Battle Cry and "Termination" and "Red Horizon" off of Warning of Danger. "Hell's Gates" too - monster of a track. Man it has been a while since I played WoD - always loved that album.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:03 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

My 3 favourite tracks are:

Warning of Danger
In the Arena
Battle Cry

The first 3 albums are all amazing though.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:41 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Hard to choose just 3 songs as the first 3 albums are damn near faultless, but here ya go.

Battle Cry
Warning Of Danger
Teeth Of The Hydra

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:40 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Hard to choose just 3 songs as the first 3 albums are damn near faultless, but here ya go.

Battle Cry
Warning Of Danger
Teeth Of The Hydra

I think these would be my 3 as well! Can't go wrong with the J.D. Kimball material though :)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:16 pm 

Wow. I've never heard of Omen being a "grower" for anyone. I would tend to think that if you don't love all of Battle Cry, you're probably just not that into them. Which is cool, just a big surprise. Definitely the first USPM act to grab me by the balls.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:25 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Wow. I've never heard of Omen being a "grower" for anyone. I would tend to think that if you don't love all of Battle Cry, you're probably just not that into them. Which is cool, just a big surprise. Definitely the first USPM act to grab me by the balls.

Yeah, this exactly. I've liked them since I was a kid - I remember playing Battle Cry on the bus in high school. Maybe the style's not for you - it's certainly nothing erudite or enigmatic enough to be a grower usually.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:29 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Riot fans: thoughts on Born in America, please.
It's probably the most boring Riot album out there. They dropped some of the fun details in the riffs and rhythm section and played it really chunky and straight-forward. It's heavier than the first three albums but less exciting. I don't think it's bad but Restless Breed is the better Rhett Forester album.

I personally don't think Riot has ANY bad albums.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:17 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm looking for speed metal bands that have a "Motorhead" sound which consist of incorporating vocals similar to King Diamond, Harry Conklin, and/or Rob Halford.

This is exactly what you are looking for :)

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:13 am 

The new Beast in Black single is positively drenched with cheesy 80s pop vibes. And I love it.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:03 pm 

If you like power/prog, the new Divine Ascension album is pretty good.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The new Beast in Black single is positively drenched with cheesy 80s pop vibes. And I love it.

This is honestly everything I hate in the modern brand of "arena" EUPM like Gloryhammer, Sabaton, Powerwolf, etc. Bleh. Less of this and more Scanner/Heavens Gate type of EUPM please.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:07 am 

Marcohateshipsters wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

This is honestly everything I hate in the modern brand of "arena" EUPM like Gloryhammer, Sabaton, Powerwolf, etc. Bleh. Less of this and more Scanner/Heavens Gate type of EUPM please.

They do multiple styles, actually. They have poppy songs like the above and "Blind and Frozen," but they also have more aggressive tunes like their self-titled track, "The Fifth Angel," "Zodd the Immortal," and even hybrid tracks like "End of the World." I think they're fresh and exciting, personally.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 am 

I can get into Beast of Black, yeah. That "Sweet True Lies" one was a lot better than the kind of Powerwolf/Gloryhammer tripe and "Fifth Angel" absolutely shreds. I think the singer, the dude from Wardrum, is the best element, but the music is pretty awesome too - very early-00s power metal. Much better than anything Battle Beast has done in years.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:43 am 

Sounds exactly like Battle Beast (I see one of BiB's members is from that band), really good stuff and quality is on par with older BB stuff. Weird I wasn't aware of them, thanks Zelkiiro for the heads up!

Sweet Little Lies could have easily been on Eurovision Song contest (if trimmed down about 30 seconds). I wonder if they tried submitting it to the nationla Finnish competition.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589 ... 624  Next