Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:29 am 

Here's a great band that I've been enjoying lately: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/L ... ess/628620

Reminds me of demo-era Deadly Blessing crossed with Lucian Blaque (another band you should check out if you haven't). Vocals also remind me at times of Tom Mallicoat (Lethal) and Danny White (Cauldron Born).

The songs "Eternal Life", "All Become One", and "Evil Mind" are really standing out to me so far.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:16 pm 

Cartoon metal, eurovision metal, pop metal. That's what I call these bands. It's good for what it is but the best way to describe how I feel about Beast in Black or Sabaton or Battle Beast or any of those bands is this comparison:

METAL:

Spoiler: show

Cartoon Metal, Eurovision Metal, Pop Metal:

Spoiler: show

I like that snack (more than I do Sabaton for example) but it's not even near bacon.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:22 pm 

By the way, Giannis has left Wardrum, they let him go actually after he had to cancel a Wardrum show to do a Beast in Black mini tour in Germany. He did not want to leave actually. We are waiting for Wardrum to announce a new singer soon, they posted something about a new album, so we'll see.

I believe the dude in Beast in Black was the primary songwriter for Battle Beast and the rest kicked him out (or something), hence all the "revenge" stuff in the debut. I really liked the one song from the debut, the s/t one (the lyrics are about Berserk but it's pretty obvious that there's a second meaning) would make an awesome intro to a japanese cartoon or something. You know, like how the original Thundercats tune was awesome. Same principle.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:09 pm 

Wow, that sucks that he left. I didn't know that. Spinning The Awakening in the car today and it seriously fucking shreds - highly recommend that one to fans of old 80s speed. It's got the meat and the teeth of that old style along with modern complexity like Pharaoh or Symphony X. Just badass.

Here's hoping the next singer they get is up to the challenge.

Yeah, the only Battle Beast album I care about is the debut - which I now see was heavily influenced by Chastain. That original singer was huge into Leather Leone, it shows. The music is poppier but still had some great riffs on that debut. Beast In Black sounds more traditional than Battle Beast did, and yeah, a bit candied and cheesy - but pretty solid from the tracks I sampled.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Wow, that sucks that he left. I didn't know that. Spinning The Awakening in the car today and it seriously fucking shreds - highly recommend that one to fans of old 80s speed. It's got the meat and the teeth of that old style along with modern complexity like Pharaoh or Symphony X. Just badass.

Here's hoping the next singer they get is up to the challenge.

Yeah, the only Battle Beast album I care about is the debut - which I now see was heavily influenced by Chastain. That original singer was huge into Leather Leone, it shows. The music is poppier but still had some great riffs on that debut. Beast In Black sounds more traditional than Battle Beast did, and yeah, a bit candied and cheesy - but pretty solid from the tracks I sampled.

Empyreal, I tried looking up "Spinning The Awakening" and I couldn't find it. Is this band listed under a different name or something?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:16 pm 

"Awakening" is the name of an album by Wardrum.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:47 pm 

Empyreal you have an outstanding knowledge of metal. What would be your top 10 speed metal albums? You can go beyond 10 recommendations. To be honest the more recs, the better and you can name as many albums as you want.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Empyreal you have an outstanding knowledge of metal. What would be your top 10 speed metal albums? You can go beyond 10 recommendations. To be honest the more recs, the better and you can name as many albums as you want.

Is Emp the only one you want recs from? .....

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:12 am 

I barely listen to speed metal, so probably not the best person to get recs from.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:00 pm 

Marcohateshipsters wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:

Is Emp the only one you want recs from? .....

Nah, it doesn't matter who gives me recs. Feel free to post your top ten (or beyond that number) if you want.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:24 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
What would be your top 10 speed metal albums? You can go beyond 10 recommendations. To be honest the more recs, the better and you can name as many albums as you want.

Oblivion Knight - s/t
Agent Steel - Skeptic's Apocalypse, Mad Locust Rising, Unstoppable Force, Omega Conspiracy
Exciter - The Dark Command
Defender - Remaining Tales
Tyrant's Reign - s/t
Tension - Breaking Point
Anthrax - Fistful of Metal, Spreading the Disease
Elysium - Coal Black (demo)
Riot - Thundersteel, The Privilege of Power, Immortal Soul
Surrealist - Playing God

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:30 pm 

Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse x5
Savage Grace - Master of Disguise x5

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:19 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Opus you have an outstanding knowledge of metal.

Armory
Speedtrap

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:
What would be your top 10 speed metal albums? You can go beyond 10 recommendations. To be honest the more recs, the better and you can name as many albums as you want.

Defender - Remaining Tales
Tyrant's Reign - s/t

These two are among my absolute favorites! Tyrant's Reign in particular have never gotten the press they deserve.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:42 am 

One of my favorite speed metal albums (aside from the aforementioned Riot and Agent Steel albums) is Ride With Death by Speedwolf. It's transparent Motorhead worship, yes, but it's fucking awesome Motorhead worship.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:48 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
One of my favorite speed metal albums (aside from the aforementioned Riot and Agent Steel albums) is Ride With Death by Speedwolf. It's transparent Motorhead worship, yes, but it's fucking awesome Motorhead worship.

You HAVE to check out Baphomet's Horns' In Satan We Trust and I also agree that Speedwolf kicks ass.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:14 pm 

So I've been taking another look at German speed metal since I've been enjoy BG's debut a lot lately, and damn, apparently I had somehow never heard Helloween's s/t EP before, or at least not in a very long time. I've always found Kai's vocal lines on WoJ to be mediocre and underwhelming, with riffs that are solid but not great, but this is the shit! Insane leads, memorable riffs, Kai Hansen belting his heart out with energy and charisma...well, I can honestly say there's a Helloween album I like now! Still not sure how I missed it for all these years. One of those releases that slipped through the cracks, I guess. There's always bound to be one or two. Anyway, I'm glad to have a complement to BoF for my fun/catchy speed metal listening!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:59 pm 

https://pitchblackrecords.bandcamp.com/album/archegonoi

Arrayan Path keep putting these out too quick for me to even keep up. Jesus Christ. I was just checking to see if anyone had reviewed the last one yet.

edit: Sampling a few tracks... this is massive. Sounding absolutely fucking immense. I'm amazed they can keep up this quality.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:39 am 

Empyreal wrote:
https://pitchblackrecords.bandcamp.com/album/archegonoi

Arrayan Path keep putting these out too quick for me to even keep up. Jesus Christ. I was just checking to see if anyone had reviewed the last one yet.

edit: Sampling a few tracks... this is massive. Sounding absolutely fucking immense. I'm amazed they can keep up this quality.

Eh, Arrayan Path continue to still not be my thing. They're certainly unique and interesting, but it's not the kind of thing I'd listen to for fun.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 am 

They can be a bit much, but I appreciate what they do and the dedication to making this stuff.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:44 pm 

Hollow (the Swedish power/progressive metal band) have a new album, first one in 19 years! Listening to it now and it’s really cool. We have some fans here, right? Mid-paced and super melodic stuff, with some really heavy riffs for being euro power metal. Reminds me a bit of early Fates Warning in that regard, even though the style is more modern.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/H ... ess/749402

The drummer credited is just an anagram for Andreas Stoltz, right? Pretty sure the band is just him now. Also the ”split up” status on their page seems weird, but maybe he decided to put an end to the project after getting this release out. Not much info I can find on this!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm 

i just listened to deaf dealer - Journey into Fear, basically a less heavy Omen. I liked it quite a bit.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:25 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i just listened to deaf dealer - Journey into Fear, basically a less heavy Omen. I liked it quite a bit.

Personal favorite of mine, but this one has always struck me as more Iron Maiden meets 80s US Power than anything else.

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:25 am 

So Dark Moor are at it again--their new album, Origins, isn't very good. It's a hell of a lot better than Project X, and it even has a few decent songs, but most tracks are limp and lifeless and Alfred still sounds like he bit his tongue. What a shame.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:31 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:

Personal favorite of mine, but this one has always struck me as more Iron Maiden meets 80s US Power than anything else.

Hey, the law of USPM is that you can't compare anything to Maiden. While a band's singer might sound like Bruce Dickinson - you have to think of 6 different guys from semi-obscure bands to compare him to instead.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:28 pm 

Bloodstone wrote:
Hollow (the Swedish power/progressive metal band) have a new album, first one in 19 years! Listening to it now and it’s really cool. We have some fans here, right? Mid-paced and super melodic stuff, with some really heavy riffs for being euro power metal. Reminds me a bit of early Fates Warning in that regard, even though the style is more modern.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/H ... ess/749402

The drummer credited is just an anagram for Andreas Stoltz, right? Pretty sure the band is just him now. Also the ”split up” status on their page seems weird, but maybe he decided to put an end to the project after getting this release out. Not much info I can find on this!

Architect of the Mind was a cool power metal album with beefy mid-paced riffing. I'll be sure to check out the new one later.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:47 pm 

Yeah, I like Architect of the Mind also, I've only heard it a couple of times, but it does seem pretty cool, modern(ish) prog/power with balls, sort of like Hanker or Antiquus. I'll have to hear the new album at some point.

macmoney wrote:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:22 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

Hey, the law of USPM is that you can't compare anything to Maiden. While a band's singer might sound like Bruce Dickinson - you have to think of 6 different guys from semi-obscure bands to compare him to instead.

`

i listen to both Omens but not to Maiden :tinfoil:

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:57 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

Bruce Dickinson was heavily influenced by Joe Comeau of Overkill fame :boo:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:46 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
`

i listen to both Omens but not to Maiden :tinfoil:

Both Josef Kalapacs and JD Kimball were influenced by that guy from Medieval Steel and that other guy, Snowball II, from Warlord.

FengisRipRider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 pm 

heres some new stuff from my brother and I, epic US Power metal maybe in your interest.

https://preludetoruin.bandcamp.com/track/one-more-fight

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:16 pm 

FengisRipRider wrote:
heres some new stuff from my brother and I, epic US Power metal maybe in your interest.

Hey this is pretty good man and I mean REALLY good. You guys remind me A LOT of Borrowed Time and that debut is one of my absolute favorites from recent years not to mention how excellent that demo comp is too. Given the striking similarities in melodies, were you involved in that project as well?

That whole split with White Magician was great through and through. Do you guys have any plans for a full length or EP anytime soon?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:47 pm 

FengisRipRider wrote:

To echo Marco, this is pretty cool stuff indeed. Kind of sounds like if Heir Apparent were on coke (yes, Oblarg, you may commence your self-gratification). Just as a suggestion, the production is great for the most part but I think the vocals are just a bit low in the mix, I think. I tend to be nitpicky, so take it with a grain of salt, but just a possible thing to have in mind in the future.

Anyway, I'm going to check out your two songs from that split that Marco mentioned now, didn't know of its existence before. Cheers!

macmoney wrote:

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:14 am 

FengisRipRider wrote:

This is very promising stuff. If I had any suggestion, it would be to add a bit more bass presence.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:54 am 

So this band Wicked Mystic is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuJ3oVT1Wo

Shame I can't even find more songs on Youtube easily, let alone Amazon. Might have to try Discogs or something to get this. There was one from their 2012 album also on Youtube, but that didn't sound very good, sadly.

edit: Oh I did find some more now that I scrolled down.

aperson663
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:10 pm 

FengisRipRider wrote:

Yeah this sounds great, i also listened to the other song you had on bandcamp, "the weird of the white wolf." I heard some Riot influence, and if this sounds like epic US Power Metal maybe I need to listen to more of it. Personally I was reminded of some great classic speed/power metal, i love your dueling guitars on solos and yeah i agree with the person above that said he would like to hear a little more bass.

Anyways keep it up you have something really awesome there it would be cool to see where you go with it next.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:08 am 

Vortex never really clicked with me until today, but, man, it sounds good now. The singer sounds like Ian Astbury pretending to be a spooky monster.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:
So this band Wicked Mystic is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuJ3oVT1Wo

Shame I can't even find more songs on Youtube easily, let alone Amazon. Might have to try Discogs or something to get this. There was one from their 2012 album also on Youtube, but that didn't sound very good, sadly.

edit: Oh I did find some more now that I scrolled down.

"The Paramount Question" is one of the best and most creative albums of the 2000s IMHO. After that they switched singers and went in a straight-forward, less melodic, old school thrash direction.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:28 am 

I'll let you know what I thought if/when I can ever find that album anywhere.

Thrasher42472
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 am 

Agreed, IMPELLITTERI are a incredible band coming from the bay area. Their recent release entitled "The Nature of The Beast" was released on October 18, 2018. Their one and only previous release was entitled "Venom" released in 2017. The lead vocalist is Rob Rock, band was formed a few years ago by guitarist Chris Impellitteri, also with mates bassist Jimmy Pulli and drummer Phil T'date. Lead guitarist Chris can be a bit of a hot dog on his solo's, he is a killer guitarist and likes to be let it known. Vocalist Rob is a amazing vocalist and can really let loose reminds me of Bruce Dickerson maybe even better at times.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 584, 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590 ... 624  Next