Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 am 

This Kairos album is sounding pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR67ISi5zi0

Also the new ShadowStrike is some nice American power metal, pretty cheesy, over the top and Euro sounding but fun. They had a great track on the Flame in the Dark comp a few years ago.

edit: apparently David T. Chastain lives in Atlanta, I wonder if he offers guitar lessons? Hahah.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:56 am 

Found this Slough Feg interview with a quote by Scalzi that was intriguing...

https://www.forgotten-scroll.net/metal- ... XEAs2lGbFA

Scalzi about the Traveller album wrote:
I thought it was ironic that many “underground “fans thought it was our best album – that our most mainstream sounding album was their favorite. I’m not criticizing people for liking my album, because I like it too – and I always want people to like what I do, of course. but it was an experiment in sounding more straightforward – and less unique – my conclusion was that underground fans have the same kind of taste as everyone else, they like catchy poppy melodies, which totally fine – but a bit ironic.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:09 am 

Nahsil wrote:
This Kairos album is sounding pretty cool.

The singer sounds exactly like someone else, and it's driving me crazy! I'm thinking hard rock/"hair metal" band, late 80s. Aaargh
And yes, the album sounds great.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:25 am 

Looking for prog/power like Viathyn.

Mostly focused prog/power with decent folk influences.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 am 

Have you guys heard the new Biomechanical EP? It's just orchestral crap. I can't imagine who this is supposed to be for and why it was marketed under that band name as I suspect it was all programmed by just the singer.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:22 am 

Does anyone know who does the falsetto screams at the end of Dio's Evil Eyes? Google is no help.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:22 am 

I'd love to get some medieval/folklore/dungeon inspired heavy/speed metal!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:55 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Does anyone know who does the falsetto screams at the end of Dio's Evil Eyes? Google is no help.

I'm pretty sure that is just pitch shifted/sped up. I always thought that sounded like Donald Duck.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:10 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Cauldron Born
Matthias Steele

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:44 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Cauldron Born
Matthias Steele

Sorry, didn't hit for me. Thank you anyway!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Can you give some examples of what you're looking for musically? That's kind of a vague description as there's a lot of stuff with those types of lyrical themes in those genres.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:21 pm 

I'm digging this Allomancer album:

It's definitely got some Helstar vibes, but it's not afraid to do its own thing, and the riffs rule.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:38 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Medieval Steel - The Dungeon Tapes
Omen - Battle Cry
Savatage - Sirens/The Dungeons are Calling

Maybe?

on another note I love Frozen Crown so much, so much fun, exuding professionalism and know-how and catchy riffs and vocal melodies for days. Both albums have kicked ass despite being released so close together. Probably my favorite active Europower band.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:27 am 

Was thinking I hadn't played any Lost Horizon in forever. This is killer. Must've been years since I played their debut in full... Heiman is obviously a mega-talent, but the music is dense and thoughtful in a way a lot of bands weren't back then. Very cool stuff.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 am 

I thought Lost Horizon's whole "post-break-up-dude-with-office-job-has-masculinity-crisis" lyrical angle was lame. And poorly done. And I like Manowar.

Winter's Bane's debut is great! More King Diamond than anything else, but it plays very much in the Them/Conspiracy vein, albeit with slightly less outrageous guitar playing. I guess its relative obscurity is based on the fact that Ripper went on to bigger things and they just get mentioned as a footnote of his career.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 pm 

That Winters Bane album is a minor masterpiece in my book. Best thing Ripper has ever done. Second place being Brainicide.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:59 pm 

You know, I never really used to read LH's lyrics.

I remember that Winter's Bane album being cool. I don't even like Ripper on anything else but that album was interesting.

But yeah man, Flame to the Ground Beneath - this is what I was looking for. I wanted to reconnect with some classic, ass-kicking PM I hadn't heard in a while and this kind of soaring, complex stuff is hitting a spot.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:09 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I thought Lost Horizon's whole "post-break-up-dude-with-office-job-has-masculinity-crisis" lyrical angle was lame. And poorly done. And I like Manowar.

Winter's Bane's debut is great! More King Diamond than anything else, but it plays very much in the Them/Conspiracy vein, albeit with slightly less outrageous guitar playing. I guess its relative obscurity is based on the fact that Ripper went on to bigger things and they just get mentioned as a footnote of his career.

No way, their lyrics are hilarious lol. And yeah Winter's Bane is solid.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:56 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

New Chevalier, Here ya go!

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:57 pm 

Destiny Calls is probably my trad/speed album of the year so far.

Pletwa Reborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:02 pm 

Hi
I'm looking for some common power metal but with small death metal vocal influences, like growl part in Unleash the archers but not in whole song. Please try to avoid typical MeloDeath songs like Raintime or Disarmonia Mundi. Thanks!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:45 pm 

Pletwa Reborn wrote:
Hi
I'm looking for some common power metal but with small death metal vocal influences, like growl part in Unleash the archers but not in whole song. Please try to avoid typical MeloDeath songs like Raintime or Disarmonia Mundi. Thanks!

try this

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 am 

Does anyone here have the 2016 Dissonance Productions CD reissue of Quartz' Against All Odds? I just got it brand new and sealed, and it always 'skips' at 2:09 on Silver Wheels, like there was some kind of manufacturing defect. The disc looks pristine, no scratches or fingerprints or anything, and I don't think its a bootleg. I'm wondering if anyone else who has this particular edition of the album has the same problem.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 am 

Pletwa Reborn wrote:
Hi

Not 100% power metal, but it could probably pass as power/progressive metal; Outworld's 2008 promo.

Pletwa Reborn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:34 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Pletwa Reborn wrote:
Hi

Not 100% power metal, but it could probably pass as power/progressive metal; Outworld's 2008 promo.

Thats great! You saved my life

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:27 am 

Brainstorm - Revenant Bonus track from Ambiguity, the verses are weirdly enough (for Brainstorm) in growling. Very nice song.

Gotta say, I love Brainstorm. They had lots of character in a time where many didn't, they did not follow the typical europower formulas despite being from Germany and they mixed it up left and right (occasional doom and thrash stuff thrown in the mix). For a time I was hopelessly hooked on Maharaja Palace, a power doom epic. And I love the Trinity of Lust trilogy from Soul Temptation.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:36 am 

I'm looking for power metal-ish bands in the vein of the modern bands like Beast In Black and Sabaton. I am NOT a fan of the genre, but I'd like to expand my knowledge in case a few fans of that kind of stuff enter the bar and I'm dj-ing.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:29 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for power metal-ish bands in the vein of the modern bands like Beast In Black and Sabaton. I am NOT a fan of the genre, but I'd like to expand my knowledge in case a few fans of that kind of stuff enter the bar and I'm dj-ing.

Battle Beast is the most obvious choice. I would also recommend Bloodbound on their last 2 (maybe 3) albums.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:06 pm 

So last night I dreamed Virgin Steele released a new track; it was backed up by a healthy production job. David DeFeis was singing fine again and the riffs switched between that ''Blood and Gasoline'' main riff and some midpaced black metal style thing. It sounded great. If only... :(

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:00 pm 

Someone should really invent a time machine and go back in time, abduct Marriage-era Virgin Steele, bring them to today, show them the classic albums and say, "There, you've already done that. Now come up with some new stuff!"

And do this with other bands whose songwriting skills have likewise fallen off a cliff.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:28 pm 

To the guy who wanted to hear vocalists similar to Matt Barlow a while back, I was listening to Falconer's 'The Sceptre of Deception' and Kristoffer Gobel's performance on that album actually sounds quite close to Barlow at times, he pulls off those deep, ominous wails pretty damn well and for a second I was like, "Wait was Matt Barlow on this album?" Check "The Trail of Flames" for one some strong examples of this - "Pledge for Freedom" has some similar moments as well.

And yeah, Virgin Steele is really the starkest and most tragic example of a complete decline, from the Marriage/Atreus albums all the way to the total, unmitigated dog shit of Ghost Harvest. Like, even the power metal bands who had big duds in the 90s (Jag Panzer's Dissident Alliance, Helstar's Multiples of Black, Crimson Glory's Strange and Beautiful) didn't fall nearly as far as Virgin Steele has. DeFeis is really just drowning his legacy under a huge pile of shit. Like, it's almost impressive how bad the most recent album is, if it weren't so terrible. I just don't want to think about what VS has become at this point. They released VoE and then split up, right? RIGHT?? >_>

In other news, I am excited for the BG solo project finally being released after being in the works for...23 years or so? I preordered my copy of the 4-disc CD set already. BG release albums so infrequently that I go completely apeshit when one finally comes out, and of course this one is special for having been teased at since I was a toddler. Since my other two favorite bands, VS and Manilla Road (RIP Mark) are done producing (remotely good) material, Blind Guardian is the one getting all my attention for the future!

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:37 pm 

I liked the last BG album so much that I wanted more heavy metal stuff. An orchestral album doesn't sound as appealing to me. But eh who knows, could be really good, sure.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:29 pm 

The last Blind Guardian album felt a lot like the last Nocturnal Rites album--good by every metric, but aside from a standout track or two, completely unmemorable. The Platonic Ideal of a 7/10 album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:08 pm 

I thought both had plenty of memorable songs.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:13 am 

After many listens I definitely don't find BtRM to be one of my favorite BG albums, but it's still quite good, mainly I still just totally dislike "The Ninth Wave" - it barely has any riffing at all and it's much more akin to the "usual" Europower fare than anything else I've heard from them (which might be why Emp doesn't take any issue with it), but otherwise I'd put it roughly on par with the last two - very little if anything mindblowing (in this case I do think "Grand Parade" is one of the best songs they've ever done, so I guess a *little* bit mindblowing), but generally still very solid and enjoyable overall. Not on par with the likes of SFB or IFTOS (or ANATO for me, but I'm aware that's a minority opinion), but I'd be perfectly happy to have another album of that quality with their next release - though I admit, given the longstanding hype for the orchestral project, my expectation are a little bit higher than that.

Also interested to see what the Demons & Wizards album, which is supposed to be out in 2020, will be like. I thought the first D&W album was great but the second one not so much, fairly mediocre outside of the standout track "Terror Train." No idea what quality to expect for the third album after a 15-year hiatus.

macmoney wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:47 pm 

Beyond the Red Mirror is the first thing they did since Imaginations that I wholeheartedly liked. It was more ornate/flowery than their really old stuff but also harder and heavier than anything else in years. "Ashes of Eternity," "Holy Grail," "The Throne," so many damn cool songs.

Personally I tried Demons and Wizards' first album and hated it. Couldn't finish it. Maybe I'll try it again and see if I just wasn't in the mood.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:03 am 

I'd like some heavy metal inspired by the likes of Roky Erickson! A bit the way 'Night Of The Demon' by Demon sounds like!

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:35 pm 

Hey folks, I'm looking for some heavy metal or uspm that ventures into that absurdly heavy, monstrously muscular territory like Skullview's "Legends of Valor", or like Cauldron Born's more axe-swinging moments. I know most of the obvious bands, probably, but any rec's would be much appreciated.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:53 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Hey folks, I'm looking for some heavy metal or uspm that ventures into that absurdly heavy, monstrously muscular territory like Skullview's "Legends of Valor", or like Cauldron Born's more axe-swinging moments. I know most of the obvious bands, probably, but any rec's would be much appreciated.

There are none better at this than Manowar themselves.

Get the debut.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:

The Gates of Slumber comes close with their albums 'Conqueror' and 'Hymns of Blood and Thunder.' I'd recommend the titular track from the latter album for one of the better examples of this. Maybe the Chicago Enforcer also, particularly for "absurdly heavy," a weird early power/doom mix. I think Salem's Lot also get pretty heavy and muscular on their sole demo. Then Sleepy Hollow are pretty muscular and also have moments that get heavy as fuck, "Freedom Condemned" is a good example of this.

Those are the main ones that come to mind with the sort of feel you're describing, hope you end up digging some of them!

Oh and also Tyrant's Too Late to Pray, for sure, if you haven't heard it, it kinda felt obvious to me though so I feel you likely have.

macmoney wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597, 598 ... 624  Next