Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:32 am 

lol at the tribbiani :D weedy: thin, bendy, weak like a weed :) try the Evangelist debut instead of DV :) muy bien starting point...

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:09 am 

Will do...

Speaking of greek epic metal earlier, this might interest some people. Black Sword Thunder Attack is an underground legend in Greece, a band that has been around for years but only produced a song, then almost a decade later a demo (a cult classic here), years later another promo and approx. half a decade later, finally their EP is coming out. With LOTS of people waiting for it for years.

They are an underground legend because one member is a prominent member of the underground epic scene here (big time collector, very funny dude, very opinionated and works at Eat Metal) and most importantly because they are 100% musical children of Bill Tsamis (who is, again, a holy cow since the 80s in Greece, way disproportionately compared to the rest of the world). Weird thing is it's not Warlord they mostly take after but particularly Lordian Guard. So, right now there is a big buzz in the greek underground with their release (sold physically at the Up the Hammers fest for the first time). Personally, I really like the songwriting but unlike some of my friends I would prefer a less "charming" and "cult" sound production and more a sound that highlights the melodies.

So, if you are interested in lyrical, epic Tsamis metal, Black Sword Thunder Attack might appeal. Good story anyway I think!

Black Sword Thunder Attack - March of the Damned

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:51 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
For me it's Into the Everflow first (Little People being my favorite Psychotic Waltz song, followed by the openers Ashes/Out of Mind) and I just think they peaked on that one. Not a great production but better than the debut (which is my second favorite obviously), tons of psychedelia and weirdness and uniqueness, the best Buddy Lackey, the best Rock/McAlpin leads (Into the Everflow, the song, oh the trips!...), it's just one of my favorite albums ever. They changed quite drastically after that but they always had the psychedelic weirdness and atmosphere, which one might argue is really toned down in the new one. I am still contemplating my friend's opinion and he was saying it was "too accessible and safe" for PW and while I love the album I can't help but conceding perhaps that point, although for 2020 and a comeback it's way more than anyone could have asked for.

Anyway, I am a sucker for vocalists with hyperbolic, theatrical performances, I think I've mentioned that before, (King, Midnight, early Dane, Rytkonen, Oliva, John Stewart, David Bower and so on),so I do miss the crazy Buddy but apparently Devon doesn't, at all.

I think the new one is less accessible than either of the final two from the 90s. I wouldn't agree that they toned down the atmosphere or psychedelic aspect - if anything it's this totally weird, enveloping atmosphere that sort of doesn't let you go for the entire runtime. I get sucked in. The layers of strange vocal harmonies and massive sludgy guitars are just mesmeric to me. I think the negative reaction from some, anyway, just comes down to hype after waiting 24 years.

Wolf is a pretty squarely traditional band and don't experiment, but they were around long before most bands doing that style now. I guess you could say it's generic, but nobody really sounded like that in the early 2000s.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:49 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Will do...

Speaking of greek epic metal earlier, this might interest some people. Black Sword Thunder Attack is an underground legend in Greece, a band that has been around for years but only produced a song, then almost a decade later a demo (a cult classic here), years later another promo and approx. half a decade later, finally their EP is coming out. With LOTS of people waiting for it for years.

They are an underground legend because one member is a prominent member of the underground epic scene here (big time collector, very funny dude, very opinionated and works at Eat Metal) and most importantly because they are 100% musical children of Bill Tsamis (who is, again, a holy cow since the 80s in Greece, way disproportionately compared to the rest of the world). Weird thing is it's not Warlord they mostly take after but particularly Lordian Guard. So, right now there is a big buzz in the greek underground with their release (sold physically at the Up the Hammers fest for the first time). Personally, I really like the songwriting but unlike some of my friends I would prefer a less "charming" and "cult" sound production and more a sound that highlights the melodies.

So, if you are interested in lyrical, epic Tsamis metal, Black Sword Thunder Attack might appeal. Good story anyway I think!

Black Sword Thunder Attack - March of the Damned

I was kinda heartbroken that the album they had been hinting about for years turned into an EP. I normally don't bother with EPs, especially if they're less than 30 minutes long, but I have already pre-ordered this from No Remorse Records (along with the new Dexter Ward, which has since been released). I have no idea what the troubles have been releasing the album / EP, and I figured I better get this EP while I can, who knows the next time the band releases something, particularly a full length.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am 

Adventure One by Throne Of Iron is promising. Lichspire is killer. sadly the rest of the album does not live up to it, but I can keep that one on repeat for an hour and I'll be very happy... not that it's a bad album overall.

https://throneofiron.bandcamp.com/album/adventure-one

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:01 pm 

Wait...there's a new Solitary Sabred and no one told me?!? Not even the band?! (They sent me a promo for their 2nd album. No actual hard feelings to them though of course.) I mean I know I'm a hermit, but...gaah! I know what I'm listening to this weekend! 2020 just keeps getting better and better!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:28 pm 

The new Wolf album (kick ass in its own right) had me going back to The Black Flame for the first time in a bit, and man this shit is so good. The huge pummeling guitar tone and creative riffs, the energetic drumming, the geeky/cool over the top lyrics, the unabashed vocal theatrics. It's essentially just a buffet line of cool features.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:04 pm 

Have y'all heard Serpent Lord from Greece? Pretty fucking great trad metal.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:10 pm 

I am looking for anthemic power metal in the vein of Brainstorm's album Midnight Ghost.

Any suggestions?

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:43 pm 

Anthemic? Manowar? Lost Horizon?
Otherwise their similar artists page seems alright. (Apart from Nocturnal Rites, they don't belong there.)

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 am 

https://youtu.be/ySAq0ffVLu4

New Sorcerer. Once again they deliver. Fantastic comeback all around. Swedish power/doom metal, with excellent vocals and guitar work. Highly recommended.

I am in my 6th day of quarantine, unfortunately with tons of work that is very hard to do from here (kids are a wonderful distraction but a distraction nevertheless), so I haven't commented on the Wolf yet. I've only managed to listen to it twice but I can already tell that the album will be very high on my list at the end of the year. There are 12 songs on the album, which I find unecessary, I would take out 3 songs easily, which are not great, not terrible but certainly spoil the excellence flow. Funnily enough one of the worst songs is the s/t one (and video). Highlights are difficult to pinpoint at the moment, as there are plenty and some of them are absolutely magnificent, I will mention The Raven which sent shivers down my spine from the first listen.

tl;dr: Wolf delivered.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:13 pm 

https://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.c ... /hereafter

Did anybody talk about this new Tyrant album set to come out in May yet?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:16 pm 

Firewind are down to a quartet, new singer (german again), new label, s/t album:

in a parallel universe, Gus gave this song to Ozzy and things happened very differently :)

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:49 am 

Empyreal wrote:
https://shadowkingdomrecords.bandcamp.com/album/hereafter

Did anybody talk about this new Tyrant album set to come out in May yet?

Oh hot damn, didn't know about that! Was just listening to Too Late to Pray a couple days ago! Fuck man, alongside PW and CU, another classic band to have their first album in 20+ years! That track is neat, definitely not as aggressive as I'd like, but they always did have a song or two that slowed things down a bit/were a bit softer (not quite an out and out "ballad"), so I'm hoping the rest of the album is a bit more amped. Definitely something to look forward to though, and it's not a bad track by any means! Pretty sick main riff. 2020 continues to deliver, for me it's easily the best year since 2015, if not longer! Was just listening to the new PW again when I read this, still an amazing album. <3

macmoney wrote:

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:49 pm 

I was just thinking, hey what happened to the falsetto, then I realised it's Rob Lowe rather than May. This sounds like a slightly doomier effort all round, but seems pretty good to me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:39 pm 

Yeah the new song is solid and Rob sounds suitable, seems to be trying to sound like Glen. It's a bit slower than I thought, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

edit: second listen... Rob's definitely not Glen, and the chorus ain't that great. But the riffs are cool and they keep it going well enough.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:51 pm 

I dig it (Hereafter)

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:30 pm 

Rob Lowe's voice deterioration is downright depressing. Very few could come close to his skill and ability to deliver emotion on the first two Solitude Aeturnus albums. He was chills inducing on that shit. I think he'll work for Tyrant but there are quite a few other vocalists that I would have enjoyed seeing them use above him in his current state.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:07 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urvlfNHp9G8

This new Cloven Hoof stuff is sounding pretty fucking good. Kinda sounds like Crystal Eyes a little - that kind of ultra-melodic metal with killer, dextrous vocal work.

Jamming Sultan's Ransom because of this too. Damn Russ North was good. This fucking guy had a serious talent. Shame he never seemed to go anywhere.

Speed Metal Terror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:20 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Rob Lowe's voice deterioration is downright depressing. Very few could come close to his skill and ability to deliver emotion on the first two Solitude Aeturnus albums. He was chills inducing on that shit. I think he'll work for Tyrant but there are quite a few other vocalists that I would have enjoyed seeing them use above him in his current state.

Robert Lowe's upper register complemented his ethereal disembodied spirit vocals nicely.

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:18 am 

I dunno, I saw Solitude Aeturnus maybe 3-4 years ago, and he sounded fine then. Maybe he's just inconsistent?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Have y'all heard Serpent Lord from Greece? Pretty fucking great trad metal.

Didn't notice this until tonight, guess I missed it between some of the other discussion. Damn this is some good shit! That riffage is of a caliber rarely seen these days. Excellent stuff for sure!

macmoney wrote:

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:49 pm 

I'm looking for some bands that have a sound similar to that of Sacred Oath on their debut album ...

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:09 am 

Khan Vozdig wrote:
I'm looking for some bands that have a sound similar to that of Sacred Oath on their debut album ...

Sanctuary's first album.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:10 pm 

I've loved that Sacred Oath album for the better part of 10 years, and I have yet to find anything I'd consider comparable.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:13 pm 

It's kind of like Number of the Beast/Powerslave Maiden mixed with Mercyful Fate styled vocals and song arrangements. Pretty wild shit.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:21 pm 

Khan Vozdig wrote:

I would say Blackstorm is pretty similar, probably the most similar thing I've come across. Check this out:

The singer isn't as enthusiastic/memorable as Rob, but it's still pretty decent stuff.

False Witness comes to mind, they're not as similar but sometimes they have similar guitar patterns I'd say, as well as dual vocals here and there. Try "Crestfallen King" (no YT link of the individual track, so go to 14:42):

I'd also recommend Talisphere, again not super close but I think the similarities are there, and they're a fantastic band (shame they only put out the one 3-song demo). Listen here: (Again only the full demo is on YT, so go to 5:02)

And actually, I would say the more recent Demon Bitch has some similarities as well, they're a bit more chaotic than Sacred Oath but some of their tracks come quite close to the overall sound:

Sadly it is a pretty unusual sound and there's really not much out there like it. It does sort of cement the album's unique status, but on the other hand, it would be cool to have more material in that vein. Hope you enjoy something out of those recs man!

macmoney wrote:

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:51 am 

Thanks for the recommendations everyone , I'll be sure to check them out !

Secret Glory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:10 pm 

Guys and gals, I call upon your infinite knowledge to help me find more power metal bands that I will love. I have found power metal bands in both the riffy USPM as well as the more Symphonic Euro Power style that I love, so I like both styles however finding bands that seem worth listening to is very hit and miss. Over the years what I realize what's most important to me with this genre is energy, great songwriting and powerful vocals.

Heres what I really like:

Blind Guardian - "Imaginations from the Other Side" is my favorite, perfect in almost every way.
Lost Horizon - First album is one of my all time favorites. The energy it has is palpable, Daniel Heiman's vocals are just insane.
Twisted Tower Dire - I think they count as USPM... "The Isle of Hydra" is just fantastic.
Crescent Shield - Great USPM, I love both of this band's albums.
Noble Beast - This is band's debut was just too good and it has no right to be this obscure. How are these guys not famous? It is very much everything I want in this style of power metal. Again the vocalist (Rob Jalonen) here does an amazing job, powerful and emotive where most are not.

Rhapsody - I have not delved too deep into listening to the releases of the various incarnations of this band, but I do like the early stuff like "Symphony of Enchanted Lands", and surprisingly I loved the Luca Turilli's "Prometheus..." album, its so over the top cinematic.
Galneryus - As you can see I'm also for symphonic excess and over the top neoclassical shredding, which J-power bands seem very good at doing.
Twilight Force - Nor am I ashamed admit I loved this band's first album. Just magical, their second is pretty great too though I do not like their new vocalist as much.
Versailles/Kamijo - See what I wrote about Galneryus. Grand, ornate symphonic power metal with unique vocals.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:33 pm 

Secret Glory wrote:
Guys and gals, I call upon your infinite knowledge to help me find more power metal bands that I will love. I have found power metal bands in both the riffy USPM as well as the more Symphonic Euro Power style that I love, so I like both styles however finding bands that seem worth listening to is very hit and miss. Over the years what I realize what's most important to me with this genre is energy, great songwriting and powerful vocals.

Blind Guardian - "Imaginations from the Other Side" is my favorite, perfect in almost every way.
Lost Horizon - First album is one of my all time favorites. The energy it has is palpable, Daniel Heiman's vocals are just insane.
Twisted Tower Dire - I think they count as USPM... "The Isle of Hydra" is just fantastic.
Noble Beast - This is band's debut was just too good and it has no right to be this obscure. How are these guys not famous? It is very much everything I want in this style of power metal. Again the vocalist (Rob Jalonen) here does an amazing job, powerful and emotive where most are not.

Rhapsody - I have not delved too deep into listening to the releases of the various incarnations of this band, but I do like the early stuff like "Symphony of Enchanted Lands", and surprisingly I loved the Luca Turilli's "Prometheus..." album, its so over the top cinematic.
Galneryus - As you can see I'm also for symphonic excess and over the top neoclassical shredding, which J-power bands seem very good at doing.
Twilight Force - Nor am I ashamed admit I loved this band's first album. Just magical, their second is pretty great too though I do not like their new vocalist as much.
Versailles/Kamijo - See what I wrote about Galneryus. Grand, ornate symphonic power metal with unique vocals.

I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn recommendations for you:

Mary's Blood - My favorite band of all time, let alone favorite power metal band.
Lovebites - Another extremely beloved Japanese power metal band, and quickly becoming another of my favorites.
Running Wild - If you haven't yet checked out Running Wild, well, now's the time, I guess.
Iron Savior - Pretty straightforward heavy/power metal. Fun, fast, and heavy--what more could you want?
Persuader - Quintessential heavy power metal.
Kamelot - Quintessential symphonic power metal.
Falconer - Awesome folk/power metal. Be mindful of the two middle albums without the original vocalist, as they're not great.
Visigoth - Balls-out heavy/power metal with some deliciously arcane atmosphere to it.
Tales of Evening - Excellent symphonic power metal, even if you understand not a single word of Hungarian.
Triosphere - Top-tier power metal with one of my favorite female vocalists of all time.
Solarus - More very solid symphonic power metal.
Black Majesty - Rock-solid power metal. One of Australia's best exports, if you ask me.
Thaurorod - One of the rising stars in Euro-power metal, for sure.
Power Theory - Excellent heavy/power metal. Vocalist amusingly sounds like the guy from Disturbed.
Seven Spires - Another great new symphonic power metal band with a phenomenal female vocalist.
Helion Prime - Sci-fi power metal boasting an incredible debut album.
Serenity - You want some deliciously cheesy Euro-power metal? You'll find it here in spades!
Crystal Eyes - Take Gamma Ray and Running Wild and put them in a blender, and this is what you get.
Scarleth - On the poppier side of power metal, but excellent nonetheless.
Aldious - Another popular Japanese power metal band. Always worth a look.
Pharaoh - Ponderous, epic power metal.
Keldian - Sci-fi symphonic power metal. Very fun and very unique.
Heavenly - Underrated Euro-power metal band from France. Too many sleep on them because of their name, I think.
Derdian - So i herd u liek rhapsody...
Ancient Bards - So i herd u liek rhap--wait, I did this joke already.
Borealis - Melodic prog/power metal. I really dig it.
Battle Beast - Super fun heavy/power metal.
Beast in Black - Super fun heavy/power metal from the guitarist of Battle Beast after they stopped being as fun.
A Sound of Thunder - Hit-or-miss as a band, but when they hit, they hit hard.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:12 pm 

Secret Glory wrote:

Angra - Temple of Shadows - required listening for Euro PM. Energetic power metal with composition influence from brazillian folk/traditional music

Helloween - The Time of the Oath. Get familiar with the founder of EUPM and examine how they layered elements from popular rock/prog rock with the core power metal sound to try to be more relevant around the world. The Keeper albums from the 80's are required listening.

Scanner - Hypertrace German power/speed sci-fi concept album

Nightmare - Cosmovision - here's a more obscure one that's really solid. French PM.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:28 pm 

Colin hipped me to Exises a while ago, and I finally got around to listening to the entirety of Reternity and it fucking rules. Imagine, like, Othyrworld meets Watchtower.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:37 pm 

Haha and I'm the one that hipped Colin to it! Just doing some searches on early prog metal albums. It's pretty sweet indeed. Need to give it some more listens, though it's tough with all this new stuff coming out this year to find time for it. Definitely enjoyed the first listen though, very spacey like Othyrworld, as you said. Not a lot of bands are able to pull off that vibe successfully.

macmoney wrote:

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:31 pm 

Yeah, it really holds up on repeated listens, too. The only track I'd really criticize is Realm of Darkness - it's not that a ballad in that spot is bad, per se, but it goes on too long for what it is (it really ought to have been about 3 minutes long).

Everything else fucking rips.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:04 am 

Hi! I'd like to receive some super catchy, medieval themed heavy metal in the vein of early Maiden!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:12 am 

I dunno how much you know of "HPS help thread metal", but that sounds like you're hankering from Omen and Brocas Helm.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:35 am 

This Cloven Hoof debut is killer. I had only heard this a few times years ago. It just has this genuine rawness and excitement factor you got with really old metal debuts. It's just so organic and lethal. "Return of the Passover" is just like they couldn't stop throwing killer riffs at you. It's just joyous really.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:49 pm 

Oh yeah, that's one of my absolute favorites. David Potter also made a surprising appearance as H-Bomb's vocalist for their To Feel Is Pain EP, seemingly trying his best not to sound at all like himself!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:56 pm 

It's funny that he left Cloven Hoof for that band which only had like one more recording with him before breaking up - but that's life sometimes I guess.

Russ North was always so good that I think I downplayed Potter when I was younger - but I was wrong back then.

Last edited by Empyreal on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:00 pm 

The best Cloven Hoof vocalist is the weird nasally dude they had on Fighting Back.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 599, 600, 601, 602, 603, 604, 605 ... 624  Next