Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but I've finally decided at this point to release a preliminary version of my Comprehensive Guide to USPM. It's not 100% done, but almost everything I still need to add is pretty minor. There's also the possibility I just forgot something, so feedback from anyone is greatly appreciated. If you do find this helpful, or think for any reason it's not helpful or could be done in a better way, please let me know! Thanks in advance to anyone who provides any kind of feedback, and I hope this helps some folks get into USPM/get into more obscure bands in the genre! Without further adieu, I present:

JOPHELERX'S COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO USPM

Good guide, but Fighting for the Earth is an immortal classic and you've undersold it here :P

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:41 pm 

I thought I'd thoroughly plumbed the depths of the genre, but there's a couple on there that are new to me so thanks! Always more to find and always welcome.

Pedantry corner - given the text, it seems Black Knight is filed under the wrong section.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:22 pm 

Malbordus wrote:
I thought I'd thoroughly plumbed the depths of the genre, but there's a couple on there that are new to me so thanks! Always more to find and always welcome.

Pedantry corner - given the text, it seems Black Knight is filed under the wrong section.

Haha, you're right, I mentioned why it wasn't filed with the demo compilations...and then put it with the demo compilations anyway! Fixed, thanks for pointing that out.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:15 pm 

Assuming no one else rates Angus as USPM? I guess you could call it like THE most muscular trad metal imaginable. I dunno. I lump em in. Really wish they would get added to YouTube Music. Black Death's album as well. Miss those so much.

(Obviously I know they're not from the US. And obviously Black Death aren't USPM I just love their album so so much)

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 am 

Its all pretty fuzzy definition-wise anyway. I seem to recall Ride Into Glory splitting epic metal from USPM resulting in Manilla Road falling into the former but not the latter which just feels odd. That's just the nature of these kinda umbrella terms, they can be malleable round the edges.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 pm 

We finally have an official announcement and a trailer for the new Pharaoh album! I absolutely cannot wait.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj3qa8i8m ... e=youtu.be

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:19 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Assuming no one else rates Angus as USPM? I guess you could call it like THE most muscular trad metal imaginable. I dunno. I lump em in. Really wish they would get added to YouTube Music. Black Death's album as well. Miss those so much.

(Obviously I know they're not from the US. And obviously Black Death aren't USPM I just love their album so so much)

I hadn't really thought about Angus as potentially being USPM before so I listened to the albums again with that in mind. I'd still say the first album is just really muscular heavy/speed metal, but the second album was giving me some serious Vicious Rumors vibes, so I added it to the guide! Thanks. Also, Black Death definitely rules but yeah as you said, not USPM.

Oblarg wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but I've finally decided at this point to release a preliminary version of my Comprehensive Guide to USPM. It's not 100% done, but almost everything I still need to add is pretty minor. There's also the possibility I just forgot something, so feedback from anyone is greatly appreciated. If you do find this helpful, or think for any reason it's not helpful or could be done in a better way, please let me know! Thanks in advance to anyone who provides any kind of feedback, and I hope this helps some folks get into USPM/get into more obscure bands in the genre! Without further adieu, I present:

JOPHELERX'S COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO USPM

Good guide, but Fighting for the Earth is an immortal classic and you've undersold it here :P

I've always wanted to like the album, it seems like something I'd be into on paper, I just feel it's lacking in the riff department. Vocals are super badass for sure.

macmoney wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:30 am 

Also, why have you not included The Dying Race from Crows? German band, but they had a lot of USPM-esque tendencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nk_SPZSsf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8pe7ZOf04

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:57 am 

For us who miss hearing Jonny Lindqvist sing on good albums: he's doing vocals on Johan Kihlberg's Impera's latest album, and it's great.
And as a bonus we get Snowy Shaw on drums. One of my favourite drummers ever. He should be drumming on all albums.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:22 pm 

Just stumbled upon a Dutch USPM sounding band named Masquerade. Based on what I'm sampling, this sounds pretty cool; obviously Crimson Glory-inspired, but I'm not complaining!

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:51 pm 

Sounds more Queensryche than Crimson Glory to me. A bunch of those riffs sound right out of Operation: Mindcrime, as do the vocal lines.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:27 am 

I'm sure I've heard Masquerade before but I'd forgotten about them. Forgot they were Dutch, too. Although they do sound more like Queensryche than Crimson Glory, they sound like a ripoff of Lethal if anything - shit sounds really, really close to Programmed, albeit even more muscular. Not sure why I hadn't downloaded this the last time I heard it, this is pretty cool.

colin040 wrote:
Also, why have you not included The Dying Race from Crows? German band, but they had a lot of USPM-esque tendencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nk_SPZSsf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8pe7ZOf04

As you may have noticed, the 'USPM from outside the US/Canada' section of my guide is pretty short. That's because I only included bands I was already very familiar with, as it's a bit hard to compile a list of "power metal bands that might be sort of close to US-ish" out of all non-American power metal bands. I'd end up thinking "eh...maybe this sounded US-ish, better check," and would've had a list longer than a CVS receipt (probably only Americans will get the joke but suffice it to say the list would be prohibitively long). I do know Crows but it's not a favorite or anything so it never came to mind. Again one I never thought of as USPM but I'm going to check that along with Dream Child and the first Saber Tiger album in more detail sometime this weekend. Been working a shitload lately as we had someone quit so I've had even less time than usual to go through music.

macmoney wrote:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:31 pm 

Okay, so, relistened to the Crows album, and my ultimate verdict is that it's mostly progressive metal mixed with German power metal. There is some USPM influence here and there, and the title track almost sounds like it could be out of a Helstar album, but most of the songs sound like old-school prog metal to me and the ones that don't, barring the title track, sound distinctly German/European. So I'm not going to add it to the list, though it is quite enjoyable and it probably grew on me a bit more even with that listen.

Dream Child I listened to about as much as I could handle. Man, I do not like this album at all besides that one track you linked. There are some cool parts here and there, but it's buried under that slick, poppy modern prog atmosphere I strongly dislike. What USPM influence I do detect is very much in the vein of Queensryche, but even if that influence is strong enough, this is not something I'd recommend to others.

Haven't gotten to Saber Tiger yet, I am planning to listen to that tomorrow. I'll update again once I've gone through it.

macmoney wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:28 am 

Jophelerx wrote:

Dream Child I listened to about as much as I could handle. Man, I do not like this album at all besides that one track you linked. There are some cool parts here and there, but it's buried under that slick, poppy modern prog atmosphere I strongly dislike. What USPM influence I do detect is very much in the vein of Queensryche, but even if that influence is strong enough, this is not something I'd recommend to others.

No idea where you get slick, poppy modern prog atmosphere from...they don't sound like fucking Dream Theater or anything. :p Sure, it's no endless riffing experience, but to me it's riff-driven enough to make a lasting impression. Not a fan of those faster songs either, I guess?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 am 

colin040 wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

No idea where you get slick, poppy modern prog atmosphere from...they don't sound like fucking Dream Theater or anything. :p Sure, it's no endless riffing experience, but to me it's riff-driven enough to make a lasting impression. Not a fan of those faster songs either, I guess?

"Train of Fools" had a cool main riff but they kept interrupting it with the lame acoustic sections over and over, and that was the only cool riff in the song. "Same Old Song" and "Torn Between Two Worlds" just sucked. "Eternal Flight" was cool but being bookended by those two shitty tracks made it too much for me to go further. Even the original track you linked has that lame acoustic section in the middle that ruins the momentum, wasn't as enjoyable on a second listen. That's 1 cool track, 1 okay track, 1 "mweh" track, and two shitty tracks out of the first five...eh, no thanks. I may have been a little hyperbolic but "Same Old Song" and "Torn Between Two Worlds" absolutely have a slick, poppy prog atmosphere to my ears.

EDIT: Okay, so I just finished listening to Saber Tiger's Invasion and my reaction is basically the complete opposite of Dream Child. Holy FUCKBALLS this rules. Every song is great outside of "Liberate," though a couple of them do run a tad longer than necessary. Even with those slight issues though, my initial reaction is to give the album around a 90%. This thing has RIFTS in full force and has a neoclassical flourish that rivals anything similar I've heard in the genre barring Helstar or Cauldron Born. I'm definitely going to have to dig back into this band more, this just blew me away a lot more than I expected, especially after Dream Child being disappointing. Added to the guide.

macmoney wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 pm 

We just have different ideas of what poppy prog means, but I'm glad that you enjoy that Saber Tiger album at least! It's my favorite of the band too and the riffs are mostly fuckin' great. That said, the band released plenty of ''ehh'' albums later and besides that debut, I just stick with the 2011-2015 albums (including Paragraph IV, which has some fantastic re-done versions of older songs).

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:28 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
We finally have an official announcement and a trailer for the new Pharaoh album! I absolutely cannot wait.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj3qa8i8m ... e=youtu.be

Same! It's hard to believe that Bury the Light came out in 2012. I was going through some life changes that year and that album was the soundtrack to them.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:18 pm 

Slauter Xstroyes - Winter Kill

Posted this in the reissue thread but deserves to be here as well. Get this reissue of the cult heavy metal classic while you can. 3 bonus tracks and limited to just 500 copies. Snap it up before it dissappear's again and go's back to stupid prices.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:43 pm 

New Pharaoh song Lost in the Waves...it's pretty good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:58 pm 

Crimson Glory is definitely a band I wish had released way more stuff... that kind of massive sense of groove and melody is so damn exquisite and there's not much like it out there. Very talented writers and I even mean the latter two albums they did. This kind of mastery of an idiosyncratic style just demanded a full career like Maiden, Queensryche, etc.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Crimson Glory is definitely a band I wish had released way more stuff...

you might like the Lord Bane album, too...

Spoiler: show

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:47 pm 

Very interesting stuff - much more proggy than CG is. They don't have those ironclad rock hooks and grooves. But this is definitely its own unique weird U.S. metal thing.

Deathwish238
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:02 am 

Are there any bands that sound very similar to Blind Guardian?

What about Falconer?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:34 am 

For Blind Guardian, the most obvious is Savage Circus, whose first album features former Blind Guardian drummer Thomen Stauch and whose vocalist Jens Carlsson is a Hansi soundalike. Carlsson's other band, Persuader, isn't far from Blind Guardian either. I'd recommend their first album, The Hunter. The Russian band Shadow Host also sounds pretty close to Blind Guardian, at least on their Bringer of Revenge album, which is the only one I've heard. A lot of people also say that Judicator sounds a lot like Blind Guardian, though personally I don't hear more than a passing resemblance.

macmoney wrote:

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:57 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some really good power metal about European mythology/folk lore? something with long 6+ minute songs, and even including a lot of acoustic guitar and potentially synth, keyboards, etc. I need something to game to Valheim too, if anyone knows of anything suitable.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:54 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some really good power metal about European mythology/folk lore? something with long 6+ minute songs, and even including a lot of acoustic guitar and potentially synth, keyboards, etc. I need something to game to Valheim too, if anyone knows of anything suitable.

Not exactly power metal, but maybe give Atlantean Kodex a try?

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:32 am 

That's actually pretty good man, thank you. Also been getting into Ensiferum today, if you or anyone else knows any other bands that like to play a bit longer songs.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:25 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
That's actually pretty good man, thank you. Also been getting into Ensiferum today, if you or anyone else knows any other bands that like to play a bit longer songs.

You'll probably dig both of these bands:

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:08 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

Wouldn't Primordial work for this?

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:31 am 

All those bands are killer dudes, thank you. All of them are going into my playlist :evil: :headbang:

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:52 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

Equilibrium. Sagas is killer.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:30 pm 

Was looking for Crimson Glory videos on YouTube and then stumbled upon this random band. Despite them not sounding like Crimson Glory, I was not disappointed.

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:31 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:

Posted this in the reissue thread but deserves to be here as well. Get this reissue of the cult heavy metal classic while you can. 3 bonus tracks and limited to just 500 copies. Snap it up before it dissappear's again and go's back to stupid prices.

Cheers buddy, postie has just delivered my copy.

Deathwish238
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:42 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
For Blind Guardian, the most obvious is Savage Circus, whose first album features former Blind Guardian drummer Thomen Stauch and whose vocalist Jens Carlsson is a Hansi soundalike. Carlsson's other band, Persuader, isn't far from Blind Guardian either. I'd recommend their first album, The Hunter. The Russian band Shadow Host also sounds pretty close to Blind Guardian, at least on their Bringer of Revenge album, which is the only one I've heard. A lot of people also say that Judicator sounds a lot like Blind Guardian, though personally I don't hear more than a passing resemblance.

Based, thank you. Will check them out.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:19 pm 

Malbordus wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:

Cheers buddy, postie has just delivered my copy.

Awesome. Mine turned up bloody quick. This is the third reissue (I've bought them all over the last 20 something years!) and it's the best so far, nicely done thanks to Cult Metal Classics. Incredible one off album, so unique and creative, one of the greats.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:07 pm 

So I've only heard a couple tracks so far, but Fallen Angel's 2018 album Cast out of Heaven is giving me some serious (Legends of Valor-era) Skullview vibes. Vocalist sounds a lot like Quimby, and it has the crushing guitar tone (though not *quite* as crushing as Skullview), simple, heavy-as-fuck riffs, and repetitive yet metal to the bone song structures. Some of the coolest USPM I've heard from the last few years. Check out this track:

EDIT: Also, listening to Damien Thorne's second album, Wrath of Darkness, and holy hell, despite the genre tag of 'heavy/speed metal,' this is technical, progressive USPM-ish stuff with some crazy bass work, brings to mind Cauldron Born and Slauter Xstroyes at times, though in some ways even more out there, with a sort of jammy feel, maybe closer to Brothers Grimm. The fourth track, "Faith in Death," gives a good example of what I mean (starts at 12:58):

macmoney wrote:

Bertuccia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:24 pm 

I've seen that exists the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal. But most of riffs are similar to existing band.
Is that a copy-paste genre or does exist some original band?
I like that sound, is happy, powerful, but is mandatory that it has always the same riffs?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:14 pm 

They're on the Archives now, so check out Sommo Inquisitore for some serious old school, bizarre stuff... https://sommoinquisitore.bandcamp.com/releases

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:45 pm 

Might be able to help more if you give us some examples of what NWOTHM bands you like and what bands you don't like.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:18 am 

I think Eternal Champion are pretty original with their combination of epic uspm and metalcore.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 608, 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614 ... 624  Next