Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:40 pm 

Just out of curosity - what is the consensus regarding Jag Panzer's "The Fourth Judgement"? I personally love parts ot it - energetic, great vocals and some pounding riffage!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:23 pm 

It's their best. Much thanks to Joey Tafolla.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:24 pm 

Opus wrote:
It's their best. Much thanks to Joey Tafolla.

Really? Not "Ample Destruction"? Why would you consider that album their best?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:12 am 

My second favorite JP album. Extremely pleased when it was released, a very difficult time for heavy metal in general, so to get such a great album was a treat. I still listen to it regularly. Black, Shadow Thief and Judgement Day are simply superb. And although Tafolla just popped in and recorded all his solos in a manner of hours, his work on this album is one of my favorites, phenomenal! That fluid legato sound...

I believe most fans of Jag Panzer regard the album very highly.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:50 am 

I have seen great reviews on that one and I did listen to it pretty regularly years ago. I remember liking it and I only wished that some of the tracks would be faster. I see there are two versions of the album - the initial 1997 pressing and the 2007 reissue with bonus demo tracks and that one is remastered. Does anybody have any experience with the remaster? Did they ruin the sound or better it? Or no change?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:57 pm 

Can someone recommend power metal bands that use blast beats? I've been listening to a lot of Falconer lately and they do that, which seems like it wouldn't work with their melodic/folky style but it does brilliantly.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:51 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Can someone recommend power metal bands that use blast beats? I've been listening to a lot of Falconer lately and they do that, which seems like it wouldn't work with their melodic/folky style but it does brilliantly.

There are some songs where Sacred Steel goes toward a death metal/blast beat-type structure. These are not classical blast beats but check out some of the later albums.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:19 pm 

Zdan wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

There are some songs where Sacred Steel goes toward a death metal/blast beat-type structure. These are not classical blast beats but check out some of the later albums.

I'm not hearing any...

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:41 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Zdan wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I'm not hearing any...

My bad and sorry. I thought these might be something you are looking for. Sorry for the confusion.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:23 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

Dragonforce has used them pretty frequently throughout their career. Fury of the Storm would be a good place to start.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:06 pm 

Thanks, but I guess I should have specified, I'm looking for lesser-known bands. I've been listening to power metal for 20 years so I'm familiar with the big names.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:15 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Thanks, but I guess I should have specified, I'm looking for lesser-known bands. I've been listening to power metal for 20 years so I'm familiar with the big names.

Ah my bad. Figured with the Falconer name drop that you were looking for things in that vein.

I looked through my collection and didn't find anything obscure that fit the bill. I believe both Cellador and Pathfinder use blast beats though. I also might be misremembering but I feel like Thaurorod has a song or two with them?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:59 pm 

Persuader ain't afraid of blast beats, but they're also pretty well-known, so eh.

Maybe something on the periphery of power metal like Satan's Host or Seven Spires?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:17 am 

You've definitely heard them but for the sake of any newbies looking for blasting power, Kiuas did it a fair amount on their debut before somehow getting the idea that people liked their ploddy arena jams more. Dark at Dawn drop a few on their last one.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:15 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

Cellador had made use of them on their debut album.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:47 pm 

I've been on a Slough Feg kick lately and I'm looking for bands similar in style to them. I love both their early, traditional metal style and their later retro/proto metal albums so bands that sound like either are fine with me.

I'm already familiar with bands that they commonly get compared to like Manilla Road, Brocas Helm and early Iron Maiden(obviously).

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:24 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
You've definitely heard them but for the sake of any newbies looking for blasting power, Kiuas did it a fair amount on their debut before somehow getting the idea that people liked their ploddy arena jams more. Dark at Dawn drop a few on their last one.

Thanks! Hadn't heard them before. I dig the music but something about the vocals ruin it for me. But they remind me a bit of Thaurorod, who also have blast beats.

Demon Fang wrote:
Cellador had made use of them on their debut album.

Ohh yeah I bought that album when it first came out but I haven't listened in years. Thanks!

MeavyHetal wrote:
I've been on a Slough Feg kick lately and I'm looking for bands similar in style to them. I love both their early, traditional metal style and their later retro/proto metal albums so bands that sound like either are fine with me.

I'm already familiar with bands that they commonly get compared to like Manilla Road, Brocas Helm and early Iron Maiden(obviously).

Have you listened the first three Hammers of Misfortune albums? Those contain both Scalzi and Cobbett, who are responsible for the best Slough Feg albums. So those are definitely similar, but more on the proggy side. I've also been obsessed with Mega Colossus recently, who give me really strong Slough Feg vibes: https://music.meltedfaces.com/album/riptime

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:40 pm 

Sommo Inquisitore's album from last year is a similarly quirky riff based sort of band - doesn't really sound identical to SF but I think people who like one would like the other. It's the general sense of unconventional songwriting.

Oh and Antiquus qualifies - another band with that sense of weird, chunky riffs and songwriting. Brilliant stuff. The Eleutheria album even has a similar spacey guitar tone to 'Traveller': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU7YFqt7dUk

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:37 am 

Looking for some power metal bands(or songs) singing in other language than English, preferably German or Finnish.

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:52 am 

Falconer has songs in Swedish on Northwind (Himmel Sa Trind), Among Beggars and Thieves (Vargaskall, Viddernas Man and Skula, Skorpa, Skalk) and From A Dying Ember (Bland Sump Och Dy) and an album sung entirely in Swedish, Armod.

They are also a fantastic band.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:57 pm 

thePowermetalLynx wrote:
Looking for some power metal bands(or songs) singing in other language than English, preferably German or Finnish.

[Japan intensifies]

Mary's Blood, Nemophila, X-Japan, Galneryus, Light Bringer, Jupiter, Aldious, Bridear, and Fate Gear.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:53 pm 

thePowermetalLynx wrote:

I guess you are familiar with Teräsbetoni? Villieläin is also sometimes described as "power metal", but they had a weird mixture of styles (which I personally loved, but the record-buying public, not so much)

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:37 am 

interstellar_medium wrote:
I guess you are familiar with Teräsbetoni? Villieläin is also sometimes described as "power metal", but they had a weird mixture of styles (which I personally loved, but the record-buying public, not so much)

yeah it wad because Teräsbetoni I am asking this question lol

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:00 am 

thePowermetalLynx wrote:
interstellar_medium wrote:

yeah it wad because Teräsbetoni I am asking this question lol

I see :) They're sort of unique in that regard. PM in German is also next to non-existent...

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:34 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:

I'm not the biggest Slough Feg addict (I do like some of their albums but I've never been a fanboy or anything), but I would say some Crescent Shield songs definitely give me a similar vibe in the riffing department. this song probably the most so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7U0eBeboNQ Definitely a bit more subtle similarity, but then nobody really sounds exactly like Slough Feg anyway.

I think Tales of Medusa has some similarities to Slough Feg as well, though they've definitely got some doom influence and tend to rely on simpler riffing patterns overall. While I personally prefer their first album, I think the second is a bit faster/more energetic and may be more to your liking. Here's a good track to try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgAU7hJAhtQ

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:27 pm 

I have to rant for a little bit but that Tales of Medusa situation pisses me off a little. Like - why limit your reception to people who only listen to vinyl or tape? I get being independent or DIY - that is all fine and dandy but people still listen to CD's. Why not press-up 300 copies of each album and sell them yourself? I guarantee those would sell.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:12 am 

In other news - Mirror released a new track of their upcoming album and of course it is great!

Here is the song:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:42 pm 

Sounds a bit rawer and also less 70s than the last album. Something about em just works - cool fucking band.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Sounds a bit rawer and also less 70s than the last album. Something about em just works - cool fucking band.

Yup. The riffs deliver and the vocals are great in terms of melody!

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:06 pm 

Mirror are so fucking good. The vocals keep getting better, too!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:33 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Mirror are so fucking good. The vocals keep getting better, too!

Funny because they were awesome in the previous album too. And now they sound even better. I love all of those NWOBHM and 70's influences.

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:25 pm 

Woah, that sounds REALLY good. First exposure to this band, thanks! Gona keep an eye out for sure.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:51 pm 

Zdan wrote:
I have to rant for a little bit but that Tales of Medusa situation pisses me off a little. Like - why limit your reception to people who only listen to vinyl or tape? I get being independent or DIY - that is all fine and dandy but people still listen to CD's. Why not press-up 300 copies of each album and sell them yourself? I guarantee those would sell.

I agree, though I personally don't really care much about having a physical CD, I'd be fine with an official download to buy on bandcamp or something. My rip of the first album is quite good actually, the second is a little muddier and I would happily snap up either or both on a sanctioned digital or CD release.

However! When I looked back at the band page, I realized they put out a new demo tape last year, their first release in over a decade. Listening to it now (it's on YouTube), and it does not disappoint. A bit hard to give a final verdict as their stuff always tends to grow on me but the spark is clearly still there. I thought the project was done for sure, so that was a pleasant surprise. Everything regarding the band would of course, be 10x better without all the weird Luddite shit or whatever their motivation is for not giving their albums a proper release.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:37 pm 

What beginning albums would you personally recommend for the following bands:

Dio
Thin Lizzy
Judas Priest
Scorpions

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:50 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
What beginning albums would you personally recommend for the following bands:

Dio
Thin Lizzy
Judas Priest
Scorpions

Dio - Holy Diver
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Judas Priest - You''ll get a variety of answers for this one, but my answer is Sad Wings of Destiny.
Scorpions - For their more "classic" era Blackout, but my fav would be Virgin Killer (also Fly to the Rainbow but not as a beginning album as they have no other albums like it).

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:03 pm 

Not familiar enough with Dio, but Holy Diver is the one I always hear about.

Don't know Thin Lizzy at all.

For Judas Priest, probably Defenders of the Faith, although Painkiller makes a hell of an impression. Sad Wings is also a good choice.

For Scorpions, I'd say Crazy World. Probably a sentimental choice, as it was intro to the band and to heavy music in general, but I'll stand by it.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:15 am 

Psst! Empy! There's a new Sanhedrin album out.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:55 am 

As usual Sanhedrin delivers. Great live band too!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:40 pm 

Sounds good so far. Very solid, unpretentious rocking - cool gritty guitars and the vocals are as charismatic as ever.

The "Lost at Sea" song they released first has this really smooth almost poppy chorus, and that's what I wish more new trad bands would go for, some bigger hooks.

First impression - The Poisoner probably had stronger highlights but this one's their most consistent yet. "Code Blue" and "Scythian Woman" were my favorites so far.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:36 pm 

This one feels more down-to-the-bone rocking. The Poisoner I feel was more metallic and more upfront. This one is a little laid back but still rocks those melodies in an excellent way.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 613, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618, 619 ... 624  Next