* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:02 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
DGYDP wrote:
I'll check these bands out but it'll take a very long time to do all of those, haha. Thanks!
Liking Crimson Glory so far.

Imagine if they were a bit heavier and more aggressive, that's basically Apollo Ra.

I'm surprised he hadn't heard Crimson Glory yet. :scratch: Who the fuck hears Oracle before Crimson Glory?

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:13 pm 

I had heard them before, but didn't thought it was anything special (that was before I liked USPM) ... in fact I've heard a lot of the bands mentioned before (including Apollo Ra, which I'm checking out again now) but didn't think highly of them the first time because I just wasn't into the genre back then.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:05 pm 

So does anyone know any bands similar to Tad Morose, Morgana Lefay, Angel Dust and Brainstorm? I am basically looking for heavy, chunky Prog/Power that relies on strong riffs and melodies instead of Dream Theater/Rush/Fates Warning worship, to create a powerful, memorable sound. I know of Enola Gay, and I plan on checking them out soon, but are there any others of this style that I've overlooked? Can be modern or '80s, doesn't matter.

And while I'm here, you guys should check out Brainstorm's Ambiguity if you haven't already. It isn't really Prog like the rest of those bands could be at times, but goddamn it I rarely ever hear music so energetic and fun that isn't from the 1980s.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:18 pm 

Eidolon maybe? Bleh, you're better with that stuff than me. :P

Tadd Morose is pretty out there I'd say, haven't heard a lot of bands quite like them. I guess Angel Dust is kind of similar, though I never really got into them, same with everything Lefay.

I'd say Eidolon is more along the lines of Brainstorm. But yeah, you've probably heard of them. RAM is nice too, but that's kind of a random suggestion.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:19 pm 

I've never heard Eidolon, which is weird because I know that Nils K. Rue is with them now and I used to be a huge Pagan's Mind fanboy. :p But yeah thanks, I forgot about them.

rustyslacker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:04 am 

I just discovered Wizard. OH MY GOD I HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT ALL MY LIFE. True metal to the max.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:27 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I've never heard Eidolon, which is weird because I know that Nils K. Rue is with them now and I used to be a huge Pagan's Mind fanboy. :p But yeah thanks, I forgot about them.

In that case, I would say check out Coma Nation. It's not Nils K. Rue on vocals, but that's usually the one album from them that stands out the most for me. It's a big more aggressive and faster, but you might dig their other stuff. Kind of a shame they stopped being active for the sake of ... Megadeth. :ugh: (with the two Drovers' being in Megadeth I believe).

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:49 am 

Just curious. Power Metal was never in my field, but if i were to get a listen to it more, do i browse through bands from Italy? Seems like Italy is the country the produced good power metal bands...

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:54 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Just curious. Power Metal was never in my field, but if i were to get a listen to it more, do i browse through bands from Italy? Seems like Italy is the country the produced good power metal bands...
No, it's the US.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:03 am 

Any good recommendation for EPIC POWER METAL?
Currently listening to Battleroar... And I like what I'm listening... Is there a sub-genre for power metal?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:03 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

In that case, I would say check out Coma Nation. It's not Nils K. Rue on vocals, but that's usually the one album from them that stands out the most for me. It's a big more aggressive and faster, but you might dig their other stuff. Kind of a shame they stopped being active for the sake of ... Megadeth. :ugh: (with the two Drovers' being in Megadeth I believe).

I am getting it now. This might be exactly what I was looking for.

edit: Great riffs, vocals are kind of boring.

edit again: man this vocalist sucks, I guess I will just dl the album with Rue on it. :p Great music though.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:32 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Currently listening to Battleroar... And I like what I'm listening... Is there a sub-genre for power metal?

"Epic metal" is just a term, and not a very good one, since "epic" can mean different things for everyone. BUT, if you like Battleroar, then definitely check out Manilla Road, especially The Deluge and Crystal Logic. Rebellion's (from Germany) newest album, Miklagard, is also quite "epic", I think you might like it.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:15 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I am getting it now. This might be exactly what I was looking for.

edit: Great riffs, vocals are kind of boring.

edit again: man this vocalist sucks, I guess I will just dl the album with Rue on it. :p Great music though.

Hmm, yeah you're right. He seems pretty monotone... I've heard far worse, but he definitely doesn't add much. But yeah, it's mainly the riffs and whatnot that stuck out for me. I don't think I have the album with Nils on it, but looking at the reviews maybe I should check that one out too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:17 pm 

I heard one song with Nils on it, and the vocals gave the music much more charisma and power.

Slasherzeta
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:31 pm 

Figured I should post this in here instead of in a topic of its own.

I would Like more metal Like Dark Empire (US). BY that I mean an awesome ballsy singer, with awesome, though sparing use of Death Growls, with bad ass guitar work and an epic feel, and awesome lyrics, that may have some cheese, but present it in a bad ass way.

And NO BAL-SAGOTH (Which I dislike)

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:12 pm 

Slasherzeta wrote:

I would Like more metal Like Dark Empire (US). BY that I mean an awesome ballsy singer, with awesome, though sparing use of Death Growls, with bad ass guitar work and an epic feel, and awesome lyrics, that may have some cheese, but present it in a bad ass way.

Sounds like you might like Cage or Brainstorm.

Slasherzeta
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:14 pm 

Have Cage, not what I'm really looking for, but will look into brainstorm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:15 pm 

Get Angel Dust's Enlighten the Darkness and Bleed. And Symphony X's last two albums will be up your alley. Persuader, too, but I bet you know them since the vocalist is the same as that of Dark Empire.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
So does anyone know any bands similar to Tad Morose, Morgana Lefay, Angel Dust and Brainstorm? I am basically looking for heavy, chunky Prog/Power that relies on strong riffs and melodies instead of Dream Theater/Rush/Fates Warning worship, to create a powerful, memorable sound.

Try Symphorce. One of the Brainstorm guys fronts this band. Try their latest Become Death...like a more modern Brainstorm. The song Darkness Fills The Sky is like Brainstorm meets Nevermore. Ancient Prophecies is my other favorite tune on the album. The verses of Condemned sound exactly like Cryptic Writings-era Megadeth. Mustaine clone for sure. And try their previous record Godspeed...not as modern-sounding. Quite similar though, but less "dark" I guess.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:24 pm 

Man, these guys are horrible at writing riffs. Music as a whole is decent, and pretty catchy, just too tame and diluted for my taste.

edit: The two tracks on their Myspace from the album Godspeed are pretty fucking bad. I think I'll skip that one. Thank you for the rec though.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:52 am 

With Symphorce, the only material worth bothering with are the first 2 albums. They turned to crap after that. "Sinctuary" is pretty good album (nothing mindblowing though).

Vulture_Helsing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:26 am 

What about some super super speedy power metal?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:57 am 

Hibria, I guess.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:16 pm 

Despite the weak production, Black Reign's demo (with John Cyriis) is actually pretty badass, especially the epic "Aphrodite's Throne". Have you heard this one yet, Xeogred?

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Dude, their cover of The Oath is amazing. Nils sounds EXACTLY like old school KD on that track.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:27 pm 

Vulture_Helsing wrote:
What about some super super speedy power metal?

Manticora for speed/power/progressive/thrash... Very fast.
Cellador for cheesy, semi-DragonForce minus keys power metal.
Angra is fast but also a bit 'folksy' and quite interesting. Try Temple of Shadows or Rebirth.
Power Quest for really cheesy power metal.
Aquaria is quite fast at times at least on Shambala.

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:20 pm 

You cant go wrong with mercyful fate.
:hail:

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:21 pm 

Lorid is a little power metal. There vocals dont align in to the power metal scheme, but the rest does.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:25 pm 

Cellador and Manticora are pretty lame.

Burning in Hell and Angra are good though. Burning in Hell is a way better DragonForce ripoff band.

edit: Nils K. Rue can always sound like King Diamond, just check the re-issue of their debut. :p RISE, RIIIIIISE!

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:52 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Despite the weak production, Black Reign's demo (with John Cyriis) is actually pretty badass, especially the epic "Aphrodite's Throne". Have you heard this one yet, Xeogred?

Wow, I swear I had this!?!?!

I'm liking it but damn, this production hurts Cyriis... :ugh:

Wow, what the hell, I swear I had like everything with Cyriis. Weird. Looks like I need to get Pontius Prohpet and Steller Seed again.

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:01 am 

Hey guys. I'm looking for some really heavy speed/power/thrash - along the lines of Persuader, Paradox, Agent Steel, Liege Lord, even Manticora. Mainly clean vocals with heavy riffs. One thing I've always loved is when bands often have a part in a song where all of the music cuts out - and just the guitar can be heard for a short while, playing a riff. Bands that do this a lot are preferred. Thanks =P.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 am 

BurningASinner wrote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for some really heavy speed/power/thrash - along the lines of Persuader, Paradox, Agent Steel, Liege Lord, even Manticora. Mainly clean vocals with heavy riffs. One thing I've always loved is when bands often have a part in a song where all of the music cuts out - and just the guitar can be heard for a short while, playing a riff. Bands that do this a lot are preferred. Thanks =P.

Attacker's "The Second Coming" is like "Master Control's" cousin. Very thick production too.

Kind of. :thumbsup:

Paradox is kind of oddball out of that list if you ask me, so I'll throw an odd one out myself: Vendetta (Ger). Their first album (mainly) for some reason reminds me a lot of Paradox, maybe you'll dig it. "Go And Live... Stay And Die."

The_Midget
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:20 am 

Im like the cheesy stuff. Any recomendations? Also anything that uses a fair amount of keyboards/synthesisers would be good as well

rudo888
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:41 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:

Actually, I have been writing quite a bit about this type of Metal on my blog, and even include a homemade mix CD. Check it out at:

http://rudo888.blogspot.com

There is quite a bit of Traditional EPIC Metal coming out of Greece and Italy, along with the US. The scene is becoming bigger!

Give Me 8 Cents,
Rudo

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:47 am 

Slasherzeta wrote:

Check out Dark Empire's vocalist's other two bands, Persuader and Savage Circus, if you haven't already, pretty much fitting to the description you gave.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 pm 

Okay I'm looking for something fairly specific...

Does anyone know a band like Wrath, but less thrashy and more in the vein of later Anvil in terms of speed and melody?

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:59 pm 

I'm looking for power metal that is keyboard heavy, but still makes good use out of guitars.
Preferably similar to Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings or Firewind's Burning Earth.
Thanks in advance!

Sefirosu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 pm 

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned either of these yet, but both Running Wild and Alestorm are (IMO) Excellent power-metal bands- and pirate themed at that! Dragonforce's first album, "Valley of The Damned" is actually quite good, as it doesn't repeat much, and doesn't try to focus on blinding, face-melting speed. And for anyone who hasn't heard, their latest album is to be titled "Ultra Beatdown." It even has a track titled "Heartbreak Armageddon." Lots of lolz, but i'm still crossing my fingers that it doesn't suck.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:36 am 

I've got a question regarding Damien Thorne's debut "Sign of the Jackal", if anyone here may know. I know Gutterscream's review notes that the production is terrible, the rip I have (from TM) definitely displays that as well. Though I noticed there's a difference between the tracks I have and their songs up on their myspace, so I'm thinking the rip might even be a little worse. I googled a bit and couldn't find another rip or anything that was different than TM's. Does anyone have an actual copy of the album?

Pretty interested I guess. It's definitely one of the coolest albums I've ever heard. But hey, if I can I'd love to get my hands on a real physical copy of the album myself (wonder how the re-issue was by Iron Glory?) I'd definitely be up for that... if I can find it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:02 pm 

New stuff listened to today:

Eldritch: Prog/Thrash/Power from Germany, sort of like what I was asking for a page or so ago. This isn't that great. Rattling guitars buzz and whirr around you like you're inside a beehive, and the vocals are okay but get annoying in larger doses. Pass.

Winter's Verge: Not a bad band at all, albeit being pretty generic. Power Metal from Cyprus (!).

Crystallion: I like these guys. They're labeled as Heavy/Power Metal here, but they're really sugary sweet, high octane Power Metal in the same fashion of older Dragonland, Landguard, older Dark Moor, etc. Vocals are a bit weak, but these guys are good songwriters, so it's acceptable.

Crystal Ball: Hard Rock/Metal band from Switzerland. Vocalist sounds kind of like Andi Deris. Passable, but not amazing yet.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 624  Next