* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:44 am 

Kerrick wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Looking for more old school prog/power that's not super mechanical but a bit more atmospheric while still delivering powerful riffs. I'm referring to stuff like Arch era Fates Warning, Existence's Reign in Violence and Adramelch's Irae Melanox.

Citron's album Radegast reminds me a bit of Arch-era FW.

That album reminds me of French HM if it were Czech rather than FW.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:10 pm 

So, I've been listening to Wishbone Ash's Argus a whole lot recently; does anyone have any recs that are similar? I already know about Wytch Hazel.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 pm 

Arthen wrote:
Visigoth and Eternal Champion are amazingly good! Anyone knows similar stuff?

Sumerlands - Sumerlands - same kind of atmosphere and reverby vocals as Eternal Champion with Ozzy meets Van Halen style riffing
Lethal Steel - Legion of the Night - The most similar band to Eternal Champion of the Swedish modern heavy metal acts.
Gatekeeper - East of Sun - Epic and quite raw heavy metal
Chevalier - epic heavy/speed metal with very raw production values
Possessed Steel - Epic heavy metal
Traveler - Traveler - Priest and USPM inspired modern heavy/speed metal
Legionnaire - Dawn of Genesis - solid modern heavy metal album with some shades of Heavy Load
Ironflame - Tales of Splendor and Sorrow - modern USPM
Haunt - Burst Into Flame - Energetic and technically skilled heavy/speed metal
Cromlech - Iron Guard - Epic heavy metal
Storrsson - Celtic Legends Volume 1 - one-man epic metal project

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:10 pm 

Arthen wrote:
Visigoth and Eternal Champion are amazingly good! Anyone knows similar stuff?

As far as modern epic metal that has a rich and beefy production job comparable to those bands, I'd say Terminus are your best. The Reaper's Spiral is pretty close to their material in quality. Apparently they may have disbanded as a live band, though it's possible another album may be released as a solo project.

Oblarg wrote:
So, I've been listening to Wishbone Ash's Argus a whole lot recently; does anyone have any recs that are similar? I already know about Wytch Hazel.

I've only discovered them lately, but Hallas play that style of adventurous proto metal with lots of guitar melodies. Definitely makes me think of WA, Wytch Hazel, and Thin Lizzy.

Also, randomly discovered this band Tanith, which Metal Blade announced recently. Same style of epic hard rock.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:44 am 

Oblarg wrote:

Fucking Winterhawk!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDW3m-LaaRc

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:10 am 

What does everyone think of the new Lunar Shadow track?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVtJtAJuNJQ

Looks like they have a new singer. Lots of meloblack influenced tremolo riffs, also this new singer has a much more traditional sounding voice than the old dude with a higher range as well.

I like it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 am 

Not bad. Glad they got rid of the previous singer who sounded like he belonged in a boy band. :p

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:01 pm 

Oh F!!!!

I'd always been a bit wary of Gloryhammer's particular brand of cheese, not anymore. Consider me on board!

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:53 am 

Operation Pivo wrote:
I'd always been a bit wary of Gloryhammer's particular brand of cheese, not anymore. Consider me on board!

Ha, the cheese element is truly....extreme here. But the archetypal definition of "pedestrian" in terms of guitar riffs is immensely off-putting :-/

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:18 am 

Since Bastardhead was so disappointed in Enforcer dropping the speed metal elements, here's Steel Night to fill the void. The singer is, well, if not an air-raid siren, he's a goddamn fire truck siren!

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:17 pm 

Oblarg wrote:

I imagine you've already heard Ashbury's first record. Here's some older stuff that you might dig:

Asgard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bx7WFn4JGA

Camel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZsRNjhVnk

King Crimson has a song called "Starless" and it's an epic on the level with "Pheonix" from Wishbone's S/T record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8

If you're into the really relaxed, folk-inspired moments from Argus then Fairport Convention's material with Sandy Denny is incredible and one of "hidden" influences for a lot of British metal bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FuaSdOdpzw

The only catch with these recs is that none of these bands use twin lead guitars--Wishbone Ash basically pioneered that approach. They'll use more keyboards and violins and shit. But I think these bands dig into the mystical vibe and melodic styles that you hear in Argus and the S/T.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:00 am 

Element_man wrote:
Oblarg wrote:

I imagine you've already heard Ashbury's first record. Here's some older stuff that you might dig:

Asgard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bx7WFn4JGA

Camel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZsRNjhVnk

King Crimson has a song called "Starless" and it's an epic on the level with "Pheonix" from Wishbone's S/T record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8

If you're into the really relaxed, folk-inspired moments from Argus then Fairport Convention's material with Sandy Denny is incredible and one of "hidden" influences for a lot of British metal bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FuaSdOdpzw

The only catch with these recs is that none of these bands use twin lead guitars--Wishbone Ash basically pioneered that approach. They'll use more keyboards and violins and shit. But I think these bands dig into the mystical vibe and melodic styles that you hear in Argus and the S/T.

Great recs. Fairport Convention is particularly good. Thanks!

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 am 

Opus wrote:
Since Bastardhead was so disappointed in Enforcer dropping the speed metal elements, here's Steel Night to fill the void. The singer is, well, if not an air-raid siren, he's a goddamn fire truck siren!

That was really cool!! I've been in a Heavy mood myself, also listening to old Enforcer, Ambush (vocals have a loooot of Halford's influence which is really enjoyable) Stallion (vocals remind me of Anselmo's Glamtera era) and recently I got hooked with Lancer!!!AND THEY HAVE A FUCKING CYBORG OSTRICH AS PET!!! HOW COOL IS THAT?? If I ever have a heavy project, I will get a goddamn' Llama!! Pure stylish badassery!!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:25 pm 

This new Paragon album is some old school slaying steel. Nothing new from them but it sure sounds like they mean business. Definitely beats the new Iron Savior, which I also thought was solid.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:14 pm 

Okay, Riot City's debut is probably the trad metal album of the year. The fuck's going on in Canada these days?

aperson663
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:07 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Okay, Riot City's debut is probably the trad metal album of the year. The fuck's going on in Canada these days?

Funny enough the drummer on that album is the same for traveler's debut, they are both from Calgary. weird that my favorite two albums from this year have both been from Calgary.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:43 pm 

apparently the singer of Riot City is a rapist...

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:50 pm 

Anything recent that sounds comparable to Adramelch - Irae Melanox? Proggy power, with an overtone of medievalness (If that makes sense)? Randomly came across this on YT and after so many years it sounds so good and better than I remember.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:28 pm 

If you haven't heard the demo from Anathema (Italy), it's basically a sequel to Irae Melanox (some of the same band members), albeit not quite as epic. Otherwise...not really, unfortunately.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:

Source?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Anything recent that sounds comparable to Adramelch - Irae Melanox? Proggy power, with an overtone of medievalness (If that makes sense)? Randomly came across this on YT and after so many years it sounds so good and better than I remember.

That's an amazing album.

Reminds me a bit of Warlord (reunion-era) actually.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:19 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

Source?

Not the singer, the guitar player (allegedly) is though. I don't really know him that well, but I've heard from friends who were pretty close with the victim, who say that is the case. I don't know if anything ever came from it, and I've only heard anecdotes, so it's hard for me to say with any certainty.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:20 pm 

I'm looking for some solid Rhapsody of Fire/Aquaria/Angra style bands, the more leaning towards speed, the better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:55 am 

This Idle Hands band is real intriguing. I didn't get around to the EP in time before this album came out, but yeah, I get the hype. Sweet melodies and a unique singer for once - most new trad bands don't have a singer this interesting.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:02 pm 

Yeah, the new Idle Hands record is amazing. Everything I'd have wanted it to be.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:24 pm 

It's sort of like a metal Joy Division, based on the few songs I was able to hear before leaving for work.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:41 am 

Legend's 1979 epic heavy metal masterpiece From the Fjords is being reissued this July through Cult Metal Classics. I know many have been wishing for a reissue for a long time now (myself included), so it's fantastic news that it's finally happening!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 pm 

Only took 40 fuckin years

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 am 

Looking for some very gloomy heavy metal, with the more depressive atmosphere of early Sabbath and Priest. Can be either doomy or not. I'd rather it not be one of those generic stoner "occult rock" bands either. Thanks.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:39 pm 

Osmiumthemetal wrote:
Looking for some very gloomy heavy metal,

Mezarkabul/Pentagram

Tad Morose

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:11 pm 

Osmiumthemetal wrote:
Looking for some very gloomy heavy metal, with the more depressive atmosphere of early Sabbath and Priest. Can be either doomy or not. I'd rather it not be one of those generic stoner "occult rock" bands either. Thanks.

I'd suggest Tyrant's Too Late Too Pray, really gloomy, even oppressive atmosphere, though not really very Sabbath-ish at all. Judge for yourself though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuA2rKQp5o

Also Skullview's first album, Legends of Valor, is super doomy and heavy, the band admits to being heavily influenced by Candlemass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxaVXvVqpMg

One that also comes to mind is Coven's Worship New Gods, it does have a slightly more "primitive" feeling to me than the other two, so may be closer to what you're looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIv7P0yMtjQ

If any of those is to your liking I can probably recommend more stuff.

macmoney wrote:

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:14 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
If you haven't heard the demo from Anathema (Italy), it's basically a sequel to Irae Melanox (some of the same band members), albeit not quite as epic. Otherwise...not really, unfortunately.

Man, It really is a one off album right? I am just happy that it exists at all. Very unique. Thanks, I will check out that demo.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:18 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Fucking Winterhawk!

So, I was actually a bit disappointed in this album, until I heard this track:

This is amazing, and I need more like this. Any recs?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:56 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

Man, It really is a one off album right? I am just happy that it exists at all. Very unique. Thanks, I will check out that demo.

Yeah, it is for sure. I've spent quite a bit of time myself trying to find something similar myself, but pretty much came up empty-handed except for that demo. I guess Dark Quarterer's first album does share some similarities, having a fairly murky production and a similarly dramatic atmosphere, but even then that "ancient cathedral" type atmosphere isn't there, and it doesn't have the strange power metal noodling. But if you somehow haven't heard it go ahead and try that as well (I feel like you probably have though).

Oblarg wrote:
This is amazing, and I need more like this. Any recs?

One track (and only one track) from Longings Past's first album comes to mind, the closest thing I could think of at least.

macmoney wrote:

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:47 pm 

Skelator came out swinging and released a killer new speed metal track called Akira.

Early German speed metal sound on this one and I am looking forward to their forthcoming album. Always loved these guys.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:50 am 

Oblarg wrote:
Yeah, the new Idle Hands record is amazing. Everything I'd have wanted it to be.

I can't stop listening to it.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:50 pm 

Any "raw" heavy metal albums? I've been listening to W.A.S.P.'s K.F.D., and the fuzzy, raw production, the aggressive riffing that's still strongly rooted in the 80's and the crazy screamed vocals really appeal to me. It doesn't need to be rooted in industrial like that album (though it'd interest me if it is). Something like Motörhead or Venom (though that's more speed metal) but noisier and more deranged would also interest me.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:49 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Any "raw" heavy metal albums? I've been listening to W.A.S.P.'s K.F.D., and the fuzzy, raw production, the aggressive riffing that's still strongly rooted in the 80's and the crazy screamed vocals really appeal to me. It doesn't need to be rooted in industrial like that album (though it'd interest me if it is). Something like Motörhead or Venom (though that's more speed metal) but noisier and more deranged would also interest me.

We played with these kids on tour a few months ago and they were a riot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N864pBnvG2k
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:56 pm 

Your description makes me want to listen to Black Death's self-titled debut. It might be more rock and roll than what you're searching for though.

The Tanith album is incredible, just as I expected. Russ Tippins is a god.

Boychev
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:10 am 

Can anyone recommend some Europower-style bands that don't have a heavily protooled production? I honestly love the saccharine chorus-centered style of songwriting of ridiculously cheesy stuff like, say Freedom Call or Dragonforce, but it's the production with the drums triggered beyond belief, the artificial sounding vocals, and everything set to a click-track that really turns me off. Basically modern Europower that doesn't sound like electronic music?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 590, 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596 ... 624  Next