Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:32 pm 

https://thesanhedrin.bandcamp.com/album/the-poisoner

Sanhedrin's The Poisoner is some trad metal I can get behind this year so far. Sweet ass guitar tone, chunky riffs, sort of a raw live-ish sound to everything. Very much like a Slough Feg/Manilla Road general style with touches of epic doom like Solstice's more upbeat parts. The vocals are killer too. She can wail like a classic singer and doesn't just come off like one of the gothic-type singers of this sort of genre.

Incidentally this is good for people who like Sumerlands - similarly retro but in a cool way like that band is.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:37 pm 

So i listened to Magnacult today a fairly good take on Helstar style USPM.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
https://thesanhedrin.bandcamp.com/album/the-poisoner

Sanhedrin's The Poisoner is some trad metal I can get behind this year so far. Sweet ass guitar tone, chunky riffs, sort of a raw live-ish sound to everything. Very much like a Slough Feg/Manilla Road general style with touches of epic doom like Solstice's more upbeat parts. The vocals are killer too. She can wail like a classic singer and doesn't just come off like one of the gothic-type singers of this sort of genre.

Incidentally this is good for people who like Sumerlands - similarly retro but in a cool way like that band is.

I commented in the other thread, but this band sounds really cool. I dunno about the Slough Feg or Manilla Road comparisons so much, but these riffs and vocal lines are pure heavy metal mastery.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 pm 

The chunky guitars remind me of old Slough Feg. And yeah it's not very MR-like in the writing but it's similarly epic, underground stuff with no other pretenses so I was reminded in a way.

They're touring with Slough Feg too so there was that.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:35 am 

The best thing about the new Sanhedrin is that it's impossible to pin down it's exact sound. The "similar artists" tab says Grim Reaper, but that's definitely not the case on The Poisoner. I hear some hard rock, some doom, some trad metal, but it doesn't sound anything like the typical mix of those genres. It's a fantastic release though and it looks like the Cruz Del Sur/Gates of Hell roster this year is absolutely nuts.

Also this is the band that Tom meant to link earlier: https://magnabolt.bandcamp.com/ - I can confirm that it's really fuckin good. Total surprise given this band had 0 promotion and no demos. Very Helstar like with a bit of Omen in vocal delivery. Really strong album that I recommend you guys try.

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am 

Most of the best bands are the ones you can't pick an influence for really.

"Meditation (All My Gods Are Gone)" is a flawless opener - it's pretty much exactly what I want from this style. Love those epic vocal lines. Just lets you know what you're in for right away.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:19 pm 

So I decided to revisit the Ralf era stuff of Gamma Ray and to my surprise, Insanity and Genius is actually a decent effort. I'll admit the second half of it doesn't really deliver too much as the first half, and the album feels too long, but overall it's got some really good tunes on it. The later stuff might be heavier, but it's also more generic.

That makes me wonder, though. Is Primal Fear actually worth hearing?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:30 pm 

colin040 wrote:
So I decided to revisit the Ralf era stuff of Gamma Ray and to my surprise, Insanity and Genius is actually a decent effort. I'll admit the second half of it doesn't really deliver too much as the first half, and the album feels too long, but overall it's got some really good tunes on it. The later stuff might be heavier, but it's also more generic.

That makes me wonder, though. Is Primal Fear actually worth hearing?

I'm not a Gamma Ray connesuir (I have no idea how to spell that and Chrome isn't helping me), but Insanity and Genius is my favorite album of theirs, mainly for three songs: Gamma Ray (I was actually let down to find out this was a cover, but I like theirs better then the original), The Cave Principle, and Heal Me. All fantastic songs. I think these three songs are all better than anything on Land of the Free.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:50 pm 

''The Cave Principle'' is an odd track. Very heavy, typical 90's shit...but somehow it just works. No love for ''Last Before the Storm'' there? That was the track that got me hooked! Still, even though this feels as an inconsistent effort, it's also way more ambitious sounding than, say, Powerplant.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:02 pm 

colin040 wrote:
''The Cave Principle'' is an odd track. Very heavy, typical 90's shit...but somehow it just works. No love for ''Last Before the Storm'' there? That was the track that got me hooked! Still, even though this feels as an inconsistent effort, it's also way more ambitious sounding than, say, Powerplant.

I can't remember that one off the top of my head.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:56 am 

colin040 wrote:

Insanity And Genious is the best Gamma Ray album I've heard :)

They may have better songs on other albums but I think Insanity And Genious is very consistent from start to end.

One of my favorite songs is "Your Turn Is Over" with the bass player on vocals :headbang: :bow: :hyper:

It sounds like if a Motörhead decided to incorporate some Megadeth-intricate shit, while still retain a very punkrock overall vibe

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:26 pm 

I am in the camp that believes that the best Gamma Ray are the first four, with the albums leading up to Majestic being the rest of their worthy albums (I'd call SOIS and Powerplant essential).

Insanity and Genius is a fantastic album, the most varied one they ever released, with surprisingly inspired songwriting. All the songs mentioned here are highlights, Tribute to the Past being a necessary addition to the list of best songs, along with Future Madhouse. And 18 Years. And No Return. And the s/t song. (yeah, I know, that's most of the album but it *is* that good)

I would actually say Your Torn is Over is the easy (but only) low-point of the album, bit goofy, very, very cheesy lyrics and delivery ("ha ha ha") but likeable for what it is.

EXCELLENT playing and production, phenomenal vocals (not the coolest frontman presence though, I have to say) and Kai shines through the songwriting and the vocals on Heal Me. Ralf Scheeers doesn't play a major part in the songwriting (besides 18 Years I think), he did not write the songs or the even the vocal lines (those were always done by Kai). So, Primal Fear and Gamma Ray, VERY different. Especially Scheepers era Gamma Ray actually.

PF is way more standard and traditional and don't cover a lot of musical ground, which is the opposite of what Gamma Ray did. I can't stress that enough, among the europower bands, they were easily the most varied and less standardized, particularly on I&G (but also the previous two to an extent). Heaven's Gate is comparable and Angra (in a very different way) and then BG (of the time). Helloween maybe if you look at the span of their 90s records but not on a single album. Anyway.

I would definitely recommend spinning that album, it's very high quality metal, top notch 90s power metal for sure, before it became the more standard thing (you know, 95 onwards, LotF, Stratovarius and then everyone and their grandma). I'm thinking also of the drumming here, Thomas Nack can do the double-bass thing but he plays waaay more interesting stuff than say Jorg Michael did in Episode...

Heading For Tomorrow and half (at least) of Sigh No More are also stellar and worthy of visitation. The former is like a Keeper of the Seven Keys taken further (stripped of the pumpkins really, not much else) with Ralf Scheepers being more than capable of handling Kiske-type vocals. Sigh No More is a bit rockier, bit darker but has some real gems (like my favorite GR song ever, Dreamhealer.

(I love Kai Hansen and Gamma Ray...)

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:57 pm 

Sigh No More is my favorite of the Ralf Scheepers albums. It's a little unorthodox for the genre and is refreshing to listen to. The songwriting went to another level to make for a strong commercial effort. Kinda similar to Metal Church's Hanging in the Balance.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:27 am 

I checked out some Primal Fear last night and yeah, it doesn't really do much to me - sounds really safe and I thought Ralf had more identity during his time in Gamma Ray. I'm sure this band is far better than Tyran' Pace though. :lol:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:20 am 

colin040 wrote:
I'm sure this band is far better than Tyran' Pace though. :lol:

No way. "Shockwaves" is easily one of the best songs Ralf has ever sung.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 pm 

Finally hearing the Traveler LP. Comparisons to Borrowed Time might be a tad unavoidable but who's mad about that? This shit rules so hard. Hard charging, ultra catchy, and JPs passionate searing wail above it all. This is the good stuff, as far as I'm concerned.

Pairs well with Green Eyleen by Lord Fist and Manacle's EP.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:48 pm 

I don't hear much of a similarity between Traveler and Borrowed Time; in fact, none of JP's new projects at all really sound like BT to me, which is a shame because I really wish that band had a successor project. Neither Traveler, Gatekeeper or Funeral Circle really have that eloquent, loquacious, fancypants approach to the lyrics and vocal melodies that BT had. Can't imagine any of them singing "An ostentatious oral outburst, Offends all of my senses at once, Butchery, I observe and I recoil", essentially.

Not that all those bands aren't awesome, but yeah, doesn't quite scratch the same itch. Closest I can think of is Demon Bitch, who I hope have some new music on the way soon.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 pm 

If you've never heard Ghost Tower it's the closest thing to Borrowed Time I've ever heard. No JP on vocals though so...sorry. But the tunes and production are very similar for obvious reasons

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:56 am 

Could I get some recs for some "evil" sounding Power Metal (if such a thing can even exist)?

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:31 am 

Pellinore wrote:
Could I get some recs for some "evil" sounding Power Metal (if such a thing can even exist)?

These may not be exactly power metal by definition but close enough. All are awesome and should be checked out if you haven't already.

Satan's Host "By The Hands Of The Devil", "Celebration: For The Love Of Satan", "Virgin Sails" and "Pre-Dating God, Pt 1 & 2".
Portrait "S/T", "Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae", "Crossroads" and "Burn The World".
Wolf 'Black Wings".

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:22 am 

Pellinore wrote:

The short-lived Shadows Entwined should be right up your alley.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:30 pm 

Pellinore wrote:

Seconding Satan's Host, By the Hands of the Devil and Virgin Sails are both great albums that fill this role.

Also, though they're not my personal favorite band, I'd suggest Iced Earth if you haven't heard them, Burnt Offerings and Horror Show are the main albums I like by them and both are pretty evil-sounding. Demons & Wizards' first album as well, which features the Iced Earth guitarist. Krystos' Walk Through the Inferno is in a similar vein also, though it's as much thrash as power metal.

Skullview's Legends of Valor feels evil much of the time; "Watching Below from my Moonlight Throne" in particular comes to mind.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:44 pm 

@Pellinore: Iron Cross (the one from Pensacola) put out a s/t album in 1986 that should fit the bill. Their brand of power metal is more traditional, but it is definitely evil.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:46 am 

What albums by Judas Priest is mandatory?
I only have Stained Class, which is awesome.

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:06 am 

forestcorpse wrote:

Sad Wings Of Destiny for sure.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:56 am 

forestcorpse wrote:
I only have Stained Class, which is awesome.

Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class (which you have), Hell-Bent, Unleashed in the East (live album), British Steel, Screaming, Defenders, and Painkiller.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:49 pm 

Thanks a lot, both!

Will get my hands on some of these then.

Playing Stained Class again now, such a rocking album.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:25 pm 

I'm not sure which help thread is more appropriate for Ningen-Isu worship but MYYY GOD! Is there even a bad song in their catalogue?? Japanese Black Sabbath is both an apt description and SO far off at the same time. They went much further, much deeper, into heavy metal than Sabbath ever really explored. Those moments where they rip into a thrashy assault absolutely devastates me.

Impossibly cool band who pulled off the seldom done trick of improving with age. I'm a believer, folks.

For individual songs maybe check out The Mountains of Madness, last track on their 92 album. It does a little bit of everything they excel at. Which is uhhh, everything!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:11 pm 

Hey guys, I was looking at the German Brainstorm and I accidentally clicked on the Brazilian Brainstorm, genre was listed as power/thrash and it looked kinda interesting so I checked out their full-length, and holy shit, this is some crazy guitar work! Super technical and leans more towards the thrash side I'd say. The vocalist isn't great, but he's certainly not bad either, and the crazy riffs and leads make up for it (plus a very active bass). They sound sorta like (I know I make comparisons to them a lot but who else to compare to for technical power/speed metal?) Cauldron Born plus thrash as far as the guitar work is concerned. Or maybe more like a power-metally version of Watchtower. I dunno. Decide for yourself!

(There are a couple of weaker tracks but the opening one is killer!)

macmoney wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:27 pm 

^ That's definitely killer and from what I've heard from the German Brainstorm, much better. :p

Man, Hibria's Defying the Rules is that super addictive power that I sort of gave up on years ago. A shame, really, because now I realised that it's really INCREDIBLE.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:10 pm 

colin040 wrote:
^ That's definitely killer and from what I've heard from the German Brainstorm, much better. :p

Man, Hibria's Defying the Rules is that super addictive power that I sort of gave up on years ago. A shame, really, because now I realised that it's really INCREDIBLE.

Actually the German Brainstorm's album Metus Mortis is sounding quite good to me, hadn't heard it before. Actually pretty similar to some of the modern Angel Dust albums you were talking about with me the other day. Two pleasant surprises in one day, I'm a happy boy! :D

I haven't tried Hibria in a long time, remember it just kind of never really clicking with me, but I'll have to try it again then!

macmoney wrote:

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Actually the German Brainstorm's album Metus Mortis is sounding quite good to me, hadn't heard it before. Actually pretty similar to some of the modern Angel Dust albums you were talking about with me the other day. Two pleasant surprises in one day, I'm a happy boy! :D

I haven't tried Hibria in a long time, remember it just kind of never really clicking with me, but I'll have to try it again then!

Here

This is another cool band I thought of again. This track is total ripping speed metal.

I'll check that Brainstorm album later.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:10 pm 

Ι would totally recommend Ambiguity, Metus Mortis and Soul Temptation from Brainstorm. Very high quality power metal (more US actually, not cliche europower).

Maharaja Palace is a power/doom masterpiece.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 pm 

Soul Temptation is absolutely a classic PM album and as good as any early '00s classics. I don't think there's a bad song on that one. Just pure head-stomping riffs and powerful, evocative atmospheres. It does have a US-style heaviness to it, but the writing is also really focused on epic melodies beneath all that in a way that is notably different - it's not like a Jag Panzer album or anything.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:37 pm 

I need to listen to more Brainstorm. 3 best songs from them? I had an album from them back in the day and it was OK. Promising, but not memorable.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:45 pm 

I'd say try the Trinity of Lust trilogy, def. showcasing their sound; fat riffy guitars, the non-cheesy vocals of Andy and the signature multi-layered choruses

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 pm 

So I just found out that Sweden's Enforcer is coming to my podunk town in September (our town really isn't podunk, but almost no metal that isn't local ever comes here), and I WOULD'VE been willing to go at the drop of a hat, despite I have never heard them before (but I know they have a pretty good reputation here), but I have work that night. I do have the option of using some time off, but I don't like to do that unless I really have too. Still an option though. So what do you think, worth taking time off work to go to? What's a good album to start with for a newbie?

Jonpo wrote:
I'm not sure which help thread is more appropriate for Ningen-Isu worship but MYYY GOD! Is there even a bad song in their catalogue?? Japanese Black Sabbath is both an apt description and SO far off at the same time. They went much further, much deeper, into heavy metal than Sabbath ever really explored. Those moments where they rip into a thrashy assault absolutely devastates me.

Impossibly cool band who pulled off the seldom done trick of improving with age. I'm a believer, folks.

For individual songs maybe check out The Mountains of Madness, last track on their 92 album. It does a little bit of everything they excel at. Which is uhhh, everything!

I was lucky enough a while ago to randomly look them up on Amazon and saw their 2017 album for less than $20 new from Amazon themselves, and it was listed as the last one in stock, so I snagged it. Good shit.

Know any place to get any of their other albums new that the cost of the disc(s) and shipping might total to less than $20 per disc (I'm not asking you to do any math, just giving you an idea)? I know of yesasia.com and HMV Japan, but they are still too expensive for my tastes.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm 

I'd really like some riffy prog/power along the lines of Pagan's Mind, Communic, Conception, Outworld, Manticora, maybe Circus Maximus/DGM/Anubis Gate.

Any ideas?

And yes, I'd go see Enforcer. They're better than a lot of that retro school of new heavy metal bands I think. Check out Diamonds or Death by Fire.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:45 am 

Enforcer never impressed me much, but I absolutely adored Joseph Tholl's work with Black Trip.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:21 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I'd really like some riffy prog/power along the lines of Pagan's Mind, Communic, Conception, Outworld, Manticora, maybe Circus Maximus/DGM/Anubis Gate.

Any ideas?

And yes, I'd go see Enforcer. They're better than a lot of that retro school of new heavy metal bands I think. Check out Diamonds or Death by Fire.

I suppose some modern Saber Tiger albums count. They're more of a song than album band though, so goodluck with that. :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593, 594 ... 624  Next