Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:36 pm 

I really wish more people listened to the first three Damien albums. Granted they are not mind-blowing or anything but feature some REALLY solid blue-collar USPM with special focus put on the band's love for Judas Priest. People really sleep on the third one - "Angel Juice" - and they shouldn't because it has some great USPM ragers ("Politics Of Pain", "Silent Rage", "Turn The Key").

Thrasher42472
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:26 pm 

The 5 albums that I have been spinning heavily at the moment in my rotation are;

BAT - Wings of Chains (2016)

Bewitcher - Bewitcher (2016)

Black Cyclone - Death Is King (2018)

Death Keepers - Rock This World (2018)

Gatekeeper - East of Sun (2108)

FengisRipRider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:32 pm 

Marcohateshipsters wrote:
FengisRipRider wrote:
heres some new stuff from my brother and I, epic US Power metal maybe in your interest.

https://preludetoruin.bandcamp.com/track/one-more-fight

Hey this is pretty good man and I mean REALLY good. You guys remind me A LOT of Borrowed Time and that debut is one of my absolute favorites from recent years not to mention how excellent that demo comp is too. Given the striking similarities in melodies, were you involved in that project as well?

That whole split with White Magician was great through and through. Do you guys have any plans for a full length or EP anytime soon?

Thanks for taking a listen, the reason for the likeness to Borrowed Time is because David (from the Demo) and I (from the eps and full length) were both in Borrowed Time, haha. We are back at it and the original drummer of Borrowed Time (from the demo), Sean Sethi, has also joined us, more to come we are headed to Vegas to "Power Up" and jam out some new tunes. On this track my brother recorded everything on his own and re-sparked our desire to rock.

FengisRipRider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 pm 

aperson663 wrote:
FengisRipRider wrote:
heres some new stuff from my brother and I, epic US Power metal maybe in your interest.

Yeah this sounds great, i also listened to the other song you had on bandcamp, "the weird of the white wolf." I heard some Riot influence, and if this sounds like epic US Power Metal maybe I need to listen to more of it. Personally I was reminded of some great classic speed/power metal, i love your dueling guitars on solos and yeah i agree with the person above that said he would like to hear a little more bass.

Anyways keep it up you have something really awesome there it would be cool to see where you go with it next.

Agreed on the bass! At the time of the recording we decided to leave all that was done in the original spirit in which it was created but moving forward my girlfriend Susana will playing bass and supplying a much more bass feel for the next recordings.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:48 pm 

FengisRipRider wrote:

Agreed on the bass! At the time of the recording we decided to leave all that was done in the original spirit in which it was created but moving forward my girlfriend Susana will playing bass and supplying a much more bass feel for the next recordings.

Can't wait to hear them!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:06 am 

FengisRipRider wrote:

This sounds dope man, the Borrowed Time album is one of my absolute favourite albums of the last decade, can't wait to hear more from you guys.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:29 am 

Wicked Mystic made me think of other extremely obscure bands that I had to work to track down, so I'm digging into Anguish (Ger) for the first time in years... very slick, dense prog stuff in the old 80s style with a bit of modernity creeping in, though nowhere close to like Dream Theater's later stuff or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZffnLm3nDqw

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:30 am 

Hello everyone. Can someone recommend me spacey, proggy NWOBHM/Traditional metal?

I'm thinking of bands/releases along the lines of...

Shiva - Firedance
Full Moon - S/T
Sacred Blade - Of Sun + Moon
Chasar - Gypsy Roller

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:54 am 

It may not be strictly seen as traditional metal/NWOBHM but my go-to band when some asks for proggy metal of quality would be Psychotic Waltz. Check out their first album especially - some amazing playing and vocals on that one.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 pm 

Good mention! On paper, it should be very much my cup of tea but I really have a hard time getting into that album for some reason. I love early Fates Warning though.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:11 pm 

The first two Manilla Road albums (Mark of the Beast being the second actually written, and the one I mean here, not Metal) are pretty spacey at times, with tracks like "The Empire" and "Venusian Sea." Also Ritual's Widow has a lot of similar qualities to some of those albums you mentioned, while not actually being all that spacey--but still quite worthwhile. Also check Annon Vin's A New Gate, has a very odd dreamlike yet also post-apocalyptic feel to it.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:27 pm 

I've listened to Crystal Logic before, and you're totally right about the ambiance the band gives. Very mystical, and somewhat "stoned" sounding. I thought I was the only one that felt that way about Manilla Road.

I also forgot to mention Legend - From the Fjords. The atmospheric, lo-fi production values really reminds me of Manilla Road, and strangely enough, of animated fantasy movies of the 70's/80's (Gandahar, Wizards, Rock and Rule)

I'm not familiar with the other names, so I'll definitely check 'em out. Thanks!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Hello everyone. Can someone recommend me spacey, proggy NWOBHM/Traditional metal?

I'm thinking of bands/releases along the lines of...

Shiva - Firedance
Full Moon - S/T
Sacred Blade - Of Sun + Moon
Chasar - Gypsy Roller

Children?

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:17 pm 

FengisRipRider wrote:

Mind blown! To come across a random post like this and it leads to one of the best power metal songs I have heard in a long while. Excellent stuff FengisRipRider!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm 

i noticed today that this came out
https://thebattleofbritton1.bandcamp.com
Its done by people in trappazat and the vocalist is also from the nwobhm band Scarab
According to MA they play epic heavy/doom. Haven't spotted it on slsk yet might just stream it off bandcamp tomorrow or something.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 am 

So that Wicked Mystic album turned out to be really cool. Fits in nicely with the general darker/proggy PM from Europe around that era. The singer's a real talent, gritty and yet emotive, and the thrashing music is nicely broken up with surprising little twists and turns. I was lucky to find it for like $6.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 am 

I just got my first pressing (and until now because a reissue is coming) of Damien's "Angel Juice". People really need to revisit this album because I think many US power fanatics slept on this one and it is a shame they did. It has everything a fan of the genre could love - tons of riffs, power, passion, a high-pitched vocalist that really drives the songs. Most of songs are riff-based speedsters with one awesome long instrumental thrown in for good measure. Try the song "Politics Of Pain" or "Turn The Key".

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i noticed today that this came out
https://thebattleofbritton1.bandcamp.com
Its done by people in trappazat and the vocalist is also from the nwobhm band Scarab
According to MA they play epic heavy/doom. Haven't spotted it on slsk yet might just stream it off bandcamp tomorrow or something.

This is really solid. Epic doom riffage and the songwriting is quite engaging.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm 

I'm late to the speed metal discussion, but these are some of my favs:

Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear
Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse, Order of the Illuminati
Ballistic - s/t
Midnight - Complete and Total Fucking Midnight
Paragon - Law of the Blade (power/speed)
Speedwolf - Ride with Death
Riot - Thundersteel
Savage Grace - Master's Disguise
Tension - Breaking Point (pre-Ballistic band)
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:03 pm 

Listened to
Evil Invaders - Feed Me Violence
Spellcaster - Spellcaster
Hitten
stone - stone
acid - engine beast
despair - history of hate
Nuke
vanik - II Dark Season
apocalypse - apocalypse
Chapel - satans rock n roll
bulldozer - the day of wrath
vigilance
Fatal Opera
Ambush
trojan chasing the storm
Tyran Pace
Mandator (Didn’t like)
Iron Curtain - Road To Hell
omega second coming, second crucifixion
Paradox - Heresy
sleazer
stalker
breaker
buzzard

Some speed metal albums and band that I like. I apologize for not naming some of the albums with the bands.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:33 pm 

I'm addicted to Seasons of the Wolf

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:42 pm 

^ Here's hoping their new one comes out quicker than the last one did - Skully was saying in an interview it'd be 2020. They've got a whole new singer now. Should be interesting anyway.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm 

Paradox's Heresy is a great album!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
^ Here's hoping their new one comes out quicker than the last one did - Skully was saying in an interview it'd be 2020. They've got a whole new singer now. Should be interesting anyway.

What happened to Wes?

Also do they ever tour or are they way too small?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:54 am 

burnroasted wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

What happened to Wes?

Drug problems, like years ago right after Once in a Blue Moon apparently. They waited around to see if he'd get better but I guess it never happened.

I dunno if they tour much - they probably did when they were younger. I live in FL the same as them and haven't seen any announcements. I'm always on the lookout though.

Robot13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm 

Considering it finished last year, what did you guys think of Blaze Bayley's trilogy "Infinite Entanglement"? I thought the first one was pretty much a masterpiece without any real bad songs, the second one was a huge disappointment with pretty pedestrian songwriting excepting the last 4 songs and the final album a return to form with some of the catchier tracks of the trilogy even if it didn't reach the consistency of the first album.

I'd say it's overall a pretty good time investment and interesting project even if the whole concept story was a real confusing mess because the music side of things is pretty strong most of the time.

Robot13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:14 pm 

What did you guys think of Blaze Bayley's trilogy "Infinite Entanglement"? I thought the first album was pretty much a masterpiece, second one a huge step down in the songwriting department excepting the last 4 songs and the last one was a return to form even if it isn't as consistent as the first album. Pretty good time investment imo even if the whole concept album side of the equation isn't realized as well with most of it being kinda confusing, still music side of things I found to be quite good.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 am 

I don't understand the hype here for Seasons of the Wolf, they don't really do a whole lot for me.

Anyways, does anyone have more prog/space rock meets classic heavy metal to make proto-epic metal kind of stuff? It's such a cool and relaxing sound that I haven't seen a whole ton of. I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of:

Manilla Road - Mark of the Beast
Legend - From the Fjords
Saracen - Heroes, Saints, & Fools
Longings Past- Meadows of Maseilya
Full Moon - S/T
Ritual - Widow
Omega - The Prophet
Stonefield - Light of Lies
Shiva - Firedancer

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:02 am 

I don't think there is much hype. I just like old 70s type metal. Plenty of stuff doesn't do it for me either though. Just how it goes...

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 am 

I don't understand the hype here for Seasons of the Wolf, they don't really do a whole lot for me.

Anyways, does anyone have more prog/space rock meets classic heavy metal to make proto-epic metal kind of stuff? It's such a cool and relaxing sound that I haven't seen a whole ton of. I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of:

Legend - From the Fjords
Full Moon - S/T
Ritual - Widow
Omega - The Prophet
Shiva - Firedancer

You listen to the other Legend at all? They don't dabble in spacey sounds much but to me, they come off as a band who accidentally invented heavy metal (after it had already been invented, of course). They sound like Sabbath with none of the doom and a super emotive vocalist. I feel like you've probably heard them but if not, check out Death in the Nursery as soon as humanly possible.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:08 pm 

so yesterday i was listening to the prog heavy/doom band I compagni di baal and i was very impressed. They have quite a few hellenic bm derived riffs but not in a black metal context.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 pm 

Legend - From the Fjords
Full Moon - S/T
Ritual - Widow
Omega - The Prophet
Shiva - Firedancer

Try Chasar if you don't know them already, similar to what you're going for. Also I don't know if you ever bothered but I spent a lot of time back in the day digging up Full Moon's other material and it was a total waste of time. The s/t is the only worthwhile thing they recorded. I dig that sound too and unfortunately it's rare as shit.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:58 pm 

Legend - From the Fjords
Full Moon - S/T
Ritual - Widow
Omega - The Prophet
Shiva - Firedancer

Have you tried Sanctus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHYFYGff2Q
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 am 

Re: Seasons of the Wolf - don't mean that as any sort of personal attack on you Empyreal. It was more thinking out loud since I've only seen them mentioned on the archives.

I'm well familiar with Legend (too many good bands with this name...) and Chasar, and they definitely fit that sound. Haven't hit Sanctus and Marquis de Sade in a hot minute, so that's a good one!
My friend shot me this band from the UK named Mournblade that also seems to fit the template loosely, Elric inspiration is usually a good sign to begin with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J6JE74EKic

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:14 am 

Empyreal wrote:
burnroasted wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

What happened to Wes?

Drug problems, like years ago right after Once in a Blue Moon apparently. They waited around to see if he'd get better but I guess it never happened.

I dunno if they tour much - they probably did when they were younger. I live in FL the same as them and haven't seen any announcements. I'm always on the lookout though.

That sucks. I can't even tell who's singing each song on the new album tbh.
They have 75 monthly listeners on Spotify so I'm not getting my hopes up for a tour unfortunately.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:03 pm 

So I just discovered an interesting tidbit, David Chastain's one-time band Zanister has a track called The Edge of Sanity on their 1999 album "Symphonica Millennia," and it is indeed the same one from the Shelton Chastain demo, but with vocalist Brain Sarvela instead of Shark. Still a cool song, though obviously not as good as with Shark on vox. I was just listening to the album and suddenly I heard that opening riff and I was like.... "Hmm...this sounds familiar..."

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:40 am 

Virgin Steele has been really hitting a sweet spot for me lately. I remember discovering them like 10 years ago now and being so fucking blown away - they were really like this amalgam of every single thing I wanted in metal at that time. And even now the extravagant writing and powerful performances just make it such a treat.

I can easily hear how they went down the drain though - the writing even on their 90s stuff was indulgent and excessive, and he kept that going until all the quality was sucked out. It makes more sense to me now, though man is it sad to hear what they've become now. Like they flew too close to the sun.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am 

Yeah it's an interesting case study on how a band can go right down the toilet while still staying 100% true to the original artistic vision. Defeis just gradually focused more and more on a part of their sound that only worked in moderation, and dropped more and more of the riffs and songwriting meat that made all the epic stuff work. It's like he added more and more sauce to a dish while subtracting more and more of the actual meat and vegetables until he left us with a plate of nothing but sauce.

Also his voice went down the toilet, but that would be excusable if the songwriting were still there. Shelton couldn't do any of the high-range stuff by the end, and Hellroadie wasn't as good as Shelton in his prime either, but they made it work anyway.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 pm 

Honesty most of the post Marriage material isn't all that interesting vocally, but DeFeis still sounded acceptable on those albums. I'd argue Visions of Eden was a little bit of a return to 94/95 stuff David sang on because he sounded more prominant again, but after that he just started to sound like a parody of himself.

Let Edward Pursino start a solo career or something already!

EDIT: I also found it weird how David's songwriting skills decreased even after The Black Light Bacchanalia. That album was obviously flawed, but to me still sounded like a Virgin Steele album with potential, even if was bloated and was too much about stories rather than the actual music. Then the band comes up with Nocturnes which, while more of a direct album, is just even shittier.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:45 pm 

What he liked about his own music was clearly not what we liked about it. His tastes apparently shifted away from metal over the years. Just a shame it also came at the same time that his ego began telling him 'no, they're wrong, this WILL be good.'

Then his new shit sounds like badly improvised jam sessions for 80 minutes at a time...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 585, 586, 587, 588, 589, 590, 591 ... 624  Next