Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 1459
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 am 
 

Warlord were such a frustrating waste of potential. They clearly had all the talent to make it, but their songwriting just wasn't all that good, overall. Aside from the excellent highlights of Deliver Us From Evil and Child of the Damned, everything else on the debut is solid at best (Aliens), with Lost and Lonely Days being downright bad.
_________________
Reviews from The Sepulchre! Latest: Satan's Hallow - S/T

Top
 Profile  
Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:00 am
Posts: 870
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:22 am 
 

Can't say that I agree. If anything, their songwriting is probably their strongest suit, along with Mark Zonder's wonderful drumming. Deliver Us is just perfect, start to finish. You mentioned Deliver Us from Evil, Aliens, add Black Mass and there you have my 3 fave songs by them. Seriously, Black Mass man. It's FUCKING AWESOME. And so is every other song of theirs, at least in their first era. Including Lost and Lonely Days, which I don't understand why you call "bad". It's really sublime melodies, like usual with Tsamis.

The wasted potential as far as success goes is with the inability to lock down a great vocalist, play live shows and keep up the momentum imo. The guy went to study and become a professor so...
_________________
42

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Best of 2016- The sloppiest list on the web

Remember the Fallen: Paul Baloff (Exodus), Keith Deen (Holy Terror)

Top
 Profile  
Kerrick
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 pm
Posts: 1269
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:15 am 
 

Warlord's and Lordian Guard's albums have been on my wantlist for some time now but other albums keep getting bumped higher on the priority list... Where would you suggest a good starting place for Warlord to be?

Top
 Profile  
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:05 am
Posts: 7415
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:24 am 
 

Oh damn you've never heard them at all? The EP called Deliver Us would be a great starting point I think. It was my personal entry way and I still get a craving for it pretty regularly. Their debut, And the Cannons... is also super strong, huge heavy riffs with lots of pomp and majesty. I get where Lost and Lonely Days is a miss for some people, but within the context of the whole album I don't mind it one bit.

I'm hyped for you, hope you dig their shit! They're a great example of US style power metal, lots of muscle and might.
_________________
I'm livin' for givin' the Devil his due...

Top
 Profile  
Kerrick
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 pm
Posts: 1269
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:18 pm 
 

Awesome, thanks! I've listened to songs of theirs here or there so I have a pretty good idea of their sound; I'm just yet to make the plunge and buy their albums. :)

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 1759
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:35 am 
 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Can't say that I agree. If anything, their songwriting is probably their strongest suit, along with Mark Zonder's wonderful drumming. Deliver Us is just perfect, start to finish. You mentioned Deliver Us from Evil, Aliens, add Black Mass and there you have my 3 fave songs by them. Seriously, Black Mass man. It's FUCKING AWESOME. And so is every other song of theirs, at least in their first era. Including Lost and Lonely Days, which I don't understand why you call "bad". It's really sublime melodies, like usual with Tsamis.

The wasted potential as far as success goes is with the inability to lock down a great vocalist, play live shows and keep up the momentum imo. The guy went to study and become a professor so...


I agree infinitely more with this than the post before it (though my fav 80s Warlord songs are Lucifer's Hammer, Lost and Lonely Days, Soliloquy, and Aliens).

As for the guy looking for recommendations, The Deliver Us EP is definitely good, but I find And the Cannons of Destruction Have Begun to be far superior.

Their first reunion album Rising Out of the Ashes is pretty decent, but I think their second reunion album The Holy Empire is fantastic. It's actually pretty Lordian Guard like, and some of the songs on it came from old Lordian Guard demos. Lordian Guard is fantastic as well. I prefer the first album to the second, though the second is absolutely worth hearing if for no other reason than the title track Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. One of the most epic songs I have ever heard.

Top
 Profile  
Temple Of Blood
Veteran

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:16 am
Posts: 2535
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:56 am 
 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Can't say that I agree. If anything, their songwriting is probably their strongest suit, along with Mark Zonder's wonderful drumming. Deliver Us is just perfect, start to finish. You mentioned Deliver Us from Evil, Aliens, add Black Mass and there you have my 3 fave songs by them. Seriously, Black Mass man. It's FUCKING AWESOME. And so is every other song of theirs, at least in their first era. Including Lost and Lonely Days, which I don't understand why you call "bad". It's really sublime melodies, like usual with Tsamis.

The wasted potential as far as success goes is with the inability to lock down a great vocalist, play live shows and keep up the momentum imo. The guy went to study and become a professor so...


Image
_________________
TEMPLE OF BLOOD: Intense PowerThrash Metal
Facebook / Bandcamp - (now featuring our newly remastered & greatly improved version of "Overlord") / Merch / Homepage

Top
 Profile  
Kerrick
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 pm
Posts: 1269
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:40 am 
 

Cool, thanks guys. I intend on buying all four releases (EP + three full-lengths) eventually so maybe it'll just be a matter of which one I can find for a good deal first - since they're not particularly cheap.

(As a side-note, I never like to get a band's "best" album first because everything after that is a sort of disappointment. Am I the only one?)

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26806
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:16 am 
 

Fans of Europower that is complex and heavy and seriously constructed would do well to check out some of these old Vision Divine albums - Stream of Consciousness, The Perfect Machine and The 25th Hour are all really good stuff. It's like your usual Europower act but with actual propulsive, quality riffs, intricate writing, etc. I'm surprised I don't hear them talked about more. I suppose some of Michele Luppi's vocal lines are a bit AOR for some peoples' taste in here, but the level of detail and care to this music is stunning to me.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Spiner202
Metalhead

Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 3:32 pm
Posts: 2075
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:44 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Fans of Europower that is complex and heavy and seriously constructed would do well to check out some of these old Vision Divine albums - Stream of Consciousness, The Perfect Machine and The 25th Hour are all really good stuff. It's like your usual Europower act but with actual propulsive, quality riffs, intricate writing, etc. I'm surprised I don't hear them talked about more. I suppose some of Michele Luppi's vocal lines are a bit AOR for some peoples' taste in here, but the level of detail and care to this music is stunning to me.


Vision Divine is fantastic, especially the Luppi era. He's easily one of the best singers in existence.

I find The 25th Hour to be my favourite, but there are lots of great songs on Stream of Consciousness as well. I only recently got The Perfect Machine, so I'm not as familiar with it, but it fits the sound.

Actually the two albums with Lione after these 3 are really enjoyable too. Even the new album works surprisingly well - that singer had huge shoes to fill and he did a great job.
_________________
Skull Fracturing Metal - Facebook Page
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26806
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:59 am 
 

Spiner202 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Fans of Europower that is complex and heavy and seriously constructed would do well to check out some of these old Vision Divine albums - Stream of Consciousness, The Perfect Machine and The 25th Hour are all really good stuff. It's like your usual Europower act but with actual propulsive, quality riffs, intricate writing, etc. I'm surprised I don't hear them talked about more. I suppose some of Michele Luppi's vocal lines are a bit AOR for some peoples' taste in here, but the level of detail and care to this music is stunning to me.


Vision Divine is fantastic, especially the Luppi era. He's easily one of the best singers in existence.

I find The 25th Hour to be my favourite, but there are lots of great songs on Stream of Consciousness as well. I only recently got The Perfect Machine, so I'm not as familiar with it, but it fits the sound.

Actually the two albums with Lione after these 3 are really enjoyable too. Even the new album works surprisingly well - that singer had huge shoes to fill and he did a great job.


Yeah, I remember 9 Degrees West of the Moon having an intriguing vibe. I can't remember if I checked out the one after that. The new one is pretty good, but on first listen it seemed inconsistent and not as good as their old stuff. The singer was very good, though maybe a little too heavily accented.

Stream of Consciousness was blowing my mind at work the other day. The stuff they did on there is insane compared to so many bands' output back then - much less straightforward, and progressive in a very natural way. It was almost like a Europower version of some of the stuff bands like Psychotic Waltz or other old prog bands were doing, rather than just ripping off Dream Theater and Rush like a lot of bands tended to do in the '00s.

The 25th Hour is the one I always used to play - that one just had such a tight, catchy set of songs. Gonna play it again soon.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 4498
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:38 pm 
 

New Legendry album for those who can't get enough of their lo-fi dungeon crawling heavy metal.

https://www.indymetalvault.com/2019/11/ ... ower-keep/

It's got some Mark of the Beast-isms which are pretty interesting.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26806
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:14 am 
 

Nahsil wrote:
New Legendry album for those who can't get enough of their lo-fi dungeon crawling heavy metal.

https://www.indymetalvault.com/2019/11/ ... ower-keep/

It's got some Mark of the Beast-isms which are pretty interesting.


Starting off a heavy metal album with a three minute acoustic folk song is something. I dig it.

Yeah this is killer as the last one was. They got a good feel for dirty, in your face riffs.

This is a lot more mature than their last one was. They seem to have gotten a taste for slower, more sweeping melodies.

edit: I could do with the vocals not being so buried, but gotta say I dig how the guitars create this real enveloping, soulful atmosphere. It's very psychedelic in a weird way, like epic metal filtered through much older 70s rock. The Mark of the Beast comparison is accurate. The heavy parts remind me of Omen.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 593, 594, 595, 596, 597


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group