Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:22 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I saw that this random prog/power band Dimhav have good reviews for their debut last year so I start listening...DANIEL HEIMAN ON VOCALS?!?!?!?!?! HE'S BACK?

That Dimhav album is an affront to humanity and all things metal. How can you get Daniel Heiman to sing on your album and underuse him so badly? If I could make an album with Daniel Heiman, it would most probably only consist of him going "woo ohh aahh" for about 80 minutes.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:16 pm 

What do you guys make of Jag Panzer's Dissident Alliance album after all these years? Was listening to the whole thing earlier today which is maybe my second time to hear it in its entirety and I dunno, I'm liking some of these songs more. The obvious Pantera-isms of this track are not too shabby for example;

Spoiler: show

This, I feel is like a spiritual successor to Overkill's "Years of Decay";

Spoiler: show

I think the biggest disappointment (outside the glaring omission of the Tyrant) was that the style of this album was so far away from what folks had come to expect from them but once you get into the songs themselves, they're still solid or halfway there. "Last Dying Breath" is my favorite.
Their reviews of Darkthrone records are great reads, I just can't help feeling they were written in a (very expensive organo-vegan-ist) coffee shop, on a Linux hack job with stickers on, while trying to catch the eye of the girl with dungarees and glasses sitting in the corner.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:31 pm 

I still think it might be the worst example of 80s metal gone groove ever.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:51 pm 

First time hearing that Jag Panzer, wow it's bad.

Opus wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
I saw that this random prog/power band Dimhav have good reviews for their debut last year so I start listening...DANIEL HEIMAN ON VOCALS?!?!?!?!?! HE'S BACK?

That Dimhav album is an affront to humanity and all things metal. How can you get Daniel Heiman to sing on your album and underuse him so badly? If I could make an album with Daniel Heiman, it would most probably only consist of him going "woo ohh aahh" for about 80 minutes.

Yeah it seems underwhelming to me, though not bad.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:48 am 

Spanish Kramp has released a new single
I was involved in production of this upcoming album :-D

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:31 am 

Kind of a weird Stratovarius cover, but I can dig it.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 am 

Nahsil wrote:
First time hearing that Jag Panzer, wow it's bad.

Be more specific....
Their reviews of Darkthrone records are great reads, I just can't help feeling they were written in a (very expensive organo-vegan-ist) coffee shop, on a Linux hack job with stickers on, while trying to catch the eye of the girl with dungarees and glasses sitting in the corner.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am 

I'll be as specific as I can: Dissident Alliance sounds like second rate Pantera with terrible vocals, which sound even more terrible when you factor in what a Jag Panzer is used to. Even years after getting over the initial disgust, they never managed to sound anything more than "generic to bad".

There are some moments when you can hear (because you know) elements of Mark's "regular" writing but overall? Man, no. It's just mediocre and whatever riffs or moments that could have, maybe with a different arrangement or in another context sound fine in any JP album, for me the vocals and general feel and vibe kill them dead. The re-recordings re-workings on Decade... did nothing for me personally. But Decade generally did nothing for me and I have all sorts of problems with that (see: bad re-recordings...), what Broderick did to the Crucifix solo is unforgivable...

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:30 am 

Yeah pretty much^

Been listening to Dimhav. It's not what I wanted, I wanted Lost Horizon 2.0 (or Heed 2.0), but for a more understated vocal performance alongside prog metal, it's growing on me. Some infectious vocal lines in there.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Is your day utter shit? Want to have something to cheer you up? Well, behold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fip5P4y4Yck&t=2m38s

My God man. Am I still tripping? I think I'm still tripping.
Anyone who is incapable of feeling Vicarious embarrassment should watch this if they'd like to understand the feeling better.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I made a playlist of "life affirming" songs, the cheesiness is pretty much off the charts but I love some of these tracks. Did I miss anything obvious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woW7Dm ... LGRUbC3rgQ

Twisted Tower dire - Fight to be free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUlwMtNsO5U

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:43 am 

colin040 wrote:
Is your day utter shit? Want to have something to cheer you up? Well, behold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fip5P4y4Yck&t=2m38s

What the shit is

Edit: Did the song seriously ended with the lyrics "suck it"?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:46 am 

Also found the "I Will Come For You (Terrible Version)" and it's just as amazing as that one above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28R6b278Q5M

This one is physically painful for me, one of my favorite songs and it's been mauled beyond recognition.

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:34 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Spanish Kramp has released a new single
I was involved in production of this upcoming album :-D

If you want at least decent guitar battles, listen to lovebites. Dig the vocals, and the uptempo beat; but for the rest. Bwaargh

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:33 am 

After a few listens, I'm convinced the new Iron Savior album is their best since Dark Assault. Extremely consistent. Every song is enjoyable, and the hooks are undeniable. Good luck getting the chorus of Roaring Thunder out of your head.

Amazing this band still has it after all this time.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:25 am 

Oblarg wrote:
After a few listens, I'm convinced the new Iron Savior album is their best since Dark Assault. Extremely consistent. Every song is enjoyable, and the hooks are undeniable. Good luck getting the chorus of Roaring Thunder out of your head.

Amazing this band still has it after all this time.

I think it's the best one out of the last four records. It has more good songs on it than the other ones. Stand up and Fight and Heroes Ascending are my favourites.

I recently got caught up with them after years of not really paying much attention to the German stuff. Titancraft has some really good songs on it as well (the title track and Strike down the Tyranny are awesome).

It's kinda amazing how they still seem energetic and passionate after all these years. He's a really underappreciated vocalist. And it still sounds like he's using an ancient Line 6 Pod somewhere in his guitar rig hahaha.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:03 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkuE_ktC9d8

Pretty fucking sweet.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:17 pm 

It really is, just yesterday i tried to find digital version, but no luck, found it on YT.

MetlaNZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:58 pm 

Finally got Cloven Hoofs new album “Age Of Steel” and its wicked. Great trad metal songs that wear their influences on their sleeves but are so good you really don’t care, cause they’re so much better than those influences these days. Lee’s a master songwriter who’s got a fantastic singer in George Call (2 awesome albums old now) and he’s got the chops to take the songs to another level. So happy for Lee Payne who’s been battling away for over 40 years now with Cloven Hoof.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:02 pm 

Don Karlos wrote:
It really is, just yesterday i tried to find digital version, but no luck, found it on YT.

I bought it for like $9 on Amazon if you have that. The album is kick ass and has grown on me every spin.

And yeah Cloven Hoof is killer. New album is cool - I like the last one quite a bit better but the new one is loud and proud as fuck.

MetlaNZ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:42 pm 

I was just listening to Armored Saint “Symbol of Salvation” and Skid Row “Slave To The Grind”, both great albums and I got to thinking about how there aren’t too many bands or albums that I can think of that are similar. They straddle the fence between heavy metal and heavy rock with big riffs, great vocals, fast songs, slow songs and all in all great productions. They’re heavy albums but have a commercial quality about them, kinda like the black album. Anybody got any recs that are similar to those 2 albums?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:15 am 

Hi! Can anyone recommend me heavy metal in the vein of Eternal Champion?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:40 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hi! Can anyone recommend me heavy metal in the vein of Eternal Champion?

The most obvious is Graven Rite, which was basically an early version of Eternal Champion, sharing 3 members, and I'd say the music is pretty similar, if perhaps a bit more laid back/atmospheric. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwowvxzjoZE

Terminus is also quite similar, I'd say, with their album The Reaper's Spiral. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOHhQef37w

Stormbringer from Illinois, while quite a bit older, have quite a similar sound to Eternal Champion as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0kmSqJIZU

And although they don't have much material, there's also Avalon Steel, whose Ascension EP is top-notch stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Vhu4Ep3ik

That should do you to start with, I think.

EDIT: Totally forgot Tales of Medusa, who are also very similar and the best of the bunch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN7_qEwU4Zc

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:37 pm 

I posted in the reissue thread but minus well put in here as well. Stormbringer-Stealer of Souls is getting reissued on CD/ Vinyl by No Remorse Records. It’s coming out on Oct 30th and I for one can’t wait to get a copy.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:19 pm 

Been digging Allomancer a bunch recently. The riffs are good, but the real selling point for me is the vocals. Totally unique timbre, good aggression, match the music perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYkMTpXOu6s

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:43 pm 

https://almamater.bandcamp.com/album/ir ... fanpub_fnb

This double-album of the early Ironsword stuff was cool to wake up to today.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:55 pm 

New album will soon be released by Sacred Outcry (Greece) who had released a very promising demo in 2003 and fell off the radar, with members doing other stuff.

Anyway, two lyric videos have been released and I think they are really good for their style, power metal with epic flourishes, you can hear something like a mix of Manowar and Iced Earth? Maybe some Kamelot. The vocals are top notch, as they are handled by Yannis Papadopoulos (Beast in Black, ex-Wardrum).
Highly recommended.

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:23 pm 

These old Halloween albums have some killer slices of melodic Scorpions-style heavy metal with some cool instrumental work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DANZ_AoOAM

Perfect to get in the mood for the coming season, in spite of how fucking shitty everything is.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:30 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/L ... rts/877249

Finally! Five years after the brilliant debut!

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188 - Eerie Evaluation Episode 1: Discussing Cold Lake/Vanity/Nemesis era Celtic Frost...

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:28 am 

Collection of recent news:

Another song from Spanish band KRAMPs upcoming album (I produced)

I produced Swedish nwothm band LEADBREAKER upcoming album, here's drummer Oskars video about it!
(the singer Mina Walkure from Kramp above actually made Leadbreakers album artwork)

listen here
https://stormspell.bandcamp.com/track/leadbreaker

I mixed Finnish band NIGHTSTRYKEs new upcoming album:

I also re-mixed US powerthrashers MILITIAs 2012 album now re-named to "And The Gods Made War"

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:19 am 

Someone's becoming a metal hotshot!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:17 am 

rawsewage wrote:
I posted in the reissue thread but minus well put in here as well. Stormbringer-Stealer of Souls is getting reissued on CD/ Vinyl by No Remorse Records. It’s coming out on Oct 30th and I for one can’t wait to get a copy.

Fuck yeah! Just pre-ordered my CD! One of the greatest epic/USPM albums of all time, finally getting its due! I'm almost creaming myself thinking of an actual CD copy in my hand. :drool:

Acrobat wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Lord_Fist/Wilderness_of_Hearts/877249

Finally! Five years after the brilliant debut!

Nice! At this point I don't think it would be a stretch for me to say that this is the best year for trad/USPM since at least 1991...never thought I'd be putting those words together, but hellz yeah! Shitty year otherwise for obvious reasons, but for trve metal, a total banger!

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
New album will soon be released by Sacred Outcry (Greece) who had released a very promising demo in 2003 and fell off the radar, with members doing other stuff.

Anyway, two lyric videos have been released and I think they are really good for their style, power metal with epic flourishes, you can hear something like a mix of Manowar and Iced Earth? Maybe some Kamelot. The vocals are top notch, as they are handled by Yannis Papadopoulos (Beast in Black, ex-Wardrum).
Highly recommended.

Okay this rules, especially the second track. Kind of like Battleroar if they had more balls. Consider me interested.

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
A shitload of new albums

HOLY FUCK WHAT EVEN IS THIS YEAR SO MANY NEW ALBUMS AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

*explodes*

(Nightstryke sounds pretty sweet, not as hot on Kramp and Leadbreaker, Militia's pretty cool, already familiar with that album)

PS: Oh yeah Allomancer is decent too, I like it but I don't love it, but it seems like it might be a grower. Don't feel like quoting Oblarg after all the other quotes.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:42 am 

Here are some bands I've been liking lately from sampling them

Enforcer (Can)
Traveler
Striker (Can)
Steelwing

Anything along these lines I may be missing? Thanks.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:37 pm 

LVB wrote:
Here are some bands I've been liking lately from sampling them

Enforcer (Can)
Traveler
Striker (Can)
Steelwing

Canada (and Toronto specifically) is a gold mine for flashy modern traditional heavy metal/speed metal in the vein of Striker and Enforcer. Also, I presume you mean the Swedish Enforcer?

Anyways, check out these bands: Skull Fist, Axxion, Phantom, Cauldron, Midnight Malice, and Villain. All of these groups are from Toronto and are amazing. I'd also recommend Riot City, who shares a member with Traveler but is more of a Painkiller clone.

Also, if you like Traveler's more epic moments, maybe lean towards some of the USPM bands like Visigoth, Eternal Champion, and so on.

Operation Pivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 am 

LVB wrote:

In addition to Spiner's List:
Ambush (Swe)
Antioch (Can)
Air Raid (Swe)
Hellfire (US)
Hitten (Spa)
Ironflame (US)

And that's just the first half of the highlights from the first half of the alphabet. Tune into the NWOTHM channel on YouTube for enough music in the genre to keep you going for years.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:34 pm 

Yeah, it was the Swedish Enforcer. I got confused because I'm finding so much from Canada recently. Thanks for the recs as there are a few bands I haven't heard of yet so I will be checking them out when I get some free time this week.

Last edited by LVB on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:38 pm 

I don't know if any cares or would find this method useful, but I've been taking recs from this thread and elsewhere, downloading the video from youtube, converting it to mp3, and dumping them all into the same folder so I can play them on shuffle. It's like a True Metal Radio station at this point and I'm at over 70 hours so far. It's a way to discover music more "naturally". I have been hearing so much great stuff; I had no idea that there was this much awesomeness out there beyond the well known stuff.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:21 am 

LVB wrote:
I don't know if any cares or would find this method useful, but I've been taking recs from this thread and elsewhere, downloading the video from youtube, converting it to mp3, and dumping them all into the same folder so I can play them on shuffle. It's like a True Metal Radio station at this point and I'm at over 70 hours so far. It's a way to discover music more "naturally". I have been hearing so much great stuff; I had no idea that there was this much awesomeness out there beyond the well known stuff.

Oh yeah. I've been listening to trad metal for 15 years and I'm still discovering new things. If you haven't heard Enchanter, you should absolutely check out the Defenders of the Realm compilation. Mandatory USPM.

I do a 2-hour internet radio show every Monday night, and the first hour is normally focused on non-extreme metal. Last week I did my favorite songs from 1985, for example. Any ideas for this week? I can also post the link if anyone is interested.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:24 am 

Any trad metal fan from these days not listening to the new Night album is robbing themselves of probably the best new thing: https://nightband.bandcamp.com/

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Any trad metal fan from these days not listening to the new Night album is robbing themselves of probably the best new thing: https://nightband.bandcamp.com/

Oh? Ohhhhhh?

I like.
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 603, 604, 605, 606, 607  Next