* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
New stuff listened to today:

Eldritch: Prog/Thrash/Power from Germany, sort of like what I was asking for a page or so ago. This isn't that great. Rattling guitars buzz and whirr around you like you're inside a beehive, and the vocals are okay but get annoying in larger doses. Pass..

Their old stuff is pretty good progressive metal. "Headquake" is a great album. I can't say I'm fond of their newer stuff though. They're Italian, btw.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:08 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Eldritch: Prog/Thrash/Power from Germany, sort of like what I was asking for a page or so ago. This isn't that great. Rattling guitars buzz and whirr around you like you're inside a beehive, and the vocals are okay but get annoying in larger doses. Pass..

Their old stuff is pretty good progressive metal. "Headquake" is a great album. I can't say I'm fond of their newer stuff though. They're Italian, btw.

Oh, it was some other band I listened to that was German then.

The song on their Myspace from their 2004 album was the only good one on there, the rest of the stuff I would barely even class as metal actually. One of them had some borderline-RATM verses that were seriously straddling the line between interesting and completely gay.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:10 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Oh, it was some other band I listened to that was German then.

The song on their Myspace from their 2004 album was the only good one on there, the rest of the stuff I would barely even class as metal actually. One of them had some borderline-RATM verses that were seriously straddling the line between interesting and completely gay.

They unfortunately went nu metal on their "Reverse" album and they haven't managed to get all that crap flushed from their system yet. Not sure what went wrong with them, honestly.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:32 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Hmm, I'll have to check them out. There are some interesting older Italian prog metal bands, like Dark Quarterer, Adramelch, and Moon of Steel.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:06 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Hmm, I'll have to check them out. There are some interesting older Italian prog metal bands, like Dark Quarterer, Adramelch, and Moon of Steel.

Ah, I think I will as well. Darkk Quarterer is magnificent! By the way, has anybody heard their new album yet? It is apparently out now. Their singer wrote me a really nice e-mail about it after I reviewed their last album.

By the way, Failsafeman, where can I get or at least hear that High Power debut?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:19 pm 

Well, I bought it from http://www.shadowkingdomrecords.com/store.php but apparently their site is experiencing errors (hopefully temporary), so you may have to wait. Alternatively, you can download it here.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:40 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Ah, I think I will as well. Darkk Quarterer is magnificent! By the way, has anybody heard their new album yet? It is apparently out now. Their singer wrote me a really nice e-mail about it after I reviewed their last album.

By the way, Failsafeman, where can I get or at least hear that High Power debut?

I love Dark Quarterer's self-titled, but I recently heard the reissue of their 1994 album War Tears and wasn't impressed. Do they still "have it"?
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:43 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I love Dark Quarterer's self-titled, but I recently heard the reissue of their 1994 album War Tears and wasn't impressed. Do they still "have it"?

If you love their first one, RUN, do not walk, to find their second (if you haven't heard it yet). It's even better.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:54 pm 

oh really!

hard to imagine, I fucking love the s/t. On that shit.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:37 pm 

So nobody knows anything about the quality of Damien Thorne's debut?

And wow, looks like they followed Griffin's route and got really generic with their follow up "Wrath Of Darkness" (recorded in 1988). It's pretty boring compared to the debut.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:16 pm 

Hey, Oliver Magnum are cool. Didn't give them much attention when I first got this album. :headbang: Like Helstar.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:40 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Well, I certainly think so, but I like "War Tears" quite a lot. It's true that it's possibly the weakest of their albums, but I'm not sure if you'd dig "Violence" if you didn't care for WT .. it's a lot darker, but far more prog than that album was. In fact, I ought to recommend them for submission to progarchives.com, since they really belong there now on the strength of that record at least. I definitely agree with failsafeman though that "The Etruscan Prophecy" is at least as good as the debut. The singing and guitarwork on that thing just rules utterly.

Failsafeman, I should have guessed that Shadow Kingdom would have it. I remember him getting insome interesting-looking French metal but I never investigated it. Thanks for the link!

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:58 am 

Any power metal that sounds like "He is the steel ord on wheels/ DEFYING THA POWAHSS!" would be nice. I'm in the mood for some speedy PM. Bands I know: Dragonforce, Black Majesty, Helloween, Hibria, Cellador.
we sail across the sea!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:59 am 

If you have not already listened to Ballistic's debut full length (self titled), that is a must. Simply the greatest power metal album to come out in the US in a while. Absolutely looking forward to any and everything they do in the future.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:15 am 

Burning in Hell is a good band. Very fast, melodic and happy.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:04 am 

rexxz wrote:
If you have not already listened to Ballistic's debut full length (self titled), that is a must. Simply the greatest power metal album to come out in the US in a while. Absolutely looking forward to any and everything they do in the future.

I wish they would've released an EP or something while Conklin was (apparently?) with them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:13 am 

Why more people don't listen to the debut of Mob Rules is beyond me. I guess it's because they wussed out on the later stuff.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:30 pm 

I'm looking for some "classic" or "biker" style heavy metal. You know, Judas Priest songs like You've got another thing coming, and the like..

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:32 pm 

megahassan wrote:
I'm looking for some "classic" or "biker" style heavy metal. You know, Judas Priest songs like You've got another thing coming, and the like..

Don't know how knowledgeable you are, but an obvious answer to this would be early Saxon. Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law, and Denim & Leather would be good places to start.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:38 pm 

Saxon . . . I'm really not too familiar with NWOBHM bands, other than Maiden and Priest and Angelwitch, but hell, I'll give em a try :)

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:37 am 

Empyreal, I'll join you on Omen's The Curse train. This album kicks all kinds of ass.

In the end, guess it's just safe to say they were almost invincible like Liege Lord. Their first three completely dominate, think they finally seeped into my veins! Definitely going to be listening to these a lot for awhile. I'll admit, I like the additional speed on Warning of Danger and The Curse, but Battle Cry still seems to have that majestic atmosphere.

And why oh why does Escape to Nowhere exist.

nightmareworldmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:18 am 

Check out Nostradameus.

Swedish power metal with I think 5 albums. I have the first 4 and the first (Words of Nostradameus) is bloody fast all the way through. Some good songs on there.

Wra1th1s wrote:
Any power metal that sounds like "He is the steel ord on wheels/ DEFYING THA POWAHSS!" would be nice. I'm in the mood for some speedy PM. Bands I know: Dragonforce, Black Majesty, Helloween, Hibria, Cellador.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:25 am 

Sorry to interrupt but just heard Wolf's Evil Star album yesterday and wound up ruing that the new JP is nothing like that. :(

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:25 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Empyreal, I'll join you on Omen's The Curse train. This album kicks all kinds of ass.

In the end, guess it's just safe to say they were almost invincible like Liege Lord. Their first three completely dominate, think they finally seeped into my veins! Definitely going to be listening to these a lot for awhile. I'll admit, I like the additional speed on Warning of Danger and The Curse, but Battle Cry still seems to have that majestic atmosphere.

I was the one saying that The Curse was a bit of a step down from the two before it though.

The_Bear
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:34 am 

Speaking of Dark Quarterer, has anyone heard either of the Etrusgrave demos? It's Fulberto Serena's new band (guitarist on the first two Dark Quarterer albums). I can't find any of their stuff to preview/purchase/download anywhere, although there is a video on youtube which sounds pretty damn cool, especially considering Fulberto looks well into his 60s.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:52 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

I was the one saying that The Curse was a bit of a step down from the two before it though.

Ohhh, well I was mixing that up and Warning of Danger a bit here last night (the albums are out of order in my folders). Well, I can agree of the three The Curse is probably the weakest, I really dig how fast and aggressive Warning is though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:12 pm 

Yeah, Warning of Danger doesn't have the same sort of consistency that Battle Cry does, nor that wonderful sort of simplicity, but damn, still some of the best USPM out there. Very catchy, too. I can't really pick between them.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:57 pm 

"Hell's Gates" is fucking GREAT, but to be honest I don't like many of the other songs a whole lot. They're not horrible, but they just don't have that same level of immediacy and class as those of Battle Cry. Most of the time I just find my attention wandering if I'm not actively trying to pay attention, whereas with BC I couldn't do something else if I tried.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:59 pm 

I admit to enjoying Battle Cry more and more with each listen, and I already loved it when I first got it. It's really a special album.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:03 pm 

I think I may review the rest of Omen's Kimball material too, I know I haven't given The Curse nearly enough attention. Usually whenever I'm in the mood to listen to Omen I just reach for Battle Cry.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 pm 

I think the self titled track "Warning Of Danger" is really incredible. "Ruby Eyes", "Don't Fear The Night", "VBP", and "Termination" are all really cool too.

"The Curse" starts off really strong I'd say but after a few tracks it's kind of a mixed bag.

Describing Kimball is weird ... it kind of sounds like he got better at really singing on those two but at the same time, he doesn't sound as cool as he does on the debut.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:49 pm 

The slow intro of "In the Arena" on the debut with Kimball singing is just breathtaking.

"Into the arena...we maaaarch to DIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEE...."

Oh and "Teeth of the Hydra" on The Curse is an awesome song, but I can't remember any of the others, didn't play it too much. I'll go back to it tonight.

Last edited by Empyreal on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:54 pm 

On a side note, the new Attacker single is pretty stinky. I was a little optimistic when I saw they got a new vocalist ... but meh, another guy that sounds a bit like Chris Boltendahl. Music is really generic as well.

"The Second Coming" was just too good.

idioteque04
Doesn't know how right he is. ^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:20 am 

TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:
Are Manticora as amazing as the reviews say?

:nods:

But you have 2 no's and 1 yes, so decide for yourself. Start with 8 Deadly Sins, that's the best. It's hyper speed. Read OSheaman's review, it's really good.

I'll take your word for it. Besides I guess the no's are good since I won't be as dissapointed if I turn out not to like them.

thats a yes from me! the black circus is very evil

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:06 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
On a side note, the new Attacker single is pretty stinky. I was a little optimistic when I saw they got a new vocalist ... but meh, another guy that sounds a bit like Chris Boltendahl. Music is really generic as well.

Not really surprising. If a reunion doesn't out-and-out play groove or something, they're generic.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:53 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

Not really surprising. If a reunion doesn't out-and-out play groove or something, they're generic.

Damnit, I feel like the only person on this site who loves both "SOul Taker" and "The Unknown". "Second Coming" doesn't really impress me much on the other hand, and I love Bob Mitchell's new singing style .. there's just something really charismatic about it and those high wails he lets out that seemingly carry on forever are fantastic. Love the guitar riffs on those two latest albums, too. I heard that Mitchell and the band parted on really bad terms and that's damn unfortunate if you ask me.

Failsafeman's passionate review of Omen's "Battle Cry" has got me listening to teh album more often, too. There's something about it that I once thought was a weakness and which now turns out to be a strength. Though I've liked the album ever since first hearing it, probably around the same time Failsafeman did, the first half always seemed to move me more than the second until recently. I think the somewhat unified nature of the songs and their progressions, almost all possessing thatt steady marching groove that's so common in epic metal, kind of made some of the tracks fly by without notice for me. The more I listen to it, though, the more the second half starts to sound better than the first. Funny how after all this time, I never really paid much attention to "Prince of Darkness" untill some months ago. It's such a short song, but it's the most effective up-tempo piece on the record and the bass intro and vocal melodies are so bloody good. I also love the line "you run til you're heaving / it's hard when you're breathing / only the smoke from Hell's flame"...haha. Now, suddenly, "Into the Arena" is my favourite song on here ... I don't know many bands other than these guys and Brocas Helm who can make four minutes seem so goddamn huge and epic, and this song is like the piece Manowar just wouldn't dare to write.

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:50 pm 

Can someone reccomend me some technical, epic power metal? The only ones I listen to ar emanowar, iced eart and dream evil.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:14 pm 

goatmanejy wrote:
Can someone reccomend me some technical, epic power metal? The only ones I listen to ar emanowar, iced eart and dream evil.

Try Wolf (Swe), Dark at Dawn and Virgin Steele.

Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:31 pm 

I was never big with power metal, with the exception of Manowar. I am looking for some balls-to-the-wall power metal if that makes sense. I want some Power Metal that is epic in a non-corny way.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:43 pm 

Cryptwatcher wrote:
I was never big with power metal, with the exception of Manowar. I am looking for some balls-to-the-wall power metal if that makes sense. I want some Power Metal that is epic in a non-corny way.
Manilla Road for sure. Just about any of their releases is worth your time if you're looking for epic power metal.

I also suggest Jag Panzer and Griffin for all the balls you can handle.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 601  Next