Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 am 

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me where to dive in when it comes to this productive and overwhelming band. As I can see, they have loads and loads of records, releases, compilations and so on. What is the best album to start?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:11 am 

Images and Words and Awake are considered to be their classics. Personally I think the Live at the Marquee EP is the best thing they've ever done, though - but I don't like this band much anymore.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:26 am 

images and words for sure, my prog friends love metropolis pt.2 and consider it a masterpiece (it doesn't move me tho). falling into infinity is their most "mainstream" album, they hate it for that but it's not a bad album.

I love the debut, but most people I know can't stand it, mostly due to the vocals and the production, so try it and see for yourself.

I stopped bothering with them after FiA, so if there's a later masterpiece I wouldn't know it. the self-titled got good reviews, and the astonishing was meh for even the most die hard fans I know.

on a sidenote, why not listen to Fates Warning, Queensryche or Psychotic Waltz instead? or Rush or Marillion? :)

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:01 pm 

Just listen to Images and Words.

Most of their discography is soulless garbage. And I say this as a guy who used to LOVE this band.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:19 pm 

@ All

Thank you all! Yeah, I just started with "Images and Words" and I dig it for now! I love that vibe and production work, and the band sure is on fire. I'll try to check the other mentioned releases. I know this band for a long time and I've never bothered with them, simply I wasn't in the zone for that kind of music, but now I have this urge for something deep, meaningful and calm...with good vibe, feeling, and musicianship.

Quote:
on a sidenote, why not listen to Fates Warning, Queensryche or Psychotic Waltz instead? or Rush or Marillion?

I love Psychotic Waltz, and they were the reason for reviving my craving for more progy stuff, but somehow I have this feeling that I'll never find something as similar to them. And Rush...well, I have a problem with them...love the music but I have a hard time getting used to that Lee's vocals.

Quote:
Most of their discography is soulless garbage. And I say this as a guy who used to LOVE this band.

Wow, what happened?!

nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:59 pm 

Their debut album is a good introduction to the band. The musicianship there is mezmerising. Then you can listen to the metropolis album which has a very interesting story and intriguing songs. If you are more of a modern metal fan, check out train of thought although I think it's their weakest entry. Also don't be tempted to buy the astonishing album. It's more than 2 hours long but there are only a few heavy songs.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 pm 

No one has mentioned Scenes From A Memory yet? I think it's the best prog metal album of all time. Some of this might be disgusting nostalgia, but yeah, that's one of my favourite metal records of all time.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:34 am 

I did mention it, under its covert title Metropolis pt.2 :p a fanboy favourite! :)

Xymosys wrote:
I love Psychotic Waltz, but somehow I have this feeling that I'll never find something as similar to them.

try Buddy Lackey's solo album, DeadSoul Tribe, or Crow from Sweden... :)

Reply to topic