Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:50 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:

Cadaver from Norway often have good chromatic tremolo picking sections, you can try their album ...In Pains: if i remember well pretty much every song had at least one of those

Slightly off the mark: to me the kings of death metal tremolos are Molested, but they get oddly melodic at times even if they remain very oppressing. If you are interested check their album Blod Draum, it's an experience!

Cadaver are solid, though the songs I tried from Edder & Bile seem like more my thing than the ones from ...In Pains. I'll make sure I have that album saved for later.

I couldn't find Molested on Spotify, which is what I use for nearly all of my music, so I'd probably have a hard time finding a way to listen to them.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:31 pm 

Here it is :lol:

Spoiler: show

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:46 pm 

Oh damn, that's pretty good too

VVormVVood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:02 pm 

Looking for death metal bands from 1980s-90s with strong satanic/occult thematics (think Deicide and Imprecation). Any recommendations appreciated!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:34 am 

VVormVVood wrote:
Looking for death metal bands from 1980s-90s with strong satanic/occult thematics (think Deicide and Imprecation). Any recommendations appreciated!

Hi, I got you! Not all of it might be 90s but it definitely has the sound:

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:36 am 

VVormVVood wrote:

Check out the first two albums by Mortem (the one from Peru)
They are often overlooked but their music to me has always been in the top tier of 90's death metal, in particular the second album

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:33 pm 

VVormVVood wrote:

Mortem - Demon Tales (1995) is satanic death metal from Peru. They have an extensive discography with a lot of good stuff. De Natura Daemonumis my fav of theirs.

Crucifixion - Desert of Shattered Hope (1993) Occult Death metal from Texas. One of my fav oldschool death metal albums.

Jumpin Jesus - The Art of Crucifying (1991) is my fav. German death metal album

Pentacle - Rides the Moonstorm (1998) Occult death metal from the Netherlands

Sadistic Intent - Ressurection (1994) Satanic death metal from the US. They have a bunch of demos and EPs.

Luciferion - Demonification (1994) Swedish band along the lines of Deicide including the Satanism.

Infestdead - Killing Christ (1996) Dan Swano project along the lines of Deicide

Goreaphobia Omen of Masochism (1991) Occult death metal from the US

Necrovore released 2 demos in the 80s in the style of early Death, and Possessed. One of the earliest death metal bands.

Mortuary Drape - All The Witches Dance (1994) Fantastic album of blackened death.

Morbid Angel, and Incantation are both probably too obvious.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:35 pm 

Looking for riff-oriented melodic death metal bands in the vein of The Chasm, Intestine Baalism, Mi'Gauss, Dungeon Serpent, etc.

Scorpidoge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:14 pm 

Wondering if anyone knows any death metal bands with Desultory's sound? Preferably closely related to their 'Bitterness' album.

UroboricForms
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:40 am 

Does anyone happen to remember a brutal death band from Denmark(?), could have been Austria/Netherlands/Belgium that plays violently brutal death metal and have extraordinarily gruesome lyrics? I found an album a long time ago by this band that had a troll/goblin on the cover I think, sort of cheesy artwork but I remember it being extremely heavy, maybe questionably so. Some of the lyrics were borderline pedo, there was no boundary these guys weren't crossing. Anyways, I want to find this album and see if it holds up to my initial impression, it kind of made me uncomfortable but from a standpoint of pure heaviness was great.

EDIT: the album Rated-X by Deranged is really close in spirit to whatever I'm thinking of.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:28 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Looking for riff-oriented melodic death metal bands in the vein of The Chasm, Intestine Baalism, Mi'Gauss, Dungeon Serpent, etc.

What about Cenotaph's second album? Ænigmatum's debut? Have you heard of Ancient Gods' EP?

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:23 am 

UroboricForms wrote:
Does anyone happen to remember a brutal death band from Denmark(?), could have been Austria/Netherlands/Belgium that plays violently brutal death metal and have extraordinarily gruesome lyrics? I found an album a long time ago by this band that had a troll/goblin on the cover I think, sort of cheesy artwork but I remember it being extremely heavy, maybe questionably so. Some of the lyrics were borderline pedo, there was no boundary these guys weren't crossing. Anyways, I want to find this album and see if it holds up to my initial impression, it kind of made me uncomfortable but from a standpoint of pure heaviness was great.

EDIT: the album Rated-X by Deranged is really close in spirit to whatever I'm thinking of.

The description and assuming they are indeed Danish I'd say that would be Corpse Vomit

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:40 pm 

What cryptopsy album(s) would you guys recommend listening to after None So Vile?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:22 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
What cryptopsy album(s) would you guys recommend listening to after None So Vile?

prepare to embark on a road filled with disappointment :lol:

The first album is often considered to be on par with None So Vile and Once Was Not was well received: I'm not much into those albums but i would start there based on general consensus

Whisper Supremacy is quite different from None So Vile, but it's solid and the self-titled isn't bad either

Then there are And Then You'll Beg and The Unspoken King: The first has it's share of admirers but i disliked every second of it, the second is not particularly well made deathcore and it's not my thing at all.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:53 am 

UroboricForms wrote:

Guttural Slug comes to mind

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:53 am 

What were most the most brutal and heavy death metal bands/albums of the 90's? Forgive me, I'm not familiar with older metal. The most brutal 90's death metal album I've listened to so far is Cryptopsy's None So Vile, an I dig that album.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:57 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
What were most the most brutal and heavy death metal bands/albums of the 90's? Forgive me, I'm not familiar with older metal. The most brutal 90's death metal album I've listened to so far is Cryptopsy's None So Vile, an I dig that album.

You've probably heard of some of these names, but you can't go wrong with any of these if you want 90's brutal death metal or bands that were a huge influence on the subgenre:

Aborted
Baphomet
Broken Hope
Cannibal Corpse
Deeds of Flesh
Dehumanized
Deranged
Devourment
Disgorge
Dying Fetus
Gorgasm
Internal Bleeding
Malignancy
Morpheus Descends
Mortician
Nile
Pyrexia
Severe Torture
Skinless
Suffocation
Vile

Sorry for the huge list but it should keep you busy for a minute :P

Last edited by MeavyHetal on Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:47 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Here’s a few more bands:
Incantation

Immolation

Bolt Thrower

Rottrevore

Infester

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:42 pm 

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll definitely look into those bands.

Another stupid question, is there a specific subgenre or scene within death metal that has more reliance on tremolo picking? Is it more of an old-school thing? Or maybe a regional thing? I've asked for bands before, but maybe finding a specific area of death metal would be better.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:19 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Thanks for those suggestions, I'll definitely look into those bands.

Another stupid question, is there a specific subgenre or scene within death metal that has more reliance on tremolo picking? Is it more of an old-school thing? Or maybe a regional thing? I've asked for bands before, but maybe finding a specific area of death metal would be better.

Blackened death has a ton of tremolo picking (for obvious reasons), but, for the most part? An abundance of tremolo picking seems to be a bigger part of mid 90s-to-early 00s death metal. It's obviously still present, but not as prevalent as it once was.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

mikelikesmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:30 pm 

I haven’t been able to get enough DoF or Severed Savior lately, but I’m going full addict and I just fuckin need MORE. I’ve tried sifting through the suggested bands lists on the respective band’s pages, but none of those bands are actually scratching the itch. I’m not really sure what it is about the two bands, but I think it had something to do with their wild usage of atonality (not technically atonal but their note choices do seem pretty random to me) without making it too grating or jarring to the ears, if that makes sense. So I guess in short, I’m looking for bands (or record labels that have multitudes of similar bands besides Unique Leader) that carry a similar riffing style to DoF and Severed Savior. Even some clones, as long as they execute their music tastefully hahaha. Thanks in advance.

S/N: does anybody know if Deeds of Flesh is planning on releasing any new material after Nucleus?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:28 am 

mikelikesmetal wrote:
I haven’t been able to get enough DoF or Severed Savior lately, but I’m going full addict and I just fuckin need MORE. I’ve tried sifting through the suggested bands lists on the respective band’s pages, but none of those bands are actually scratching the itch. I’m not really sure what it is about the two bands, but I think it had something to do with their wild usage of atonality (not technically atonal but their note choices do seem pretty random to me) without making it too grating or jarring to the ears, if that makes sense. So I guess in short, I’m looking for bands (or record labels that have multitudes of similar bands besides Unique Leader) that carry a similar riffing style to DoF and Severed Savior. Even some clones, as long as they execute their music tastefully hahaha. Thanks in advance.

S/N: does anybody know if Deeds of Flesh is planning on releasing any new material after Nucleus?

Moved to Death Metal Help Thread.

7varvar7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:11 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Suffocation
Autopsy

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:49 pm 

I know there are a lot of technical death metal bands that sound kinda similar to Spawn of Possession, but anyone recommend tech death with that same evil, menacing atmosphere?

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:45 am 

UroboricForms wrote:

My first instinct is Infernal Torment

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/I ... ature/8582

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:01 am 

Not really paid much attention to new releases in the last few years, are there any good caverncore (or portal/incantation worship) bands/releases I've missed? The latest Encoffination was probably the last I heard.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:51 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Not really paid much attention to new releases in the last few years, are there any good caverncore (or portal/incantation worship) bands/releases I've missed? The latest Encoffination was probably the last I heard.

Drawn and Quartered released IMO an AOTY last year. These guys never disappoint.

Check out Ritual Chamber too. This is the project of Dario Durna, the former drummer of Drawn and Quartered and Infester.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:14 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:

Sit down, let me get you a beer, seeing as how you've just wandered into my cave :wink:

Depends though, on what you consider "caverncore" (a term I hate), as it's all just death metal to me, with maybe some leanings into black/death, but I digress...

Gosudar - Morbid Despotic Ritual

Great album from this Russian outfit. Heavy, dark with strong song writing and atmosphere.

Venomous Skeleton - Drowning In Circles

This album is soooooo damn good. Captivating, well written death metal from the abyss. Outstanding production to further heighten the darkness. Also featuring members of the now defunct (?) Sonne Adam. Fucking excellent.

Fossilization -He Whose Name Was Long Forgotten

Doomy, cavernous, infectious. Really good shit in my opinion. Really good.

Mortiferum - Demo and both albums really

Putrid down tuned death/doom which for me has never gotten old. Strong with old Incantation but still bringing their own game. Band on most people's lips right now.

Apparition - Feel

Impressive stuff, crushingly heavy. Need more time with this myself.

Cavurn - Rehearsal

I love the shit out of this festering pile of doom-ridden bile. Seriously this is bloody sinister shit.

Charnel Altar - Demo

Filth, just pure filth. Disgusting and rotten to the bone. They have a new full length out as well, but still getting my head around it. Damn impressive.

Burial - Inner Gateways to the Slumbering Equilibrium at the Center of Cosmos

Brilliant death/doom from Italy. These boys know how to craft a tune. Don't sleep on this, it's seriously amazing.

Rothadas - Kopár hant​.​.​. az alvilág felé

A newcomer from Hungary, dropped an album in October last year and produced a grim and grimy album full of great tunes.

Void Rot - Descending Pillars

Personally need more time with this, but I've really liked what I've heard of this album so far with the few spins I have had.

My collection

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:11 am 

Sometimes I get the idea that you're a living encyclopedie, CrushedRevelation. :P

I'm not looking for any recommendations, but if anyone's looking for some simple, yet vigor death metal from the old days that's slightly comparable to Autopsy and Bolt Thrower (with awesome vocals to boot!), then behold!

I've also been revisiting Cannibal Corpse's Butchered at Birth lately and it finally clicks. It's definitely a step further from the thrash-inspired debut (which was my pick of choice when it comes down to this band), but it's pretty cool stuff and it gives me the idea that rechecking more of their early stuff will definitely be worth my time.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:52 am 

colin040 wrote:
Sometimes I get the idea that you're a living encyclopedie, CrushedRevelation. :P

Been listening to death (and metal in general) metal for 30 years mate, I have keenly honed my ear for what I'm looking for over that time :-D but thank you :wink:

My collection

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:19 pm 

Does anyone know any death metal bands with atmospheric leads like Gorement, I've been looking but can't seem to find anything which scratches the same itch.
https://youtu.be/PjAOXyz8Opg

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Hollow-Lives-131952705738380/
Bandcamp:
https://hollowlives.bandcamp.com/releases
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevT4U ... AEQ/videos

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:35 pm 

Have you ever tried Septic Flesh? Their first album and the Temple of the Lost Race EP might suit you. They aren't exactly the same but kinda similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRo6BI_21Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5RJxhwJvk

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:54 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
Have you ever tried Septic Flesh? Their first album and the Temple of the Lost Race EP might suit you. They aren't exactly the same but kinda similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRo6BI_21Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5RJxhwJvk

I've only ever really gotten into mid-era Septic Flesh, but have been meaning to check out their earlier stuff, thanks for reminding me. From a quick listen, it's not exactly what I was looking for, but I like it nonetheless.

Facebook:
Bandcamp:
Youtube:

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:00 pm 

baconboom wrote:
Does anyone know any death metal bands with atmospheric leads like Gorement, I've been looking but can't seem to find anything which scratches the same itch.

I think there's some Revocation stuff like that, Try this at 1:03.

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:27 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
baconboom wrote:

I think there's some Revocation stuff like that, Try this at 1:03.

This is a bit more technical and modern sounding than what I'm looking for, but thanks anyway.

Facebook:
Bandcamp:
Youtube:

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:52 am 

Old school death metal instrumentals?(1984-1996)

I have Death's Cosmic Sea and Gorgut's Waste of Mortality. I know there's more but I can't think of them at the moment.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:01 am 

baconboom wrote:

Try Desecresy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv_oPw3jlWc

Try some Deathevokation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZq7gRSQG0

Maybe the first album from Amorphis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3t0qLyMbrw

What's a good example of something you're looking for from that Gorement album?

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:52 am 

Lord Tempestuous wrote:
baconboom wrote:

Try Desecresy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv_oPw3jlWc

Try some Deathevokation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZq7gRSQG0

Maybe the first album from Amorphis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3t0qLyMbrw

What's a good example of something you're looking for from that Gorement album?

The first track from the Gorement album is a pretty good example. I know Amorphis and definitely enjoy their first album quite a bit. Desecresy and particularly Deathevokation sound really great, I love that style of doomy death metal, thanks a lot.

Facebook:
Bandcamp:
Youtube:

Deathwish238
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:15 am 

What have been the top death metal and melodic death metal albums in 2021 and 2020?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:24 am 

Deathwish238 wrote:
What have been the top death metal and melodic death metal albums in 2021 and 2020?

For death metal, I'd check out Ulcerate's Stare Into Death And Be Still, Vader's Solitude in Madness, Incantation's Sect of Vile Divinities, Black Curse's Endless Wound, and Undeath's Lesions of a Different Kind for 2020. 2021 death metal albums included Cannibal Corpse's Violence Unimagined, Frozen Soul's Crypt of Ice, Diskord's Degenerations, Worm's Foreverglade (leans more towards death-doom, but I'd still recommend checking out), and Malignant Altar's Realms of Exquisite Morbidity.

As for melodic death metal, 2020 albums included Dark Tranquillity's Moment, The Black Dahlia Murder's Verminous, Mors Principium Est's Seven, Nawabs of Destruction's Rising Vengeance, and Aeolian's The Negationist. 2021 melodic death metal albums included Hypocrisy's Worship, Dungeon Serpent's World of Sorrows, Wizardthrone's Hypercube Necrodimensions, Be'lakor's Coherence, and At the Gates's The Nightmare of Being.

Those are some highlights for both years, but as far as 2020 and 2021 went, there were some amazing death metal and melodeath albums that came out those years. I'd google "best death metal/melodic death metal albums 2020/2021" if you want to see more albums to check out.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289  Next