Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:22 pm 

Here is my first request: can anybody recommend me old school death metal with great vocals, like Asphyx, Obituary, and Pentacle? I can't exactly describe the vocal style except that they are more high-pitched than the usual death growls, but I think the mention of those bands will give you an idea on what type of vocals I am looking for.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Last edited by Kruel on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrystus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:51 pm 

Necrophiliac-Chaopula: Citadel of mirrors, When I first heard this, all that came to mind was the great vocals. Their material might be hard to find though.

Uncanny-Splenium For Nyktophobia, Old school swedish death with high pitch vocals and great musicianship.

You can listen to samples of both bands on anus.com.
Let us ride the winds of blood

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:02 pm 

Gorod at points uses the nice highpitched growl reminiscent of early death. Their music isn't actually early death-like though.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:11 pm 

Fester - Winter of Sin. I haven't heard anything higher in oldschool death.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:18 pm 

I've been hoping for a thread like this to pop up
Here is my request:
I am looking for death metal with an epic feeling, I would like it to sound something like Nile in terms of epicness, but with brutality and very intellegent lyrics.

ASupervillain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:16 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
Here is my request:
I am looking for death metal with an epic feeling, I would like it to sound something like Nile in terms of epicness, but with brutality and very intellegent lyrics.

Lykathea Aflame- I'm sure you've heard plenty of mixed opinions about this band on the board but they really are worth your time.

Augury- again you've probably heard of them but check them out.

Dark Lunacy- If you decide to only check out one band I recommend then make it this one, pure awesomeness of the most awesome proportions. each album is totally different and each one still manages to be epic, emotional and dramatic. I would start with "The Diarist".

Hacksaw to the throat- Don't let the name fool you these guys are epic, intelligent and they really know how to write a song.

Odious Mortem- Great, brutal, and somewhat like Nile. This band is sick.

I kind of forgot that you were looking for bands that sounded like Nile when I started writing that but each band is epic and brutal.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:17 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:

If you haven't checked out Lykathea Aflame, you need to. They fit all of the above.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:19 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
hippiedrow wrote:

If you haven't checked out Lykathea Aflame, you need to. They fit all of the above.

Mithras too.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:24 pm 

Thanks for the recs.

hippiedrow wrote:
Here is my request:

People have already given great recs, but I'll add Necronomicon from Canada. Egyptian death, but only much better than Nile.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

TheWordOnLameStreet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:25 pm 

Can anyone explain to me what is "Slam Death Metal" ???

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:26 pm 

TheWordOnLameStreet wrote:

It's a type of brutal death metal; I don't know how to further describe it, but listen to Devourment to find out how it sounds.

TheWordOnLameStreet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:28 pm 

Kruel wrote:

It's a type of brutal death metal; I don't know how to further describe it, but listen to Devourment to find out how it sounds.

I have been listening to them for a long time and i just thought they were brutal death metal. I had no idea what makes "Slam Death Metal"

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:32 pm 

Kruel wrote:

I have been listening to them for a long time and i just thought they were brutal death metal. I had no idea what makes "Slam Death Metal"

From Wikipedia:

Some bands occasionally alternate fast and aggressive parts with slower grooves and breakdowns. Bands who focus more on these slower groovy parts and breakdowns are sometimes referred to as slam death metal.

gabalgabow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:07 am 

Kruel wrote:
Here is my first request: can anybody recommend me old school death metal with great vocals, like Asphyx, Obituary, and Pentacle? I can't exactly describe the vocal style except that they are more high-pitched than the usual death growls, but I think the mention of those bands will give you an idea on what type of vocals I am looking for.

The first VIOGRESSION album is kinda cool, and it had Obituary alike vocals... Not bad if you're not too demanding and like some old stamospheres
http://nihilistic-webzine-distro.fr

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:21 am 

Kruel wrote:
From Wikipedia:

Some bands occasionally alternate fast and aggressive parts with slower grooves and breakdowns. Bands who focus more on these slower groovy parts and breakdowns are sometimes referred to as slam death metal.

So according to that, essentially, most deathcore is slam death? That's the way I interpret it, anyway.

EDIT:
Kruel wrote:
People have already given great recs, but I'll add Necronomicon from Canada. Egyptian death, but only much better than Nile.

QFT. Necronomicon are good.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

souldivide
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:54 am 

look into kataklysm's sorcery or maybe temple of knowledge. theyre old vocalists on these tracks is badass

thetrueevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:21 am 

Full Lengths:
Authorize - The Source of Dominion (1991)
Cancer - To The Gory End (1990)
Carbonized - For the Security (1991)
Cemetary - An Evil Shade Of Grey (1992)
Cenotaph - The Gloomy Reflection Of Our Hidden Sorrows (1992)
Ceremonial Oath - The Book of Truth (1993)
Convulse - World Without God (1992)
Crypt of Kerberos - World of Myths (1993)
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes (1992)
Desultory - Into Eternity (1993)
Electrocution - Inside The Unreal (1993)
Epitaph - Seeming Salvation (1992)
Excruciate - Passage of Life (1993)
Funebre - Children of the Scorn (1991)
God Macabre - The Winterlong (1993)
Internal Decay - A Forgotten Dream (1993)
Megaslaughter - Calls from the Beyond (1991)
Merciless - The Awakening (1990)
Moondark - The Shadowpath (1993)
Mordicus - Dances from Left (1993)
Morpheus - Son of Hypnos (1993)
Necrony - Pathological Performances (1993)
Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation (1992)
Pyrexia - Sermon of Mockery (1993)
Rottrevore - Iniquitous (1993)
Seance - Fornever Laid To Rest (1992)
Sentenced - Shadows of the Past (1991)
Sororicide - The Entity (1991)
Therion - Of Darkness... (1991)
Wombbath - Internal Caustic Torments (1993)
Xysma - Yeah (1991)

Mini Albums
Belial - Wisdom of Darkness (1992)
Damnatory - Docta Ignorantia (1993)
Expulsion - A Bitter Twist of Fate (1993)
Goddefied - Abysmal Grief (1993)
Crematory - Denial (1992)
Enigmatic - Two Days of April (1993)
Eulogy - The Essence (1993)
Phlegethon - Fresco lungs (1991)
Utumno - Across the Horizon (1993)

Split Albums
Altar/Cartilage - Ex Oblivione / The Fragile Concept of Affection (1992)
Carnage/Cadaver - Dark Recollections / Hallucinating Anxiety (1990)
Chronic Decay - Chronic Decay / Exanthema (1993)
Misanthrope/Torturer - Hater of Mankind / Kingdom of the Dark (1991)

Compilation CDs
V/A - Dead Flesh - A Spanish Death Metal Compilation (1993)
V/A - Projections Of A Stained Mind (1991)
V/A - Pantalgia - A International Death Metal Compilation (1992)
V/A - Seraphic Decay Sampler (1992)
V/A - Requiem - Morbid Symphonies of Death (1993)

Last edited by thetrueevil on Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:38 am 

Heres a recommendation: Anyone got something similar in variety to Vital Remains - Forever Underground?

intothevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:45 am 

I'm looking for death metal with a huge atmospheric feeling, not too brutal ( I don't want Nile), some sick riffs, and a good mix of blastbeats and sludgy parts.

"Oh, It's just the holocaust. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, carry on"

LiViNgDeAdVirUs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:10 pm 

Is there such thing as actual symphonic death metal? It's something I've been trying to find for a long time. I don't want bad melodeath either. I want Morbid Angel-esque death metal with orchestral instruments, like violins. The closest thing to what I'm looking for is Xzoriath. Is there such a thing? Any help? Thanks.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:14 pm 

LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:
Is there such thing as actual symphonic death metal? It's something I've been trying to find for a long time. I don't want bad melodeath either. I want Morbid Angel-esque death metal with orchestral instruments, like violins. The closest thing to what I'm looking for is Xzoriath. Is there such a thing? Any help? Thanks.

Nocturnus uses keyboards quite heavily, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it symphonic.

Dark Lunacy uses violins and I think they qualify, though I would have liked to see a more agressive symphonic DM (Dark Lunacy is too dommish and Gothic).

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:19 pm 

LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:

Septicflesh's newest album communion

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:07 pm 

Can anyone recommend me a band that uses a good deal of acoustic interludes and breaks? I'm thinking of a death metal version of early Ulver. I'd prefer if the acoustic breaks were similar to Dissection and early Ulver. i don't care what kind of death metal as I am a fan of all kinds.

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:10 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
Can anyone recommend me a band that uses a good deal of acoustic interludes and breaks? I'm thinking of a death metal version of early Ulver. I'd prefer if the acoustic breaks were similar to Dissection and early Ulver. i don't care what kind of death metal as I am a fan of all kinds.

Alot of Death/Doom does that...bands kind of like Opeth, Asgaut etc.

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:15 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:

Augury do a good number of those during their songs. Godgory as well, but they run towards the more melodic side of DM.
MikeyC wrote:
Kruel wrote:
From Wikipedia:

So according to that, essentially, most deathcore is slam death? That's the way I interpret it, anyway.

Not exactly. It's entirely dependent upon from whence the influences come. For example, most slam death breakdowns and grooves are influenced by groove metal and the groovier variety of DM (Obituary, Dying Fetus, Suffocations breakdowns and what have you), whereas most deathcore breakdowns are influenced by metalcore (The stereotypical chug fest most would think of, generally)

Last edited by Pathological_Frolic on Sun May 18, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:22 pm 

LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:

Yes, there is one: Phlebotomized, specifically their debut Immense, Intense, Suspense.

Jigglefactor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:25 pm 

LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:

Phlebotomized.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:26 pm 

I just said that.

LiViNgDeAdVirUs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:53 pm 

Thanks for the help, everyone, these bands are great. I'm really liking Septicflesh.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:59 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:

LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:
Thanks for the help, everyone, these bands are great. I'm really liking Septicflesh.

You should both check Sarcastic Terror, Obsecration, Horrified, Phlebotomy, On Thorns I Lay and The Elysian Fields.

HumanWaste, also check Septicflesh ;)

http://www.metalfighters.com/

EverSoSentient
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:10 pm 

Right,

one of my favourite DM bands is StarGazer. I just love how the manage to sound mystic, occult, flowing, esoteric and straight up DM at the same time. Are there any other bands in a similiar vein? Note that I'm after the sound and not lyrical concept or general theme of the band, so if you're not familiar with StarGazer and their work ("The Scream that tore the Sky" in particular) don't bother with replying. For example, while Portal is also heavy on the occult and the esoteric they don't share the same sound as StarGazer.

Blackend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:37 pm 

Can somebody recommend technical dm bands whose vocals sound like Arsis and At the Gates? Sorry for the vagueness.

ASupervillain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:44 pm 

Kruel wrote:
LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:

Nocturnus uses keyboards quite heavily, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it symphonic.

Dark Lunacy uses violins and I think they qualify, though I would have liked to see a more agressive symphonic DM (Dark Lunacy is too dommish and Gothic).

Don't listen to him, Dark Lunacy is plenty aggressive, I don't know which album he was listening to but they are as brutal as they need to be.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:23 pm 

I was wondering if you guys could recommend me bands that are just pure speed, no slow downs, no breakdowns, just faster-than-the-speed-of-light death metal, like Vader's The Art of War EP. Thanks in advance.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:31 pm 

666head wrote:
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me bands that are just pure speed, no slow downs, no breakdowns, just faster-than-the-speed-of-light death metal, like Vader's The Art of War EP. Thanks in advance.

Try Origin. That's the best I can think of.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

HighPlainsDrifter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:33 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
666head wrote:

I'll toss in Krisiun, too.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:34 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
666head wrote:

This. And ignore anyone who says Brain Drill. They are not your friend.
Death metal is eternal.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:35 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
666head wrote:

This. And ignore anyone who says Brain Drill. They are not your friend.

I like Brain Drill. :oh shit:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:11 am 

666head wrote:

dies arae(?) , hate eternal, hour of penance

ordoabchao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:16 am 

LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:

Garden Of Shadows? I am not sure if you would qualify them as Melodeath or not, as I am totally dumb-struck when it comes to death metal sub-genres. Try their first album, I haven't heard the second. If I remember right they have some nice blast parts.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 289  Next