Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:58 am 

Deathwish238 wrote:
What have been the top death metal and melodic death metal albums in 2021 and 2020?

I don't listen to much melo death but here's my top DM albums of both years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPc1O9kvA0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNAltRQ-8mM

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:02 am 

Deathwish238 wrote:
What have been the top death metal and melodic death metal albums in 2021 and 2020?

In addition to the albums previously mentioned I would recommend:

Drawn and Quartered-Congregation Pestilence
Spoiler: show

Hyperdontia-Hideous Entity

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:11 am 

What's the best beginning album for Possessed?

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:55 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:

Seven Churches! It’s a classic!

The_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:17 am 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:

Seven Churches as Overtenmy said.

If you like it, you can listen to Beyond the Gates which is pretty solid. And don't sleep on The Eyes of Horror, it's really good.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:17 am 

What's some heavy, melodic death metal in which the guitarists are hell bent on writing the best, catchiest riffs?

I mean like "God Was Created" by Vehemence or "Blood, Cum And Tears" by Psychiatric Regurgitation, even though the latter is influenced by melodic black metal too.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:12 pm 

Milo wrote:
What's some heavy, melodic death metal in which the guitarists are hell bent on writing the best, catchiest riffs?

I mean like "God Was Created" by Vehemence or "Blood, Cum And Tears" by Psychiatric Regurgitation, even though the latter is influenced by melodic black metal too.

Check out Intestine Baalism if you haven't heard of them, one of the best melodic death metal bands of all time.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:18 pm 

Looking for progressive death metal in the vein of Cryptopsy around Once Was Not, and Immolation around Close to a World Below, with similar production to those albums. I love the raw aesthetics of the production(s), combined with the off-kilter drumming and dissonance, and the jazzy touch that Cryptopsy had in those days.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:30 pm 

Korpgud wrote:
Looking for progressive death metal in the vein of Cryptopsy around Once Was Not, and Immolation around Close to a World Below, with similar production to those albums. I love the raw aesthetics of the production(s), combined with the off-kilter drumming and dissonance, and the jazzy touch that Cryptopsy had in those days.

I’d recommend Phobocosm and Altars. Their sound is influenced by Immolation.

Phobocosm

Altars

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:40 pm 

Got any recent death metal with powerful/deep bass been released recently? Old-school-style or doomy stuff preferred just because those sound profiles fit the bill, but wanna be open-minded! Got some new speakers and a new sub and looking to drag my knuckles and make my vision a bit wavy on some sick riffing.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:43 am 

overtenmy wrote:
Korpgud wrote:

Phobocosm

Altars

A bit darker and less unhinged than I was looking for, but very good nonetheless. Getting Arkhon Infaustus vibes from Phobocosm, and that is always a good thing. Thank you!

LilVeky
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:31 am 

Hi guys, im looking for some really weird, "out there" death metal, im a big fan of PanThyMonium, Phlebotomized, Baring Teeth etc.
Recommend me something that's so weird but still death metal haha, hope im not too broad in my request. Experimental, avantgarde, dissonant, proggy etc...

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:41 pm 

LilVeky wrote:
Hi guys, im looking for some really weird, "out there" death metal, im a big fan of PanThyMonium, Phlebotomized, Baring Teeth etc.
Recommend me something that's so weird but still death metal haha, hope im not too broad in my request. Experimental, avantgarde, dissonant, proggy etc...

Maybe a bit less weird than those, but quite experimental IMO... And yes it's a Russian band but I know they do not support the actions of the current Russian government.
https://vonnegut.bandcamp.com

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:13 pm 

^^
Czech band Hellyum is quite a bit "out there". I think they mix in some avant-garde type stuff.

Here's 4 songs from their sole album: https://bandzone.cz/hellyum

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:53 am 

I need some help! I wanna try Demilich, but I'm torn. Should I listen to the original version of Nespithe, or the remastered version on "20th Adversary of Madness"? I can't gauge which sounds better just by skimming.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:10 am 

Korpgud wrote:
overtenmy wrote:
Korpgud wrote:

Phobocosm

Altars

A bit darker and less unhinged than I was looking for, but very good nonetheless. Getting Arkhon Infaustus vibes from Phobocosm, and that is always a good thing. Thank you!

Quite different from the bands mentioned so far, but I have a feeling you might like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_Chsf ... TYOfficial

Khalian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm 

Hey everybody, any help appreciated. I am not exactly sure how to describe what I am looking for.

The best I can do is that I am looking for bands/albums that have a similar sound to Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness and Immolation's Dawn of Possession.

I have not seen these two albums compared often, or at all, but they are for some reason the only two I can point to. The qualities I am looking for are:

-The Raspy vocals they share (for lack of a better description - I have not seen this vocal style often, even in MA and Immolation's follow-up albums - most obviously between Dawn of Possession and Here in After, Ross adopts a much more deep/powerful growl versus the higher level of rasp).
-a lot of riffing and obvious guitar leads
-Varied/eclectic percussion
-Similar production where it is not completely polished, but not so muddy that the guitar, bass, and percussion sound like a massive wall (...again, sorry for bad description - I am not a musician and having real trouble putting to words what I am trying to describe here).

The last three points seem obvious, but there is a huge amount of death metal that I have heard that focus on extremely fast drumming/constant blasting with wall-of-sound guitar/bass/vocals.

I am hoping somebody more knowledgeable than myself is able to look at these two albums and my descriptions above and kind of discern what I am looking for.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:48 pm 

Khalian wrote:
The best I can do is that I am looking for bands/albums that have a similar sound to Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness and Immolation's Dawn of Possession.

This is a good challenge.
I agree that "Dawn of Possession" is the spiritual successor to "Altars of Madness" (much more so than "Blessed are the Sick"), so I agree with your comparison.
That said, it is difficult to find stuff that hits this vein. It is easier to find stuff which sounds like early Morbid Angel than early Immolation.
I assume you've heard the "Thy Kingdom Come" demo already (if not, check that first). Then...

Fatal - "A Somber Evocation of Nihilism" (1990)
Similar rasps to early Morbid Angel, same era, similar sound but much more melodic (influenced by Coroner). Drumming is inventive as hell. Totally underrated.

Eternal Dirge - "Morbus Ascendit" (1992)
Closer to Morbid Angel than to Immolation, maybe a bit thrashier than either. Well worth checking.

Goreaphobia - "Omen of Masochism" (1991)
Perhaps a little closer to the Immolation record. Plenty of dirtiness and rasping and a supernatural atmosphere. Worth checking.

Liers in Wait - "Supernaturally Uncontrolled Art" (1992)
Clearly influenced by MA and Deicide, maybe a little further from your exact request but worth hearing.

Massacra - "Final Holocaust" (1990)
Plenty of the raspy early Morbid Angel vibe here, a bit thrashier and more 'European' maybe. Good stuff.

Necrovore - Divus De Mortuus (1987)
This one is a little more primitive and violent, but still worth listing as it is similarly interesting.

Terminal Death - Faces of Death (1985)
The earliest true death metal recording? This one is pretty raw and thrashy, sounds a bit like a primitive version of early Morbid Angel (nothing like Immolation though).

Khalian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:31 pm 

robotiq wrote:
Khalian wrote:

Fatal - "A Somber Evocation of Nihilism" (1990)
Similar rasps to early Morbid Angel, same era, similar sound but much more melodic (influenced by Coroner). Drumming is inventive as hell. Totally underrated.

Eternal Dirge - "Morbus Ascendit" (1992)
Closer to Morbid Angel than to Immolation, maybe a bit thrashier than either. Well worth checking.

Hey man, thanks for the recommendations. I knew it was a bit of a tough one.

I listened to the two above on my way to work today and will give the rest a listen throughout the week.

The Fatal EP has super cool production - I feel like I am at a small venue listening to them, especially with how the drums hit.

Eternal Dirge album was quite rad - sounds exactly as advertised. Like Morbid Angel, but some fun thrash riffing sections. Catchy record. Will be listening to this one again for sure. I'll check out their follow-up album too.

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:54 pm 

No worries, I can't think of anything that exactly hits the mark between the two records, but have a listen through that bunch and see what catches your ear.
Another one I'd add to the list is the final Ripping Corpse demo from 1992 ("Industry"). Only three songs, but it has a better production than their 1991 album, and the songs are much more sophisticated.
They were keeping the spirit of "Altars of Madness" alive on that demo - more so than Morbid Angel themselves.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:40 am 

Oi fellas,

Can I get some recs for death metal with mathcore influences? Something fast, angular, and non-stop aggressive.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:23 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
Oi fellas,

Can I get some recs for death metal with mathcore influences? Something fast, angular, and non-stop aggressive.

Try "Obscura" by Gorguts, avant-garde death metal with parallels to mathcore. There's also Krosis, they're more of a djent/deathcore kind of thing.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:37 pm 

I'm well acquainted with Obscura, I'm looking for something less dark and atmospheric and more downright violent; so nothing like Gorguts or Ulcerate, for example, but more like TDEP's Calculating Infinity gone death metal.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:06 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
I'm well acquainted with Obscura, I'm looking for something less dark and atmospheric and more downright violent; so nothing like Gorguts or Ulcerate, for example, but more like TDEP's Calculating Infinity gone death metal.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:19 pm 

I don't think i've ever heard a band being described as death metal/matchcore, but, from my own ear i would describe bands like seputus, baring teeth and maybe pyrrhon as having some definite math influence

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:14 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
more like TDEP's Calculating Infinity gone death metal.

Human Remains would be the obvious one, "Using Sickness as a Hero" EP from 1996 (big influence on Gorguts I presume).
I don't like it much (their earlier stuff is way better) but it was a massively important record for this sound.

You might also want to check out old jazzy-death/hardcore bands like:
Cross Fade - Untitled Demo 1994 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYsBGm1TakU
Candiria - Subliminal Demo 1994 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGVuYKA9hiw
These are not as fast as DEP but they have a similar angularity and 'mathiness'.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 9:30 am 

Answering in order:

Anata — I had forgotten this band existed, last time I saw them mentioned must have been over 10 years ago. Fantastic rec, I'm really enjoying it. Love how forward the sound is.

Seputus/Baring Teeth — I know and like them a lot, but they're defo more on the atmospheric and sombre side. I'm looking for something that's inherited the aggression coming down from the branch of punk, music that feels the same being in a fist-fight does.

Pyrrhon — Hadn't checked them out until now for whatever reason. Abscess Time is great, crazy stuff.

Human Remains — Not quite what I was looking for, and I'm not even sure if it's an album I'll end up liking, but very interesting nonetheless. It reminds me of Cryptopsy's BMF in that it feel completely marred by a production that doesn't fit the music at all.

Cross Fade — I don't really hear any mathcore in this, though there's definitely a NYC hardcore influence. Amazing music, and I can't get enough of that crunchy 90s sound. Is it me, or the singer sounds a lot like a more powerful version of Chuck?

Candiria — It's ok, but wasn't really hooked.

Thanks everybody for the recs! I've got more than enough to digest now.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:31 pm 

coupdebleus wrote:
Answering in order:

Anata — I had forgotten this band existed, last time I saw them mentioned must have been over 10 years ago. Fantastic rec, I'm really enjoying it. Love how forward the sound is.

Seputus/Baring Teeth — I know and like them a lot, but they're defo more on the atmospheric and sombre side. I'm looking for something that's inherited the aggression coming down from the branch of punk, music that feels the same being in a fist-fight does.

Pyrrhon — Hadn't checked them out until now for whatever reason. Abscess Time is great, crazy stuff.

Human Remains — Not quite what I was looking for, and I'm not even sure if it's an album I'll end up liking, but very interesting nonetheless. It reminds me of Cryptopsy's BMF in that it feel completely marred by a production that doesn't fit the music at all.

Cross Fade — I don't really hear any mathcore in this, though there's definitely a NYC hardcore influence. Amazing music, and I can't get enough of that crunchy 90s sound. Is it me, or the singer sounds a lot like a more powerful version of Chuck?

Candiria — It's ok, but wasn't really hooked.

Thanks everybody for the recs! I've got more than enough to digest now.

You got it man ;) Let us know if you ever find some death math :)

SewageCrawler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:44 pm 

I’m looking for bands like Cerebral Rot any tips?

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:59 pm 

SewageCrawler wrote:
I’m looking for bands like Cerebral Rot any tips?

Here’s a couple suggestions, hopefully they work.

Drawn and Quartered

Slugathor

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:48 am 

Greetings. I am looking for more abstract stuff like Gorguts Immolation Ulcerate Suffocation etc. Any ideas?

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:48 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Greetings. I am looking for more abstract stuff like Gorguts Immolation Ulcerate Suffocation etc. Any ideas?

Try Lykathea Aflame's "Elvenefris" and Martyr's "Hopeless Hopes."

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:46 am 

Lykathea Aflame first time hearing it. Kind of has an upbeat sound and feel.

Kind of like Immolation crossed with Entombed

luis_punisher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:31 pm 

I hope you guys can help me. I´m looking for modern or reasonably recent death metal yet with an old school approach. If the songs are catchy, much better then. Some examples of what I´m looking for are In the Mind of Evil (Deicide), Nightmares Made Flesh (Bloodbath) or Kill (Cannibal Corpse).

Demonisk Eros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:25 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:
hippiedrow wrote:
I am looking for death metal with an epic feeling, I would like it to sound something like Nile in terms of epicness, but with brutality and very intellegent lyrics.

If you haven't checked out Lykathea Aflame, you need to. They fit all of the above.

Mithras too.

Ade, brutal death metal with ancient roman sound.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:39 pm 

luis_punisher wrote:
I hope you guys can help me. I´m looking for modern or reasonably recent death metal yet with an old school approach. If the songs are catchy, much better then. Some examples of what I´m looking for are In the Mind of Evil (Deicide), Nightmares Made Flesh (Bloodbath) or Kill (Cannibal Corpse).

I recommend Draghkar and Necrot if you haven’t listened to them yet. Both are really fun bands and the songs are catchy.
Draghkar

Draghkar

Necrot

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:30 am 

^^ Entrails?

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:59 pm 

Looking for brutal death metal in a similar style to Regurgitation's Tales of Necrophilia. Brutal gutturals that don't rely on pig squeals and are more in line with Frank Mullen, frequent guitar solos, and a nice balance between technicality and catchy, knuckle dragging grooves. Already familiar with big names like Suffocation and Dying Fetus, and would prefer a darker, more oldschool approach to this style as opposed to a more slick, modern sound.

Rowolta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:06 pm 

luis_punisher wrote:

Quite broad span there. Some albums that you might like.
Very much in the veins of Bloodbath:
Wretched Fate - Fleshletting

Super catchy polish deathgrind:
Pyorrhoea - The Eleventh: Thou Shalt Be My Slave

Catchy finish death:
Sotajumala - Teloitus

Members of Vomitory, catchy a.f.
Cut Up - Forensic Nightmares

I'll stop there, have more if you need.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:58 pm 

overtenmy wrote:
luis_punisher wrote:

I recommend Draghkar and Necrot if you haven’t listened to them yet. Both are really fun bands and the songs are catchy.
Draghkar

Draghkar

Necrot

cheers thanks for the shoutout
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289  Next