Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
zen3001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:58 am 

not much to say, just check out this album the came out recently

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:05 am 

That's some of the worst shit I've ever fucking heard. I fucking hate Aborted's new shit, what a garbage ass band. Literally the definition of weak, plastic, modern bullshit.

zen3001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:50 pm 

welp, good to hear a different opinion the only thing I read so far is praise for this album

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:29 am 

I really like the new Aborted album. Probably their strongest since Global Flatline. Needs a few more listens to form a proper opinion, but I quite enjoy it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:42 am 

I find modern Aborted really annoying, no doubt they can crack out some sick riffs but the song writing and aesthetic is just a mess imo, and the production is way too slick.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:37 am 

I'll always love Goremageddon. Haven't bothered with anything they've done since tbh.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:22 pm 

Hey, I've been out of the game for about 6 years now-- open to w.e death metal albums released 2012 and beyond so I can catch up a bit. Bands I like include Benighted, Kronos, Skinless, Mithras, Incantation, Wormed, Intestine Baalism, Monolith Deathcult, Denial (the Mexican one), Coffins...

Sorry for the annoyingly broad request, I'd try to be more specific but I really don't have any clue how to describe what I like in death metal. I think I have pretty standard taste so if people generally like an album I'll probably enjoy it too. Appreciate w/e recommendations I can get.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 pm 

Blood Incantation
Gigan
Artificial Brain
Cosmic Void Ritual
Pissgrave

You have pretty broad taste in death metal, so there's no doubt in my mind that many these guys should float your boat.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:58 pm 

Thanks to overtenmy, Wilytank and Rippingheadache for recommending Drawn and Quartered, Outre-Tombe and Cosmic Void Ritual respectively. Been enjoying them a lot! Also, you guys might like Malthusian's Across Deaths album. I feel it's like cavernous death/black done well. I'm an Altar of Plagues fan so the fact that their drummer play there is a plus for me.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 pm 

Can anyone name me a few bands that are similiar in style and standard to say....Deicide? Mostly listen to bm but i feel i should listen to more death metal too by now

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Can anyone name me a few bands that are similiar in style and standard to say....Deicide? Mostly listen to bm but i feel i should listen to more death metal too by now

A few suggestions basically look for blast heavy stuff:

Nox and Centurian can't do much better than these for this style
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Early Deeds of Flesh
Early Vader and other Polish acts like Betrayer, Ahret Dev, Dissenter
Some of Brazilian blasting like Krisiun, Abhorrence and Rebaelliun
Angelcorpse
Myrkskog maybe probably a good crossover as you mostly listen to bm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:03 am 

Gravemarker wrote:
Hey, I've been out of the game for about 6 years now-- open to w.e death metal albums released 2012 and beyond so I can catch up a bit. Bands I like include Benighted, Kronos, Skinless, Mithras, Incantation, Wormed, Intestine Baalism, Monolith Deathcult, Denial (the Mexican one), Coffins...

Sorry for the annoyingly broad request, I'd try to be more specific but I really don't have any clue how to describe what I like in death metal. I think I have pretty standard taste so if people generally like an album I'll probably enjoy it too. Appreciate w/e recommendations I can get.

Right. Well there has been a plethora of incredible DM albums released since then, so here are a few more to get your teeth into.

Obliteration - Black Death Horizon - Probably the pinnacle of Norwegian death metal right now.

Altars - Paramnesia - Australian DM blending Immolation/Incantation with added dissonance and power.

Beyond - Fatal Power of Death - No holds barred DM madness.

Binah - Hallucinating in Resurrecture - One of the standouts for 2012 for me.

Cruciamentum - Charnel Passages - One of 2015's finest.

Domains - Sinister Ceremonies - Awesome 2014 album from Spain.

Grave Miasma - Exalted Emanations - Murky brutality and atmosphere from the UK.

Drowned - Idola Specus - Killer full length after the amazing Viscera Terræ EP from many years ago.

Funerary Pit - The Titan Sea - No frills, no bullshit, great Australian DM.

Engulfed - Engulfed in Obscurity - Probably my DM album of 2017 from these Turks.

Kever - Eon of Cycling Death - Rather good EP from Israel.

Sulphur Aeon - Gateway to the Antisphere - German Cthulhu inspired brilliance.

Trenchrot - Necronomic Warfare - Unashamedly old school, and damn good with it.

Vanhelgd - Temple of Phobos - Actually all their albums are worth your time.

Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall (and anything they've done basically) - Fucking killer DM album with excellent song writing, musicianship and crushing heaviness.

Plenty more out there, and more keep coming...

My collection

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:10 am 

Seconding every single on of Hayisforhorses recommendations, great choices there. However, you missed the ultimate in Deicide worship, Luciferion!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhh6U9UNoK8

The other closest one I can think of is Infestdead, for sure. Weird that both of these are Swedish bands...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xygy_rPZ9k

Aeon is fairly close to the Deicide sound, that's a lot of what they emulate, but their previous band Defaced Creation is ever more heavy handed Floridian-sounding DM. I could also see bands like Pessimist or Diabolic scratch that itch for you as well.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:04 pm 

mike_87 wrote:

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Aeon/327
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Infestdead/1500

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:18 am 

Can I have recs similar to Artery Eruption? I like the complex structure of their songs.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:38 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Can I have recs similar to Artery Eruption? I like the complex structure of their songs.

You might like the following, as they all specialize in brutal death metal with weird, amorphous song structures.

Animals Killing People - Kentucky Fried Killing
Encenathrakh - S/T
Bound and Gagged - Fornicate the Gutted
Copremesis - Muy Thai Ladyboys
Gruesome Malady - Infected with Virulent Seed (More on the goregrind side, but still mindblowingly chaotic)
Andromorphus Rexalia - Cosmic Collision into the Fifth Dimension
Nefas - Seven Times Seven
Purulent Jacuzzi - Vanished in the Cosmic Futility
Mindly Rotten - The Most Exquisite Agonies
Amputated Genitals - Human Meat Gluttony

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:34 am 

Thanks @RippingHeadache. I liked the song structures but was hoping for a dose of slam as well.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:20 pm 

I've heard some really cool stuff recently

Just wanted to ask everyone's thoughts.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:11 pm 

Gravemarker wrote:

Ripped to Shreds!
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:22 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I've heard some really cool stuff recently

Just wanted to ask everyone's thoughts.

I've listened to Embrionic Death's Stream of Solidarity demo before. It's an underrated gem. Very reminiscent of bands like Timeghoul, Wicked Innocence, Atheist and even Demilich. I'm partial to that kind of weird, angular OSDM so its a definite hit for me.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:11 am 

I like that ED demo, but Regurgitate the Dead, the first one, is my favorite. I like the raw, crunchy, proto-brutal-death shit more than just about anything else, but everything they've done is really cool.

Pustulated and Gutrot are two of my favorite bands, the latter also being my favorite live band of all time. The Pustulated you posted is also their best work, btw.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:13 am 

@RippingHeadache, I didn't quite see the similarities to Demilich(maybe I haven't reached that level of refinement) but Embrionic Death is awesome I agree.

@Blarg223, yes When I heard Pustulated and Gutrot I was immediately taken aback because it was totally awesome. Just slam after slam.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:33 am 

Neither of those bands are slam hahahaha are we even listening to the same bands? Both of those bands are about as far removed from "slam" as you can get without being Brodequin.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 pm 

@Blarg223,

Rateyourmusic.com lists Pustulated to be slam. Now i'm not saying they are the last word, but I thought it was slam.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/pustulated

You're right, Gutrot isn't slam. It's cool nevertheless despite my proclivity towards slam bands I liked it.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:04 pm 

RYM has a habit of labeling any brutal death metal band that has two chug riffs as "slam". If you want to hear more things in that vein, check out a list I posted on there a while back.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Morguelo ... -sickness/

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:55 pm 

Yes, I've been trying to listen to that list for a few months. It's almost all of it like Brodequin, which is a band I like very much.

I am listening now to this album

It's a total Suffocation clone and for that reason quite good.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:13 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I am listening now to this album

Youtube: Pyrexia - Sermon Of Mockery (1993) [Full Album] Drowned Productions show

It's a total Suffocation clone and for that reason quite good.

One of my all time favourite dm albums, the rhythm section on that record is amazing. Shame that nothing they have done since has been quite the same as Sermon.

Sermon gets labelled a Suffocation clone but IMO it is its own beast, Suffocation were always more technical with more elaborate songstructures and variation, by comparison Sermon is a relentless stream of brutal percussive and chromatic riffs. Hard to argue there are similarities paticularly with Guy having been in both bands, but I never get why people think they sound so alike, personally I feel like Pyrexia had more in common with Internal Bleeding than Suffocation.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:14 am 

Glad you like the list man, I'm certain you'll like just about everything on there. There's a new band from Turkey that I think you'll like as well, that I'm going to be adding to the list at some point. The band is called Meshum and it's a one man band of Erkin, who plays in Decimation. Excellent riffing, definitely check it out, even has real drums, which is rare for one-man shit.

SoM is one of my favorites too, I actually have a flag of the album cover hanging right next to my front door in my living room hahaha. If you like that, you should definitely check out the EP that Deprecated did back in 1998. AJ Magana of Disgorge/Defeated Sanity and Derek Boyer of Suffocation and a ton of other shit. Pure Sermon worship, just make sure you listen to the old version. They re-recorded it with Terrance Hobbs and Matt Sotelo for Unique Leader in 2013 and, like just about everything else they've done in the past decade, it sounds weak and sterile as fuck.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:25 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
If you like that, you should definitely check out the EP that Deprecated did back in 1998

Agreed closest thing to SoM I have come across, love the dry as fuck production on the original

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:51 pm 

Definitely, I'm always hitting up Derek every time I see Suffocation, asking if they're ever gonna release the full length. Motherfucker, he has the whole thing on his computer! Pisses me off, but honestly, I feel like if they did release it today, it'd end up with a super slick production that sucks all the life out of the music, so maybe it's best they just let it be. I'd still like to see a reunion show at some point though, that would be sick as hell, even better if I could be the one to book it lol.

I do have a couple requests, as well. I'm looking for songs that feature sections with a flanger effect or something on the vocals, like the section beginning around 1:40 in Morbid Angel's Umulamahri. I love the weird atmosphere it creates, despite normally HATING vocal effects; I feel a light flanger is less damaging to the overall integrity of the vocals than something as drastic as a pitch shifter. More famously used in Where the Slime Live, but I like this one more, especially since Formulas is one of my favorite MA albums, certainly far above Domination. Song below:

Also looking for bands that want to be Cryptopsy super bad, namely the first two albums (I've never heard anything else they've done, even though BMF and NSV are both like top 20 albums of all time for me hahaha). I don't just want something that's like, "ok I can hear the influence in some parts", I want straight up clone bands. Bring that shit on, there's not nearly enough bands drawing blatant influence from one of the sickest bands in existence. Some I'm pretty familiar with:

Cephalic
Infliction
Obscene Crisis
Wormed
Lykathea Aflame
Yattering
Goratory

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:23 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
Also looking for bands that want to be Cryptopsy super bad, namely the first two albums (I've never heard anything else they've done, even though BMF and NSV are both like top 20 albums of all time for me hahaha).

Gotta admit this is a very tough request.

The only bands I know of that sorta resembles Cryptopsy (and that includes post NSV with the exception of The Unspoken King) would be Desecravity from Japan, Infested from Germany and perhaps Perfecitizen from the Czech Republic. That said, both bands are very "modern" sounding so they may not have that morbid, diseased atmosphere that characterizes both BMV/NSV.

There's also Man Must Die from the UK, which kinda reminds me Cryptopsy by way of merging melody with blistering, over-the-top technicality. I could be reaching with this particular rec however.

Deamon, who are also from Canada, is essentially Cryptopsy-lite but without ballsy, memorable songwriting chops.

Let me know watcha think.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:03 am 

blarg223 wrote:
Also looking for bands that want to be Cryptopsy super bad

If memory serves (its been a while since I listened to them) but the closest thing I have come across to a Cryptopsy clone is Defiled from Japan. Specifically their first two albums Erupted Wrath and Ugliness Revelaed, cant comment on the rest as I aint heard em.

Another that might be in the ballpark Bane - Vehemence: The cathartic remnants... Not exactly the same but has a similarly savage and speeding out of control feel that None So Vile has.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:58 am 

Not a particular response to any particular post but thought I'd share these bands I found through RYM browsing the 'Deathgrind' genre chart.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:52 am 

Vardoger just called it quits. Their album Ghost Notes has been one of my favorite albums to be released in the past few years. If you think you'll want it, I recommend tracking it down now. It was independently released and I suspect that once it's gone, it'll be gone for good.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:24 pm 

Hey thanks for the recommendations guys! The problem is pretty much exactly as I figured, in that I already knew all these bands hahaha. Desecravity is really sick, and I can totally feel the influence, but they're a loooooot techier, missing that ugliness that Cryptopsy has. They do have the almost spazzy blasting pretty well down though.

Infested is cool, Until It Breaks Down Again or whatever is a sick album, they put in a lot of those ugly dissonant notes in their riffs, and super nasty vocals. Always kinda thought of them as a more straightforward Malignancy in that aspect.

Perfecitizen is alright, I like a lot of their riffs, but overall, they're a lot more grind-based than I prefer. I'm not a fan of grind in the slightest.

Man Must Die is cool, but I only really know them from that song Kill it, Skin it, Wear it lol. I'll have to give them another listen sometime soon, I don't own any of their shit yet.

Deamon is great, I have Descend Dethrone on CD and I thought it was gnarly the last time I played it. I can definitely feel Cryptopsy in some of their riffs for sure, and the blasting. Maybe a little more overtly "brutal death" than Cryptopsy, too. Excellent recommendations man, that's as close as anyone has ever really gotten hahaha.

I need to hear more of Defiled! I've heard some of their shit, but I don't have any CDs yet, so I don't think I've heard any album in full. Thanks for the reminder on that one! Bane is cool as fuck too, that one is actually on that list I posted for Sonic Enemy the other day hahaha. Another album I don't have. I think it's like $25 on Discogs for some reason...

Reinfection is decent and Internal Suffering is fuckin tits, man. Especially early shit. New stuff is still sick, just a bit more polished.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 pm 

Cheers man. I really need to check out some the bands you've namedropped as well. Can't say I'm familiar with any of them besides the major league players (Wormed, Lykathea, etc).

There is one band/release I forgot to mention that you should check out.

Ton - Plague (1999)

Someone recommended these guys to me awhile back and the frenzied, chaotic sound definitely recalls prime Cryptopsy. Can't believed this one slipped my mind.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:31 am 

I'm a bit behind in my death metal listening. Now I'm filling in the gaps and hearing stuff like Cannibal Corpse which I'm familiar with but don't know very deeply sort of. So I'm spending my time listening to Tomb of the Mutilated, The Bleeding, Vile and stuff like that and I'm beyond impressed.

So if someone can recommend something that is downright inspired by cannibal corpse(also stuff that inspired them).

I really like Butchered at Birth but to me the epitome of Cannibal Corpse and their best realease ever is The Bleeding. I don't like over technical and loud bands like Hour of Penance. I like bands that are a bit low key and very down tuned. Some examples would be Deeds of Flesh, Dying Fetus(in their groovier, moshy sections), Suffocation etc.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:03 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I really like Butchered at Birth but to me the epitome of Cannibal Corpse and their best realease ever is The Bleeding.

Mortem - Amputator (1993)

Pure, no-frills Butchered at Birth worship.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 am 

Cool, that's almost exactly like CC. The tempo, the drums, everything. Glad you suggested it. Thanks a ton.

CityofScreamingStatues
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:43 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

So if someone can recommend something that is downright inspired by cannibal corpse(also stuff that inspired them).

You may be interested in Broken Hope's debut. More of a 'Eaten Back to Life' vibe.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269 ... 289  Next