Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:46 pm 

Check em out for sure man, everything I named is cool. Ton is sick, I've seen them live like 4 times hahaha. Early cannibal corpse worship has actually been my shit lately. Some shit you'll want to check out.

Regurgitation-Tales of Necrophilia
Mutilated-Regurgitated Genital Pulp
Operating Table-demo compilation (chinese band!!!)
Putrilage-Devouring the Gutted
Rotting- Crushed
Splattered Cadaver-Merciless Butchery
Brutus-Slachtbeest
Severe Torture-Feasting on Blood

I know there's more, but I'm just on my phone right now. I'll try to come up with more later on.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 am 

Spot on. These bands all have that CC vibe. So far heard Regurgitation, Mutilated, Putrilage and Severe Torture and all of them had that clear CC sound. Looking forward to hear more in this vein if I can find any.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:53 am 

Another set of bands I discovered:-

EDIT:---

Last edited by sonic_enemy_333 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:32 am 

Again, every one of those is really great. Looks like you're just going through old labels like United Guttural, Forever Underground, or Unmatched Brutality, which really isn't a bad idea at all. You're picking up a ton of classic brutal death metal, good job man. If you weren't already checking out those labels and their past releases, do so. FU was the label Putrilage and Mutilated released their full lengths on, and also had shit you'll like such as Gored, Beyond Fatal, Saprogenic, etc. Lots of labels from around that time released a lot of fun albums.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 am 

blarg223 wrote:
Again, every one of those is really great. Looks like you're just going through old labels like United Guttural, Forever Underground, or Unmatched Brutality, which really isn't a bad idea at all. You're picking up a ton of classic brutal death metal, good job man. If you weren't already checking out those labels and their past releases, do so. FU was the label Putrilage and Mutilated released their full lengths on, and also had shit you'll like such as Gored, Beyond Fatal, Saprogenic, etc. Lots of labels from around that time released a lot of fun albums.

Cool. Yeah I'm going through Lavadome.org and also going through RYM. The subscription of $5 is the best money one can spend. They have a ton of good suggestions and reviews. I was going through some of the labels you had mentioned in an earlier post. RYM is also a good source.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:48 am 

Hi guys, contentious thing to ask here, but I recently got into Deathcore yet found most bands in the genre kind of boring. I have a soft spot for it, but every single band I like in the genre mostly resides on the "Death Metal" side of the spectrum (i.e "metal enough to be here in the Archives") so I thought "fuck it, just listen to regular Death Metal". Of course, I have no idea where to start. But, I do have two examples of -core bands (which are both on the Archives) I do like. I understand that obviously no "real" Death Metal band is gonna sound like them, but I hope they at least provide someone with a idea of what kind of "trve" Death Metal I'd like:

Carnifex - Dark Days (i.e I'm looking for something with this kind of symphonic blacked death metal feel)

Witchking - Dead Roots (more traditional death metal-sounding, though I do like the tremolo picking)

Honestly, I'm interested in basically anything right now. I just want riffs and solos, nothing fancy. Feel free to recommend anything to me that isn't BDM/Slam (then again, I once liked a Whoretopsy song so...).

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:33 pm 

Man Must Die.

I've recommended these guys a page back, but I feel you'd dig them due to your predisposition with deathcore. Modern, technical, melodic and very riff-centric.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:33 pm 

Vadara wrote:
Hi guys, contentious thing to ask here, but I recently got into Deathcore yet found most bands in the genre kind of boring. I have a soft spot for it, but every single band I like in the genre mostly resides on the "Death Metal" side of the spectrum (i.e "metal enough to be here in the Archives") so I thought "fuck it, just listen to regular Death Metal". Of course, I have no idea where to start. But, I do have two examples of -core bands (which are both on the Archives) I do like. I understand that obviously no "real" Death Metal band is gonna sound like them, but I hope they at least provide someone with a idea of what kind of "trve" Death Metal I'd like:

Carnifex - Dark Days (i.e I'm looking for something with this kind of symphonic blacked death metal feel)

Witchking - Dead Roots (more traditional death metal-sounding, though I do like the tremolo picking)

Honestly, I'm interested in basically anything right now. I just want riffs and solos, nothing fancy. Feel free to recommend anything to me that isn't BDM/Slam (then again, I once liked a Whoretopsy song so...).

Seconding Man Must Die.

Also, you might want to check Dyscarnate and Carnation. Both really modern, heavy and pummeling death metal that might click with you if you come from a deathcore background.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:23 am 

Vadara wrote:

I'm suggesting some bands easy to listen to when getting into Death metal. They may not have a connection to one another except that they all have the basic qualities of death metal that other bands have drawn inspiration from. If you plan on listening to Death Metal proper these would be an excellent start unless you are already familiar with them.:

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:06 pm 

Hey Sonic Enemy, I remembered another Cannibal Corpse-esque bands, one I think you'll really dig. Exploding Zombies are a super-underrated Michigan band, they're even still around and get little-to-no recognition. This album is tight as shit, hope you dig it.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:14 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Seconding Man Must Die.

Also, you might want to check Dyscarnate and Carnation. Both really modern, heavy and pummeling death metal that might click with you if you come from a deathcore background.

Dyscarnate was quite interesting and what I was looking for. I was definitely surprised at how they sometimes used straight-up Hardcore breakdowns in their music, despite not being a Deathcore band in the slightest.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:53 pm 

Blarg223, good rec. That's exactly like CC.

In my exploration of Brutal DM I am going through the distros of Sevared, Comatose and Lavadome.org and discovered some good stuff lately.

A band that I really liked was Afterbirth. They are technical brutal DM and have a great echo-y drum sound.

Also really enjoyed Abhorred Despiser. Bands from Indonesia tend to have a really good sound. They don't screw around but rather deliver Brutal DM straight from the gut.

Another band that was really good was Corpseflesh

Also discovered Sinister(awesome sound)

and Rebaelliun(this band is really amazing. I think someone mentioned this band a few pages back)

And finally, I discovered some melodic death metal:

and some death/thrash

I'm also going through some of the recommendation made by 'hayisforhorses' and you a few pages back and still discovering good stuff from that list.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:04 am 

Vadara wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:
Seconding Man Must Die.

Dyscarnate was quite interesting and what I was looking for. I was definitely surprised at how they sometimes used straight-up Hardcore breakdowns in their music, despite not being a Deathcore band in the slightest.

Yes! Dyscarnate is a great gateway to get into death metal if you come from a deathcore background. Carnation is also really good at this

I'll even recommend Cattle Decapitation
The modern heavy sound might be appealing to you.

Soon enough you'll be enjoying things like Blood Red Throne, Obliteration and Dead Congregation. Then jump to Blood Incantation, Burial Invocation, Hooded Menace and Cruciamentum. And then you'll be ready to some more cavernous and awesome stuff like Incantation or Disma. Then close the deal with Demilich. It may take a long while. I remember the first time I listened to Demilich was like ugh.
I came from listening to purely deathcore too, and the classics (Morbid Angel, Obituary, Dismember, Entomber, etc) didn't do anything for me. I mean, in my mind I loved death metal, but the early stuff just sounded so dull to me. I jumped right into tech death because it sounded more exciting and heavy with modern production. But I took baby steps, and every now and then listened to pure death metal stuff to see if it clicked. They day it did... oh boy.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:14 am 

It was probably me that mentioned Rebaelliun, as that's one of my absolute favorite bands and one of my biggest influences when it comes to playing music as well. If you like them, check a little more into the Brazilian scene; a lot of bands from there have that high-velocity, blasting sound. In particular:

Holder
Exterminate
Funeratus
Kromorth
Havok 666
Krisiun
Abhorrence
Ophiolatry
Horned God
Laconist
Mental Horror
The Ordher
Nephasth
Oorlogsgoden

Check out this list for more similar recommendations that aren't from Brazil.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Morguelo ... h-metal/1/

P.s. RIP Fabiano from Rebaelliun. He passed away this past year. He was a great dude and one hell of a contributor to the Brazilian scene, also having played with Horned God and The Ordher.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:17 am 

blarg223 wrote:
It was probably me that mentioned Rebaelliun, as that's one of my absolute favorite bands and one of my biggest influences when it comes to playing music as well. If you like them, check a little more into the Brazilian scene; a lot of bands from there have that high-velocity, blasting sound. In particular:

Holder
Exterminate
Funeratus
Kromorth
Havok 666
Krisiun
Abhorrence
Ophiolatry
Horned God
Laconist
Mental Horror
The Ordher
Nephasth
Oorlogsgoden

Check out this list for more similar recommendations that aren't from Brazil.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Morguelo ... h-metal/1/

P.s. RIP Fabiano from Rebaelliun. He passed away this past year. He was a great dude and one hell of a contributor to the Brazilian scene, also having played with Horned God and The Ordher.

well yeah most of this stuff is new to me. I'll be sure to check out these bands.

Rebaelliun is definitely a quality band. (I have left a lot of good music undiscovered,)

I have been going through the blasting fury and the blasting sickness lists. Some of it is more accessible than some other stuff. Encenathrakh for example, is a difficult band to listen to. I am not a musician so I cannot describe precisely what they are doing that makes them inaccessible but I am guessing some of it has to do with their timing. I think they are either not keeping time at all or they are deliberately playing out of time. so being a jungle rot/bolt thrower fan I find it a bit far out. I was thinking of starting a thread to the effect that I want to know more about the techniques etc. of death metal music, especially brutal DM but didn't. I have a good sensibility for metal but some bands just throw a curveball.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:24 am 

Encenethrakh is a huge exception to most brutal death metal as far as musicality goes. The project is, from what I understand, entirely improvisational, so don't use that as any kind of a measuring stick for BDM techniques lol. They may or may not be playing in a time signature. Hahahaha that band is literally the absolute outer-limit of how extreme and inaccessible death metal can be, I've never heard anything like it. The only thing that comes even REMOTELY close would be like Mindly Rotten or the new Nosferatruxe album, or going the other way, maybe Portal (as far as indiscernible atmosphere goes maybe?) and none of those even really begin to touch it.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:37 am 

blarg223 wrote:
Encenethrakh is a huge exception to most brutal death metal as far as musicality goes. The project is, from what I understand, entirely improvisational, so don't use that as any kind of a measuring stick for BDM techniques lol. They may or may not be playing in a time signature. Hahahaha that band is literally the absolute outer-limit of how extreme and inaccessible death metal can be, I've never heard anything like it. The only thing that comes even REMOTELY close would be like Mindly Rotten or the new Nosferatruxe album, or going the other way, maybe Portal (as far as indiscernible atmosphere goes maybe?) and none of those even really begin to touch it.

Mindly Rotten is a good band. I totally understand it. I would define them as Cephalotripsy meets Brodequin because they use the cymbals in the same way that Cephalotripsy does and their blast beats are totally reminiscent of Brodequin.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 pm 

Encenethrakh is kinda weird cos 3/4 of that band are like total music nerd weirdos. I guess its just as if no more weird than their other bands, kinda free form brutal DM

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:40 pm 

'music nerd weirdos' haha ..

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:41 pm 

right now im having a lot of fun listening to Mindly rotten. It's more accessible than Encenekrath for sure.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:47 pm 

If you drop the "nerd" part, it's true for all 4 members. I assume you were excluding Paulo from that "3/4 of the band" crack, but that dude is a fucking nutcase too hahaha. I've heard wild stories of him doing Copremesis sets totally naked, running around like a lunatic. It only makes sense he would do some weird, conceptual shit like Encenathrakh. What else can you expect from a guy who fronted a band that had an entire album about tranny hookers?

I think the Flying Luttenbachers is the only related project that would be weirder, imo. Primarily because of the mishmash of styles and other instrumentation thrown in. At least from what I'm familiar with among the members projects, I haven't heard everything Weasel Walter has done, but yeah.

EDIT: First Mindly Rotten album is the only one that matters. It's basically the culmination of the Colombian scene, totally spastic, utterly inhuman. The rest of what they've done is basically forgettable Brain Drill-styled tech death.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:12 pm 

Yeah had heard similar stories around Copremesis really wish they could have put out some more stuff.

Weasel Walter is a nutcase, his back catalog is a litany of weird as fuck projects. Cropped up in a lot of random noise and grind compilations back in the day, total respect dude does whatever the fuck he wants.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:44 pm 

Totally agreed about Copremesis, I'd love to see them do more. I even have a Muay Thai Ladyboys t-shirt, which is super fucking rare, and I didn't pay a cent for it lol. If you guys like the super insane shit, you should definitely check out the Nosferatruxe album that came out this year. I don't care a lot for the vocals, the old guy Poovadol was a lot better, but he's not with them anymore. Really about as close as it gets to that first Mindly Rotten album.

SE, since you mentioned Indo BDM, I'm sure you've already seen it, but I also have a list of sick Indonesian bands on my RYM, don't sleep on that one either hahaha

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:39 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
EDIT: First Mindly Rotten album is the only one that matters. It's basically the culmination of the Colombian scene, totally spastic, utterly inhuman. The rest of what they've done is basically forgettable Brain Drill-styled tech death.

That Mindly Rotten debut is beyond sick. I got to credit Noktorn for getting me into them and the Columbian scene in general. They don't fuck around with their brutal death metal.

I've only got some Ancient Necropsy and Internal Suffering in my meager collection. 'The Most Exquisite Agonies" is my next one to get for sure. And then probably Amputated Genitals after that.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:13 pm 

I'm grateful that The Most Exquisite Agonies was reissued, though I liked the old art more, wish I could find a shirt with that art. I love that entire country, just about every brutal death metal band that comes from there is stupidly sick. It's all got the overly-raw signature sound, too.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:05 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
I've only got some Ancient Necropsy and Internal Suffering in my meager collection. 'The Most Exquisite Agonies" is my next one to get for sure. And then probably Amputated Genitals after that.

Id recommend adding Blaze Inside - Pure Potenciality to that list, IMO it is one of the best records in that scene, absolute frenzied chaos.

blarg223 wrote:
I even have a Muay Thai Ladyboys t-shirt, which is super fucking rare, and I didn't pay a cent for it lol.

Now im jealous. I managed to find an original copy of the Demonstrating the Fist demo for something ridiculous like €1 in a distro run by the dude from Dephosphorus, bought that and the first Inveracity album but it never turned up, dude was kind enough to send another copy of the Inveracity but that was the only copy of the demo he had still gutted.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:25 am 

Just got through listening to Holder,Exterminate,Funeratus,Kromorth,Havok 666,Krisiun,Abhorrence,Ophiolatry,Horned God,Nephasth

and I have to say that all of them were great. Particularly brilliant were Kromorth and Nephasth.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Id recommend adding Blaze Inside - Pure Potenciality to that list, IMO it is one of the best records in that scene, absolute frenzied chaos.

Thanks for the rec! I've heard nothing but great things from that album. The weirder, the more chaotic, the better.

Don't know if it's just me but I've become somewhat nostalgic for this type of over-the-top, technical brutal death metal sound. I remember being really into it around 2005-2009. I suppose my fatigue with vinyl collecting and new OSDM may have something to do with it lol.

zen3001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:06 am 

blarg223 wrote:
Hey Sonic Enemy, I remembered another Cannibal Corpse-esque bands, one I think you'll really dig. Exploding Zombies are a super-underrated Michigan band, they're even still around and get little-to-no recognition. This album is tight as shit, hope you dig it.

Heh, love that evil dead intro

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:06 am 

Basically looking for some more Death/Doom bands, preferably more on the Death Metal side. Runemagick, Asphyx, Hooded Menace, and early Paradise Lost are bands I like so far, but I wouldn't mind something even heavier, darker, and slower. Preferably no clean vocals or atleast kept to few guest spots.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:34 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Basically looking for some more Death/Doom bands, preferably more on the Death Metal side. Runemagick, Asphyx, Hooded Menace, and early Paradise Lost are bands I like so far, but I wouldn't mind something even heavier, darker, and slower. Preferably no clean vocals or atleast kept to few guest spots.

Disembowelment "Transcendence into the Peripheral"
Winter "Into Darkness"
Autopsy "Mental Funeral"

All of the above are classic examples of early Death/Doom. Also check out Incantation "Onward...", "Mortal..." and "Diabolical...".

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:54 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:

Maybe you are already familar with these.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:26 am 

Some more death/doom:

Thergothon
Thorns of the Carrion
Asphyx
Coffins
Sorrow
Rippikoulu
Delirium
Funerus
Decomposed
Accidental Suicide
Dusk
Supuration
Anatomia
Wormridden

Mostly older stuff.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:32 am 

^Are you aware that Dusk is back together? I heard a new song and it sounds really good.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:54 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:

I’d recommend Derketa. They have a similar vibe to Incantation and Asphyx.
Spoiler: show

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:16 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:

If you ever come back to check out the recommendations put forth (which a lot never do :roll: ) then i recommend checking out Indesinence - Vessels of Light and Decay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMtz34LRl2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibW6LC_rWnQ

My collection

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:54 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:

Divine Eve, Sempiternal Deathreign, Ceremonium's second album...

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:21 pm 

What about some angsty melodic death metal with enchanting melodies? Stuff like In Flames - The Jester Race or this newer song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbzUj916bEc. Xantam's LifeDeathBeyond tape has sort of similar mesmerizing melodies in places: https://bloodharvestrecords.bandcamp.com/album/lifedeathbeyond-tape.

Doom/melodeath stuff like Noumena is angsty, although it doesn't have that type of melody I think, like the sometimes-waltzing, maybe pseudo-classical (?) melodies of the In Flames stuff or the Xantam demo (like the famous main riff of "Moonshield" or the riff starting at 2:16 of "Transcendence (Crucify Me)").

Just any kind of melodic death metal with strong melodies and that isn't in the usual thrash metal or metalcore influenced styles that spawned from SotS or the rock-y type of melodeath like Dark Tranquillity or the albums that followed The Jester Race would also be fine.

Tridentwrath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:26 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:

Disembowelment "Transcendence into the Peripheral"
Winter "Into Darkness"
Autopsy "Mental Funeral"

All of the above are classic examples of early Death/Doom. Also check out Incantation "Onward...", "Mortal..." and "Diabolical...".

Also Inverloch, 2 members from Disembowelment and is a continuation of disembowelment under a new name as they reformed with only 2 original members.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm 

If you want some good melo death then I might have some suggestions. As that is what I have been listening to lately.

Eucharist
Insanity
Excretion
Torchure
Gates of Ishtar
The Chasm
Arghoslent
Desultory
Burial
Mercyless
Eternal Dirge
Krabathor

Some of these are pure death metal but could be classified melodic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 289  Next