Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 pm 

Nocturnus's The Key I'd say has pretty intelligible vocals. Edge of Sanity also tends to be fairly easy to understand.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:55 pm 

worm king wrote:
Hey guys, just a few weeks ago the cog in my brain clicked over and I can now begin to appreciate and like death metal. After years and years of "just not getting it" I'm beginning to feel this shit! So far I'm digging Death, the new Possessed, some bloodbath, some Vader, etc. I am definitely digging some newer bands like Gatecreeper and Blood Incantation but here's my problem - I Get pissed off listening to it because while the music is dope, I cant really hear the vocals so I end up feeling frustrated. Why would you spend time crafting lyrics If you're just going to have them turned down so low we can't fuckin hear them?

Can you guys turn me on to some bands similar to Gatecreeper (for example) but that have more understandable

it sounds like death metal isn't for you, thanks for trying though!

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:08 am 

I am back to listening to Cannibal Corpse any suggestions for bands inspired by their sound?

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:38 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I am back to listening to Cannibal Corpse any suggestions for bands inspired by their sound?

Check out Infestment. This is yet another side project from Justin Stubbs of Father Befouled. The song writing is early Barnes worship.

Spoiler: show

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:22 pm 

overtenmy wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Check out Infestment. This is yet another side project from Justin Stubbs of Father Befouled. The song writing is early Barnes worship.

That's some good stuff indeed. I'm using crappy earphones so can't get the best sound but enough to know that it's good stuff.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:11 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Enough like early Corpsegrinder style?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Wb8sCJBEFAU[/youtube]

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:39 pm 

Cool. Actually I am already familiar with Severe Torture.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:15 pm 

Looking for some booming, murky death metal with dark ambient effects and Satanic imagery.

Something like this perhaps:

(the ambient effects come in at 5:26)

Already familiar with Imprecation, Infester, etc... but much less familiar with more recent death metal.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:40 pm 

I'm looking for instrumental Brutal (or even Brutal/Technical) Death Metal bands. I need to spent some times with truly heavy riffs but without growls. Thanks

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:47 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Looking for some booming, murky death metal with dark ambient effects and Satanic imagery.

Already familiar with Imprecation, Infester, etc... but much less familiar with more recent death metal.

Are you familiar with Teitanblood?

Maybe Wrathprayer or even Necros Christos. The dark ambient part is tricky because most bands do that stuff in interludes, etc.

Triumvir Foul too:

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:56 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:

Check out Ritual Chamber. The drummer from Infester and Drawn and Quartered performs all of the instruments and vocals.

Angeloder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:11 pm 

Any albums/bands with a scream bloody gore tone? I don't care if it's a blatant rip-off or whatever, I really like the tone of the guitars and the speed and energy of the riffs and solos. I also like the bass tone a lot but it is not a must

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:03 pm 

If a great mix of Black/Death/Doom is your thing then Soulburn release their fourth album "Noa's D'ark" on November 13. Always worth checking out anything Eric Daniels is involved in and this sounds bloody good.

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:51 pm 

need some super fast tech death like this. sounds like a mix of Viraemia and Gigan

https://deathcomet.bandcamp.com/track/alien-angel

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:54 pm 

technical CC

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/M ... %29/126930

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

bUwUrzum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:24 pm 

im looking for something *absolutely pissed* like anaal nathrakh. im also down for anything that sounds like cattle decapitations last three albums.

thanks.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:11 pm 

bUwUrzum wrote:
im looking for something *absolutely pissed* like anaal nathrakh. im also down for anything that sounds like cattle decapitations last three albums.

thanks.

Anaal Nathrakh is one of my favorite bands.

Some of these might not be death metal entirely though, but I feel like Anaal Nathrakh mixes several styles so i think it's fair. The following are generally some mix of death, black, grindcore and sludge:

Dragged Into Sunlight:

https://youtu.be/gSbGdw6Rowk

Knelt Rote:

https://youtu.be/uX2syFaMGk0

Axis of Advance:

https://youtu.be/fEwzNeUpoz8

Bastard Feast:

https://youtu.be/yWJEVP-RmcU

Make Them Die Slowly (members of Anaal Nathrakh):

https://youtu.be/oGkVym69IxY

Born to Murder the World (members of Anaal Nathrakh and Napalm Death):

https://youtu.be/AZAPqk6JI-g

Dendritic Arbor:

https://youtu.be/X1couMbohTM

bUwUrzum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:57 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
bUwUrzum wrote:

thanks.

Anaal Nathrakh is one of my favorite bands.

Some of these might not be death metal entirely though, but I feel like Anaal Nathrakh mixes several styles so i think it's fair. The following are generally some mix of death, black, grindcore and sludge:

Dragged Into Sunlight:

https://youtu.be/gSbGdw6Rowk

Knelt Rote:

https://youtu.be/uX2syFaMGk0

Axis of Advance:

https://youtu.be/fEwzNeUpoz8

Bastard Feast:

https://youtu.be/yWJEVP-RmcU

Make Them Die Slowly (members of Anaal Nathrakh):

https://youtu.be/oGkVym69IxY

Born to Murder the World (members of Anaal Nathrakh and Napalm Death):

https://youtu.be/AZAPqk6JI-g

Dendritic Arbor:

https://youtu.be/X1couMbohTM

this is exactly what im looking for! thanks! im familiar with dragged into sunlight but the rest is new to me :)

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:07 am 

Name of the band?
https://vocaroo.com/1j9nRJbfbjLc

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:08 am 

Can anyone recommend more bands quite similar to the goregrind/Death metal era early Carcass? I checked their first three albums recently, in particular Symphonies of Sickness was amazing, I only originally knew their later stuff but these albums are way better! What a pity they don't play anything close to that sound anymore. Nice and heavy and fast as well please :)

Boychev
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:06 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Can anyone recommend more bands quite similar to the goregrind/Death metal era early Carcass? I checked their first three albums recently, in particular Symphonies of Sickness was amazing, I only originally knew their later stuff but these albums are way better! What a pity they don't play anything close to that sound anymore. Nice and heavy and fast as well please :)

Napalm Death's Mentally Murdered EP (1989) has Bill Steer on guitar and is very much in the same death/grind style - obviously without the gore and more on the side of grind.

I've always lumped in Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos with Carcass' first couple of albums as well, the filthy riffs are really in the same spirit, though used for different purposes.

As for Carcass-worship, check out:
Necrony - Pathological Performances (1993)
General Surgery - Necrology EP (1991)
Pathologist - Grinding Opus of Forensic Medical Problems (1993)

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:24 am 

mike_87 wrote:

Try Pharmacist - Medical Renditions of Grinding Decomposition. Strong Symphonies of Sickness influence on that album. I'll also second Necrony - Pathological Performances. It's basically the Swedish take on the early Carcass sound.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:34 pm 

Anyone know of any death metal put out in 2020 that would be comparable to early to mid 1990s era Suffocation? This style of death metal seems to have completely disappeared in recent years.

Boychev
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:39 am 

Required Fields wrote:
Anyone know of any death metal put out in 2020 that would be comparable to early to mid 1990s era Suffocation? This style of death metal seems to have completely disappeared in recent years.

I've yet to hear it but Disavowed have a new album out and they used to be one of the best Suffo-clones.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:22 pm 

I've been obsessed with the Spectral Voice debut for the past week or so-- any recommendations on death metal or death/doom that has a similarly spacey, mystical vibe? The dISEMBOWELMENT album would also be in the vein of what I'm looking for.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:08 pm 

Can anyone recommend all the really good stuff from this year? So far I've really enjoyed Defeated Sanity's latest, Undeath's new album and Faceless Burial.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:40 pm 

wraithlike wrote:
Can anyone recommend all the really good stuff from this year? So far I've really enjoyed Defeated Sanity's latest, Undeath's new album and Faceless Burial.

Ulcerate's "Stare Into Death and Be Still" is pretty amazing tech death.

Omegavortex's "Black Abomination Spawn" is another good'un.

rampagegandalf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:48 am 

I'm really into Morbid Angel's first album Altars because it kind of meshed Thrash and Death metal together (I also like their next two albums as well). However, as I venture more into death metal I find myself lost between "melody" and "heaviness", with melody not being heavy enough and heaviness/brutal not having enough melody to it. I feel like Morbid Angel is able to create songs that are still somewhat dynamic and melodic while still heavy, instead of constant speeding double kick drums and tempos or lightish, not really heavy melodies. I guess to put it in terms of Cannibal Corpse, I prefer Torture over Kill (specifically songs like Scourge, As Deep as the Knife, and Caged Contorted). Any recommendations for death metal?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:09 am 

rampagegandalf wrote:
I'm really into Morbid Angel's first album Altars because it kind of meshed Thrash and Death metal together (I also like their next two albums as well). However, as I venture more into death metal I find myself lost between "melody" and "heaviness", with melody not being heavy enough and heaviness/brutal not having enough melody to it. I feel like Morbid Angel is able to create songs that are still somewhat dynamic and melodic while still heavy, instead of constant speeding double kick drums and tempos or lightish, not really heavy melodies. I guess to put it in terms of Cannibal Corpse, I prefer Torture over Kill (specifically songs like Scourge, As Deep as the Knife, and Caged Contorted). Any recommendations for death metal?

Beheaded might work for you, especially the latest album and Never to Dawn. Assuming I understood what you meant by heavy melodies.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:36 am 

wraithlike wrote:

Ulcerate, Pyrrhon, Black Curse, Bloodsoaked Necrovoid, Bedsore, Vassafor, Voidceremony, Omegavortex, Of Feather and Bone, Karmacipher, Khthoniik Cerviiks...

Juno_A
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:14 pm 

Hello, everyone! I hope everyone that reads this has a great day! I'm posting here because I'm hoping to find more bands for a particular purpose. So a couple of years ago, while looking for music for studying and writing, I found one particular genre of music that satisfied this objective: Technical brutal death metal! No, seriously, I've found that if the dynamics in volume and intensity remain the same throughout, I can successfully tune it out and focus on the task at hand. For whatever reason, I made a brutal death metal playlist out of whatever brutal death metal I had collected over the years, and... discovered that it's not very big, LOL.

Now, weirdly enough, I can't do ALL tech/brutal death – for whatever reason, super slow breakdowns tend to break my concentration, which is why I can't seem to use Defeated Sanity for this purpose – every time I listen to one of their albums, I keep encountering super slow sections too often for my liking, and by the third breakdown, I'm compelled to change the album entirely. I'm sure they're good and all, but for my intended purposes, I can't use them.

Bands and eras that DO work for me: early Cryptopsy, early Suffocation, Wormed with Quasineutrality and onwards, recent Dying Fetus, Origin, Brain Drill, Deeds of Flesh, Decrepit Birth's ... And Time Begins

So yeah. Tech/brutal death that's light or even lacking breakdowns. Thanks a ton for your time, and feel free to recommend obvious stuff to me, too – I might have heard of them, but I actually listen to a lot of different stuff, so I might have missed something anyway.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:42 pm 

Juno_A wrote:
Hello, everyone! I hope everyone that reads this has a great day! I'm posting here because I'm hoping to find more bands for a particular purpose. So a couple of years ago, while looking for music for studying and writing, I found one particular genre of music that satisfied this objective: Technical brutal death metal! No, seriously, I've found that if the dynamics in volume and intensity remain the same throughout, I can successfully tune it out and focus on the task at hand. For whatever reason, I made a brutal death metal playlist out of whatever brutal death metal I had collected over the years, and... discovered that it's not very big, LOL.

Now, weirdly enough, I can't do ALL tech/brutal death – for whatever reason, super slow breakdowns tend to break my concentration, which is why I can't seem to use Defeated Sanity for this purpose – every time I listen to one of their albums, I keep encountering super slow sections too often for my liking, and by the third breakdown, I'm compelled to change the album entirely. I'm sure they're good and all, but for my intended purposes, I can't use them.

Bands and eras that DO work for me: early Cryptopsy, early Suffocation, Wormed with Quasineutrality and onwards, recent Dying Fetus, Origin, Brain Drill, Deeds of Flesh, Decrepit Birth's ... And Time Begins

So yeah. Tech/brutal death that's light or even lacking breakdowns. Thanks a ton for your time, and feel free to recommend obvious stuff to me, too – I might have heard of them, but I actually listen to a lot of different stuff, so I might have missed something anyway.

Nile? Artificial Brain?

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:07 am 

Looking forward to hearing more like Incantation[Mortal Throne of Nazarene]

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:02 pm 

I've been going through an OSDM phase lately, with bands à la Timeghoul, Demilich, Nocturnus and early Gorguts, and of modern bands who are exploring this kind of sound with bands like Blood Incantation, Chthe'ilist and Tomb Mold. I was hoping to find new bands who would be playing a somewhat similar brand of death metal, old or new.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HeavenDuff on Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:19 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Looking forward to hearing more like Incantation[Mortal Throne of Nazarene]

It seems like every third new death metal band these days is an Incantation worship band. :lol:

Grisly Bare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:44 am 

I'm not big into Death Metal but I do like Dying Fetus a lot, specifically their last 3 albums. I particularly like John Gallagher's low vocals. I'm looking for bands that sound like this.

I'm not well versed in many Death Metal bands, for instance, the Dying Fetus Similar Artists tab has Suffocation at the top, and I've never heard a Suffocation song before. So I checked out some of their stuff and didn't find anything I'd care to listen to a 2nd time. It felt like a wall of sound without any good riffs, and I wasn't a fan of the vocals. I get the impression that Dying Fetus is not as fast as a lot of other Death Metal bands, so perhaps I'd be more into something slower?

Over time I've heard random tracks from Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Nile, Cryptopsy, Cattle Decapitation, etc. but I only like a couple of tracks here and there and certainly never an entire album (except Nile, never heard anything from them that I like). So please if you can recommend a Dying Fetus clone that would be great!

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:22 pm 

Grisly Bare wrote:
I'm not big into Death Metal but I do like Dying Fetus a lot, specifically their last 3 albums. I particularly like John Gallagher's low vocals. I'm looking for bands that sound like this.

I'm not well versed in many Death Metal bands, for instance, the Dying Fetus Similar Artists tab has Suffocation at the top, and I've never heard a Suffocation song before. So I checked out some of their stuff and didn't find anything I'd care to listen to a 2nd time. It felt like a wall of sound without any good riffs, and I wasn't a fan of the vocals. I get the impression that Dying Fetus is not as fast as a lot of other Death Metal bands, so perhaps I'd be more into something slower?

Over time I've heard random tracks from Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Nile, Cryptopsy, Cattle Decapitation, etc. but I only like a couple of tracks here and there and certainly never an entire album (except Nile, never heard anything from them that I like). So please if you can recommend a Dying Fetus clone that would be great!

I wouldn't say they are a clone, but you might like stuff by Misery Index. Their older material has more grindcore elements than their more recent material. So if you like modern Dying Fetus, maybe listen to the newest Misery Index and work your way back to see if you like their older stuff.

As for Suffocation, you might have not listened to the stuff that is similar to Dying Fetus because they do have a lot of similar elements.

Oh, and maybe Deeds of Flesh. Also starting with their most recent material.

Y_owi_E
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:31 pm 

Quote:

As someone else mentioned... Nile could do the trick. Other bands I recommend - Origin, Necrophagist, Sickening Horror (When Landscapes Bled Backwards), Hate Eternal.
It's not tech-death, but Lock Up - Demonization could be worth checking out.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:00 am 

Grisly Bare wrote:
So please if you can recommend a Dying Fetus clone that would be great!

Soils of Fate - Crime Syndicate
https://youtu.be/iIwn1yQuQ28

marcus2020
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:13 pm 

If someone can suggest a band that sounds just like Gorgasm but does NOT have ANY misogynistic rape/sexual deviance lyrics, hook me up with it.

Please, don't tell me you can't make out what they say as an excuse.

AND DO NOT SUGGEST ANY BRUTAL DEATH METAL/TECH DEATH MIX BANDS LIKE ORIGIN OR ANY OF THEIR SOUNDALIKES.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284 ... 289  Next