Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:15 pm 

I don't know Gorgasm very well, I'll just link a brutal death metal (well straddling the OSDM/BDM border) song with no "shock value" stuff whatsoever:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

marcus2020
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:22 pm 

Sorry, but I looked up some of their other lyrics, and they have lyrics as shocking as Gorgasm, Prostitute Disfigurement, etc., in some other songs I looked up.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... 7503#66436
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... 08#5310875
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... 08#5310867

The bands I want people to recommend must have NO lyrics like that at all in any songs.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:25 pm 

Then just listen to Molested.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:57 pm 

Spoiler: show
marcus2020 wrote:
Sorry, but I looked up some of their other lyrics, and they have lyrics as shocking as Gorgasm, Prostitute Disfigurement, etc., in some other songs I looked up.

The bands I want people to recommend must have NO lyrics like that at all in any songs.

Sounds like you need to accept that you're just a fucking faggot and brutal death metal is not for people like you. Gore and rape lyrics are just part of it, you should fuck back off to thrash or any other teenybopper genre.a

Last edited by hakarl on Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
User was banned for this post. Don't be a fucking moron

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:02 pm 

LOL.
Try Wormed and also Dripping is pretty good but its very abstract/experimental and I have no earthly idea what their songs are about

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:27 pm 

^
Since most of people in this thread (hopefully) don't mind requests about "moderately extreme" death metal bands/albums, I guess I can take this opportunity to ask about something similar.

I'm looking for death/black or black/death metal albums (plus I don't mind some death/doom/black or death/heavy/black metal albums) that have quite a dark atmosphere/mood, many (slow/mid tempo and/or intense/powerful fast tempo) death metal parts, AND also have a few slow parts with similar melodies and/or black metal riffs (that remind me of all the sad and beautiful *winter/forest* nature-inspired atmospheric black metal albums):

https://youtu.be/3hiTvtM5hoY (1:10-1:23 and 2:31-3:11)
https://www.jamendo.com/track/476455/path-of-secrets (1:39-2:40 and 3:16-4:17)

Preferably not too complex/progressive/dissonant, and I'm not a fan of symphonic extreme metal albums either. The simpler and more repetitive music is, the better.
Great vocal performances with (any kind of) growls and some nature-related lyrical themes+imagery would be perfect, but albums with some other kinds of vocals and without hateful/violent lyrics+imagery also fit into the request.

I hope this request is not too broad.
I know almost nothing about bands/albums from these subgenres and, according to search results by genres on MA, there are so many death/black and black/death metal bands out there that I don't even know where to start.., and, above all, I just feel that a lot of them are way too extheme and too aggressive/hateful for me (both musically and lyrically).
As a huge fan of more atmospheric and less aggressive metal albums, I've checked out some bands from this list - https://www.metal-archives.com/search/a ... ame=#bands, but it seems many of those bands prefer(red) much more sinister and disturbing side of black metal (for example, the atmosphere and mood on this demo by Dark Mighty Thought are too dark/hateful for me - https://youtu.be/NbygP1w_1dw, so I'm not able to listen to / to get into it).

So, could anyone give me some "moderately dark and extreme" death/black or black/death metal suggestions?
Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited by sjal on Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:53 pm 

Try Suffering's Sowing the Seeds of Suffering. The band is labeled as black/doom metal here on the MA, but they're more like mid paced black metal band with some touches of death metal (think of Soulside Journey here and there.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:54 pm 

colin040, thanks for the recommendation!

Death metal albums with black metal parts+vibe/influence are preferred, but recommendations of black metal albums with some death metal touches/parts+influence are also very welcome. :)

I like the sound of the music, all the repetitive guitar riffs, and all those long parts with guitar melodies.
There are no parts with that very specific 'slow, sad, and beautiful black metal' kind of mood/atmosphere and melodies I asked for (I guess it's a subjective feeling, but the melodies from my examples are calmer, smoother, and have an emphasis on sadness, whereas all the riffs/solos from "Sowing The Seeds of Suffering" have kind of... 'nervous' mood), but I quite enjoy all the music on this album anyway.

Edit:
I guess this kind of 'dark'/'nervous' melody is quite typical for death metal-related albums...
I've just discovered the album "In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead" by Unanimated - I like the vocals and all the intense metal parts on this album, and there are some softer-sounding guitar solos/melodies and non-metal parts, but (apart from the calm, sad, and beautiful acoustic intro on "At Dawn / Whispering Shadows") all those softer parts have rather a dark atmosphere and mood. I understand that it makes sense because the music fits with the atmosphere+the mood in the lyrics, but that's exactly what my problem is - it makes the album too dark and extreme for me. So, that's why I'm looking for albums that have some calm-er (both musically and in terms of mood/atmosphere) parts + with less dark/hateful lyrics in general.

Last edited by sjal on Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:40 pm 

If anyone's looking for more death metal in the vein of The Chasm's Procreation of the Inner Temple, there's this demo-only band named Grace of Despair. It features the same sort of introspective vibe.

marcus2020
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:32 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
marcus2020 wrote:

Sounds like you need to accept that you're just a fucking faggot and brutal death metal is not for people like you. Gore and rape lyrics are just part of it, you should fuck back off to thrash or any other teenybopper genre.a

Sadly, I expected bullying and abusive comments from people who obviously seem to be against me finding what I want.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:49 pm 

If anyone's looking for some old school, surreal-as-hell OSDM:

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:44 pm 

sjal wrote:
^
Since most of people in this thread (hopefully) don't mind requests about "moderately extreme" death metal bands/albums, I guess I can take this opportunity to ask about something similar.

I'm looking for death/black or black/death metal albums (plus I don't mind some death/doom/black or death/heavy/black metal albums) that have quite a dark atmosphere/mood, many (slow/mid tempo and/or intense/powerful fast tempo) death metal parts, AND also have a few slow parts with similar melodies and/or black metal riffs (that remind me of all the sad and beautiful *winter/forest* nature-inspired atmospheric black metal albums)

you might dig Desolate Shrine's Sanctum of Human Darkness

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:25 am 

sjal wrote:
^

I'm looking for death/black or black/death metal albums (plus I don't mind some death/doom/black or death/heavy/black metal albums) that have quite a dark atmosphere/mood, many (slow/mid tempo and/or intense/powerful fast tempo) death metal parts, AND also have a few slow parts with similar melodies and/or black metal riffs (that remind me of all the sad and beautiful *winter/forest* nature-inspired atmospheric black metal albums):

https://youtu.be/3hiTvtM5hoY (1:10-1:23 and 2:31-3:11)
https://www.jamendo.com/track/476455/path-of-secrets (1:39-2:40 and 3:16-4:17)

Preferably not too complex/progressive/dissonant, and I'm not a fan of symphonic extreme metal albums either. The simpler and more repetitive music is, the better.
Great vocal performances with (any kind of) growls and some nature-related lyrical themes+imagery would be perfect, but albums with some other kinds of vocals and without hateful/violent lyrics+imagery also fit into the request.

I hope this request is not too broad.
I know almost nothing about bands/albums from these subgenres and, according to search results by genres on MA, there are so many death/black and black/death metal bands out there that I don't even know where to start.., and, above all, I just feel that a lot of them are way too extheme and too aggressive/hateful for me (both musically and lyrically).
As a huge fan of more atmospheric and less aggressive metal albums, I've checked out some bands from this list - https://www.metal-archives.com/search/a ... ame=#bands, but it seems many of those bands prefer(red) much more sinister and disturbing side of black metal (for example, the atmosphere and mood on this demo by Dark Mighty Thought are too dark/hateful for me - https://youtu.be/NbygP1w_1dw, so I'm not able to listen to / to get into it).

So, could anyone give me some "moderately dark and extreme" death/black or black/death metal suggestions?
Thanks in advance. :)

Try Vassafor, repetitive death/black/doom. They are extreme but never overwhelming and the atmosphere is really dark.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:57 am 

colin040 wrote:
If anyone's looking for some old school, surreal-as-hell OSDM:

Yo colin this was fucking awesome, and I demand someone reissue this now! Dark Descent I'm calling on you for vinyl and cd reissues! :-D
Fucking magic. Nice find.

sjal wrote:

I'm looking for death/black or black/death metal albums (plus I don't mind some death/doom/black or death/heavy/black metal albums) that have quite a dark atmosphere/mood, many (slow/mid tempo and/or intense/powerful fast tempo) death metal parts, AND also have a few slow parts with similar melodies and/or black metal riffs (that remind me of all the sad and beautiful *winter/forest* nature-inspired atmospheric black metal albums)

See if I can help out here. Not sure if hitting the mark though.

Morast - Il nostro silenzio
Mostly mid-paced/slow, but darkly atmospheric doom/death, which to me seems to lean into black metal territory. Almost relaxing.

Indesinence - Vessels of Light and Decay
Weighty, moody, shimmering dream-like darkness, and damn heavy. Long songs that develop nicely over their course.

Worm - Gloomlord
Not sure what you'll make of this amalgam of death/black/doom. It's it's own thing.

Misery's Omen - Hope Dies
Magical, unsettling and is what it is black/doom. Don't let the small progressive tag throw you here, you would be missing out on a true gem.

My collection

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:14 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Yo colin this was fucking awesome, and I demand someone reissue this now! Dark Descent I'm calling on you for vinyl and cd reissues! :-D
Fucking magic. Nice find.

Hey Crushed! Good to see you again and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Here's something else you might enjoy that you might not have heard. Infesticide's Envenoming Wounds; think of a band that channels early Morbid Angel in terms of intense riffing without coming off like a worship / copy band.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:47 am 

Right back at ya man! Pity that Makrothumia album only has a cassette release, or I'd buy it immediately. That Infesticide track ripped, had a cleaner production than I was expecting, but takes nothing away from the ferocity in their song writing - it's vicious. They remind me of these guys

Another killer band that channels Morbid Angel without aping.

My collection

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:12 am 

Maybe I have asked this before but can anyone recommend some rolling, casual sounding death metal in the vein of Jungle Rot

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:32 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Right back at ya man! Pity that Makrothumia album only has a cassette release, or I'd buy it immediately. That Infesticide track ripped, had a cleaner production than I was expecting, but takes nothing away from the ferocity in their song writing - it's vicious. They remind me of these guys

Another killer band that channels Morbid Angel without aping.

I actually had to think of that band, too, but honesty they seem to lack something to me with that album. Brilliant cover artwork though!

Anyone here heard of Utterance from Brazil? Their debut EP rips; heavy, unpredictable and twisted death metal that's certainly promising.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:24 pm 

wraithlike, Gravetemplar, CrushedRevelation, many thanks for the interesting recommendations and for the examples+descriptions!
I'm very grateful for your help. :)

Sorry for the late reply. Here is some feedback:

wraithlike wrote:
you might dig Desolate Shrine's Sanctum of Human Darkness

I'm actually a fan of Desolate Shrine (thanks to discussions and recommendations on the forum, because it was a 'random' death metal discovery from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118137 ) - I guess their style is rather boring by more experienced death metal fans' standards, but I quite enjoy Desolate Shrine's heavy sound, dark atmosphere, and harsh vocals, so I have all of their albums and looking forward to a new one.
I didn't mention any Desolate Shrine's songs as an example of what I'm looking for because all the slow/softer-sounding (both metal and non-metal) riffs/solos/melodies on their albums are rather dark/dissonant (plus even if the lyrics+imagery on their albums are not extremely hateful/violent/disturbing for me and don't bother me way too much, it's still not the kind of lyrics+imagery that is preferred for this request), but their repetitive mid/slow tempo songs with some intense fast tempo parts are indeed a good example of what I consider "moderately extreme" death/doom/black metal.

Gravetemplar wrote:
Try Vassafor, repetitive death/black/doom. They are extreme but never overwhelming and the atmosphere is really dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YmsUoKUeQw

Yes, this song has a really dark and powerful atmosphere and sound.
I don't think I've ever heard of Vassafor before, but I've checked out the band's "similar artists" page on MA and I've seen a few band names that I know (because some of their albums were on the "Top Albums of the Decade'' list on the MA forum). I remember that I listened to some songs by those bands and I quite liked their dark and powerful sounds, but I also remember that I was not able to get into any of those bands/albums because their music, lyrics, and imagery were way too aggressive/chaotic. A more repetitive and less overwhelming style is definitely a plus, but Vassafor's lyrical themes and imagery also seem too aggressive for me tbh. Well, I'll give Vassafor a try anyway. This band doesn't seem like the kinds of bands who are into calm, sad, and beautiful melodies at all, but there are a few slow calm-er parts on the song "Archeonaut's Return", which is a big plus. I'd prefer songs/albums with natural-sounding extreme vocals (because a sound of distorted vocals is unpleasant to my ears and it tends to make songs too extreme and disturbing/aggressive), but all the vocals on "Archeonaut's Return" are kind of drowning in the mix and the song is not vocal oriented in general, so they don't bother me that much.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Morast - Il nostro silenzio
Mostly mid-paced/slow, but darkly atmospheric doom/death, which to me seems to lean into black metal territory. Almost relaxing.

Wow, this is such an amazing and unexpected recommendation. Atmospheric doom/death is one of my all-time favorite metal subgenres, so if lyrics/imagery on an album don't bother me too much, I can get into almost any album in this subgenre. "Il Nostro Silenzio" is no exception. <3
I've listened to this album and I really like the music - it's pretty repetitive and not too complex/extreme, but it has such a dark sound, mood, and atmosphere! I love the harsh vocals as well.
Some parts on the album definitely give me a black metal feeling/vibe: there is one part on the song "Il Nostro Silenzio" (on 4:43-5:46) that has a calmer mood and sounds quite similar to the slow, calm, and sad atmospheric black metal-inspired melodies/riffs that I'm looking for, but as for the rest of parts with some black metal vibe, they have rather a 'nervous' mood and make me think of much more unsettling subgenres of black metal, and not of relaxing atmospheric nature-inspired ones.
This is particularly noticeable on the song "RLS" which has a really dark atmosphere and a certain kind of slow nervous 'melody' that remind me of a mood and atmosphere on some very unsettling and extremely emotional black/doom metal and depressive black metal songs. Something that is closer to a mood and atmosphere on these songs/albums, I guess - https://youtu.be/-K6_ILLwjv8, https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Mercenar ... depression. But the difference is that the vocal style on ''Il Nostro Silenzio'' is not that loud or hysterical/desperate/hateful, the music is mostly mid/slow tempo, and even the fast and intense parts are not too extreme, so this album is definitely more accessible for me and therefore I don't mind all these nervous melodies.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Indesinence - Vessels of Light and Decay
Weighty, moody, shimmering dream-like darkness, and damn heavy. Long songs that develop nicely over their course.

Indesinence's style is also very close to what I consider "moderately extreme''.
The song "Fading (Further Beyond)" is indeed dark, heavy, and very exciting (but not too complex and exhausting) to listen to; the vocal performance is very impressive as well.
The long song duration is a plus because there are many quite long repetitive parts and some build-ups/transitions between slow and fast+aggressive parts. There is also a short slow part on 4:57-5:25 that sounds very similar to the kinds of sad, calm, and beautiful melodies/riffs that I'm looking for, plus there are two sad and very atmospheric short parts between 6:08 and 6:43, which is also a big plus because all these calm/softer-sounding parts make the listening process a little easier for me. So, I'll definitely give the album ''Vessels of Light and Decay'' a try.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Worm - Gloomlord
Not sure what you'll make of this amalgam of death/black/doom. It's it's own thing.

This song is awesome. I like how the song starts off with the slow and "moderately extreme" part (plus the melody on 1:34-2:12 is very sad and beautiful) and becomes progressively more extreme/"as extreme as possible". I'm not sure if I can get into this album (I like the sound of the music and the guitar + drum playing, but the mood, the atmosphere, and the imagery are too dark and disturbing for me, plus the harsh vocals+the style of singing are too 'inhuman' and the vocal effects make the song even more extreme and disturbing), but I'll give it a try.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Misery's Omen - Hope Dies
Magical, unsettling and is what it is black/doom. Don't let the small progressive tag throw you here, you would be missing out on a true gem.

I don't mind extreme metal albums with some "moderately'' progressive approach, i.e. when song structures and guitar+drum playing are not too complex/not too chaotic, and when it doesn't make the listening process too exhausting.
I like this song, and I'm a fan of black/doom metal in general and I listen to albums from this subgenre quite often these days, so I'll check out the album "Hope Dies" ASAP.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:08 pm 

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting in this help thread, I was just wondering if I could get help on these two queries- I don't listen to that much Death Metal but if I could find more bands that fit these requests I would be listening to it quite frequently. Just one condition for this, I'm actually not looking for melodic death metal at all with these but rather any other kind of death metal, I have nothing against I but I'm trying to find other kinds of Death Metal. Also, I'm super turned off by satanic or antichristian bands so please don't recommend them.

1. Bands/Releases that are highly atmospheric and/or use "pseudo-melodies". The atmospheric part is highly self-explanatory, just something with a very clear and well-defined vibe. It should be undeniably present though (I've heard way too many people saying certain slam albums have a "filthy" atmosphere, despite the fact that they are indeed filthy but contain no atmosphere whatsoever). Also, as for "pseudo-melodies", I'm just describing a highly atmospheric kind of guitar playing that doesn't result in clean guitars or anything that usually gets called a "melody" but is very vibe heavy, or maybe just ridiculously subtle "melodies". I get that "pseudo-melodies" is a vague, unknown term, just check out Cerebral Bore tracks because they're doing it constantly and that's the trait I'm looking for (not necessarily brutal death bands though just that trait).

2. There are a few melodic cuts I've seen on regular death metal albums, it's not melodic death but I hear these get called "ballads" a lot. Track like this or this are what I'm looking for. A whole album of these kinds of tracks would be amazing.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:48 am 

I was about to recommend Dismember to you, but then saw you were already familiar with them.

Some random old school bands / albums that come to mind based on your request....

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus

As melodic as death metal gets without heading into the melodic death metal direction. Has a bit of an ancient atmosphere to it, too.

Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade

Out of their early albums probably their most dense record. Features a lot of ''epic'' melodic guitar lines alternating with crushing riffs.

Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows

Swedish death metal that's as melodic as the genre can get; at times it's spooky, at times it's experimental, yet the album is full of melodic, albeit not sugary sections that should keep you hooked.

Runemagick - The Supreme Force of Eternity / Enter the Realm of Death

Interesting contrastive death metal; the former is a bit inconsistent, but the latter is near 54 minutes of crushing, yet subtly melodic death metal.

The Chasm - From the Lost Years...

A personal favorite of mine; features the same ancient atmosphere not unlike that of the aforementioned Amorphis record, yet this feels even more epic and grandiose and sentimental.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:20 am 

colin040 wrote:
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus

They aren't "super satanic", but Pilgrimage has the word "Satan" in it, and Lost Name of God is a critique of the Christian Church. So camjr01 might need to skip these tracks.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am 

camjr01 wrote:
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting in this help thread, I was just wondering if I could get help on these two queries- I don't listen to that much Death Metal but if I could find more bands that fit these requests I would be listening to it quite frequently. Just one condition for this, I'm actually not looking for melodic death metal at all with these but rather any other kind of death metal, I have nothing against I but I'm trying to find other kinds of Death Metal. Also, I'm super turned off by satanic or antichristian bands so please don't recommend them.

1. Bands/Releases that are highly atmospheric and/or use "pseudo-melodies". The atmospheric part is highly self-explanatory, just something with a very clear and well-defined vibe. It should be undeniably present though (I've heard way too many people saying certain slam albums have a "filthy" atmosphere, despite the fact that they are indeed filthy but contain no atmosphere whatsoever). Also, as for "pseudo-melodies", I'm just describing a highly atmospheric kind of guitar playing that doesn't result in clean guitars or anything that usually gets called a "melody" but is very vibe heavy, or maybe just ridiculously subtle "melodies". I get that "pseudo-melodies" is a vague, unknown term, just check out Cerebral Bore tracks because they're doing it constantly and that's the trait I'm looking for (not necessarily brutal death bands though just that trait).

2. There are a few melodic cuts I've seen on regular death metal albums, it's not melodic death but I hear these get called "ballads" a lot. Track like this or this are what I'm looking for. A whole album of these kinds of tracks would be amazing.

All this is a bit vague but have you tried stuff like Artificial Brain?

Or even stuff like Ulcerate and Gorguts. Plenty of atmosphere, subtle melodies, no satanic/anti-christian themes, etc.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:56 pm 

anyone know of some good brutal death metal that uses high vocals time to time? A well placed scream or shriek can do so much on a death metal track and it's something BDM bands seem to rarely do. Layered vocals welcome too

Ideally what I need out of a brutal death metal band is an infectious rhythm section, and really thick guitars with dark tones, and a convincingly oppressive atmosphere. now if someone knows something like with the high pitched shrieks I'm looking for I'd love to hear it

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:48 pm 

wraithlike wrote:
anyone know of some good brutal death metal that uses high vocals time to time? A well placed scream or shriek can do so much on a death metal track and it's something BDM bands seem to rarely do. Layered vocals welcome too

Ideally what I need out of a brutal death metal band is an infectious rhythm section, and really thick guitars with dark tones, and a convincingly oppressive atmosphere. now if someone knows something like with the high pitched shrieks I'm looking for I'd love to hear it

Dripping have an unusual amount of screamy time. Not really the most infectious churning rhythm section though, more experimental and scattershot with ideas.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:23 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
wraithlike wrote:

Dripping have an unusual amount of screamy time. Not really the most infectious churning rhythm section though, more experimental and scattershot with ideas.

you know it's been like a decade since I've listened to that album, I think it's about time I checked it out again. I do remember loving the fuck out of it when I first heard it. I'd totally forgotten about it and completely forgotten it having screams. thanks!

edit: this thing definitely holds up and I'm glad I revisited it. has a lot of great ideas and I only wish it was either longer, or that they made more material, or that more brutal death metal bands took note of this and tried to deviate more often.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:50 pm 

I'm looking for some murky, eerie, yet dynamic death metal in the vein of Cenotaph's The Gloomy Reflection of our Inner Sorrows and Sororicide's The Entity. No inaudible cavernous stuff please!

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:30 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I'm looking for some murky, eerie, yet dynamic death metal in the vein of Cenotaph's The Gloomy Reflection of our Inner Sorrows and Sororicide's The Entity. No inaudible cavernous stuff please!

Hope these are not too obvious:

Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation
Mangled Torsos - Drawings of the Dead
Phantasm - The Abominable
Crucifixion - Desert of Shattered Hopes

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:47 am 

Boychev wrote:
mike_87 wrote:
Can anyone recommend more bands quite similar to the goregrind/Death metal era early Carcass? I checked their first three albums recently, in particular Symphonies of Sickness was amazing, I only originally knew their later stuff but these albums are way better! What a pity they don't play anything close to that sound anymore. Nice and heavy and fast as well please :)

Napalm Death's Mentally Murdered EP (1989) has Bill Steer on guitar and is very much in the same death/grind style - obviously without the gore and more on the side of grind.

I've always lumped in Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos with Carcass' first couple of albums as well, the filthy riffs are really in the same spirit, though used for different purposes.

As for Carcass-worship, check out:
Necrony - Pathological Performances (1993)
General Surgery - Necrology EP (1991)
Pathologist - Grinding Opus of Forensic Medical Problems (1993)

Seems odd how no one suggested Exhumed...they also seem to be often heavily compared to Carcass.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:28 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Seems odd how no one suggested Exhumed...they also seem to be often heavily compared to Carcass.

Exhumed (and Impaled) are like what would've happened between Necroticism and Heartwork, with the attitude and aggression of the former but the hooks and melody of the latter.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:30 am 

I'd say that Impaled sits in the spaces between Symphonies, Necroticism and Heartwork. Especially the first two albums have a brutal rawness to them that brings to mind an earlier, savager Carcass.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:45 pm 

Looking for stuff that sounds like Nocturnus' The Key. Anyone got ideas?

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:36 pm 

That's tough, Nocturnus really are one of a kind
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:32 am 

Maybe Catacomb - In the Maze of Kadath? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro6wTFFWj4Q

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:07 am 

What's some good 2020 DM albums you don't see mentioned much if at all? For my money's worth, 2020 was an absolute insane year for death metal and a lot of the good stuff seems to have gone under the radar on here at least. Shoulda probably have been more active in the good releases 2020-thread in the main forum.

Here are some of my favorites from last year

The Heretics Fork - Opacis Doloris - absolutely crazy, might be my AOTY. If Brodequin and Portal had a love child it might sound like this? Unrelenting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2CDLZ_ZWjo&t=1264s

Ecchymosis - Ritualistic Intercourse Within Abject Surrealism - insane BDM from Thailand, pulverizing snare drums and never gets stale. One of my absolute favorites from last year. https://ecchymosis.bandcamp.com/releases

Thætas - Shrines to Absurdity - off kilter and super brutal Gorguts-play-BDM in the vein of Artifical Brain and Teeth, but more unhinged. Great stuff https://thaetas.bandcamp.com/album/shrines-to-absurdity

Dearth - To Crown All Befoulment - this one I've seen mentioned on the forum a few times, but it's great. A more dissonant Dead Congregation. Killer stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMVUKc-6Zw

Putrescent Seepage - Dead and Demented - apart from having one of the greatest titles last year, this is some prime New Standard Elite brutality. Just really dynamic and well written BDM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzp4j6lpnAg&t=22s

Found Hanging - Spilled Forth Despoiled Remnants - in the same NSE ballpark, but this EP is just super intense and to the point. First class brutality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_AtZgY ... axAnuWVW-0

Some honourable mentions
Encenatrakh - probably the most insane release of last year for me, but it's more like concept art of taking TBDM to it's logical extreme than actual music. Not something you listen to everyday, but I like it. https://encenathrakh.bandcamp.com/releases

Edenic Past - Red Amarcord - not at all as far out there as Encenathrakh, but a little bit in the same vein (they share a few members), this is some pretty cool experimental TBDM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onxUwT5 ... InSwzFvCAw

Cosmovore - Into the Necrosphere - a cleaner, more riffy Portal, definitely deserves a listen if you're into this kind of DM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=Iw ... e=youtu.be

Omegavortex - Black Abomination Spawn - seen them mentioned a few times around here, pretty cool and dynamic death/black, Angelcorpse vibes here and there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV0hfCK ... B8GsUr0-YM

What else is good but not talked about enough from 2020?

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:23 pm 

I just discovered Oxygen Destroyer today and holy fuck. My mind is blown. Can anyone recommend me something similar? Looking for constant kickass riffing in a relatively traditional style played at lightning speed.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:11 pm 

andersbang wrote:
What's some good 2020 DM albums you don't see mentioned much if at all?

Here are a bunch of my favorites from last year that I think didn't get much attention at all, at least not on the M-A forum. All various styles of old school, HM2, death/thrash, death/doom etc

Ancient Crypts - Inhaling the Fumes of a Burning Carcass
https://cryptsofeternity.bandcamp.com/a ... rcass-10ep

Invictus (Jpn) - The Catacombs of Fear
https://invictus3.bandcamp.com/releases

Reincarnage - Reap
https://reincarnage.bandcamp.com/

Exhumation (Ind) - Eleventh Formulae
https://exhumation.bandcamp.com/

Subtype Zero - Ceremonious Extinction
https://subtype-zero.bandcamp.com/album ... extinction

Cystic - Sworn Enemy of Life
https://cystic666.bandcamp.com/album/sw ... my-of-life

Pyre (Rus) - Chained to Ossuaries
https://pyredeathmetal.bandcamp.com/alb ... -ossuaries

Kult Mogił - Torn Away the Remains of Dasein
https://paganrecords.bandcamp.com/album ... -of-dasein

Cryptworm - Reeking Gunk of Abhorrence
https://cryptworm.bandcamp.com/album/re ... abhorrence

Thirsty Demon - Unconscious Suicide
https://thirstydemon.bandcamp.com/releases

Crematory Stench - Shrouds in the Mist
https://crematorystench.bandcamp.com/al ... n-the-mist

Invincible Force - Decomposed Sacramentum
https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com ... acramentum

Wombripper - Macabre Melodies
https://wombripper.bandcamp.com/

Vacuous - Katabasis
https://vacuousdeath.bandcamp.com/releases

Lie in Ruins - Floating in Timeless Streams
https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com ... ss-streams

Engulfed (Tur) - Vengeance of the Fallen
https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com ... the-fallen

Pharmacist - Medical Renditions of Grinding Decomposition
https://bizarreleprous.bandcamp.com/alb ... omposition

Obturate - Carne
https://obturate.bandcamp.com/album/carne

Dira Mortis - Ancient Breath of Forgotten Misanthropy
https://diramortis1.bandcamp.com/album/ ... isanthropy

Thorn (USA) - The Encompassing Nothing
https://thornx.bandcamp.com/album/the-e ... ng-nothing

Confrontation (Nld) - The Six Battles of Courland
https://confrontationhm2.bandcamp.com/a ... f-courland

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:20 am 

Cheers. A lot of that stuff isn't really to my taste, but it's always good to shine a spot on the underground.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:51 pm 

andersbang wrote:
Maybe Catacomb - In the Maze of Kadath? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro6wTFFWj4Q

this shit is fucking amazing.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:28 am 

Got a few questions / looking for a few recommendations

I've been in the mood for Master again lately. I've heard the first two albums and gonna re-try the unreleased 1985 album. Should I bother with anything after this? If so, should I go chronologically or what?

Does anyone know death metal in the vein of Bolt Thrower's In Battle There Is No Law and Slaughter's Strappado?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 289  Next