Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
marcus2020
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:44 pm 

Basically, due to the lack of help/replies I got when I asked a couple of pages back, I'm bumping this.

marcus2020 wrote:
If someone can suggest a band that sounds just like Gorgasm but does NOT have ANY misogynistic rape/sexual deviance lyrics, hook me up with it.

Please, don't tell me you can't make out what they say as an excuse.

I've asked at other places without much help. The suggestions that I ended up getting sounded far closer to technical death metal than brutal death metal to me.

So please, do not suggest any band whose genre here has the word "technical" in it. After all, Gorgasm is a brutal death metal band.

Big92Tex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 pm 

Howdy,

IN SHORT: I'm looking for death metal that sounds (for lack of better words) bad@$$, maybe even "triumphant" (as opposed to death metal that sounds very dissonant or dismal)

I thank you all for this community/resource for music discovery!

I'M A NEWB TO DEATH METAL. My intro to death(ish) metal were Carcass-Surgical Steel and Misery Index-The Killing Gods (love both of these).

The below list is a scattered sample, but to my ears, these are all fairly hooky/catchy, and none of them have a very dissonant/dismal atmosphere... They just sound bad@$$. What death metal bands are heavy, but NOT too dissonant/dismal/depressing sounding?

What are some toe-tappers like these? Thanks

Baphomet - The Dead Shall Inherit
Blood - O Agios Pethane
Massacra - Signs of the Decline
Broken Hope - Mutilated and Assimilated
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead
Bolt Thrower - All Albums
Perdition Temple - Sacraments of Descension
Cerebral Rot - Odious Descent Into Decay
Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance
Bloodbath - Everything I've heard so far
Vastum - Everything I've heard so far
Anata - Everything I've heard so far
Vader - I like their sound as a whole, but sometimes I find their lyrics and their delivery to be strange

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:16 am 

Plenty of those bands don't even sound alike, but if you're looking for some reminiscent of Bolt Thrower in terms of riffs and mood, maybe give Funeral Leech a try. Runemagick have their Bolt Thrower-esque moments too...my favorite of them is Enter the Realm of Death.

Big92Tex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:41 pm 

Thanks colin040 for the recs! I am going to check out Funeral Leech and Runemagick tonight. You are right about my original list, so I gathered some songs for reference of what I'm looking for. They all have either groovy parts/riffs that get stuck in my head, or they have an aggressive mood, or both. I'm looking for catchy, groovy stuff from any subgenre of death metal. Just a note, I also have an ongoing list of the "essential albums" that I'm working through, so it's not that I'm only interested in catchy metal... I realize that some of the best stuff takes time and repeat listens to "click". But I also like to accumulate BANGERS in my workout playlist haha. Thanks again!

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:27 am 

Hi all, I'm looking for (preferably newer) death metal that is complete and total Altars of Madness worship. I've been loving Sanctifying Ritual and the newest Invincible Force album lately, and I want more stuff in that vein.

Obviously there are plenty of bands that are influenced by Morbid Angel but I'm looking for bands that sound like Altars of Madness specifically. I'd prefer if the instrumentation didn't get too intricate or atmospheric (like Infernal Conjuration, who I saw mentioned on the last page).

I know Mortem, Atomic Aggressor, and Sadistic Intent. Anything that could fit nicely on a playlist with them is more than welcome.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:21 am 

Big92Tex wrote:
Howdy,

IN SHORT: I'm looking for death metal that sounds (for lack of better words) bad@$$, maybe even "triumphant" (as opposed to death metal that sounds very dissonant or dismal)

I thank you all for this community/resource for music discovery!

I'M A NEWB TO DEATH METAL. My intro to death(ish) metal were Carcass-Surgical Steel and Misery Index-The Killing Gods (love both of these).

The below list is a scattered sample, but to my ears, these are all fairly hooky/catchy, and none of them have a very dissonant/dismal atmosphere... They just sound bad@$$. What death metal bands are heavy, but NOT too dissonant/dismal/depressing sounding?

What are some toe-tappers like these? Thanks

Baphomet - The Dead Shall Inherit
Blood - O Agios Pethane
Massacra - Signs of the Decline
Broken Hope - Mutilated and Assimilated
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead
Bolt Thrower - All Albums
Perdition Temple - Sacraments of Descension
Cerebral Rot - Odious Descent Into Decay
Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance
Bloodbath - Everything I've heard so far
Vastum - Everything I've heard so far
Anata - Everything I've heard so far
Vader - I like their sound as a whole, but sometimes I find their lyrics and their delivery to be strange

I think you might get a kick out of Gotsu Totsu Kotsu. I'm not sure what to recommend from them, though, I just listened to some albums years ago.

Artofgrind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:38 am 

colin040 wrote:
If anyone's looking for more death metal in the vein of The Chasm's Procreation of the Inner Temple, there's this demo-only band named Grace of Despair. It features the same sort of introspective vibe.

check out https://tideless.bandcamp.com/album/adrift-in-grief

The whole thing is pretty much a Chasm tribute.
but fans of Bethlehem and Dispirit will also appreciate it

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:26 pm 

Artofgrind wrote:
colin040 wrote:
If anyone's looking for more death metal in the vein of The Chasm's Procreation of the Inner Temple, there's this demo-only band named Grace of Despair. It features the same sort of introspective vibe.

check out https://tideless.bandcamp.com/album/adrift-in-grief

The whole thing is pretty much a Chasm tribute.
but fans of Bethlehem and Dispirit will also appreciate it

Wow, first song sounds really good so far. Thanks for the recommendation!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:27 pm 

praey wrote:
Hi all, I'm looking for (preferably newer) death metal that is complete and total Altars of Madness worship. I've been loving Sanctifying Ritual and the newest Invincible Force album lately, and I want more stuff in that vein.

Obviously there are plenty of bands that are influenced by Morbid Angel but I'm looking for bands that sound like Altars of Madness specifically. I'd prefer if the instrumentation didn't get too intricate or atmospheric (like Infernal Conjuration, who I saw mentioned on the last page).

I know Mortem, Atomic Aggressor, and Sadistic Intent. Anything that could fit nicely on a playlist with them is more than welcome.

What about Oath of Cruelty? They're basically a thrashier take on early Morbid Angel.

https://youtu.be/TpJFqpyz7vM

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:15 pm 

I know Oath of Cruelty but that's definitely in line with what I'm looking for. Anything else along those lines is welcome.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:25 pm 

Death Metal bands with froggy Demilich-style vocals? I'm aware of Afterbirth.

Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:06 am 

praey wrote:

Vital Remain’s Forever Underground album has a style that is taken from Altars of Madness I think. The riffs and the vocal delivery is very much influenced by early Morbid Angel. Even the blast parts ala Maze of Torment or Chapel of Ghouls. Much longer songs though and less solos. Here’s a song from that album:

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:54 am 

Does anyone know any other high quality tech death bands like Necrophagist? I'm aware of Obscura. I try to stay away from weedly cacophonous bands like Rings of Saturn/Viraemia, I'm looking for something with proper composition with some amazing guitar solos. The neo classical solo style is a big plus.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:25 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
Does anyone know any other high quality tech death bands like Necrophagist? I'm aware of Obscura. I try to stay away from weedly cacophonous bands like Rings of Saturn/Viraemia, I'm looking for something with proper composition with some amazing guitar solos. The neo classical solo style is a big plus.

They're a bigger name, but do you know Spawn of Possession?

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:50 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

They're a bigger name, but do you know Spawn of Possession?

Yes, they are amazing. I had actually forgotten about them, thank you for reminding me.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:26 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

Theory in Practice have a weird name, but their albums are fantastic and well composed tech death: you can try their album Colonizing The Sun and see if you like it

Also when i think about well written tech death other names that pop up are Anata (their last album in particular), the canadian band Martyr (their album Warp Zone) and the little known Centaurus-A from germany , whose first album is great

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:28 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

Odious Mortem - Cryptic Implosion
Anata - Under a Stone With No Inscription
Hour of Penance - Paradogma
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Defeated Sanity - A Sanguinary Impetus (a bit more on the brutal death metal side of things but still dizzyingly technical, might not find a whole lot of solos here but it's still worth checking out if you like tdm)

might be pretty obvious recs but I have no idea how familiar you are with the genre. These are all very solid releases though imo

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:58 am 

Thanks a lot for the recs Morn and wraithlike. Enjoying all of these, particularly Anata, Odious Mortem and Hour of Penance is wicked, I'm surprised I haven't heard a bit more of them.

Denial of Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:06 am 

Are there any other bands that are similar to Cartilage? I’ve been listening to their split with Altar and that sound is really cool and I haven’t heard much else like it. I know the band Wings have an EP that is similar, but outside of that I don’t know.

Son0fBam81
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:37 pm 

praey wrote:

Have you heard Angel of the Eastern Gate by Sijjin?

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:58 am 

I need something like Fear Factory but I don't really want the groove. I need all out mechanical riffs at high speed, but not Brain Drill craziness. I need blast beats and heavy machine metal tremolo riffs. Preferably lyrics and themes about machines, mechs, engineering, etc. Does anyone know of anything suitable?

EDIT: Just found Divine Heresy - Bleeding The Fifth which is killer, but I can't purchase an MP3 version :/

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:35 pm 

I haven't listened to it in a while, but your description made me immediately think of Zyklon's World of Worms

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:14 am 

Can someone give me some similar albums to Fleshgod Apocalypse's debut, Oracles? It's my favorite tech death album of all time. I love that musicianship is technical but the song structures themselves are verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure. The vocals and machine gun riffing is amazing too. Anything along these lines would be great.

Also, I'm well aware of Hour of Penance before anyone suggests it.

Thanks in advance.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:05 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I haven't listened to it in a while, but your description made me immediately think of Zyklon's World of Worms

I tried it but its not close to what I am after. Later Fear Factory is the closest thing I can find but its still not aggressive enough for me, a bit too much groove.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:44 am 

I apologize if this question is too similar to one that I asked earlier in the thread, but I'm looking for technical death metal in the vein of bands like Anata, Quo Vadis, StarGazer, Cryptic Shift, Aenigmatum, VoidCeremony, The Chasm etc. (I know The Chasm aren't tech-death but a few of the bands listed here make use of their riff structure and mystical, otherworldly melodies.)

Basically tech-death that has more of an organic sound and makes creative usage of melodic, spiderweb-like guitarwork. When I say melodic I'm not taking about bands like Arsis or Allegaeon (I enjoy those bands but that's not the style I'm looking for here).

This is a very niche style so I understand if it's difficult to find recommendations.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:38 am 

Here are some examples of what i'm looking for

Darty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:58 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:

You might like Black Fast, they've got a similar (albeit less progressive) style to Cryptic Shift imo!

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:21 pm 

Darty wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:

You might like Black Fast, they've got a similar (albeit less progressive) style to Cryptic Shift imo!

I enjoy Black Fast, but they're more of a thrash metal band.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:09 pm 

Been listening to Arkhamin Kirjasto and having a blast.

Anyone knows more of that heavyened death metal, almost like heavy with death vocals?
Example:

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:28 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:
I apologize if this question is too similar to one that I asked earlier in the thread, but I'm looking for technical death metal in the vein of bands like Anata, Quo Vadis, StarGazer, Cryptic Shift, Aenigmatum, VoidCeremony, The Chasm etc. (I know The Chasm aren't tech-death but a few of the bands listed here make use of their riff structure and mystical, otherworldly melodies.)

Basically tech-death that has more of an organic sound and makes creative usage of melodic, spiderweb-like guitarwork. When I say melodic I'm not taking about bands like Arsis or Allegaeon (I enjoy those bands but that's not the style I'm looking for here).

This is a very niche style so I understand if it's difficult to find recommendations.

Check out Moss Upon the Skull. Both The Scourge of Ages and The Vengeful Reverence releases should scratch this itch.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:06 pm 

doomicus wrote:
MeavyHetal wrote:

Check out Moss Upon the Skull. Both The Scourge of Ages and The Vengeful Reverence releases should scratch this itch.

This is definitely in line with what i'm looking for, good stuff!

Radulfr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:02 pm 

I'm looking for slow and groovy death metal, with a massive guitar sound.
Anything that sounds like this:

Spoiler: show

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:52 am 

Radulfr wrote:
I'm looking for slow and groovy death metal, with a massive guitar sound.
Anything that sounds like this:

I’d recommend checking out Slugathor and Adramelech. Slugathor is heavily influenced by Bolt Thrower.

Slugathor

Adramelech

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:56 am 

Listened to The Sanguinary Impetus by Defeated Sanity. Not only is it imo the band's best effort it is arguably one of the greatest gems to ever come out of the Brutal DM genre. Recommended to all.

Anyone have other stuff that is similar pls drop some names here.

EDIT:-I just can't stop listening to this album. Gruber is a monster and this stuff can never get old.

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:18 am 

https://youtu.be/FIfuTUjiHpc

https://youtu.be/8V-UfAzwaMo

two very different dm bands, but how ťhe first 5 or so seconds of each sound is very similar. that's what I want/I'm looking for. fat thrash/y riffs like exactly that!

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:10 am 

Few bands I am listening to are:-
INVERACITY(real heavy weights in the whole Brutal DM genre. I love how they are so straightforward and direct in their brutality)
Abhorrent Castigation--definitely a band i keep coming back to. Again i feel they are very direct and i feel the brutal music does not have any distractions at all
Hate Eternal -- very strong stuff. unrelenting attack and when Rutan plays a solo it feels like it just belongs there
Destroying Divinity -- i like the sound and the production of these guys in Hell Unleashed. It's fast, it's direct it's brutal
Also listening to some less known bands like
Esophageal (it's good but i would take some points off for overdoing the slam thing)
Gory Delivery(dripping sickness)

I already do have many recommendations from earlier questions I have asked but just wanted to put this out there and hoping to get some more recs.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:31 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
INVERACITY(real heavy weights in the whole Brutal DM genre. I love how they are so straightforward and direct in their brutality)
Abhorrent Castigation--definitely a band i keep coming back to. Again i feel they are very direct and i feel the brutal music does not have any distractions at all
Hate Eternal -- very strong stuff. unrelenting attack and when Rutan plays a solo it feels like it just belongs there
Destroying Divinity -- i like the sound and the production of these guys in Hell Unleashed. It's fast, it's direct it's brutal
Esophageal (it's good but i would take some points off for overdoing the slam thing)

I already do have many recommendations from earlier questions I have asked but just wanted to put this out there and hoping to get some more recs.

You might like Vitriol, they play brutal, blasting death metal in a similar vein to bands like Hate Eternal without delving into slam territory

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:39 am 

There are a few bands by that name lol.

Did you mean this one

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Vitriol/3540446375

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:51 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Have you listened to Internecine? This was Jared Anderson’s project. He performed on the first two Hate Eternal albums.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:02 am 

Internecine was on my to-listen list. They are the kind of shit I am looking for now that I am listening to them. Pretty good stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 289  Next