Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:42 am 

Hardly 120 epic doom bands listed on the Archives. Not a popular genre it seems, hard to do right too.

Elusive Gods from Croatia are one of the very few good modern bands of this style imo. Check them out here:

https://elusivegod.bandcamp.com/

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:49 pm 

Any Death/Doom bands like Triptykon?

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:54 am 

In_Zane wrote:

Definitely Valborg

Spoiler: show

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:17 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
In_Zane wrote:

Definitely Valborg

Oh man, this is amazing! Gonna look into more of their stuff!

Cheers! :D

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:50 pm 

Are there more bands/albums/songs that have these sort of chromatic sliding riffs? As I've gotten deeper and deeper into doom over the past decade I keep thinking I'd find more bands that use them, but usually come up short, though it's possible I'm overlooking some.

This particular riff repeats in a number of spots, but 7:03 is a good example.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:52 pm 

Anyone know of any atypical drone/doom (drone metal) albums? Sunn 0)))'s Life Metal and its use of odd instuments is a good example of what I'm looking for.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:16 am 

MRmehman wrote:
Anyone know of any atypical drone/doom (drone metal) albums? Sunn 0)))'s Life Metal and its use of odd instuments is a good example of what I'm looking for.

I don't know that album by Sunno))), but I hear there're female chanting vocals... I don't find it 'atypical' from the 10+ minutes I listened to on YT though... There're must be details I skipped.

Three really different drone-related albums come to mind:

led by a female vocalist, there's a very interesting Ep by Vaee Solis; the vocals are very scarce though;this is an experimental, meandering piece of music, it's atmo, cinematic and slightly industrialized... It is definitely worth a listen.
https://youtu.be/RuAml9G4SO8

Another one featuring a female singer, weirder, plunging its roots in primitive folk-ish rituals is Sarry's Shiva:
https://heartlessrobot.bandcamp.com/album/shiva

The one (man-only) drone doom project I'm in love with is a strange one-shot of an album, a masterpiece of ritual drone doom; the cd has been stuck in my player for evenings, and listening to it was simply very absorbing, it's Echthros:
https://echthros.bandcamp.com/album/iyov

I'll come up with more if I think of any...

ggggg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:54 pm 

Hello there! I'm new in this music category. The other day I heard "Depresión by Uaral". The whole setup of this song left me speechless. I knew I had to find more songs like this or more bands like this. It would be really much appreciated if you could recommend some songs or bands like this.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:10 pm 

As a general recommendation for some good traditional doom metal, Warpriest just came out with their second album and it's really enjoyable.
https://warpriest.bandcamp.com/album/dark-ages

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:36 pm 

So I listened to the first two albums by Paradise Lost and it's gotten me curious about the subgenre of doom metal. Can anyone on here list some albums that I can listen to so I can dive in deeper? Preferably something similar to what I listened to but feel free to mention something else if it's really good.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:37 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:
So I listened to the first two albums by Paradise Lost and it's gotten me curious about the subgenre of doom metal. Can anyone on here list some albums that I can listen to so I can dive in deeper? Preferably something similar to what I listened to but feel free to mention something else if it's really good.

Paradise Lost is basically death/doom metal with some gothic influences. I'm not sure about bands with this exact style of music, but if you're looking to get into death/doom, I'd recommend you check out bands like Thorr's Hammer, Winter, Spectral Voice, Rippikoulu, Black Lodge, Disembowelment, and Katatonia's first two albums. Some of it leans more towards doom while others lean towards death, but a lot of these bands are good for getting into death/doom.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:22 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:

Thorr's Hammer, Winter, Spectral Voice, Rippikoulu, Black Lodge, Disembowelment, and Katatonia's first two albums.

^^ Definitely backing these recommendations up.

Would also recommend these as well;

My Dying Bride - As the Flower Withers
Anathema - Serenades
Theatre of Tragedy - Theatre of Tragedy
Novembers Doom - Amid Its Hallowed Mirth
Morgion - Among Majestic Ruin
Dusk - Majestic Thou in Ruin
Cemetary - Godless Beauty
Tiamat - The Astral Sleep

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:43 am 

Stunning meandering stoner Doom: BROCA from Mexico. The sound is heavy and droney and then the excellent heady psychedelic guitar lines make the album an otherwordly voyage. It reminds me of the Spanish Orthodox. First track is very good and the last minutes of it just sublime.

https://broca.bandcamp.com/album/1954-2

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:15 pm 

Funeral doom or death/doom bands that sound like Evoken? Recently been getting into both styles so any recs would be appreciated.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:26 pm 

Currently looking for any doom metal (stoner/sludge) with death metal vocals (gutterals/growls). Closest I've heard so far is Jupiterian's "Protosapien". I want to hear more like this. Some drone is ok, but I want focus on the aforementioned styles.

draconiondevil wrote:
Funeral doom or death/doom bands that sound like Evoken? Recently been getting into both styles so any recs would be appreciated.

Ahab. Start from the first album and onwards. Top tier funeral doom from Germany.

Also try Un "Sentiment" .. it's pretty much Ahab/Evoken worship. Not bad.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:24 am 

draconiondevil wrote:

Suffer Yourself's latest album: https://sufferyourself.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:16 pm 

Hope it's the right place to post this (the doom/death metal thread has died pretty much), but I'm looking for more stuff in the veins of Tiamat's Clouds. You know, that simplistic heavy, yet ethereal doom metal stuff with gruff vocals. I already know Mental Home, Evilized, Lake of Tears, Cemetary and Soulsearch and Visionaire...might have forgotten some bands though.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:14 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Hope it's the right place to post this (the doom/death metal thread has died pretty much), but I'm looking for more stuff in the veins of Tiamat's Clouds. You know, that simplistic heavy, yet ethereal doom metal stuff with gruff vocals. I already know Mental Home, Evilized, Lake of Tears, Cemetary and Soulsearch and Visionaire...might have forgotten some bands though.

Have you tried Argentum? They are pretty much as close as you can get to old Tiamat.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:55 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Have you tried Argentum? They are pretty much as close as you can get to old Tiamat.

I wrote a review for that album, so yes, I have! :D

That album reminds me more of The Astral Sleep though...both albums are very cool.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:40 am 

If the rest of the new album by Apostle of Solitude is as good as this song, it might end up being their best:

happyfriggincamper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:36 am 

Have tried the search function and either user error or this band hasn't come up much in the way or requests or recommendations.

Youtube search return sucks and done trying to use it to find low key bands and releases that sound similar to "Reefer - Bow before the altar of drugs".

ISO anything that has a similar likeness in vibe, pace, production to this demo - fuzzed out and degraded lumbering grooves that come across somewhere between (but nowhere inparticular) of a death/doom/stoner/sludge label.

Much appreciated

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:33 am 

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Have tried the search function and either user error or this band hasn't come up much in the way or requests or recommendations.

Youtube search return sucks and done trying to use it to find low key bands and releases that sound similar to "Reefer - Bow before the altar of drugs".

ISO anything that has a similar likeness in vibe, pace, production to this demo - fuzzed out and degraded lumbering grooves that come across somewhere between (but nowhere inparticular) of a death/doom/stoner/sludge label.

Much appreciated

Wow, this is awesome

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:16 am 

https://youtu.be/Yjw5G8R48BI

Check this out! I just bumped into it. I can't find much on this band!

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:52 am 

Hello.
Could anyone give me a few recommendations of doom or doom/death metal albums that have some noticeable ''melodic'' bass playing (the bass does not have to be the lead musical instrument on an album, just albums that have a few audible, relatively long and memorable melodic bass lines/solos)?

If there are any slow(-er) "doomy" death metal albums with some audible melodic basslines, they also fit. For example, something similar to this part of the song "The Graeae" by Desolate Shrine (33:39-36:20):
https://youtu.be/gFS4MYWwdqE?t=2019

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:47 am 

I'm mesmerized by this stoner doom album. Groovy and dark. I can't say I'm a hardcore stoner fan , but when it still holds this kind of melancholic vibes, I'm all for it.

https://ripplemusic.bandcamp.com/album/ ... black-moon

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:48 pm 

sjal wrote:
Hello.
Could anyone give me a few recommendations of doom or doom/death metal albums that have some noticeable ''melodic'' bass playing (the bass does not have to be the lead musical instrument on an album, just albums that have a few audible, relatively long and memorable melodic bass lines/solos)?

Is funeral doom too slow to fit the request? Check the intro:

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:37 am 

coupdebleus, thanks for the recommendation!
I love the bass playing from the intro: it's long and beautiful, exactly what I'm looking for. Funeral doom metal and slow tempo basslines are absolutely OK for the request.

Sorry, I should have given a more detailed description of the request. I ask for these recommendations because of this post in the thread about bass guitars on metal albums:

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
If your reasoning is that one guitar is rhythm, the other lead, you have more possibilities, with bass. You can have the rhythm sound heavier. Or you can have all three instruments play different melodies, with one rhythm, and two leads.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133337

which made me realize that I'd really like to recall / to find and to listen to a few albums in doom metal genre (which is my favorite genre of metal music) that have some relatively long and memorable melodic basslines/solos, so this request is actually quite broad (sorry, I hope it is allowed here to have a request with such a wide variety of subgenres): I'm mostly a fan of atmospheric/melodic doom, doom/death and funeral doom metal, but I also listen to traditional doom, epic doom, gothic doom, death/doom and black/doom metal, - so albums from any of these subgenres are OK for the request.
(technically, some ''moderately extreme'' (i.e. relatively accessible musically and acceptable lyrically) slow/mid tempo death metal / or "doomy" blackened death metal / or some heavy-sounding black metal albums that have a few slow/mid tempo parts with audible melodic bass guitar playing also fit (that slower part on the Desolate Shrine's song from my example has much more of a black metal feel and atmosphere, but this is the only example from a death metal-related album that I know tbh), but now I think this part of the request is way too offtopic for this thread, I apologize).

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:49 pm 

Well, I reckon it's hard to find bass with independent lines in doom because so much of the style's heaviness lies in the way it locks with the drums and gives bottom and depth to the riffs; if we were talking about the tech/shreddy corners of metal it'd be much easier to find examples. But now that you've widened the spectrum, have some more recs.

Bethlehem is king in having bass leads, often building sections or even songs out of them, much in the same way The Cure would:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMlJfEM8094
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xiZGMQcWx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aiz88Pqbwk

Agalloch's postdoomblackwhatever Our Fortress is Burning is sustained by solid yet melodic bass grooves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOKcfyo3-xE

A bit of a shameless plug, but I believe the song Plata from my band's latest album fits your request to a T.
https://youtu.be/aF7VuSn0h4M?t=1027

The first bassist in Psicósfera wrote some amazing lines:
https://youtu.be/a-FBDzFrG5I?t=2182

Doesn't do much for me tbh, but if there's somewhere you'll find some melodic bass, it's on Free Nelson Mandoomjazz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKZZv179D6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZmf851pn6M

Some doomier (in mood) songs in Gorgoroth's early catalog have some very melodic bass lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QndBUisJyqo

I'll post more if I come up with something else.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:13 pm 

Anyone know of any drone doom type bands with Neurosis-esque tribal drumming?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:15 pm 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Anyone know of any drone doom type bands with Neurosis-esque tribal drumming?

Could you point us to one particular song by Neurosis that would showcase this drum sound you're looking for?

I was relistening to Given to the Rising, and nowhere the drumming took any tribal accents to me... (what I can imagine as savage tam-tam , hypnotic rolls etc. but I heard none of that ... )

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:49 am 

Welp, I found my AOTY which also happens to be the debut album and first release of the Greek doom metal band Dismal Sleep. MA has them tagged as "Epic Doom Metal," but with their horror like atmosphere I feel they have more in common with the likes of Abysmal Grief than Candlemass or Solitude Aeturnus. Killer shit all the same.

Dismal Sleep - Beyond the Veil (bandcamp)

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:06 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Could you point us to one particular song by Neurosis that would showcase this drum sound you're looking for?

I was relistening to Given to the Rising, and nowhere the drumming took any tribal accents to me... (what I can imagine as savage tam-tam , hypnotic rolls etc. but I heard none of that ... )

Yeah, Given to the Rising doesn't have much of that style.

This song from 6:10 onwards is what I'm on about. Also my favourite drum beat.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:36 am 

Ok, well both these albums contain such drum play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwarpiqHyFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6C3Zc7CQfk

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:34 pm 

I'm liking both those albums, Process of Guilt especially are excellent. I had something slower in mind though like with huge chords ringing out. Thanks for the recs.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:57 am 

Process of Guilt followed a curious course: they began like a melodic death doom band, writing a very fine album ('Renounce' gets a rating of 100% on MA) after two outstanding demos that reallly deserve to be heard, and then make that turn towards sludgy post-doom, which become rawer and rougher with each new release.

Genreration of Vipers haven't produce anything since this album, except a live album.. Too bad, 'cause it's quite impressive imo.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:32 pm 

coupdebleus , thanks again for the recommendations, and many thanks for the descriptions and examples that you have provided.

Sorry for the late reply: I saw the post with the recommendations in this thread, and I always try to give more detailed comments on recommendations in order to make my requests more specific and clear, but I was temporarily unable to listen to recommendations+to give feedback, plus most of the recommendations are too 'uneasy listening' for me and I still need more time+efforts to (re)listen to them in more detail (because I'm not sure if I can get into them).
I hope it's ok.

coupdebleus wrote:
Well, I reckon it's hard to find bass with independent lines in doom because so much of the style's heaviness lies in the way it locks with the drums and gives bottom and depth to the riffs; if we were talking about the tech/shreddy corners of metal it'd be much easier to find examples.

Yes, I know it: in fact, it was+is very difficult for me to provide examples of doom metal albums that fit into this request (especially from my favorite subgenres and styles of doom metal music).
I get what you mean, but my problem is that I have difficulty/inability in getting into metal albums that have too much technicality, complexity and speed, and my tastes in music tend to be more ''accessible" and "straightforward" in general, plus for me this request is not only about technical side of the music and songwriting (and I don't play bass guitar: just enjoy listening to it in music) but also about certain kinds of mood/feel/atmosphere that these melodic ''independent'' basslines can create/'amplify'/'enhance' on certain metal albums/songs, - so that's why slower+simpler/more repetitive metal music in general (and doom metal albums in particular, because sad/depressing sound, mood and atmosphere are prevalent in most subgenres of doom metal music) is much more suitable for me.
Of course, ''non-independent'' bass guitar playing that gives doom metal music a heavy accent is very important and I love heaviness on doom metal albums, but I also love those albums that have some 'less heavy/non-heavy and more soft+melodic' parts as well.
As I wrote before, bass guitar playing does not have to be 'predominantly independent and melodic' on an album, and albums that have just a few (2-5) relatively long (~ 30 seconds - 2 minutes) parts with audible and memorable melodic basslines are absolutely OK for the request:
it can be a relatively long slow/mid tempo 'soft and sad' melodic bassline/solo* that is positioned on a non-metal intro of an album/song / or on a non-metal part somewhere in the middle of a song and that is clearly audible (i.e. separately from other musical instruments + maybe with some non-heavy electronic atmospheric music / or with an acoustic musical instrument / or with an additional clean electric guitar + and some softer slow/mid tempo drums are also ok) and then, when the non-metal part ends, the bass guitar can just go to the 'supporting work' on a metal part of the song/album
+ and/or this slow/mid tempo melodic bassline can be positioned on a relatively long non-metal outro of a song/album
+ and/or it can be metal songs where relatively long (and relatively well-audible) slow/mid tempo melodic basslines are positioned on those slow/mid tempo metal parts of a song where the rest of metal music is simpler/less active and more repetitive, etc...
(And, I don't know, maybe those slow/mid tempo melodic basslines/solos doesn't have to come from an 'actual' bass guitar and maybe stuff like this also can work relatively well on doom metal albums in some cases..: https://guitargearfinder.com/guides/gui ... ke-a-bass/

///
And this is off topic for Doom Metal Help Thread, but as for non-heavy/less heavy-sounding metal albums that have a sad/depressing mood/atmosphere and interesting slow/mid tempo basslines, this EP has such an amazing bass playing: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Strid/Strid/16706
The guitar playing is not heavy and its distorted sound is very atmospheric, the drums are some of the softest drums I've ever heard in metal music, and the prominent bass guitar playing is so interesting - it's soft but very emotional at the same time. The music and the vocals create such an amazing atmosphere: it's very sad, depressing, melancholic and strangely soothing. I listen to albums/songs with this kind of atmosphere in a certain mood/state when I need to cry myself to sleep, and they are very helpful and are one of my all-time favorites, but the vast majority of them are non-metal albums, - so I am very grateful that this band was mentioned on the MA forum a short time ago, I have never heard/read about Strid before, unfortunately.

///
* As for examples of non-metal intros/or any other parts with a slow/mid tempo bass solo, I have to admit that it was+is even harder for me to recall/to find examples of it, so I'll just try to explain why I'd like to listen to it on a doom metal album:
When it comes to "traditional" slow/mid tempo solos that are provided by the lead guitar, those solos tend to have some a bit too 'high-pitched' notes that sound especially loudly in contrast to doom metal music.
It is not always so noticeable - for example, the solo at the end of the song ''Sightless'' by October Tide sounds relatively ok (but it's still a bit more 'high-pitched' than the main part of the melodic guitar playing on the album), but there are also doom metal or doom metal-related/inspired songs where solos (and especially the endings of the solos) are so 'high-pitched and brigh' in contrast to 'low and dark/depressing' metal music that you literally feel pain and suffering while listening to them.
I understand this is 'natural' for a guitar solo to be 'highly visible' and 'emotional' on a metal song and that this contrast with the rest of the metal music can be effective and can make a mood and atmosphere of a song a bit more 'dramatic', and I was even able to get into a few albums/songs that have "pain and suffering" kinds of solos (for example, the song ''Astral Mirage of Paradise'' by Decoryah - there is a high contrast between the solo and the rest of the music, and the album is not easy to listen to in general (due to the production), but I was able to get into the album, and I like this particular song as well, and I can't imagine this song without the solo: it feels like an integral 'emotional' part of the atmosphere and there is a connection between the solo and the lyrics on this song), but I'd also like to listen to some doom metal(-related) songs/albums where a solo is provided by a bass guitar (which sounds softer and quieter but at the same time which also is 'sad/depressing') and where there is no such a high contrast with the rest of the music.

///
As for mid/fast tempo melodic basslines on doom metal(-related) albums, I think they can also be suitable and enjoyable - they can bring a little variety in the music (and, as much as I love slow/mid tempo 'sad and soft/soothing' and 'not nervous/less nervous' melodic basslines emotionally, I think mid/fast tempo melodic basslines can be (objectively) much more interesting and impressive musically by comparison with slow/mid tempo ones) and they can make a mood/atmosphere of a song a bit less depressing, and at the same time they can fit quite well with the general style and sound on certain doom metal-related albums - well, at least it's a way I feel it. When it comes to mid/fast tempo "independent"' basslines on doom metal-related albums, I think those basslines work better when they are a little shorter.
For example, it can be some parts with a bit more complex and prominent mid/fast tempo basslines on doom/death metal albums / or it can be a relatively short build-up/transition from a slow to a very fast and intense part of a metal song from more extreme doom metal-related subgenres: death/doom and black/doom metal).
I think I can mention the album ''Dance of December Souls'' by Katatonia here - there are very interesting and memorable melodic basslines, and the bass guitar playing on the album is great in general.
+ And an example of an awesome mid/fast tempo bassline from the album: https://youtu.be/hNqd2ZI5-LI?t=273

About the recommendations:

First, thanks for your music. :)
Yes, the slow/mid tempo melodic (and quite long and memorable) bassline on ''Plata" (at the beginning of the song, and after 4:38) is exactly what I am looking for, plus I like the sound of the bass guitar on the melodic parts, and I like how it alternates with the heavier/more intense parts of the music.
(I think I should say that I tried to listen to the other songs/tracks from the album as well but it was harder for me to listen to the metal music, and the atmosphere + harsh vocals on ''Las urnas basálticas'' and '''Hueste'' are too 'dark', unsettling and 'uneasy listening' for me).

And I've given the album "Alpha" by Psicósfera a listen: interesting music, and the guitar, drum and bass playing are very impressive.
The style of the music on this album is too unusual/complex and 'intense' for me (plus I'm usually not really into extreme metal albums that have no vocals at all), but I have to say that it was *surprisingly* enjoyable and not very exhausting for me to listen to it (I think it's because the alternations of less intense/more intense parts of the music and the flow of the music in general are working well, plus this album has a few slow and very atmospheric+soft parts in the mix (which is always a plus for me because those softer parts make the listening process a little easier)). I like the sound of the music on this album, very much enjoyed listening to all the parts with melodic bass guitar playing (the parts with slow/mid tempo basslines are relatively short but also beautiful; and that melodic mid/fast tempo bassline that you've mentioned as an example is so awesome and interesting+uncommon), - so I've gotten this album, and I'll try to get into the music.

Free Nelson Mandoomjazz - the melodic bass guitar playing is interesting, but the sounds of the saxophone and the ways this musical instrument is used make the music too 'uneasy listening' for me..
Well, anyway, "doomjazz" is not what I was looking for in this request.

Gorgoroth - Funeral Procession - I enjoyed listening to the slower melodic bass guitar playing on this song, but I'm not sure if I can get into very fast and intense parts/songs from this album, and the vocals are too 'distorted' and disturbing for me.
In general, I was looking for less intense+less extreme kinds of black metal albums in this request. I apologize, I know "moderately extreme" is a vague and subjective term and I should have clarified it before.
I tried to get into several bands from this part of Norwegian black metal scene before, but most of the albums that I tried to listen to were+are way too extreme+intense for me. It's very influential, impressive, interesting and emotional black metal music and I can listen to and enjoy it but it was+is much easier for me to get into 'later' black metal bands (mostly from other countries, because I am not very familiar with metal from Norway in general) who have been inspired by those early Norwegian black metal bands who have 'less intense+less extreme, and more atmospheric and depressing' albums - I think most of my favorite black metal bands (who were inspired by ''Second Wave of Black Metal'' bands) were inspired by Burzum.
And I apologize again for this part of the request: it's definitely way too off topic for Doom Metal Help Thread and I shouldn't have asked for these kinds of recommendations here.

Agalloch - Our Fortress is Burning - The melodic bass guitar playing on the first parts of the ''Our Fortress is Burning I'' and ''II Bloodbird'' is good and interesting, and I like the sound of the bass guitar. Technically, both the track and the song fit into the request, and I can enjoy metal albums that have some post-rock parts/elements/influences in general, but this particular composition that is composed of the five-minute-long slow/mid tempo instrumental non-metal track, followed by the 'half-metal' song with such a long instrumental build-up/crescendo feels 'way too long' for this particular request, - so I enjoyed listening to it, but it would be better:
- if the instrumental non-metal track was just an intro/or an interlude (preferably shorter (by about 1/2) than the length of the original track but which also contains the part with the melodic bassline) at the beginning/or in the middle of an album, followed by a 'full-time' metal song;
- or if the song (''II Bloodbird'') was the first song on an album.

Bethlehem - Somnambulismus in Maschinenzimmer 30, Die anarchische Befreiung der Augenzeugenreligion, Kein Mampf mit Kutzenzangen - This is great!
I love the bass guitar playing on all these songs (both metal and non-metal, and the melodic bass guitar playing on the song ''Somnambulismus in Maschinenzimmer 30'' is especially interesting, beautiful, and memorable and it really creates an atmosphere).

I'm familiar with ''Dictius Te Necare'' and I know that this album is very impressive and diverse musically, but I rarely listened to it (because of how emotionally draining this album is), I'll try to re-listen to it.

And I've only just (for the first time) listened to their debut album ''Dark Metal'', and the bass guitar playing on this album is also very impressive and interesting.
The song "Apocalyptic Dance" is spot on - the additional (but clearly audible) slow/mid tempo bass guitar playing on the first part of the song 'amplifies' the atmosphere that is very dark, depressing and unsettling, whereas the prominent slow/mid tempo melodic bass guitar playing on the second part of the song (after 7:38) creates the atmosphere that is softer - it's very sad, beautiful and soothing at the same time (at least it's a way I feel it). I love the heaviness of the music on the first part and its contrast with the softer music on the second part of the song, and I like the diversity of the vocals.
It's very hard (emotionally) to listen to the album, but the music and the vocals are so impressive!
I'll try to get into this album as well.

Thank you very much for your help!

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:11 pm 

Don't worry, I'd say that part of the charm of fora (or emails) lies precisely in how one can give thought-out answers without feeling rushed, as opposed to instant messaging.

I think I've got a clearer picture of what you're looking for now musically, bass request aside. That state of glum pensiveness is hard to find in metal, as it's wont to carry the drama to its extremes eventually. And where those extremes are is another can of worms in its entirety indeed.
The first minutes of that earlier Asunder song are my go-to when looking to scratch that itch, but if you're willing to consider non-metal alternatives too, I believe stuff like this should fit the bill.

Glad you liked our stuff! We definitely veer towards expressing our sorrows in a more aggressive manner, as you pointed out, however.

RE: Agalloch and similar cases. It may seem sacrilegious to some, but if you got the time and patience, you can cut and paste to get only the parts that you like on the songs. Metal rarely modulates nor strays apart from the tonal center, it should be relatively simple to rearrange different sections from a song onto another.

Bartsch is a fantastic bassist. Have you listened to Bethlehem's early 2000s albums? They're more subdued in tone, compared to the first three. IMO the band was never the same without Matton, but there are some amazing songs like Rost, Whan und tote Gleise; Tod einer Dieselkatze; or Frl. Deutsch.
Mein Weg is an album that combines heavy sections and growls with softer melodies and clean vocals.

Check the coda that closes Flowing Tears' Joy Parade album (starts at 4:28)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL1yOFAvGlw
It begins with a bass melody that is later joined by two guitars to play together a three-part harmony.
If you're into goth/doom, that whole album has some fantastic bass lines and is dark and moody without falling into histrionic despair.

Good luck in your search!

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:54 pm 

coupdebleus, thank you for waiting, and thank you very much for sharing your listening experience.

coupdebleus wrote:
Bartsch is a fantastic bassist. Have you listened to Bethlehem's early 2000s albums? They're more subdued in tone, compared to the first three. IMO the band was never the same without Matton, but there are some amazing songs like Rost, Whan und tote Gleise; Tod einer Dieselkatze; or Frl. Deutsch.
Mein Weg is an album that combines heavy sections and growls with softer melodies and clean vocals.

No, I have not. ''Dictius Te Necare'' was the only album by Bethlehem that I listened to before (and that was only thanks to the recommendations from my earlier black metal-related requests here on MA). *shame*

I love the soft, sad and soothing music and atmosphere on the song ''Somnambulismus in Maschinenzimmer 30'' which you posted earlier, and the vocals on this song are very beautiful,
and the songs ''Rost, Wahn & tote Gleise'' and ''Tod einer Dieselkatze'' are also interesting and I like them (the music and atmosphere on these songs are darker and a bit more unsettling but, for me personally, the songs are easier to perceive and to get into due to this very reason - it's because, when it comes to singing in German language, for some reason, it always feels and works better for me when singing in this language is combined with music that has a bit more 'dark' sound and atmosphere), - so I'm going to try to listen to the other songs from the album ''Schatten Aus Der Alexander Welt''.
And I'll check out the album "Mein Weg" as well.

Edit: I've given Bethlehem's later albums ("Bethlehem" and "Lebe dich leer") a listen, and they are also interesting and impressive musically, and the harsh+clean female vocals are very emotional. The albums are more extreme and intense in general but there are a few softer slow+atmospheric (metal and non-metal) parts (+and the song ''Kein Mampf mit Kutzenzangen'') so I'll try to get into these albums as well.

coupdebleus wrote:
Check the coda that closes Flowing Tears' Joy Parade album (starts at 4:28)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL1yOFAvGlw
It begins with a bass melody that is later joined by two guitars to play together a three-part harmony.
If you're into goth/doom, that whole album has some fantastic bass lines and is dark and moody without falling into histrionic despair.

Thanks for the recommendation! I enjoyed listening to the melodic bassline on this particular part of the song, and the bass guitar playing on the album is interesting and beautiful in general, and as for the genre and style of the album, they fit into the request and I love the sad and beautiful music, vocals and atmosphere on the album.

coupdebleus wrote:
RE: Agalloch and similar cases. It may seem sacrilegious to some, but if you got the time and patience, you can cut and paste to get only the parts that you like on the songs. Metal rarely modulates nor strays apart from the tonal center, it should be relatively simple to rearrange different sections from a song onto another.

Thanks for the advice.
I have re-listened to that composition by Agalloch several times and kind of gotten accustomed to it, so I think there is no such a need for me to edit the original (It's quite enjoyable and easy to listen to, just a bit too long and repetitive).

coupdebleus wrote:
I think I've got a clearer picture of what you're looking for now musically, bass request aside. That state of glum pensiveness is hard to find in metal, as it's wont to carry the drama to its extremes eventually. And where those extremes are is another can of worms in its entirety indeed.
The first minutes of that earlier Asunder song are my go-to when looking to scratch that itch, but if you're willing to consider non-metal alternatives too, I believe stuff like this should fit the bill.

Yes, more intense and 'loud' expression of emotions in music and vocals is indeed much more common on metal albums. It's great and very impressive, and this is one of the most important advantages of metal albums, I love and appreciate it. And listening to more extreme and 'dramatic' metal albums is very effective and helpful when there is a need for this kind of emotional experience/outlet, and, thankfully, there are many doom metal and doom metal-related/inspired albums that are very emotional but at the same time relatively accessible musically and that have more emphasis on sadness in vocals and lyrics (+ and that have less/non-disturbing/aggressive atmosphere and imagery), - so I was+am able to listen to and to get into them, and many of them are my all-time favorites.

But yes, there are certain kinds of mood/state when I feel that it's better and more suitable to listen to songs that also have sad/depressive/melancholic mood/atmosphere but that are much softer and quieter musically+vocally.
When it comes to sad non-metal music, slow or slow/mid tempo songs/tracks that have atmospheric keyboards and/or acoustic guitars/~clean electric guitars are my favorites (and these soft and atmospheric/melodic non-metal elements are my favorites on metal albums as well). For example, the first part of this request is based on the soft and atmospheric non-metal elements from my favorite doom metal albums: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=89944&p=2982853&hilit=atmospheric+keyboards#p2982853
(it doesn't always have to be songs without drums/percussion/beats: it was just a request where I asked about those specific kinds of sad atmospheric songs that have no drums/percussion/beats at all (because drums/percussion/beats tend to sound too prominent and loud in the mix), because I can listen to them not only in a sad mood but also when I feel anxious or scared / or too nervous about something/someone).
And there are quite a few doom metal albums (that are my all-time favorites) where soft and sad atmospheric/melodic parts are provided by an acoustic guitar/clean electric guitar as well.

coupdebleus wrote:
if you're willing to consider non-metal alternatives too, I believe stuff like this should fit the bill.

This is very beautiful and emotional music, but when it comes to these string musical instruments, they also tend to sound too 'loud' and 'intense'/'dramatic' for me so I prefer to listen to them in an 'additional' form (i.e., for example, on songs/tracks that have prominent keyboards or acoustic/electric guitars and some additional violins/cello).

This request, on the other hand, made me realize that soft atmospheric/melodic elements/parts on doom metal albums can be provided not only by keyboards or by an acoustic guitar (or by some other additional acoustic musical instruments, such as violin, cello, flute, etc.)/clean electric guitar/"traditional" lead electric guitar but also by some ''independent'' melodic bass guitar playing, and I've realized that I love it so much!
The intro to Asunder's song "Rite of Finality" has an amazing music and atmosphere, and yes, it feels very suitable for this kind of sad mood, I love it.

coupdebleus wrote:
Good luck in your search!

Thanks! :)
This request made me realize that I need to pay more attention to melodic bass guitar playing in my favorite subgenres of sad/depressing music (both metal and non-metal) in general, so I'll keep looking for it.

TheSnowChild
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:43 am 

thetrueevil wrote:
Warning From United Kingdom

fpbp

In all seriousness, though, more people should know about the band 'Loss'
'Horizonless' is such an amazing album.
Although, I do think it could benefit from smoother transitions (way to out myself as a Bell Witch fan)
https://youtu.be/VhTRrJS6jL8

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:24 pm 

General rec for this band Moonstone. I've been enjoying the fuck out of them since I discovered them a few days ago. https://moonstonedoom.bandcamp.com/album/1904

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133  Next