Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:37 am 

I must recommend Thronehammer. The band is about to release it sophomore and they're imo among the very best modern epic doom bands. Their debut made a strong impression on me, went though completely under most radars.

This new song is the testimony of they ever growing talent:

https://youtu.be/veiqWA9wqCQ

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:39 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
I must recommend Thronehammer. The band is about to release it sophomore and they're imo among the very best modern epic doom bands. Their debut made a strong impression on me, went though completely under most radars.

This new song is the testimony of they ever growing talent:

https://youtu.be/veiqWA9wqCQ

I just had to check out a band with the name Thronehammer, couldn't help myself. Not bad but they should ditch the death vocals. Don't see any point in having them when you've got a perfectly good clean singer.
Having completely different styles of vocals is pointless, unless they're portraying different characters or emotions which I didn't hear in this song.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:54 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Not bad but they should ditch the death vocals. Don't see any point in having them when you've got a perfectly good clean singer.
Having completely different styles of vocals is pointless, unless they're portraying different characters or emotions which I didn't hear in this song.

What if it's the same dude doing both styles? Singers like to show off what they can do, y'know. Part of the art.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:14 pm 

interstellar_medium wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
Not bad but they should ditch the death vocals. Don't see any point in having them when you've got a perfectly good clean singer.

What if it's the same dude doing both styles? Singers like to show off what they can do, y'know. Part of the art.

Yeah sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. In this case I don't think it does and his clean vocal suited the music better. The needs of the song should come first artistically, not the singers need to show they can do everything just because they can.
Paradise Lost is an example where they usually make it work nicely.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:28 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
The needs of the song should come first artistically, not the singers need to show they can do everything just because they can.

Depends on the listener, I guess. I'm always happy to hear singers do their thing to the fullest of their abilities. We have so many albums out there with completely one-dimensional vocals... why berate the guy for trying harder :)

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:00 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
The needs of the song should come first artistically, not the singers need to show they can do everything just because they can.

Depends on the listener, I guess. I'm always happy to hear singers do their thing to the fullest of their abilities. We have so many albums out there with completely one-dimensional vocals... why berate the guy for trying harder :)

Yep depends on the listener. I'm just another armchair critic with an opinion and you know the old saying about opinions. Tho I hardly think I was berating him.

Radulfr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:08 am 

Please recommend me some songs/albums/bands, of any subgenre, that have a very "scary" atmosphere and give a feeling of impending doom, like these:

Black Tomb - Church On The Hill: https://blacktomb.bandcamp.com/track/church-on-the-hill
Sunn o))) & Boris - Etna: https://sunn.bandcamp.com/track/etna-2
Atramentus - Stygian: https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/stygian

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:40 am 

Atramentus has to be linked to the "school" of funerary extreme doom initiated by Evoken which are mandatory (less the two latest albums of theirs), then try Indesinence, Tyranny by any means, Anhedonist...

Black Tomb, it's some typical misantropic Sludge. Check out Toadliquor, Ramesses, Khanate, Grief for similar stuff. There're plenty of them. Noothgrush's 'Erode the Person' too is a classic. Some among the most crushing bands in the style are Halo, Buried at Sea (their Migration album is super heavy), Corrupted (verging on Funeral doom), Volition...

edit: I skipped the "scary" part of the request as it is really very personal and every thing slow, dark and crushing brings a smile on my face, but if I had to point you to one specific doom project, I'd say Tyranny.

Denpafighter978VGCP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:51 pm 

Searching for super melodic doom bands, or doom bands with songs less than 9 minutes, are there any?

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:58 pm 

Denpafighter978VGCP wrote:
Searching for super melodic doom bands, or doom bands with songs less than 9 minutes, are there any?

Seven minutes, instrumental, with fast-ish parts even.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:40 am 

The new Thronehammer is out and it's some amazing epic doom metal.

Their means are modest and melody-wise, there's not much to contemplate, but the pacing and rythmic ideas are excellent.
Check it out here:

https://thronehammer.bandcamp.com/album ... tion-rites

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:12 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:

Their means are modest and melody-wise, there's not much to contemplate, but the pacing and rythmic ideas are excellent.
Check it out here:

https://thronehammer.bandcamp.com/album ... tion-rites

I like Thronehammer's vocals, but as for the music, I'm not really a fan. The songs are overly long and don't really go anywhere, and the riffs don't really make me want to bob my head or hum along or anything.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:46 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Morphine1873 wrote:

I like Thronehammer's vocals, but as for the music, I'm not really a fan. The songs are overly long and don't really go anywhere, and the riffs don't really make me want to bob my head or hum along or anything.

I'm rather thinking the same about some of the songs' length. Sometimes it's just a bit too long, but eventually it works with me.
But then I'm a Funeral Doom fan too, and repeated patterns, drawn-out structures don't repel, me, on the contrary.
It's really that simplicity, and the atmosphere they manage to build with so little on the table that I find very interesting.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:35 pm 

Denpafighter978VGCP wrote:

Atrox are often quite melodic, and mostly keep to below 9 minutes:

Other than that, it might be worth checking out Atlantean Kodex:

bloodniron1976
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:10 am 

I'm interested in Saint Vitus' "The Tyrant Demos 1979" (https://www.discogs.com/Saint-Vitus-The ... e/16518768) but I'm skeptical. Does anyone on here have it / like it / find it listenable?

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:20 pm 

Looking for funeral doom and/or sludge/stoner doom that incorporate (slow) bluegrass/country overtones. Any old west, hauntings, ghost story lyrical themes are a plus. Is there anything out there like that?

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:10 pm 

Trying to hear really anthemic, catchy, get-stuck-in-your-head stoner/doom or sludge songs. Literally don't care if the riffs or vocal lines sound exactly the same from the songs below, send it my way. Clean vocals preferred, but harsh vocals will do as well.

Spoiler: show

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:03 pm 

Lately I've been binging on a few doom bands that have a decidedly loose and "jamming" style to them, as if the whole thing could peel out at any minute, but still muscular. Would really dig it if anyone could throw bands in that style at me. For examples of what I am, and am not looking for, please see below:

Bands that hit the mark
Church of Misery
Blood Farmers
Ogre
Iron Man
Pale Divine (early)
The Gates of Slumber (occasionally)
Cathedral (2nd and 3rd album)
Green Machine
Spirit Caravan
Eternal Elysium
Briton Rites

Bands that do not hit the mark
Electric Wizard
YOB
Bongripper
Cough
Weedeater
Sleep
Conan

Also, while I'm fairly well versed in doom metal and its sub-genres, there is a chance that I may have overlooked some less popular but not obscure bands in this style. My tastes tend to skew heavily towards traditional material, and self-admittedly, I can be quick to ignore and dismiss "stoner" oriented bands.

Artofgrind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 am 

Any one that's into more of the death/doom side of things check out

https://tideless.bandcamp.com/album/adrift-in-grief

for fans of Asunder, Anathema, and Evoken

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:27 am 

Looking for doom metal bands with grungy, Alice In Chains style vocals and gloomy lead guitar. Basically I want Alice In Chains with a stronger doom metal presence in the music. Bonus points if they include emotive acoustic bits ala Jar of Flies, but I know that may be too specific.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:
Looking for doom metal bands with grungy, Alice In Chains style vocals and gloomy lead guitar. Basically I want Alice In Chains with a stronger doom metal presence in the music. Bonus points if they include emotive acoustic bits ala Jar of Flies, but I know that may be too specific.

Not quite the same voice, but similar range; I was thinking of Apostle of Solitude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPF8CQ3PiA

Solitude Aeternus' The Darkest Hour has some AIC vibes too imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cev6dV6a6m4

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:05 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:

Chrome Ghost's first album is very AiC influenced.

Some of Windhand's stuff is pretty grungy, and they have the gloomy acoustic tracks as well.

Elephant Tree have the dual-vocal stylings you're looking for, though a bit more melodic side.

Hank Williams III's ADD album was actually dedicated to Layne Staley. Perhaps a bit more on the sludgy side, but definitely worth mentioning.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:11 pm 

MeavyHetal wrote:

Maybe you'd dig Hangman's Chair...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucqlCiZiG0Q
Fire walk with me"

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:22 am 

I recommend two albums to the community interested in the most extreme forms of this style:

Tetramorphe Impure see at last their superb Evoken-inspired work published by Solitude Prods. They've been active for more than a decade. They deserve it, although it is indeed very similar to Evoken's brand of extreme funerary doom. But I'm not complaining in front of such talent.

And Sorta Magora, a new project by Déhà, the Belgian magician. It's similar in tone to Yhdarl: black-ish extreme doom, unsettling, very atmo and sensitive.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:26 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:

BTW, I've just noticed it's a woman singing in Thronehammer, as surprising as it may seem. She's quite experienced as she's involved in 3 or 4 other projects.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:39 pm 

^Oh wow, that's amazing :) The only other lady who originally managed to get me fooled was Veronica Freeman.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:19 pm 

Not to be bigoty or anything, I love her voice and all, but she's trans who hasn't taken anything to adjust her voice so ah... yeah... that's why she has such a... masculine voice. Hard thing to discuss without sounding like an asshole lol.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:30 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Not to be bigoty or anything, I love her voice and all, but she's trans who hasn't taken anything to adjust her voice so ah... yeah... that's why she has such a... masculine voice. Hard thing to discuss without sounding like an asshole lol.

Hey, thanks: that's a confirmation of what I thought. I had this feeling watching a video 'cause on photo, you can't really tell.

I guess it's been a wise idea not to jeopardize her voice with chemicals as it's just perfect right now.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:46 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:

Dennis Cornelius-era Revelation has a strong AiC vibe, especially the "Frozen Masque" demo/EP.
https://youtu.be/j8wEo21UQOo

I also get a bit of an AiC vibe from Confessor's 2nd album "Unraveled". It's less jarring than the debut.
https://youtu.be/x0SrO2o_cC0

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:33 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
I guess it's been a wise idea not to jeopardize her voice with chemicals as it's just perfect right now.

:thumbsup:

Marcie Free also comes to mind, she's still got the same voice as back then in the 80s... different genres of course, but great singers both.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:25 am 

MeavyHetal wrote:

HANGMAN'S CHAIR

Malfuego
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:33 am 

Hi to all.

Please, recommend me some trad/epic/melodic doom bands from Spain (no matter with English or Spanish lyrics) with good vocals (apparently clean).

Thanks in advance.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:51 am 

Malfuego wrote:
Hi to all.

Please, recommend me some trad/epic/melodic doom bands from Spain (no matter with English or Spanish lyrics) with good vocals (apparently clean).

Thanks in advance.

Don't know if I would call Glow's vocals particularly noteworthy, but they are clean. I dig them mainly for the riffs.

Just avoid Misty Grey's Grey Mist, holy shit. :lol: The singer on Chapter II is a huge improvement, but I don't remember them being anything spectacular.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:45 am 

Malfuego wrote:
Hi to all.

Thanks in advance.

Great Coven all the way. One only album, but it has everything Doom Metal is about. It's not genius, rather it's full of entertaining clichés supported by a very strong songwriting. I'd say it's quintessential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH8pu-G06hs

Malfuego
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:42 am 

Thanks for all the suggestions (although they are not so many so far, doesn't Spain have any good doom bands?), I was not idle too, and found some valuable stuff like Black Lotus and Ered Guldur.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:57 am 

Malfuego wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions (although they are not so many so far, doesn't Spain have any good doom bands?), I was not idle too, and found some valuable stuff like Black Lotus and Ered Guldur.

I've browsed the Spanish doom list here on MA, and I can't recognize 80% of the bands, although I know a thing or two in doom... Apparently Spain isn't a major scene for Doom Metal.

I must say Great Coven is enough for the whole country, imo, héhé.

BlackEarthWitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:29 pm 

Hey all. I need help finding an album. But the only thing I remember is the album cover. I saw it in my local record store years ago and I wish I had picked it up. Here is what I remember.

1. Background was either a pale green, pale yellow, or a combination of the two. The only other color was black for the actual artwork.

2. The artwork was that of a Japanese castle atop a hill on the right side of the cover. The hill was connected by a bridge that led to the left side of the cover.

3. And I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was on Relapse Records. The bands name was also short im pretty sure. Also I'm fairly confident it was a doom/sludge band.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:16 pm 

BlackEarthWitch wrote:
Hey all. I need help finding an album. But the only thing I remember is the album cover. I saw it in my local record store years ago and I wish I had picked it up. Here is what I remember.

1. Background was either a pale green, pale yellow, or a combination of the two. The only other color was black for the actual artwork.

2. The artwork was that of a Japanese castle atop a hill on the right side of the cover. The hill was connected by a bridge that led to the left side of the cover.

3. And I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was on Relapse Records. The bands name was also short im pretty sure. Also I'm fairly confident it was a doom/sludge band.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Was it Lycus "Chasms"? Funeral doom on Relapse, greeny-yellowish cover, hill on RH with bridge leading to LH.
No discernable castle though.
https://lycus.bandcamp.com/album/chasms

BlackEarthWitch
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:55 pm 

No it wasn't that one. But I will give that a listen. The colors were not that detailed. I'm pretty sure it just black artwork o top of a greenish, yellow background. Not much to go on I know. But it's one of the artworks that just got stuck in my head.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:50 am 

Via the Relapse account on Discogs you can have a look at each coverart; if you have some time to spend on that, this could help...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 133  Next